Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Postby johnsmith » 16 May 2019, 20:11

HBS Guy wrote:E-mail from Bill



It is with a heavy heart that I write to you about the passing of Bob Hawke, Australia’s 23rd Prime Minister.

The Australian people loved Bob because they knew Bob loved them, this was true to the very end.

With his passing, the labour movement salutes our greatest son, the Labor Party gives thanks for the life of our longest-serving Prime Minister and Australians everywhere remember and honour a man who gave so much to the country and people he cared for so deeply.

In coming days and weeks our nation will give its tribute to a leader and statesman who inspired such profound affection and admiration, such loyalty and love among so many.

We will remember and revisit the images we know so well.

Bob with microphone or megaphone in one hand, the other moving in time with his words, rallying, inspiring and delighting a crowd.

Bob with head cocked, one hand grasping his earlobe, listening respectfully to an Aboriginal elder, a captain of industry, laughing with an American President or charming a local parent out doing their shopping.

Maybe in the stands, eyes fixed on the track, creased and folded form guide in hand, ticking off another winner.

Or in that iconic jacket, mouth open with laughter, dodging the beer and champagne, giving his Prime Ministerial blessing to a national sickie.

Those images will always be with us, the words to accompany them will pour in from across the country and around the world.

But the most powerful and enduring tributes to Bob Hawke are not words or pictures, they are found all around us.

World-class universities, where places are earned on merit not purchased by privilege.

Children from working-class families who finish school. Less than 3 in 10 kids did that when Bob came to office, 8 in 10 when he left.

A modern, outward-looking, competitive economy, built around the principle that working and middle class people must be fairly rewarded for their efforts.

A system dedicated to the idea that growth is stronger when it is shared, when wages and living standards rise and a generous safety net catches those who fall on hard times.

A country where tourists and locals alike share the wonders of the Daintree, or ride the rapids of the Franklin.

An Australia at home in Asia, a voice heard and respected in the councils of the world.

A country that steps up and plays its part, keeping peace in the Middle East, keeping Antarctica safe for science.

Every Australian carries a monument to Bob Hawke with them, their Medicare card. A green-and-gold promise that the health of any one of us, matters to all of us.

As President of the ACTU, Bob was the champion of unpopular causes:

The right of unions to organise and bargain.
Opposing French nuclear testing in the Pacific.
Opposing the war in Vietnam.
Opposing Apartheid and defending Nelson Mandela, when conservatives were branding him a terrorist.

He was a leader of conviction – and a builder of consensus. But for Bob, consensus and co-operation never meant pursuing the lowest common denominator.

Bringing the country together never meant presenting people with the soft option, or taking the nation down the low road or the lazy path of least resistance.

Bob and the brilliant cabinet he chaired so assuredly didn’t demand consensus or capitulate to it, they built it: through leadership, through persuasion, through Bob’s special connection with the Australian people that he nurtured and treasured.

After he left politics, Bob’s innate appreciation for Australians’ aspirations made him a wonderful source of advice and inspiration for his successors.

He was always generous with his time, and well into his ninth decade, remained a star performer at every Labor gathering he attended. No night was complete without his rendition of “Solidarity Forever”.

In Australian history, in Australian politics, there will always be B.H. and A.H: Before Hawke and After Hawke.

After Hawke, we were a different country.

A kinder, better, bigger and bolder country.

His brilliant, incomparable partnership with Paul Keating transformed our economy.

His deep friendship and co-operation with Bill Kelty gave us the national Accord and the social wage.

In our region, conscientiously, sensitively and with deep humility, he engaged the leaders and people of Asia.

He knew that Australia’s future depended on making peace with our past, through true and lasting Reconciliation with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

And he understood the duty we all have to preserve our natural heritage, to protect the environmental treasures we hold on trust for future generations.

Of course, to honour Bob is to pay tribute to Blanche, his chronicler, companion, confidante and champion. Their love for each other shone through everything.

Blanche is in our hearts today, so too are Bob’s children, Sue, Stephen, Rosslyn, his stepson Louis and his grandchildren.

At our Labor launch I told Bob we loved him, I promised we would win for him. I said the same to him the next day at his home, when I visited.

It was Monday 6 May, the Sydney sun was out, that famous silver mane, now snow-white. Cigar in hand, strawberry milkshake on the table, the hefty bulk of his dictionary holding down the day’s cryptic crossword.

I gave the man who inspired me to go into politics a gentle hug, I tried to tell him what he meant to me, what he meant to all of us.

I couldn’t quite find the right words, few of us can, when we’re face-to-face with our heroes.

But Bob knew.

He knew what he meant to Australia, he knew what he had achieved for the country.

He knew he was loved, right to the end.

We honour him.

We will remember him.

In solidarity, forever.

May he rest in peace.

– Bill



I like that.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 8236
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Postby HBS Guy » 16 May 2019, 20:50

To lighten the mood a bit:

Hey. Has anyone pointed out that on the Vic senate sheet, the Pirate Party are in box R?

?
?

Brilliant! Thanks for the chuckle.


(PB)

Arrrr!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 51658
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Postby pinkeye » 16 May 2019, 22:01

:bgrin :sad

oh well .. getting on with things.. I hope Labor wins in a LANDSLIDE.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 3223
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Postby HBS Guy » 17 May 2019, 08:32

Anyone who doesn’t vote Labor tomorrow is a bum!


Spread that far and wide please.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 51658
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Postby HBS Guy » 17 May 2019, 09:09

Hah, couple of jokes:

Morrison inviting Howard to an impromptu quail hunting trip. . .


Prime Minister Scott Morrison has released a statement in the wake of Hawke’s passing, reading “Fuck, fuckity fuck fuck fuck!”

“Fucking fuck!” it went on to say, “We nearly had it in the bag. FUCK! But of course we’re thinking of Bob’s family in this time of grieving.”


https://chaser.com.au/national/scott-morrison-releases-statement-fuck-fuckity-fuck-fuck-fuck/
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 51658
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Postby Chuck » 17 May 2019, 18:15

HBS Guy wrote:Anyone who doesn’t vote Labor tomorrow is a bum!


Spread that far and wide please.


U mean to sit on his bum and expects others to supply the piss and food!

Chuck
Chuck
Chihuahua
 
Posts: 76
Joined: 11 May 2019, 18:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Postby HBS Guy » 17 May 2019, 19:32

Piss off.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 51658
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Postby johnsmith » 17 May 2019, 19:42

HBS Guy wrote:Piss off.



he's justy upset cause he wanted to sit on his bum while he kept cashing in tax refunds that he hadn't paid


talk about expecting others to supply the piss and food :roll :roll :roll
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 8236
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Postby Chuck » 17 May 2019, 21:10

johnsmith wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Piss off.



he's justy upset cause he wanted to sit on his bum while he kept cashing in tax refunds that he hadn't paid


talk about expecting others to supply the piss and food :roll :roll :roll


Isn’t that the aim of the two income modern family that extracts more from the tax dept then they contribute.

Simply deceiving the rest of the community, by going through the motion of paying taxes.

Maybe BS should combine the two incomes and only allow one tax threshold as tax free.

Have a good night!

Chuck
Chuck
Chihuahua
 
Posts: 76
Joined: 11 May 2019, 18:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Postby pinkeye » 17 May 2019, 23:23

HBS Guy wrote:Hah, couple of jokes:

Morrison inviting Howard to an impromptu quail hunting trip. . .


Prime Minister Scott Morrison has released a statement in the wake of Hawke’s passing, reading “Fuck, fuckity fuck fuck fuck!”

“Fucking fuck!” it went on to say, “We nearly had it in the bag. FUCK! But of course we’re thinking of Bob’s family in this time of grieving.”


https://chaser.com.au/national/scott-morrison-releases-statement-fuck-fuckity-fuck-fuck-fuck/

:bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 3223
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Postby pinkeye » 17 May 2019, 23:28

Vale Bob Hawke.

One of the greatest... if Not THE greatest Australian PMs.


Hopefully, by looking back at his legacy in Government , people will actually realise that LABOR is FOR the PEOPLE.

Look at Labor's achievements over the decades, and THEN...? LOOK AT ALL the unpacking unwinding and general corruption of these benefits by LIBERALS, in subsequent governments. .

It is a NO-BRAINER.!
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 3223
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Postby johnsmith » 18 May 2019, 08:19

Chuck wrote:
Isn’t that the aim of the two income modern family that extracts more from the tax dept then they contribute.

Simply deceiving the rest of the community, by going through the motion of paying taxes.

Maybe BS should combine the two incomes and only allow one tax threshold as tax free.

Have a good night!



You're really good at making up crap about why others do what they do all whilst shoving your head up your arse over your own actions.

Most two income families i know both work because they have to. One wage or salary isn't enough to cover all the costs.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 8236
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Postby HBS Guy » 18 May 2019, 10:08

Especially if you are buying a house!

Pity the home buyers who now have negative equity in their homes.

I think Chuck is a troll.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 51658
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Postby HBS Guy » 18 May 2019, 10:42

Did me democratic duty 8.05am, helped Mum do the same.

No democracy sausage {sob!} tho they were setting up. So had breakfast of dry roasted cherry tomatoes, herbed mushroom, smoked salmon, poached duck egg and pancetta wrapped fennel fronds. Yum!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 51658
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Postby Chuck » 18 May 2019, 11:10

johnsmith wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Isn’t that the aim of the two income modern family that extracts more from the tax dept then they contribute.

Simply deceiving the rest of the community, by going through the motion of paying taxes.

Maybe BS should combine the two incomes and only allow one tax threshold as tax free.

Have a good night!



You're really good at making up crap about why others do what they do all whilst shoving your head up your arse over your own actions.

Most two income families i know both work because they have to. One wage or salary isn't enough to cover all the costs.


I think u are redefine the meaning of "have to" to gimme this and gimme that...I want, I want society.

chuck
Chuck
Chihuahua
 
Posts: 76
Joined: 11 May 2019, 18:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Postby johnsmith » 18 May 2019, 12:48

Chuck wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Isn’t that the aim of the two income modern family that extracts more from the tax dept then they contribute.

Simply deceiving the rest of the community, by going through the motion of paying taxes.

Maybe BS should combine the two incomes and only allow one tax threshold as tax free.

Have a good night!



You're really good at making up crap about why others do what they do all whilst shoving your head up your arse over your own actions.

Most two income families i know both work because they have to. One wage or salary isn't enough to cover all the costs.


I think u are redefine the meaning of "have to" to gimme this and gimme that...I want, I want society.

chuck



you sit here crying you aren't given cash you don't deserve, whilst implying others are greedy :WTF :WTF :WTF .

i think 'gimme, gimme, I want, I want' describes you perfectly
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 8236
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Postby Chuck » 18 May 2019, 16:01

johnsmith wrote:
Chuck wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Isn’t that the aim of the two income modern family that extracts more from the tax dept then they contribute.

Simply deceiving the rest of the community, by going through the motion of paying taxes.

Maybe BS should combine the two incomes and only allow one tax threshold as tax free.

Have a good night!



You're really good at making up crap about why others do what they do all whilst shoving your head up your arse over your own actions.

Most two income families i know both work because they have to. One wage or salary isn't enough to cover all the costs.


I think u are redefine the meaning of "have to" to gimme this and gimme that...I want, I want society.

chuck



you sit here crying you aren't given cash you don't deserve, whilst implying others are greedy :WTF :WTF :WTF .

i think 'gimme, gimme, I want, I want' describes you perfectly


Have u got broad shoulders. I don’t want to insult a sensitive person! Especially one that lacks etiquette?

Chuck
Chuck
Chihuahua
 
Posts: 76
Joined: 11 May 2019, 18:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Postby Sprintcyclist » 18 May 2019, 17:16

Have we won yet ?
Sprintcyclist
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1496
Joined: 16 Jul 2018, 07:14
spamone: Animal

Re: Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Postby HBS Guy » 18 May 2019, 17:32

Polls close in the eastern states.

SA/NT 30 minutes left

WA 2 hours left


(Polls run from 8.00am to 6.00pm on Saturdays. Polling on Tuesdays is for weirdos :roll :bgrin )
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 51658
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Postby johnsmith » 18 May 2019, 17:59

Chuck wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Chuck wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Isn’t that the aim of the two income modern family that extracts more from the tax dept then they contribute.

Simply deceiving the rest of the community, by going through the motion of paying taxes.

Maybe BS should combine the two incomes and only allow one tax threshold as tax free.

Have a good night!



You're really good at making up crap about why others do what they do all whilst shoving your head up your arse over your own actions.

Most two income families i know both work because they have to. One wage or salary isn't enough to cover all the costs.


I think u are redefine the meaning of "have to" to gimme this and gimme that...I want, I want society.

chuck



you sit here crying you aren't given cash you don't deserve, whilst implying others are greedy :WTF :WTF :WTF .

i think 'gimme, gimme, I want, I want' describes you perfectly


Have u got broad shoulders. I don’t want to insult a sensitive person! Especially one that lacks etiquette?

Chuck


I'll take your continued rambling to be your concession speech. :gup
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 8236
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Postby Chuck » 18 May 2019, 19:01

johnsmith wrote: I'll take your continued rambling to be your concession speech.


Wrong! It is simply question to find out how sensitive ur to a derogatory comment!

I thought I might be able to lower my level to ur type of etiquette, simple as that, nothing else.

Chuck
Chuck
Chihuahua
 
Posts: 76
Joined: 11 May 2019, 18:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Postby greggerypeccary » 20 May 2019, 08:59

HBS Guy wrote:Anyone who doesn’t vote Labor tomorrow is a bum!


More than a bum.

They're tractors to the country.
User avatar
greggerypeccary
Warthog
 
Posts: 3511
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 14:52
spamone: Animal

Re: Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Postby DonDeeHippy » 20 May 2019, 10:08

greggerypeccary wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Anyone who doesn’t vote Labor tomorrow is a bum!


More than a bum.

They're tractors to the country.

we have enough Tractors in this country...…. :bgrin
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1224
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 20:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Postby greggerypeccary » 20 May 2019, 10:14

DonDeeHippy wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Anyone who doesn’t vote Labor tomorrow is a bum!


More than a bum.

They're tractors to the country.

we have enough Tractors in this country...…. :bgrin


Indeed :bgrin
User avatar
greggerypeccary
Warthog
 
Posts: 3511
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 14:52
spamone: Animal

Re: Federal Election 2019—the campaign

Postby HBS Guy » 20 May 2019, 14:10

Saw a tractor for sale on my travels this morning. :rofl
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 51658
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Previous

Return to Politics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests