What makes a good countryperson

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

What makes a good countryperson

Postby Miranda » 16 Mar 2019, 18:52

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism … German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans, or Italian-Americans.
“There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is a man who is an American and nothing else.”
Theodore Roosevelt,

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Australians… German-Australian, Irish-Australian, English-Australian, Scandinavian-Australian, or Italian-Australian.
“There is no such thing as a hyphenated Australian who is a good Australian. The only man who is a good Australians is a man who is an Australian and nothing else.”
The sentiment of Theodore Roosevelt,

Let's discuss!
Miranda
Feral cat

spamone: Animal

Re: What makes a good countryperson

Postby johnsmith » 16 Mar 2019, 21:21

well, as an 'Australian Italian' I can tell you that Roosevelts sentiment is bullshit.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Mar 2019, 21:24

Or Dutch Australian!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Miranda » 16 Mar 2019, 21:59

Well, I agree with you both. I don't think a person can or should deny their cultural heritage. But is that what Teddy meant?
Miranda
Feral cat

Postby pinkeye » 17 Mar 2019, 00:43

Go ask him.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 17 Mar 2019, 09:33

Miranda wrote:Well, I agree with you both. I don't think a person can or should deny their cultural heritage. But is that what Teddy meant?

probably ... I'd had that same sentiment thrown my way before by others. Some people simply have no idea.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Mar 2019, 09:59

Muslims get that thrown at them heaps. Muslims simultaneously take our jobs and are permanently on the dole. Etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 18 Mar 2019, 14:54

Miranda wrote:Well, I agree with you both. I don't think a person can or should deny their cultural heritage. But is that what Teddy meant?
Yes, basically yes. As a government man he should be pushing the priority that is his country.

To get all warm and fuzzy about pushing for the over-remembrance of past allegiances would essentialy risk anarchy to the state he is representing.
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 18 Mar 2019, 14:57

HBS Guy wrote:Muslims get that thrown at them heaps. Muslims simultaneously take our jobs and are permanently on the dole. Etc.

Well, they do both: they have ten kids for a reason and that reason is to bleed the kaffir whether it be by taking the host countries jobs, lowering everyones wages or simply clogging up the system by directly applying for its welfare!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby Texan » 19 Mar 2019, 08:43

Teddy was only saying that people who come to America should not try to isolate themselves from American culture. If they want to be welcome here, they need to assimilate instead of maintain division. Is America their destination or their target?

America has no obligation to let immigrants carve out a piece of America to exclude the rest of America. Just look at the "no go zones" in places like Paris. That's obscene.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible.
President Sam Houston
Texan
mountain lion

Postby Bongalong » 19 Mar 2019, 18:34

Texan wrote:Teddy was only saying that people who come to America should not try to isolate themselves from American culture. If they want to be welcome here, they need to assimilate instead of maintain division. Is America their destination or their target?

America has no obligation to let immigrants carve out a piece of America to exclude the rest of America. Just look at the "no go zones" in places like Paris. That's obscene.

Very eloquently put!

America has obviously dealt with this old chestnut before!!! :b
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 20 Mar 2019, 11:02

You either support or represent the country you call home, or you have no real allegiance to that country. Those who claim to be half this and half that, should leave and go to the country they associate themselves with. There is nothing wrong with saying you originate for a certain country but to claim you are only half Australian, American, or whatever, means you are using the country of abode and not really a true country person. Throw out all dual citizens, or those claiming to be half and half.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby Texan » 20 Mar 2019, 14:18

Bongalong wrote:
Texan wrote:Teddy was only saying that people who come to America should not try to isolate themselves from American culture. If they want to be welcome here, they need to assimilate instead of maintain division. Is America their destination or their target?

Very eloquently put!

America has obviously dealt with this old chestnut before!!! :b

America shut down almost all immigration from the early 1920s to the mid 1960s to allow immigrants to assimilate. I think we should do it again for a generation or two. There was still racism, but overall, divorce rates were low and education rates were good. America blossomed through invention and technology during that time and the world has benefitted from that prosperity.
President Sam Houston
Texan
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Mar 2019, 17:22

Immigrants can enrich the culture of the host country. I call myself Australian not Dutch-Australian.

Change is always hard hence anti-immigrant feelings with Muslims copping it now. The last wave before the present is always the most hostile to new immigrants.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 21 Mar 2019, 18:56

HBS Guy wrote:Immigrants can enrich the culture of the host country. I call myself Australian not Dutch-Australian.

Change is always hard hence anti-immigrant feelings with Muslims copping it now. The last wave before the present is always the most hostile to new immigrants.

The last wave of immigrants, didn't try to force their insane beliefs onto Australians and demand special treatment, their aim was to assimilate and become Aussies. Muslims are different, they demand they be treated differently and we adhere to their dictates, by accepting their dumb stupidities like sexual elitism, idiotic women totally covered, screaming idiots over PA's calling the deranged to prayers. Those who came before, did continue with parts of their culture, but in their homes and places of worship, muslims demand to do it in public and inconvenience everyone else just for their stupidity. Things like segregated swimming, demanding men not be treated by a female doctor and women only be treated by a female doctor and the list goes on and on and on.

You pathetic fools need to grow up, it's clear you have no real worldly experience, outside your urban squalor tourist trails. You don't have a clue what Aus used to be like, compared to the fractured insane place it is now, where people around my age do and we miss the freedom, friendliness and security it offered. All you know is nothing but what you read in the propaganda sheets and will never experience the freedoms we had, now it is so regimented and controlled, deranged trolls and very small minorities control society. Luckily it will all come to a head and then you'll all wish you hadn't supported the crazed ideological imbeciles you do now.

A good Australian country person, is one who supports believes and lives like real Aussies. Not muslims, Africans or those who claim to be half Aussie and the rest some other country. They're the types who want to change the country to be as they want it to be, a free for all of cultures, ideologies and minorities in control, because they feel part of minorities, as they don't fit into Aus culture and refuse to become an Aussie. Many are born here, but they still cling to the past and refuse to become part of the future as a true Aussie.

People who spend their lives on line, all ft that category, they can't fit into our society and refuse to change. So they try desperately to force their deranged minority demands onto everyone else, with denial, abuse and constant trolling. Most certainly not good country people, just society wreckers.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby johnsmith » 21 Mar 2019, 19:10

i see dax is still his typical self agrandizing abusive self :roll
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Mar 2019, 19:17

Fear of change writ large there.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Texan » 21 Mar 2019, 23:16

HBS Guy wrote:Immigrants can enrich the culture of the host country. I call myself Australian not Dutch-Australian.

I found your cultural enrichment.

https://www.sde.co.ke/article/200131752 ... with-a-cow
President Sam Houston
Texan
mountain lion

Postby Texan » 22 Mar 2019, 12:31

Texan wrote:

I found your cultural enrichment.

https://www.sde.co.ke/article/200131752 ... with-a-cow

I found a more pertinent article over the cultural enrichment that Mexico can offer the US.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/tijuana-i ... eport-says

Our common border is 2000 km long and 3 of the top 5 most violent cities in the world are in Mexico along the US border.
President Sam Houston
Texan
mountain lion

Postby SethBullock » 22 Mar 2019, 14:21

My heritage is Dutch and English.

And yet, I would never call myself a Euro-American. I am a U.S. citizen. I was born in America. I am an American.

If my heritage was of Mexico, I would not wish to call myself a Mexican-American.

If my heritage was of Africa, I would not wish to call myself an Afro-American.

Etc, etc ....

Immigrants who wish to assimilate to American culture and who wish become loyal Americans and who come here legally are welcome as far as I'm concerned.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary
SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Texan » 22 Mar 2019, 14:43

I'm British, Scotish, and Native American, and I'm sure many other cultures. I have Confederate officers and Scottish royalty in my family tree. My ancestors were farmers, store owners, construction workers, soldiers, teachers, preachers, bankers, cattle ranchers, and roughnecks.

My ancestry is so diverse that I couldn't begin to hyphenate my citizenship. If I had to, I'd be Texan-American. Texas is a microcosm of the US and they seem to do things more wisely than the US lately.
President Sam Houston
Texan
mountain lion

Postby SethBullock » 22 Mar 2019, 15:31

Texan wrote:I'm British, Scotish, and Native American, and I'm sure many other cultures. I have Confederate officers and Scottish royalty in my family tree. My ancestors were farmers, store owners, construction workers, soldiers, teachers, preachers, bankers, cattle ranchers, and roughnecks.

My ancestry is so diverse that I couldn't begin to hyphenate my citizenship. If I had to, I'd be Texan-American. Texas is a microcosm of the US and they seem to do things more wisely than the US lately.

You're probably right. For what it's worth, the Oregon State Senate, led by Dems, just killed a stupid, radical gun control law.

Maybe they didn't want to turn a million of us into criminals ...

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 22 Mar 2019, 16:05

SethBullock wrote:
Texan wrote:I'm British, Scotish, and Native American, and I'm sure many other cultures. I have Confederate officers and Scottish royalty in my family tree. My ancestors were farmers, store owners, construction workers, soldiers, teachers, preachers, bankers, cattle ranchers, and roughnecks.

You're probably right. For what it's worth, the Oregon State Senate, led by Dems, just killed a stupid, radical gun control law.

What was the proposal?
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby SethBullock » 22 Mar 2019, 16:45

Aussie wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

What was the proposal?

Well, for one, it would have outlawed all firearms capable of firing more than five rounds of ammunition without reloading. This would outlawed most revolvers and shotguns, not to mention magazine-fed handguns and rifles.

It would have required licensing of all firearms owners which would have had zero effect upon criminals.

It would have restricted ammunition purchases to 20 rounds per month.

It would have required a 14 day waiting period for purchase. (Currently, background checks are done at the time of purchase.)

It would have required all firearms be locked up when not "in use", effectively putting firearms out of reach for home and personal defense.

And, there would be no "grandfathering" of any firearms, making presently owned firearms and magazines that didn't comply with these measures illegal. Oregonians would have had to turn in all non-compliant firearms or been in violation of the law, turning otherwise law-abiding people into criminals.

Clearly, the proposed law was unconstitutional.

The Chairman of the Oregon Senate Judiciary Committee, a Democrat, tabled the legislation. There will be no debate, no vote on it.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 22 Mar 2019, 17:31

SethBullock wrote:
Aussie wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

What was the proposal?

Well, for one, it would have outlawed all firearms capable of firing more than five rounds of ammunition without reloading. This would outlawed most revolvers and shotguns, not to mention magazine-fed handguns and rifles.

It would have required licensing of all firearms owners which would have had zero effect upon criminals.

It would have restricted ammunition purchases to 20 rounds per month.

It would have required a 14 day waiting period for purchase. (Currently, background checks are done at the time of purchase.)

It would have required all firearms be locked up when not "in use", effectively putting firearms out of reach for home and personal defense.

And, there would be no "grandfathering" of any firearms, making presently owned firearms and magazines that didn't comply with these measures illegal. Oregonians would have had to turn in all non-compliant firearms or been in violation of the law, turning otherwise law-abiding people into criminals.

Clearly, the proposed law was unconstitutional.

The Chairman of the Oregon Senate Judiciary Committee, a Democrat, tabled the legislation. There will be no debate, no vote on it.

I would not have had a problem with it. I don't have a problem nuking the 2nd Amendment either but then again, I have not had a gun culture inculcated into my very being to the extent that I'd fear if I lost my "rifle," I'd lose my "gun."
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Next

Return to Off Topic