SpaceX clears first hurdle to Australian broadband market

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Postby DonDeeHippy » 05 Feb 2020, 08:17

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... and-market

Elon Musk’s SpaceX satellite broadband service has taken its first step into the Australian market. The communications regulator has added the company to a list of satellite operators allowed over Australian airspace.

The SpaceX Starlink currently has 242 satellites deployed above earth, which it plans to expand to a “constellation” of 7,518 low-earth orbit satellites.
The company launched 60 satellites into space last month, and plans to launch around 60 per fortnight in 2020.
It is aiming to have services operating in northern parts of the US and in Canada in 2020, and then “near-global coverage of the populated world” by 2021.

Much remains a mystery about what Starlink’s internet services will be like in reality. In a November 2016 filing with the US federal communications commission (FCC), SpaceX said it would be able to offer speeds of up to 1 gigabit per second for users, at “low cost”.

Yeah Cheep internet for all :) :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Re: SpaceX clears first hurdle to Australian broadband marke

Postby Dax » 05 Feb 2020, 08:58

Was on satellite until fixed wifi came along, know people who are still on NBN satellite and it is worse than when I was on it according to them. Latency is a massive issue, as is speeds, clouds, rain, electrical storms and down here the aura all cause havoc with it. To my mind it may be a big failure because of the constant need to keep all the satellites co-ordinated and stop them from crashing into other satellites and huge amount of space junk on low orbit. There is also the huge cost of transmitting to and from base stations to satellite, plus the latency there will be keeping connections between each satellite equal. I pay $75 for unlimited 50/25 fixed wifi, which is adequate for me.

Will be interesting to see how this system works and if it will provide the speeds he claims, constantly.
Dax
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 05 Feb 2020, 09:27

yup hopefully it's another winner Elon is pushing...I guess everyone can have a Edsel though.... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby karlrand » 05 Feb 2020, 14:26

Dax wrote:Was on satellite until fixed wifi came along, know people who are still on NBN satellite and it is worse than when I was on it according to them. Latency is a massive issue, as is speeds, clouds, rain, electrical storms and down here the aura all cause havoc with it. To my mind it may be a big failure because of the constant need to keep all the satellites co-ordinated and stop them from crashing into other satellites and huge amount of space junk on low orbit. There is also the huge cost of transmitting to and from base stations to satellite, plus the latency there will be keeping connections between each satellite equal.

Not to worry, the next solar storm will take care of it.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Return to Off Topic