Its looking worse for Aussie

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Its looking worse for Aussie

Postby DonDeeHippy » 22 Apr 2019, 06:05

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/04/21/th ... la-owners/
Tesla is taking bold steps toward launching the Tesla Network, an Uber-like transportation service in which a self-driving Tesla will give you a ride. Recent research indicates that this could make big money for not only Tesla, but also Tesla owners who are willing to let their car participate in the Network while they’re not using it. But will it be profitable for owners that do this?
The Numbers Look Pretty Sweet…
I’ll start out by pointing readers to my recent article on Tesla’s latest moves. In short, they’re confident enough in their self-driving technology that they’re willing to bet big that the technology will be ready to drive completely unsupervised within 3 years. That’s a pretty big thing.

If this happens Taxi's will be like horse carriages. In a few day Tesla are making a big announcement about autonomous driving and id think their driverless taxi service, they are already offering leases on their cars with no pay out, instead the cars will become part of the robot fleet. :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Re: Its looking worse for Aussie

Postby Bongalong » 22 Apr 2019, 13:05

3 years, like f***!

What is "betting big" btw?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 22 Apr 2019, 16:29

Bongalong wrote:3 years, like f***!

well spending a LOT of money getting it set up and risk of looking bad if it doesn't work id say :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 22 Apr 2019, 22:58

like his battery in SA. He said if he couldn't build it within what was it? … it'd be free, and he succeeded AND the battery has been shown to be very effective...

It only takes the vision, and the willingness to invest the money...
Something this LNP government sorely lacks. They'd rather stay in their idea of a continuance of the 'good old days' of coal. No need to invest in any sort of research from all that profit... for the better of humanity.. oh no.. who us? ( Corps and govts) ? why would we rock the moneyboat..?
Well, how about the Fact .. that BLACK LUNG is responsible for DEATHS in QLD COAL MINES in the last 5 years... and increasing.. ..??

How could this be..?? Because..???? only money matters, and EVERYTHING SAID in promotion of COAL are contaminated lies, said KNOWING the COAL MINES are responsible for deaths, right here in Queensland.. not some far away polluted place... but right here, in Australia.

THIS is the industry our government(s) are fighting to keep..?

NO WAY. Bring ON the TECH..!!!
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 23 Apr 2019, 11:14

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Bongalong wrote:3 years, like f***!

well spending a LOT of money getting it set up and risk of looking bad if it doesn't work id say :purple

Satisfactory answer, fair enough!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 23 Apr 2019, 11:19

pinkeye wrote:like his battery in SA. He said if he couldn't build it within what was it? … it'd be free, and he succeeded AND the battery has been shown to be very effective...

Something this LNP government sorely lacks. They'd rather stay in their idea of a continuance of the 'good old days' of coal. No need to invest in any sort of research from all that profit... for the better of humanity.. oh no.. who us? ( Corps and govts) ? why would we rock the moneyboat..?
Well, how about the Fact .. that BLACK LUNG is responsible for DEATHS in QLD COAL MINES in the last 5 years... and increasing.. ..??

How could this be..?? Because..???? only money matters, and EVERYTHING SAID in promotion of COAL are contaminated lies, said KNOWING the COAL MINES are responsible for deaths, right here in Queensland.. not some far away polluted place... but right here, in Australia.

I am not sure about the idea of self driving cars.

Doesn't it mean you buy (presumably new, there must be stipulations of some sort to be alled to participate?!!?) a car and then people fart in it all day and then it comes back to take you home?

Like wtf is going on here???

:tweed :B :B :B :B :B :B :B :B :B
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 23 Apr 2019, 12:44

Bongalong wrote:
pinkeye wrote:like his battery in SA. He said if he couldn't build it within what was it? … it'd be free, and he succeeded AND the battery has been shown to be very effective...

Doesn't it mean you buy (presumably new, there must be stipulations of some sort to be alled to participate?!!?) a car and then people fart in it all day and then it comes back to take you home?

no one would twist your arm, Bongy it would be your decision. :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 23 Apr 2019, 13:13

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Bongalong wrote:

no one would twist your arm, Bongy it would be your decision. :purple

Well, that is a whole nother set of very important questions right there buddy!

:Hi
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 23 Apr 2019, 18:14

i thought the whole thing with self drive cars was that there would still be a designated driver to take over if something goes wrong .... i don't see customers volunteering for that role
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Bongalong » 23 Apr 2019, 20:01

johnsmith wrote:i thought the whole thing with self drive cars was that there would still be a designated driver to take over if something goes wrong .... i don't see customers volunteering for that role

I thought this was about your car being used, while you were at work, as a self driving taxi...

:yellow
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 23 Apr 2019, 20:04

Bongalong wrote:
johnsmith wrote:i thought the whole thing with self drive cars was that there would still be a designated driver to take over if something goes wrong .... i don't see customers volunteering for that role

I thought this was about your car being used, while you were at work, as a self driving taxi...

it is ... and I like that idea, but my comment was about this comment in the article

in which a self-driving Tesla will give you a ride
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Bongalong » 23 Apr 2019, 20:06

johnsmith wrote:
Bongalong wrote:

it is ... and I like that idea, but my comment was about this comment in the article

in which a self-driving Tesla will give you a ride

YEH, DOESN'T THAT MEAN IT DRIVES YOU?

"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 23 Apr 2019, 22:08

Ahh ah ha....
but you see, the self-driving vehicle still requires a licensed human to be alert at the wheel..

it's not about putting your feet up and snoozing till you get where you're going.. like a taxi. it's about less accidents...

altho the publicshare/ev scheme has its merits.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 24 Apr 2019, 11:06

pinkeye wrote:Ahh ah ha....
but you see, the self-driving vehicle still requires a licensed human to be alert at the wheel..

it's not about putting your feet up and snoozing till you get where you're going.. like a taxi. it's about less accidents...

altho the publicshare/ev scheme has its merits.

well actually no they don't need a driver, that's the point of the Robo fleet Tesla is organizing, the car can go and be a taxi while your at work or asleep, Musk is saying in 2 years they will start making the model3 without a steering wheel, and they can retrofit the ones that already have steering wheels.
https://electrek.co/2019/04/22/tesla-au ... -news-hub/

it's huge news and once it become reality it means you can buy a car and it can make money for you instead of costing you money :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 24 Apr 2019, 11:10

nah that's just for while they are testing the cars, once they prove themselves there will be no need.
Probable will still be accidents, even a few deaths, but at least in Australia if there are less than 1200 deaths a year then the deathtoll will be less than it is now.....
:purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 24 Apr 2019, 15:03

Have a son in law who's been working in the mines in WA, they are automating trains and trucks there and he says they are having lots of problems with crashes every day. The problems seem to be because of changing weather and road conditions, automated vehicles can't just have a look and make a decision, they are programmed and any change in their surroundings sends them troppo.

There have already been people who have been able to send telsa cars off the road, by changing the road lines and road signs. Autonomous cars will have to contend with GPS discrepancies and failures, already we have people being sent to the wrong places with their gps and it will be the same with autonomous cars. Then they have to find ways to stop them being hacked, or people taking them over as they drive past, or interference from the millions of other wifi and GPS controlled systems everywhere.

The first thing tesla has to do is fix the constant incidences of cars catching fire and in my opinion, that's a result of them using cheap highly inflammable lithium chemistries for their cars. They way things are going, tesla will be history within a couple of years because they won't be able to compete with the huge influx of EV's that are using better lithium technologies and chemistries which don't explode or catch fire and Tesla has invested huge amounts into that unstable energy storage systems.

Railed public transport will be the most likely to become autonomous, as that form of transport is easier to automate because it is fixed in rails, But cars and other road vehicles, will probably have insurmountable new navigation and awareness problems that will crop up every day. Technology is not fool proof and can't adapt to new and changing conditions, humans can and do, that will restrict autonomous cars, especially hire cars.

Can give you a personal experience as to how well GPS works. A couple of klms down the road from where I live, is an intersection and both roads can lead to Hobart, one is dirt the other the main highway and my road swings off before the dirt starts. My road is bitumen, there is no one else on the road as I own it all. During the tourist season every day we get fools driving up our road and then having to turn round and drive back because their gps has sent them up our road and not the Hobart road. They also end up at a friends apple and pear orchard which is way of the main road, because their gps has directed them there. He has got so pissed off he put up big signs saying private road no entry, but they still drive down it to the end and then can't turn round and have to go up to his house. I have a huge sign at the bottom of my road saying private road, no through road and they still drive up and annoy us with questions of why the bitumen road stops at my place and how to get to Hobart.

It may work in cities, but you can bet the crims will take huge advantage of driverless cars, just like they are doing with those hire scooters and bikes, they will hire them, trash them, then put them in a river or over a cliff just for the fun of it. Unless you change human behaviour and get people to be responsible, autonomous cars will create mayhem for all.

Electric planes will be the big move in this country and it is already underway, as this link shows

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-24/ ... d/11041940

"Move aside electric cars, another disruption set to occur in the next decade is being ignored in current Australian transport infrastructure debates: electric aviation.

Electric aircraft technology is rapidly developing locally and overseas, with the aim of potentially reducing emissions and operating costs by over 75 per cent. Other countries are already planning for 100 per cent electric short-haul plane fleets within a couple of decades.

Australia relies heavily on air transport. The country has the most domestic airline seats per person in the world. We have also witnessed flight passenger numbers double over the past 20 years.

Infrastructure projects are typically planned 20 or more years ahead. This makes it more important than ever that we start to adopt a disruptive lens in planning. It's time to start accounting for electric aviation if we are to capitalise on its potential economic and environmental benefits."
Dax
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 24 Apr 2019, 16:42

Yes the original Tesla's do seem to catch on fire (although most of them have been after horrendous accidents and a petrol car would catch on fire as well, USA has 840 car fires a day). The New batteries and control system they use on the Model3 however has never caught on fire. They are redoing the other 2 models now and it looks like they will be using the new batteries and management so should see a lot less thermal Runaway.
Unlike scooter and bikes, autonomous cars have a live internet link and camera's so thieves will have a bit of trouble getting away with stealing or vandalism. As the car is autonomous there is no reason the vehicle cant take itself to a police station if anti social activities are encountered.

I'm sure it wont be fool proof but every time a thief can come up with a con, with over the air updates a workaround can happen to counter them pretty quick.
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 26 Apr 2019, 11:19

DonDeeHippy wrote:Yes the original Tesla's do seem to catch on fire (although most of them have been after horrendous accidents and a petrol car would catch on fire as well, USA has 840 car fires a day). The New batteries and control system they use on the Model3 however has never caught on fire. They are redoing the other 2 models now and it looks like they will be using the new batteries and management so should see a lot less thermal Runaway.
Unlike scooter and bikes, autonomous cars have a live internet link and camera's so thieves will have a bit of trouble getting away with stealing or vandalism. As the car is autonomous there is no reason the vehicle cant take itself to a police station if anti social activities are encountered.

I'm sure it wont be fool proof but every time a thief can come up with a con, with over the air updates a workaround can happen to counter them pretty quick.

The autonomous cars could probably even, with a little bit of 'extra' programming, invite the thieves into the car and then presciently haul them off to the cooler :beer

:bike :bike :bike :bike :bike :bike :bike :bike :bike
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 26 Apr 2019, 11:26

Bongalong wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:Yes the original Tesla's do seem to catch on fire (although most of them have been after horrendous accidents and a petrol car would catch on fire as well, USA has 840 car fires a day). The New batteries and control system they use on the Model3 however has never caught on fire. They are redoing the other 2 models now and it looks like they will be using the new batteries and management so should see a lot less thermal Runaway.

The autonomous cars could probably even, with a little bit of 'extra' programming, invite the thieves into the car and then presciently haul them off to the cooler :beer

:bike :bike :bike :bike :bike :bike :bike :bike :bike

haha I was thinking the same thing this morning...… Just give them a "Free Pass" to use and when they do it, straight to jail. :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 26 Apr 2019, 15:29

The hack and take control of computers with ease, as cars run on wifi, what happens when the net goes down or a tower fails. I run a linux deep penetration distro and it is so simple to get into people phones and computers, unless you are running a linux system, your terribly vulnerable, To fix that, they;d have to sandbox the4 system in the car and have and auto shut down, but if you sandbox the car system, then the manufacturers will be kept out and they would jump up and down about that.

You also have to take into account, the amount of spam and adverts they will saturate cars systems with and how people will cope with those never ending op ups and ads. Plus they will know where you are and what you are doing constantly, not for me that form if enslavement and surveillance, The people at Rivian told me their cars can be disconnected from the net and still function properly, another reason I'm leaning in that direction.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Apr 2019, 15:40

Autonomous cars are the future—AI will be big here. And will be to the good:no drunk driving, many less and less severe accidents.

But autonomous cars will need to be on a different physical level than pedestrians—this could be the big drag on automation. Reason is: autonomous cars will make a decision to turn in front of another car if it means it will miss hitting the car by some centimetres—that is what automation can do. Picture Grandma wandering into such an intersection. . .carnage.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 26 Apr 2019, 16:21

So, Dax, the default is that autonomous cars are connected to the internet?

*** HELLO FACEBOOK-AUTONOMOUS-FREIGHT I SAY.... frig me dead :OMG
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Apr 2019, 16:43

That’d jazz up the Internet of Things!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 26 Apr 2019, 16:50

HBS Guy wrote:That’d jazz up the Internet of Things!

Yeh, very funny... :OMG :scare :scare :scare :scare :scare :scare :scare :scare :scare :b :b
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Dax » 27 Apr 2019, 05:52

Bongalong wrote:So, Dax, the default is that autonomous cars are connected to the internet?

*** HELLO FACEBOOK-AUTONOMOUS-FREIGHT I SAY.... frig me dead :OMG

Ignorance is bliss for clones isn't it, you can all laugh at my claims of hacking of evs, but it's already happening and as they use proprietary software which needs constant upgrading, then hacking them is easy. Walt until they start hacking autonomous cars and changing their operating parameters and there s nothing that can be done about it when you user proprietary software, which is open ended to the net so it can operate.

They can launch attacked from the road side, over the net and just about any where an ev is connected and for autonomous, that's 24/7.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... iders.html

"Lime Scooters have left several users in shock after a virus forced the voice function on the transportation device to transmit sexual messages to its users.

The hack has affected at least eight scooters in Brisbane, with the company deciding to remove the hacked devices from the streets.

Multiple people recording the malfunctioning scooters playing the offensive messages when they log in to use them."
Dax
Cheetah

Next

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market