North American Beggars

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

North American Beggars

Postby Chuck » 05 Aug 2019, 14:02

It’s time to annoy the pro tipping supporters

I just can’t believe how demanding the service industry people are in Vancouver.

From my personal experience they’re worse then the Yanks in demanding a tip.
At least the Yanks tried to pull a swiftly by charging a service fee when they struck Aussies.

Fancy demanding extra for what is a normal expected service from a restaurant industry personnel

In Canada, it appears that all level of government approves begging even when you’re not homeless.
I never thought that this county would degenerate to the USA level

Its disgusting that the bill has suggestions of tipping percentage values starting at a minimum 15%

Chuck
Chuck
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 468
Joined: 11 May 2019, 18:39
spamone: Animal

Re: North American Beggars

Postby Bongalong » 05 Aug 2019, 14:12

"Suggestions?????!!!!!": nah, that's f********************************************************************* ed!

:beer
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog
 
Posts: 3270
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 11:48
spamone: Animal

Re: North American Beggars

Postby Aussie » 05 Aug 2019, 14:13

Chuck wrote:It’s time to annoy the pro tipping supporters

I just can’t believe how demanding the service industry people are in Vancouver.

From my personal experience they’re worse then the Yanks in demanding a tip.
At least the Yanks tried to pull a swiftly by charging a service fee when they struck Aussies.

Fancy demanding extra for what is a normal expected service from a restaurant industry personnel

In Canada, it appears that all level of government approves begging even when you’re not homeless.
I never thought that this county would degenerate to the USA level

Its disgusting that the bill has suggestions of tipping percentage values starting at a minimum 15%

Chuck


Yes...nasty aspect of business. The owner shifts responsibility for paying their staff directly to the customer. Nah.
User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
 
Posts: 8919
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 17:25

Re: North American Beggars

Postby Bongalong » 05 Aug 2019, 14:13

That, bro, is the further encouragement by governmental decree of slavery in the kitchen!

:roll
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog
 
Posts: 3270
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 11:48
spamone: Animal

Re: North American Beggars

Postby Bongalong » 05 Aug 2019, 14:15

Aussie wrote:
Chuck wrote:It’s time to annoy the pro tipping supporters

I just can’t believe how demanding the service industry people are in Vancouver.

From my personal experience they’re worse then the Yanks in demanding a tip.
At least the Yanks tried to pull a swiftly by charging a service fee when they struck Aussies.

Fancy demanding extra for what is a normal expected service from a restaurant industry personnel

In Canada, it appears that all level of government approves begging even when you’re not homeless.
I never thought that this county would degenerate to the USA level

Its disgusting that the bill has suggestions of tipping percentage values starting at a minimum 15%

Chuck


Yes...nasty aspect of business. The owner shifts responsibility for paying their staff directly to the customer. Nah.

It's all sanctioned by the governing bodies that be, isn't it?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog
 
Posts: 3270
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 11:48
spamone: Animal

Re: North American Beggars

Postby Dax » 05 Aug 2019, 14:51

First time went to the USA, couldn't work out why people were nasty towards us when we ate at places. When it happened when with a yank friend, they explained that tipping was compulsory throughout the USA and it was expected that 15-25% of the bill was the normal tip. When asked why, was told most servers and wait staff only get paid in tips, which really rocked me at the time. So we tipped next time there, worked out we were paying much more money for greasy junk food than we would in Aus, yet in Aus we paid all staff and tips were bonuses for good service.

Much prefer the way Aus operates, find staff that do their job properly and nicely, always get good tips and that is always good for business. Have to remember the USA is a crazy place, very elitist and racist shit hole and probably the worst food on the planet.
Last edited by Dax on 05 Aug 2019, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Dax
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1414
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 11:15
spamone: Animal

Re: North American Beggars

Postby greggerypeccary » 05 Aug 2019, 14:55

Dax wrote:First time went to the USA, couldn't work out why people were nasty towards us when we ate at places. When it happened when was with a yank friend, they explained that tipping was compulsory throughout the USA and it was expected that 25% of the bill was the normal tip. When asked why, was told most servers and wait staff only get paid in tips, which really rocked me at the time. So we tipped next time there, worked out we were paying much more money for greasy junk food than we would in Aus, yet in Aus we paid all staff and tips were bonuses for good service.


I've always been against the tipping culture.

Can't stand it when Australians do it in Australia.

And I really don't like the practice, here in Australia, of asking you to give a tip on the EFTPOS machine before you enter your PIN (the staff at Jamie's found that out the hard way).

I adhere to the tipping rules when I'm in Europe, though.
User avatar
greggerypeccary
Warthog
 
Posts: 4411
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 14:52
spamone: Animal

Re: North American Beggars

Postby Dax » 05 Aug 2019, 15:06

Our staff are not allowed to ask for or suggest tips, it's up to the customer to decide whether than can afford it or it's justified. In my experience and business, the staff whose tip jar is always full, are the best wait staff and we always make them contribute 25% of their tips to the kitchen staff. Bar staff divide their tips after each shift, some save the lot up then go have a good time together. It always make for happy content staff and customers, which is good for the business as well.

When in Europe, rarely if ever eat out, find the service, demands for tips and disgusting reactions when you don't tip what they want, makes sometimes for unpleasant experiences. Mostly we buy and prepare our foods where we are staying, can't trust most places to provide the food you want and can eat.
Last edited by Dax on 05 Aug 2019, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Dax
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1414
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 11:15
spamone: Animal

Re: North American Beggars

Postby SethBullock » 05 Aug 2019, 15:30

I enjoy tipping for good service and good food. Doesn't bother me a bit.

I enjoy eating out, and I go to places where the food is good and the service is attentive and friendly. I usually tip at 20% and I'm happy to do it.

Read it and weep, ya ole curmudgeons.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
User avatar
SethBullock
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2332
Joined: 22 Oct 2018, 12:37
Location: Oregon, USA
spamone: Animal

Re: North American Beggars

Postby greggerypeccary » 05 Aug 2019, 15:35

SethBullock wrote:I enjoy tipping for good service and good food. Doesn't bother me a bit.

I enjoy eating out, and I go to places where the food is good and the service is attentive and friendly. I usually tip at 20% and I'm happy to do it.

Read it and weep, ya ole curmudgeons.


Tipping is normal in the US and Europe. When in Rome.

It's not the done thing in Australia though, and we don't want it introduced.
User avatar
greggerypeccary
Warthog
 
Posts: 4411
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 14:52
spamone: Animal

Re: North American Beggars

Postby hatty » 05 Aug 2019, 15:38

maybe if the minimum wage wasn't so pathetically inadequate for dishing up that slop they call food......... it would not be an issue.

charge two bucks extra for them greaseball burgers and pay good employees what they are worth.
User avatar
hatty
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1276
Joined: 30 Apr 2018, 11:48
spamone: Animal

Re: North American Beggars

Postby Dax » 05 Aug 2019, 16:54

SethBullock wrote:I enjoy tipping for good service and good food. Doesn't bother me a bit.

I enjoy eating out, and I go to places where the food is good and the service is attentive and friendly. I usually tip at 20% and I'm happy to do it.

Read it and weep, ya ole curmudgeons.


Again your lack of knowledge and worldly experience shows you up, the majority of Aussies when they enjoy good service and have a good time somewhere, don't hesitate to give a tip. I always have, to see customers willingly and happily adding extra when paying for service, to staff, you know everyone is happy.

Been in the hospitality industry for over 5 decades, tipping in Aus, is a compliment, we have liveable wages in hospitality in this country, staff mostly provide an very good service. When people provide excellent enjoyable service in hospitality, they always get rewarded by satisfied customers and good businesses pay extra for good staff, we do and it pays off in all ways.

We pay people to work in this country and tipping makes their lives much better for everyone, but it's a choice. In the USA, you pay a pittance and in lots of cases, expect staff to almost beg for extra from a customer, who's satisfied or not. Tipping is not a choice in the US, it's a demand.
User avatar
Dax
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1414
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 11:15
spamone: Animal

Re: North American Beggars

Postby johnsmith » 05 Aug 2019, 17:00

SethBullock wrote:I enjoy tipping for good service and good food. Doesn't bother me a bit.


i usually tip when the food and service is good. Just don't ask me for one, or try to pressure me to tip ...or come at me with that damn card reader that asks me to enter my tip first (if i tip i'll give the waiter/ress cash).....any of those will backfire and you'll get nothing

Tipping is a reward, not an obligation.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 9274
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal

Re: North American Beggars

Postby Aussie » 05 Aug 2019, 17:08

johnsmith wrote:
SethBullock wrote:I enjoy tipping for good service and good food. Doesn't bother me a bit.


i usually tip when the food and service is good. Just don't ask me for one, or try to pressure me to tip ...or come at me with that damn card reader that asks me to enter my tip first (if i tip i'll give the waiter/ress cash).....any of those will backfire and you'll get nothing

Tipping is a reward, not an obligation.


What he ^^^^^^ said.
User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
 
Posts: 8919
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 17:25

Re: North American Beggars

Postby hatty » 05 Aug 2019, 17:54

Aussie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
SethBullock wrote:I enjoy tipping for good service and good food. Doesn't bother me a bit.


i usually tip when the food and service is good. Just don't ask me for one, or try to pressure me to tip ...or come at me with that damn card reader that asks me to enter my tip first (if i tip i'll give the waiter/ress cash).....any of those will backfire and you'll get nothing

Tipping is a reward, not an obligation.


What he ^^^^^^ said.


seconded!

I too have spent much of my working life dealing with difficult diners and then the cunty arrogant chefs when they fuck up and their shit food gets sent back.

as a result i always gladly tip for an enjoyable experience

alongside knowing every wait staff and dish room employees are being paid an acceptable and liveable amount of money and don't have to beg.

let's be honest and admit it.......that is the real problem here.
User avatar
hatty
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1276
Joined: 30 Apr 2018, 11:48
spamone: Animal

Re: North American Beggars

Postby Bongalong » 05 Aug 2019, 18:11

SethBullock wrote:I enjoy tipping for good service and good food. Doesn't bother me a bit.

I enjoy eating out, and I go to places where the food is good and the service is attentive and friendly. I usually tip at 20% and I'm happy to do it.

Read it and weep, ya ole curmudgeons.
Do you Tip bad service?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog
 
Posts: 3270
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 11:48
spamone: Animal

Re: North American Beggars

Postby SethBullock » 06 Aug 2019, 00:06

Bongalong wrote:
SethBullock wrote:I enjoy tipping for good service and good food. Doesn't bother me a bit.

I enjoy eating out, and I go to places where the food is good and the service is attentive and friendly. I usually tip at 20% and I'm happy to do it.

Read it and weep, ya ole curmudgeons.
Do you Tip bad service?


No. Pretty rare since I tend to go to a group of favorite eateries. But if the service is really bad, no tip.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
User avatar
SethBullock
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2332
Joined: 22 Oct 2018, 12:37
Location: Oregon, USA
spamone: Animal

Re: North American Beggars

Postby SethBullock » 06 Aug 2019, 00:09

hatty wrote:
Aussie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
SethBullock wrote:I enjoy tipping for good service and good food. Doesn't bother me a bit.


i usually tip when the food and service is good. Just don't ask me for one, or try to pressure me to tip ...or come at me with that damn card reader that asks me to enter my tip first (if i tip i'll give the waiter/ress cash).....any of those will backfire and you'll get nothing

Tipping is a reward, not an obligation.


What he ^^^^^^ said.


seconded!

I too have spent much of my working life dealing with difficult diners and then the cunty arrogant chefs when they fuck up and their shit food gets sent back.

as a result i always gladly tip for an enjoyable experience

alongside knowing every wait staff and dish room employees are being paid an acceptable and liveable amount of money and don't have to beg.

let's be honest and admit it.......that is the real problem here.


I don’t consider it begging. I think of it as earning.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
User avatar
SethBullock
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2332
Joined: 22 Oct 2018, 12:37
Location: Oregon, USA
spamone: Animal

Re: North American Beggars

Postby greggerypeccary » 06 Aug 2019, 07:11

SethBullock wrote:
hatty wrote:
Aussie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
SethBullock wrote:I enjoy tipping for good service and good food. Doesn't bother me a bit.


i usually tip when the food and service is good. Just don't ask me for one, or try to pressure me to tip ...or come at me with that damn card reader that asks me to enter my tip first (if i tip i'll give the waiter/ress cash).....any of those will backfire and you'll get nothing

Tipping is a reward, not an obligation.


What he ^^^^^^ said.


seconded!

I too have spent much of my working life dealing with difficult diners and then the cunty arrogant chefs when they fuck up and their shit food gets sent back.

as a result i always gladly tip for an enjoyable experience

alongside knowing every wait staff and dish room employees are being paid an acceptable and liveable amount of money and don't have to beg.

let's be honest and admit it.......that is the real problem here.


I don’t consider it begging. I think of it as earning.


In Australia, it's begging. Pure and simple.

Do Americans tip workers at KFC and McDonalds?

What about Walmart employees, or the people who empty your rubbish bins?
User avatar
greggerypeccary
Warthog
 
Posts: 4411
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 14:52
spamone: Animal

Re: North American Beggars

Postby Bongalong » 06 Aug 2019, 08:15

greggerypeccary wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
hatty wrote:
Aussie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
SethBullock wrote:I enjoy tipping for good service and good food. Doesn't bother me a bit.


i usually tip when the food and service is good. Just don't ask me for one, or try to pressure me to tip ...or come at me with that damn card reader that asks me to enter my tip first (if i tip i'll give the waiter/ress cash).....any of those will backfire and you'll get nothing

Tipping is a reward, not an obligation.


What he ^^^^^^ said.


seconded!

I too have spent much of my working life dealing with difficult diners and then the cunty arrogant chefs when they fuck up and their shit food gets sent back.

as a result i always gladly tip for an enjoyable experience

alongside knowing every wait staff and dish room employees are being paid an acceptable and liveable amount of money and don't have to beg.

let's be honest and admit it.......that is the real problem here.


I don’t consider it begging. I think of it as earning.


In Australia, it's begging. Pure and simple.

Do Americans tip workers at KFC and McDonalds?

What about Walmart employees, or the people who empty your rubbish bins?

You do have some good points at times :OMG
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog
 
Posts: 3270
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 11:48
spamone: Animal

Re: North American Beggars

Postby hatty » 06 Aug 2019, 09:52

when the bearded hipster gives you change on a plate for having opened a beer...... that I paid for

that is begging and it boils my piss.

knowing he live with his parents, has a decent wage, free healthcare, and can sport his quiff at the local caf eating is smashed avo.

Fuck them and their tips.

unfortunately hard working people in the the US don't get any of that...... and have to rely on tips because it sucks to be them or their kids because that shit hole is so broken and they, or said kids have no help if they get sick or even shot

hard working people (you know...... not Jared Kushner) deserve a little more for the callous on their feet for what they do.

but with a rich entitled pussy grabbing bully, (or in canada's case puppet) head of state...

that ain't happening soon
User avatar
hatty
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1276
Joined: 30 Apr 2018, 11:48
spamone: Animal

Re: North American Beggars

Postby greggerypeccary » 06 Aug 2019, 10:28

hatty wrote:when the bearded hipster gives you change on a plate for having opened a beer...... that I paid for

that is begging and it boils my piss.

knowing he live with his parents, has a decent wage, free healthcare, and can sport his quiff at the local caf eating is smashed avo.

Fuck them and their tips.




:bgrin
User avatar
greggerypeccary
Warthog
 
Posts: 4411
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 14:52
spamone: Animal

Re: North American Beggars

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Aug 2019, 10:49

I tipped in France, as Greg said, when in Rome. . .

I tip if people give really good service. Tipped $20 to a waitress that looked after the lunch I shouted the office. Tipped $20 to the young guy who rotary hoed three strips of ground in my block—he put his heart into it. The clay on my block is not easy!

But an employee should be paid by his employer.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 54043
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: North American Beggars

Postby SethBullock » 06 Aug 2019, 11:31

greggerypeccary wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
hatty wrote:
Aussie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
SethBullock wrote:I enjoy tipping for good service and good food. Doesn't bother me a bit.


i usually tip when the food and service is good. Just don't ask me for one, or try to pressure me to tip ...or come at me with that damn card reader that asks me to enter my tip first (if i tip i'll give the waiter/ress cash).....any of those will backfire and you'll get nothing

Tipping is a reward, not an obligation.


What he ^^^^^^ said.


seconded!

I too have spent much of my working life dealing with difficult diners and then the cunty arrogant chefs when they fuck up and their shit food gets sent back.

as a result i always gladly tip for an enjoyable experience

alongside knowing every wait staff and dish room employees are being paid an acceptable and liveable amount of money and don't have to beg.

let's be honest and admit it.......that is the real problem here.


I don’t consider it begging. I think of it as earning.


In Australia, it's begging. Pure and simple.

Do Americans tip workers at KFC and McDonalds?

What about Walmart employees, or the people who empty your rubbish bins?


No.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
User avatar
SethBullock
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2332
Joined: 22 Oct 2018, 12:37
Location: Oregon, USA
spamone: Animal

Re: North American Beggars

Postby greggerypeccary » 06 Aug 2019, 11:32

SethBullock wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
Do Americans tip workers at KFC and McDonalds?

What about Walmart employees, or the people who empty your rubbish bins?


No.


Why not?
User avatar
greggerypeccary
Warthog
 
Posts: 4411
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 14:52
spamone: Animal

Next

Return to Politics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: greggerypeccary and 5 guests