Why I will not vote for who I usually vote for .....

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Why I will not vote for who I usually vote for .....

Postby Sprintcyclist » 14 Apr 2019, 19:32

... because they gave $444M of my money to 'The Great Barrier Reef Foundation'. There was no tender process and no discussion.

I also received an email from them headed by an immature comment.
Sprintcyclist
Cheetah

spamone: Animal

Re: Why I will not vote for who I usually vote for .....

Postby Aussie » 14 Apr 2019, 19:45

Sprintcyclist wrote:... because they gave $444M of my money to 'The Great Barrier Reef Foundation'. There was no tender process and no discussion.

I also received an email from them headed by an immature comment.

Okay, but if you are fair dinkum, don't give your first preference etc so eventually, your vote will be for the LNP.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby pinkeye » 14 Apr 2019, 21:24

I feel the same way. .

That is, I'd normally vote Labor, not that it matters here in a concreted-in, rusted-on LNP electorate, BUT, I've decided I'm going to vote GREEN. :thumb
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Texan » 15 Apr 2019, 08:37

Some Republicans run with no Democratic opposition in TX. That’s when I vote for the Libertarian if I don’t like the incumbent’s voting record. I almost always vote against the incumbent in the primaries.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible.
President Sam Houston
Texan
mountain lion

Postby pinkeye » 16 Apr 2019, 00:35

I've voted against the incumbent every election for 30 yrs.

Nothing much has changed, BUT... THIS Election is, as I've commented earlier somewhere, a REAL WATERSHED.

It is an election, yeah, with all the usual crap, BUT.. we are at a crucial point in human civilisation, AS WE KNOW IT, and we'll either beat the odds, or NOT. It is all down to PEOPLE, after all.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Dax » 16 Apr 2019, 06:25

Voting for a party is just contributing to the problem, nothing will change as there is non one running for office that has a clue what to do to create a real viable future. Clones are clones, they can never change and will continue down the road to oblivion because their denial of reality and belief in fantasy land will never wane.

No matter how and things get and if anyone took the time to add up the facts, they would see the chances of world society lasting beyond 2030, are zero. The import of misfit humans has increased not got less, I read 112000 new people came into the country in a month this year, add the supposed refugees, bringing back ISis scum and how long can this country sustain itself as climate changes ramp up.
Dax
mountain lion

Postby Bongalong » 16 Apr 2019, 13:17

Yeh, go the black dog... :zzzz
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby hatty » 16 Apr 2019, 13:20

Dax wrote:Voting for a party is just contributing to the problem, nothing will change as there is non one running for office that has a clue what to do to create a real viable future. Clones are clones, they can never change and will continue down the road to oblivion because their denial of reality and belief in fantasy land will never wane.

No matter how and things get and if anyone took the time to add up the facts, they would see the chances of world society lasting beyond 2030, are zero. The import of misfit humans has increased not got less, I read 112000 new people came into the country in a month this year, add the supposed refugees, bringing back ISis scum and how long can this country sustain itself as climate changes ramp up.

climate change and pollution is the real biggy for me.........

i mean.......... the seychelles off the coast of afrrica are being engulfed by rising seas, just about half the pacific islands will be next......... yay for more refugees ....... the great barrier reef is on its last legs.

ahhhh fuck it....... our so called leaders want to mine and sell more coal........ what the actual fucking fuck!!!!!!?????????? aaaaaaarghhh!

who is going to give a fuck about their super, their house,, clothes, car, job, batchy in paradise when our planet is inhabitable....

no one cause we'll all be fucking dead!

madness!.......... /end rant...... ( did i mention i hate tuesdays?
hatty
mountain lion

Postby Sprintcyclist » 16 Apr 2019, 14:48

2/5 for your rant.

Rants improve when from a totally illogical premise or using a sustained outrage.
Your's is sort of neither.

Don't feel bad about it though.
Channel your Tuesdays.
Sprintcyclist
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 17 Apr 2019, 03:24

that's why I won't be voting Labor. Or (shudder the thought) LNP.

They are obsessed with a fanciful future, .. one not likely to exist. I do wonder why we continue to ignore our coming demise. Its a kids fairy tale. 2030..? :roll :roll I'll be dead by then, and I feel for those who come after me.
Our Mother will show NO MERCY.

I think the Greens have the most realistic approach to the FUTURE. But seriously... it doesn't really matter.

We will pay for our greed and profligate exploitation of our mothers resources. WE are morons believing fairy tales. They're called the Bible, and the Koran.

Only the Buddhists really get it. Every day they chant prayers to save our world. It isn't going to be enough, people.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby greggerypeccary » 17 Apr 2019, 07:15

pinkeye wrote:that's why I won't be voting Labor. Or (shudder the thought) LNP.

You will by preferences, though.

You can't put them both dead last, so one of them will get your vote.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Sprintcyclist » 17 Apr 2019, 10:23

They are obsessed with a fanciful future, .. one not likely to exist. I do wonder why we continue to ignore our coming demise. Its a kids fairy tale. 2030..? :roll :roll I'll be dead by then, and I feel for those who come after me.

I think the Greens have the most realistic approach to the FUTURE. But seriously... it doesn't really matter.

We will pay for our greed and profligate exploitation of our mothers resources. WE are morons believing fairy tales. They're called the Bible, and the Koran.

Only the Buddhists really get it. Every day they chant prayers to save our world. It isn't going to be enough, people.

I think the greens offer the ideas that are the most fanciful. Unfortunately quite impractical.
Libs and ALP are no long term solution, they both offer over population.

What do the 'hunters and fishers' and 'Conservative nationals' say ?
Sprintcyclist
Cheetah

Postby Dax » 17 Apr 2019, 11:24

Sprintcyclist wrote:

I think the greens offer the ideas that are the most fanciful. Unfortunately quite impractical.
Libs and ALP are no long term solution, they both offer over population.

What do the 'hunters and fishers' and 'Conservative nationals' say ?

The greens are no different to all other parties, hunters and fishers and the nats are also the same, but right wing. If people had a working brain rather than an simple indoctrinated
program for their minds, they'd look at each parties declared policies and their track record. If you can get past your denial of reality you will find very little difference between the parties in what they do in power and what they claim they will do, greens are no different and like them all don't have a clue about anything of relevance.
Dax
mountain lion

Postby Sprintcyclist » 17 Apr 2019, 11:51

Dax - who gets your vote ?
Sprintcyclist
Cheetah

Postby Dax » 17 Apr 2019, 13:36

Sprintcyclist wrote:Dax - who gets your vote ?

I have two choices, a decent independent and if none, I vote for informal who has received my votes a few times. No way will give a vote to ideological morons, always laugh at those who moan and groan about parties or party candidates, yet when they go to vote, they end up giving it to them anyway with their preferences. Just shows how cloned they are and paranoid about not being part of the crowd, love being outside the crowd with no connection other than an economic one and that's on my own terms, not theirs.
Dax
mountain lion

Postby Aussie » 17 Apr 2019, 14:15

Mr Cyclist.

Link.

Running with hounds and the foxes are you?
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby greggerypeccary » 17 Apr 2019, 15:30

Aussie wrote:Mr Cyclist.

Link.

Running with hounds and the foxes are you?

Oh, so that's the sewer.

:?
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Apr 2019, 17:17

That is the sewer, yup.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 18 Apr 2019, 01:53

greggerypeccary wrote:

But I can number my preferences. I can put my least favored party candidates LAST and second and third last etc .. can't I. ? And once a majority vote has been acknowledged... what happens to the remaining, undistributed preferences,,, ?
surely they are not then distributed.. they should considered outside the range, NO?

I confess to ignorance on how preferential voting will work in QLD.
I don't even think we have a Labor candidate in my electorate.
I certainly don't want any valid preferences going to those I do NOT want to support.

So
what to do GP
to make sure
my vote goes
where I want it
to.?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 18 Apr 2019, 12:24

pinkeye wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:

But I can number my preferences. I can put my least favored party candidates LAST and second and third last etc .. can't I. ? And once a majority vote has been acknowledged... what happens to the remaining, undistributed preferences,,, ?
surely they are not then distributed.. they should considered outside the range, NO?

I certainly don't want any valid preferences going to those I do NOT want to support.

So
what to do GP
to make sure
my vote goes
where I want it
to.?

If the system were purely a two party system(Which it is very close to being) then your vote will basically go to one of them. This would only not be true if someone other than the two major parties were to be wining in your electorate in comparison to one of those two majors and you placed that particular party above the two majors... this of course sometimes occurs! But, not mostly! That's why the two major parties are called the two major parties!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby greggerypeccary » 18 Apr 2019, 13:19

pinkeye wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:

So
what to do GP
to make sure
my vote goes
where I want it
to.?

"First, all of the number '1' votes are counted for each candidate. If a candidate gets more than half the total first preference votes, that candidate will be elected.

"If no candidate has more than half of the votes, the candidate with the fewest votes is excluded. This candidate's votes are transferred to the other candidates according to the second preferences of voters on the ballot papers for the excluded candidate. If still no candidate has more than half the votes, the candidate who now has the fewest votes is excluded and the votes are transferred according to the next preference shown. This process continues until one candidate has more than half the total number of formal votes and is elected."
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 18 Apr 2019, 22:19

Can I paraphrase that.. just to be clear...?

When a person (candidate) achieves a majority.. ie more than 50% .. based on No 1 voters, and considering close preferences, all later preferences are disallowed.

Is this correct.?
So, assuming I am in a safe LNP electorate, if I number each candidate , I am likely to get my vote in. Even if the incumbent is voted in, my vote counted against that candidate. ?

But , in a diverse electorate, with many competing views, it remains possible, if no clear winner is decided after 2nd and 3rd Preferences are counted, that the last on the ballot, as I want them to be, could still have a role..??
I think that is perverse, and supposedly ?? explains how F Anning got a possie.

Do I get it GP.?

My electorate, as I have said previously, is a LNP stronghold, going back to the JOH era. It has been reconfigured and is now WRIGHT. We have that moron Bucholz.... :roll who has done absolutely NOTHING, since he was elected to the NEW SEAT of Wright. He is a disgrace, but all the old farmers and such that are included in this very diverse electorate ( now) will likely still win over all the newcomers.

He is a fat ugly golden boy for the LNP. National shiteater to the core. Never hear or see from him unless there is an election on the horizon, and not an original thought in his head. Like Van Mannen, in Forde... now that man is another waste of space. Oh well... :jump
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 18 Apr 2019, 22:20

SHIT. I just re-read your post. The preferences of DUDS, are transferred to benefit a higher ranked candidate..? That is fucked.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Sprintcyclist » 18 Apr 2019, 23:35

pinkeye wrote:Can I paraphrase that.. just to be clear...?

When a person (candidate) achieves a majority.. ie more than 50% .. based on No 1 voters, and considering close preferences, all later preferences are disallowed.

Is this correct.?
So, assuming I am in a safe LNP electorate, if I number each candidate , I am likely to get my vote in. Even if the incumbent is voted in, my vote counted against that candidate. ?

But , in a diverse electorate, with many competing views, it remains possible, if no clear winner is decided after 2nd and 3rd Preferences are counted, that the last on the ballot, as I want them to be, could still have a role..??
I think that is perverse, and supposedly ?? explains how F Anning got a possie.

Do I get it GP.?

My electorate, as I have said previously, is a LNP stronghold, going back to the JOH era. It has been reconfigured and is now WRIGHT. We have that moron Bucholz.... :roll who has done absolutely NOTHING, since he was elected to the NEW SEAT of Wright. He is a disgrace, but all the old farmers and such that are included in this very diverse electorate ( now) will likely still win over all the newcomers.

He is a fat ugly golden boy for the LNP. National shiteater to the core. Never hear or see from him unless there is an election on the horizon, and not an original thought in his head. Like Van Mannen, in Forde... now that man is another waste of space. Oh well... :jump

I hear you.
I live in a labor stronghold, so my vote will not be effective
Sprintcyclist
Cheetah

Return to Politics