Flipping Heck: can we even talk about this?

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: Flipping Heck: can we even talk about this?

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Apr 2019, 15:07

More text please DRAH. Tell me why I should click on your link?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 16 Apr 2019, 15:48

HBS Guy wrote:More text please DRAH. Tell me why I should click on your link?

OOOps. I went surfing after I posted the ink to add a comment.... I could just add my own.

Apparently this guy self immolated by fire and left a note saying it was about apathy toward climate change... and he was sorry for the mess.

<to put it bluntly!! :OMG >
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby DonDeeHippy » 16 Apr 2019, 16:00

wow, just read it and the guy must of really been having some mental issue's to think that was a good idea.... Considering the good he had done for his community and the work he had done in his professional career , it wasn't like he hadn't done any good in his life. :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 16 Apr 2019, 16:04

mental illness can strike anyone, even successful lawyers.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Bongalong » 16 Apr 2019, 20:15

Yeh, true story! :sad
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Texan » 17 Apr 2019, 00:17

My opinion of anybody is lessened when they commit suicide. I might understand a little if they are terminally ill and in great pain, but it still leaves loved ones to clean up the mess.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 17 Apr 2019, 01:45

Not always Texan.
Some people have no loved ones in their life.

I think it is a purely personal decision to make. Self-immolation has been a symbol of despair and protest for a long time. Tibet springs to mind. :sad
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 17 Apr 2019, 12:10

Texan wrote:My opinion of anybody is lessened when they commit suicide. I might understand a little if they are terminally ill and in great pain, but it still leaves loved ones to clean up the mess.

Well, I remember what my friend who committed suicide used to tell me about the other friends we both knew since Kindy who'd committed suicide is that 'nature culls the weak....'

I remember he was really off his food before he went... and smoking way too much dope !!!

Atleast he didn't do it on the tree outside his house like my/our other friend... (Apparently the tree out the back snapped!)

I forgive him... I forgive all of them... but, yes: what a mess I suppose<-- I've never had to witness it!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 17 Apr 2019, 12:12

pinkeye wrote:Not always Texan.
Some people have no loved ones in their life.

I think it is a purely personal decision to make. Self-immolation has been a symbol of despair and protest for a long time. Tibet springs to mind. :sad

Oh, and some people get seriously abused as kids.

How does anyone expect anyone to get over that?

Purely personal, for sure.
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 17 Apr 2019, 12:35

Texan wrote:My opinion of anybody is lessened when they commit suicide. I might understand a little if they are terminally ill and in great pain, but it still leaves loved ones to clean up the mess.

I think if someone is in that headspace that suicide is looking good, they really have no capacity to think of others. :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 17 Apr 2019, 12:53

DonDeeHippy wrote:

I think if someone is in that headspace that suicide is looking good, they really have no capacity to think of others. :purple

You would have to think so.. though sometimes you get a note that says sorry... imagine writing that :OMG
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 17 Apr 2019, 17:08

I agree ... I see it as the cowards option.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 18 Apr 2019, 00:37

'coward's option'...? What do you mean by that. ?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 18 Apr 2019, 00:40

I remember being deeply saddened when the drummer from Crowded House (?) , or was it the flautist from Men at Work..?

well obviously BOTH... but .. he took his two dogs for a walk, and hung himself in a Park.!! :sad

You know what, I was more outraged that he did that to his dogs..
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 18 Apr 2019, 11:16

pinkeye wrote:'coward's option'...? What do you mean by that. ?

He means he's hardcore lol :roll
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 18 Apr 2019, 11:19

pinkeye wrote:I remember being deeply saddened when the drummer from Crowded House (?) , or was it the flautist from Men at Work..?

well obviously BOTH... but .. he took his two dogs for a walk, and hung himself in a Park.!! :sad

You know what, I was more outraged that he did that to his dogs..

Wow, and hanging yourself in public... they talk about (in)famous trees in places like Port Headland and stuff...

Truly sad stuff... I wonder how the dogs did cope with it actually...
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 18 Apr 2019, 18:11

Exactly what it says, it's the cowards option. For some, suicide is easier than dealing with life.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 18 Apr 2019, 20:59

I don't accept your personal blanket-view of people who choose to end their lives.

Sometimes, if they are still capable, it is the bravest thing... to do.

You can just say that... a 'cowards option',... but you really aren't paying attention to this issue …. nor are you cognisant of what LIFE throws up to every one. You are simply arrogant and superior, if that is how you approach the idea of suicide.

OR perhaps it is your armor, against such thoughts..? Or 'ideation' as some say it.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 19 Apr 2019, 17:19

pinkeye wrote:I don't accept your personal blanket-view of people who choose to end their lives.

Sometimes, if they are still capable, it is the bravest thing... to do.

You can just say that... a 'cowards option',... but you really aren't paying attention to this issue …. nor are you cognisant of what LIFE throws up to every one. You are simply arrogant and superior, if that is how you approach the idea of suicide.

OR perhaps it is your armor, against such thoughts..? Or 'ideation' as some say it.

you feel free to believe what you like. Me, I'll continue to believe it is the cowards option.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby mothra » 20 Apr 2019, 01:06

johnsmith wrote:

Exactly what it says, it's the cowards option. For some, suicide is easier than dealing with life.

Suicide is far too complex to be written off as cowardice.

It is rarely committed through cowardice. More often than not, the people who do it are convinced their loved ones will be better off without them.

These are people in tremendous pain. Something is very wrong. It's too easy just to blame them for it.
mothra
Duck

Postby DonDeeHippy » 20 Apr 2019, 05:57

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

It is rarely committed through cowardice. More often than not, the people who do it are convinced their loved ones will be better off without them.

These are people in tremendous pain. Something is very wrong. It's too easy just to blame them for it.

couldn't agree more..... My uncle killed himself in his early 40's, in his youth rowed for Australia and was a carpenter, went to New guinea to work and miscommunication lost the love of his life, never recovered and ended up drinking a lot for the rest of his life, lived with his mother, one day it got to much and he went and shot himself..... Over the years I've thought about this a lot..... I've never thought of him a coward, just so sad he was broken and couldn't find a reason to live.
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 20 Apr 2019, 13:13

Clearly you have no understanding of how peoples lives are effected, or for that matter people in general. Have been personally touched by suicide and understand why they did it, although don;t now how I would react in that situation. There have been times in my life when ending it all seemed the best solution for everyone, but I'm one of those people who just can't resist wanting to know what's round the corner, so decided to handle the pain to see how long could stand it. When you suffer from undiagnosed severe PTSD, it can be very taxing on your mind sanity and ability to cope, it can be extremely taxing on your mind trying to battle through problems you seem to have no idea of how overcome and cope.

It's the same for those who have had traumatic lives and not been able to remove themselves from their situation, hopelessness becomes a real burden and not easily thrown off. When you add diet and lifestyle introduced chemical imbalances on the brain, maybe some physical problems as well then hopelessness, becomes the only future some can see. If you've ever suffered strong psychological distress and ongoing mental trauma, unless you can find a way out, or someone can help you find a way out, life can seem pretty awful and worthless.

The damage suicide has on others, is like most other deaths, it has a big effect, which lessens over time until it's not only bearable, but distant. Making judgements on people in bad psychological states, is not the sign of an understanding person, just someone who is shit scared of the realities of life, so condemn those who take different directions and outcomes. You can also lay lots of the blame against religion, if the bizarre god cult did nt offer the fairy tale perfect life in the sky after death, many people would not take their lives, as they'd realise that's it and there is nothing. The pain is gone, but so are you, completely.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby johnsmith » 20 Apr 2019, 13:30

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

then they are cowards for not asking their loved ones first.

And yes I am aware that calling them cowards is simplistic and that there are many other factors at paly. But I feel that when you break it down, at it's most basic level, it is cowardice.

Be that because they are scared of the 'pain and suffering', scared of 'what's around the corner', scared to face life without 'the one that got away,' scared of facing the 'consequences of their actions' etc etc .... whatever has caused that fear, they took the cowards option and instead of facing it, they ended it.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 21 Apr 2019, 00:24

You are assuming a lot there.

Primarily, you think we must live our lives governed only by how it affects others.

I don't agree... I think it remains an option.. always has always will, and your Christian certainties don't do you any credit.
Because ..?it is a very Christian idea, to condemn suicide.

Once upon a time it was illegal, and maybe that is something you could inform yourself of , here in colonial Australia.
Guess who got the spoils.? . primarily.. the Church(s.)
But that is an old issue about suicide really.

Today, as individuals we have to face so much, often on our own, and it can take a lot of grit to keep on going. It doesn't surprise me that suicide is so prevalent in our society.

And really what is the point of saying, you think less of those who commit suicide..? hmm? doesn't matter to them does it? They're passed your opinions or values.
So you're talking to all those others... trying to shame them. It doesn't work, and will never work... all you do is prolong the misery.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Next

Return to Politics