The crucial difference in Left vs Right thinking

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

The crucial difference in Left vs Right thinking

Postby Auggie » 11 Aug 2019, 14:02

Here is an interesting debate between a Progressive Michael Brooks vs a Conservative Sargon of Akkad. I found it yesterday and I feel it really outlines the crucial difference in how the Left aims to tackle political and social issues vs how the Right aims to tackle politics and social issues.

First of all, Michael Brooks is correct in asserting that the Conservative's sole focus on 'ideas' is ahistorical and exists outside of any policy or historical considerations. Michael Brooks is also correct in suggesting that American foreign policy within specific historical contexts has contributed in part to a proliferation of extremism and massive wealth inequality in certain areas of the world. This is something which we have control over. He believes that if the West stopped supporting Saudi Arabia, this would delegitimise and reduce the spread of Wahhabhist ideology throughout the world, which is the driving factor behind much of the extremism and poverty in many parts of the world.

The issue I have with Michael Brooks is that he was/is unwilling to discuss political and social issues outside of policy and historical considerations. In the view of the leftist, extrinsic factors such as policy and institutions affect human behaviour and shape economic and social conditions. It doesn't take into consideration individual agency or personal responsibility. However, Brooks does explain that focusing on policy and historical considerations is the best way to bring people together to deal with social and political issues, since a focus on individual agency and personal responsibility would alienate potential allies. Also, we have no control over individual agency or the personal choices that people make.
Apart from chattel slavery, Jim Crow, John C Calhoun, the Robber Barons, the Civil War, George Wallace, segregation, Ronald Reagan, violent crime, serial killers and Donald Trump, what makes America the shittest nation on earth?
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

spamone: Animal

Re: The crucial difference in Left vs Right thinking

Postby johnsmith » 11 Aug 2019, 15:51

Auggie wrote:Here is an interesting debate between a Progressive Michael Brooks vs a Conservative Sargon of Akkad

where is it exactly?
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Auggie » 11 Aug 2019, 17:16

johnsmith wrote:
Auggie wrote:Here is an interesting debate between a Progressive Michael Brooks vs a Conservative Sargon of Akkad

where is it exactly?

The attached video??
Apart from chattel slavery, Jim Crow, John C Calhoun, the Robber Barons, the Civil War, George Wallace, segregation, Ronald Reagan, violent crime, serial killers and Donald Trump, what makes America the shittest nation on earth?
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby Julia » 11 Aug 2019, 19:07

NO and YES.
Julia
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 11 Aug 2019, 19:56

Auggie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

where is it exactly?

The attached video??

ahh. Due to the settings on my pc i can't see any video's ... i thought you were losing it :c :c
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Dax » 12 Aug 2019, 05:24

No video I can see either.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby hatty » 12 Aug 2019, 09:32

i can't see it either which is a shame because i am interested.

could you please post a link auggie?
hatty
Cheetah

Postby Auggie » 12 Aug 2019, 18:46

Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Aug 2019, 20:19

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 13 Aug 2019, 14:47

To all those who can't see the video, its a forum glitch you can bypass.

On your address bar will be a little symbol, looks a bit like a shield. Click on that and allow blocked content. Easy.

As to the video, i made it to about 10 minutes then got tired of the bickering. I was encouraged by the opening monologue and quite agreed with it but when the mic was opened to the other guy it just became about them talking over each other. Pity.

Auggie, could you direct me to more productive sections? It's a long time to sit through the kind of squabbling i usually try to avoid. When i hear the term 'regressive left' this droning appears in my ears.
mothra
Duck

Postby DreamRyderX » 13 Aug 2019, 15:18

mothra wrote:To all those who can't see the video, its a forum glitch you can bypass.

On your address bar will be a little symbol, looks a bit like a shield. Click on that and allow blocked content. Easy.

As to the video, i made it to about 10 minutes then got tired of the bickering. I was encouraged by the opening monologue and quite agreed with it but when the mic was opened to the other guy it just became about them talking over each other. Pity.

Auggie, could you direct me to more productive sections? It's a long time to sit through the kind of squabbling i usually try to avoid. When i hear the term 'regressive left' this droning appears in my ears.

No bickering & squabbling in this video....I Promise!

................https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxe5GcMH5yA Image

Last edited by DreamRyderX on 13 Aug 2019, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.
The US Constitution is not an instrument for the US Government to restrain the American People,
it is an instrument for the American People to restrain the US Government.
-- Patrick Henry
DreamRyderX
Feral cat

Postby DreamRyderX » 13 Aug 2019, 15:46

Again ..... No bickering & squabbling....IMHO ... Image

................https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6bSsaVL6gA Image

The US Constitution is not an instrument for the US Government to restrain the American People,
it is an instrument for the American People to restrain the US Government.
-- Patrick Henry
DreamRyderX
Feral cat

Postby johnsmith » 13 Aug 2019, 16:00

mothra wrote:As to the video, i made it to about 10 minutes then got tired of the bickering

i only lasted 5 mins. :B

I'm not going to listen to that drone for 40 mins. Is it just me or does his voice put you to sleep ?
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Dax » 13 Aug 2019, 17:02

Skipped through it, didn't change, it was all about their politics nothing else. That's not the difference between left and right thinking. The difference is, their lies sound different, but they are still all lies. They all want power and choose opposite ends of the spectrum to work from, but the outcomes are always the same for the majority, nothing.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby Aussie » 13 Aug 2019, 18:29

This'll do.

Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby Auggie » 13 Aug 2019, 18:46

Ok, here are the more productive sections:

16:00

22:00

26:00

27:30

29:30

30:30

31:30

32:30

35:30

Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby Auggie » 13 Aug 2019, 18:50

Dax wrote:Skipped through it, didn't change, it was all about their politics nothing else. That's not the difference between left and right thinking. The difference is, their lies sound different, but they are still all lies. They all want power and choose opposite ends of the spectrum to work from, but the outcomes are always the same for the majority, nothing.

The point is, that I made in the OP, is that the Left tend to focus on extrinsic factors when it comes to social and political issues, which inevitably involves focusing on policy. For example, you're unlikely to hear a Leftist says: "well, you made that choice and it led to this bad outcome, so that's your problem." They're more likely to say something like: "well, it's unfortunate that a person is in this position, what policies can we implement to help that person thrive in society?" Now, you might think that this comes down to the simple fact that the Left give a shit about people and the Right don't; in any case, it's still a political position.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby johnsmith » 13 Aug 2019, 19:20

Auggie wrote: Now, you might think that this comes down to the simple fact that the Left give a shit about people and the Right don't; in any case, it's still a political position.

is that what the 40 min video was about? you should have said that from the beginning.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Auggie » 13 Aug 2019, 19:25

johnsmith wrote:
Auggie wrote: Now, you might think that this comes down to the simple fact that the Left give a shit about people and the Right don't; in any case, it's still a political position.

is that what the 40 min video was about? you should have said that from the beginning.

Why do you always go and steal my thunder??

:gup :gup :gup :gup
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby Miranda » 14 Aug 2019, 11:47

johnsmith wrote:

I didn’t get that from the messy and arrogant posturing.

One wanted to discuss ideas which really means western values, and the other guy only wanted to discuss policy.

It was a shitful and frustrating display.
Miranda
Pitbull terrier

Postby Bongalong » 14 Aug 2019, 12:19

Auggie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Why do you always go and steal my thunder??

:gup :gup :gup :gup

Ah, THAT'S THE PROBLEM with the internet.... :tweed
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Auggie » 14 Aug 2019, 19:42

Miranda wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

I didn’t get that from the messy and arrogant posturing.

One wanted to discuss ideas which really means western values, and the other guy only wanted to discuss policy.

It was a shitful and frustrating display.

It comes down to how much you believe people are responsible for their actions.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby hatty » 14 Aug 2019, 19:46

and how their actions affect others...... to me that is the difference

i know where i stand
hatty
Cheetah

Postby Auggie » 14 Aug 2019, 20:05

hatty wrote:and how their actions affect others...... to me that is the difference

i know where i stand

Where do you stand?
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby Bongalong » 14 Aug 2019, 20:40

hatty wrote:and how their actions affect others...... to me that is the difference

i know where i stand

No one cares what you think lol :bgrin
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Next

Return to Politics