You are going to have to be more specific, than just sounding incredulous. I have been in a number of situations where I've said, "Why the fuck did he/they do/say that. Now we are really in the shit.". And, the last thing that I want to do, is to dream about the shit that I've gone through. I'm sure there are a few domestics, that you might not want to talk about. Or, maybe could have been handled better.
If you believe that cops can't be their own worst enemy, or can put the lives of other cops in jeopardy, than it is you who is living in a dream world.
Seriously?? We are talking about ordinary mothers, fathers, students, and even children. We are NOT talking about some "sleeper cell", that has been plotting some strategy for the last 10 years. Try using evidence to support these claims. Just saying them over and over again, still don't make them true.
Did this liberal mayor and the council officials illegally obtain office? Were they all NOT voted in by a majority vote? If you don't like them, then just vote them out.
What venues does Antifa pick? Portland is one of the homes for 11 extremist White bigoted racist supremist groups. These Nazi fascist groups are exactly who Antifa targets. Many members even live in Portland, and are incensed that these people live among them. They don't believe in their divisive rhetoric, and want to do something about it. Not just do nothing and hope that these fascists get bored and stop. So they take photos, and expose the criminals for who they really are. Even to their bosses.
But they also come prepared to defend themselves from these insecure animals(the Real American Terrorists). Maybe you would prefer that they get the same treatment as Blacks did during the civil rights marches? So, what are some of these other venues selected by Antifa, where there was no racial injustice or fascist rhetoric?
This is just your narrative. So, they don't use guns or knives? You think that the gun-toten, bowie-knife wielding good old boy, would do the same? So, evidence please!! Don't you have cops already in the crowds arresting people committing these acts? Didn't you have ambulances supporting the police line to render aid to any fallen officer? I really can't comment until I see the evidence.
Again, all this does is beg the question. "Then why are you there?". If you can't engage the crowd to protect yourselves, then you are all idiots(with all due respect). With the exception of the White Night Riots, we formed an armada when trying to move any large crowd and restore order.
When I was in the CSTF/SCU we had a 4-6 line of us in the front. 3-5 lines of duty cops in riot gear behind us. 2-4 lines of volunteers and detailed officers, also in full riot gear. Behind them were 4-5 wagons. Behind them were a number of ambulances and medical/emergency vehicles and their personnel. And, behind them were a number of fire engines. Sergeants and lieutenants were placed along the sides. We would always move slow enough to allow anyone to get out of the way.
I remember my first experience. When I looked behind me, all I could say was, WOW!! This is impressive. I remember a tall Black woman who actually walked up to our lines, screamed abuses almost nose to nose. She then threw her milkshake at a very close friend of mine, which covered her face-shield and clothing. If looks could kill, but she didn't move from formation. The woman then screamed more abuses at us, and said she was going to call her lawyer, and went into the phone booth near the corner.
Once the rioting and damages began, we were told to move out. As we moved out, if anyone threw anything from above, the formation would stop, to allow some of us to smash in doors, remove the threat, and to put bodies on the pavement to be cycled to the rear. As we approached the end of the block, no one was throwing anything at us from above. As we reached the end of the block, the Black woman was still in the phone booth. We adjusted our formation to allowed my friend to move up closer to the middle of the line. We then destroyed the phone booth with the Black woman in it. She was again served as she was cycled to the rear. We then moved on. Once people saw this slow-moving juggernaut coming at them, order was restored. And no one was hurt(no officers).
Arrest were made from those who refused to move on, or tried to stand their ground. They all quickly found their way to the back of the armada. They were treated and cited, and put in the wagon until we were finished. Efficient and effective.
- Cops are human and make mistakes. Some cops shouldn't be cops. But the violence and destruction in Portland is not because of actions by the police.
- There is plenty of information available on Antifa tactics. I'm not doing google searches for you.
- There is a huge difference between holding a BLM march and instigating a riot and committing assaults and property destruction. I am not holding peaceful BLM protesters responsible for the Antifa terrorism.
- The riot tactics you described are standard riot tactics, and they are effective. I received training in those same tactics during my career. Portland Police have used them in the past, but for the most part, they are not allowed to use them anymore. They are not allowed to actually stop riotous behavior like assaults, arson, and property destruction because that might require the use of force, and the city leaders are too weak to allow it. Instead, they just let it happen, and then they "investigate" it later. They have made arrests well after the fact, after they investigate.
- You're right that the people elected these weak, feckless, leaders. Ultimately, the voters are to blame for this situation. They asked for this, they got it.