New Toy

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

New Toy

Postby Aussie » 08 Jan 2019, 14:15

Was given a wood burning engraver thing for Xmas. It's a toy and Ima still playing with it. Have decided to get hold of a better one cause this one is a tad crude in quality........

:bgrin

I'll keep playing with that one.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Re: New Toy

Postby Texan » 09 Jan 2019, 14:09

Can you buy templates to change the font and make it look a little more neat. I always liked the idea of playing around with one of those when I was a kid, but it never happened and I moved on. If you do wood working, it is another tool in your belt. My dad rebuilt all of his cabinets and makes or refinishes most of his furniture since he retired from framing custom homes.

Far cough yourself.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible.
President Sam Houston
Texan
Cheetah

spamone: Animal

Postby greggerypeccary » 09 Jan 2019, 14:17

Aussie wrote:Was given a wood burning engraver thing for Xmas. It's a toy and Ima still playing with it. Have decided to get hold of a better one cause this one is a tad crude in quality........

I've always liked the idea of attacking one of these with one of those:

greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Aussie » 09 Jan 2019, 14:51

Texan wrote:Can you buy templates to change the font and make it look a little more neat. I always liked the idea of playing around with one of those when I was a kid, but it never happened and I moved on. If you do wood working, it is another tool in your belt. My dad rebuilt all of his cabinets and makes or refinishes most of his furniture since he retired from framing custom homes.

Far cough yourself.

I'm sure there are templates or metal stensils, but I guess the thing is to do it by hand, so it is personalised. Yes, I agree, that one is far from neat. I am still practicing and am yet to get the better equipment.

Ima thinking of putting that one over the front door but Ima also well aware that I will be vetoed.

Old Curmudgeon Aussie.

Aussie

Postby mothra » 09 Jan 2019, 15:43

greggerypeccary wrote:
Aussie wrote:Was given a wood burning engraver thing for Xmas. It's a toy and Ima still playing with it. Have decided to get hold of a better one cause this one is a tad crude in quality........

I've always liked the idea of attacking one of these with one of those:

I etched a design from an Alice Walker book onto my first guitar. Thought i was well hard.
mothra
Duck

Postby Texan » 16 Jan 2019, 13:11

Aussie - This is a different type of wood burning, but it might give you a few ideas. The tinted epoxy filler makes it pop.

Greggerpeckery, Mothra - This technique would look awesome on your guitars. Skip through the video, as it's pretty long, unless you decide to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuobNSD5VAY
President Sam Houston
Texan
Cheetah

Postby Aussie » 16 Jan 2019, 14:22

Texan wrote:Aussie - This is a different type of wood burning, but it might give you a few ideas. The tinted epoxy filler makes it pop.

Greggerpeckery, Mothra - This technique would look awesome on your guitars. Skip through the video, as it's pretty long, unless you decide to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuobNSD5VAY

Nifty. I'll try it.

:beer
Aussie

Postby Texan » 16 Jan 2019, 14:37

President Sam Houston
Texan
Cheetah

Postby Sprintcyclist » 16 Jan 2019, 15:03

Texan wrote:Image

very good
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Return to Sand Pit