Electricity Bills

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: Electricity Bills

Postby greggerypeccary » 11 Jan 2019, 12:52

johnsmith wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
the next bill I'm expecting any day now as he finally read the meter on Wednesday

Just got my bill .... as soon as I put away a bit f cash I'm getting solar panels. $640 ...%$#**(^ :mad

$640?

For how long - and how many people in the house?

Electric hot water, or gas?
greggerypeccary
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby johnsmith » 11 Jan 2019, 15:02

greggerypeccary wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
the next bill I'm expecting any day now as he finally read the meter on Wednesday

Just got my bill .... as soon as I put away a bit f cash I'm getting solar panels. $640 ...%$#**(^ :mad

$640?

For how long - and how many people in the house?

Electric hot water, or gas?

4 people, solar hot water, everything else is electric

bill is for a three month period but the previous bill was an estimate based on the 3 months prior to that. The 3 months prior to that the house was empty for half of the time so the estimate was low (about $200). This bill is an actual reading, and has corrected any shortage in charges caused by the 'estimate''. If you take both bills into account, it works out at $800 for 6 months, which sounds much more reasonable.

I'm still not happy with it though. With solar hot water I expected it to be less than my bills at the old place (about $400 for every 3 month period). This works out at about the same.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 13 Jan 2019, 22:38

I checked around a while back. There is a useful .com.au site that compares the different providers.

I am happy with my current provider … I intend to stay on my current option as long as poss. I have far outpaced the end date of my contract, so I am basically on what I am on, and they can't change it. Well, perhaps they can, but have chosen not to. Who knows ?? They need my approval.? :roll
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 16 Jan 2019, 23:36

Noticed how no politician, especially Scott Morrison, is now not even mentioning electricity costs.. ??

Seems it was all just a vote-buyer flavour of the month. :roll :roll

Surprise surprise. What's the latest.. oh His shoes. :roll :roll

Well, I pay what I pay for my electricity usage, and I accept that. Up to me when I use my Air Con.

Have to saY I have been using it profligately in the last week. I hate SUMMER. I HIBERNATE INSIDE.
I set it at 25' yesterday....
I'll pay for it... but that is OK.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Lols » 17 Jan 2019, 00:19

johnsmith wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

You can get a government deal with solar, something like half price at about $2500 apparently.

We have a long horrible story about electricity costs.

First, we were with Origin, then Country something or rather, that Origin bought out. So our 3 monthy bill was $1100 :huh :WTF

It used to be something like $650-850 and still couldn't understand why such a high electricity bill....only 3 of us in the house, and wood heater, or gas tank heater, and solar hot water service.

I honestly thought our house had a big leakage somewhere.

Then a long story short, we got 20 solar panels, and over $5000 later, and the bill after 6 months was still high, and I said to the solar panel company, why it's not reading up to 5000 kwh on the meter thingy they put up, when the sun was out.
They told me, to do this count every day at the same time. I did, and they thought it was odd.

I said, something is wrong, it never goes over 3000 kwh on their reading thingy with the sun shining brightly.

They tell me, it will cost $200 to come out and check if nothing is wrong, or they can service the solar panels.

I said, send someone out and forget about servicing.

So out they come, and to my horror , I find out 7 panels were not connected!!! Of course, I am not charged anything, their fault, idiots!

So out of 20 solar panels, only 13 were operating for 7 months.

So then, I had another electric company that offered 48% discount, forgot the name, could be Sumo.....
The electricity bill is around the $600 mark...I thought, it's finally getting half way down. But I use gas cooking, wood heating, instant gas heating for the hot water (costing me $2500), (the solar hws packed it in)...and only 3 of us living here. It still puzzled me.

But wait, there's more....whilst up in our Queensland house for a holiday, I went to the supermarket at the Harbourtown Shopping Centre, and saw Alinta offering services just outside the supermarket area, and I said, wow, so now there are other elec companies allowed to come and provice electricity other than just Origin being the sole one up in Queensland!!
And I saw their offer, and it was the amount of money they charge per kw, was so much cheaper, and yet, still offered 48% off electricity.

I asked, if they do this down in Victoria, and the answer was yes.

I compared the price of what they charge, and found Sumo to be so expensive comapred to alinta, it shocked me, once I changed, and I only just got my first bill after 3 months from Alinta, it was around the $300 mark.

Now how's that for a struggle against high electricity cost? All that effort, and puzzlement, and trying to avoid electricity with heating, cooking and hot water, to finally getting a frikking fairer deal, for the first time in 25 years living here, it has finally given me some peace of mind.

To think, them stupid surveys online, of comparing electricity companies is a bloody joke, we were offered Sumo, and it was a rip off.

I won't ever trust those turkeys that say they are electricity brokers and can compare for you, do it yourself, simply call and ask what they charge per kw and what their discount is.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby pinkeye » 17 Jan 2019, 03:42

Truly..?
it's a shitfight.

Just like Insurance, you can't believe anything you are told.... YOU must read the Small Print.!!

Solar? great for some, not so much for others.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Previous

Return to Politics