This Australian summer

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: This Australian summer

Postby Lols » 06 Dec 2018, 19:10

Aussie wrote:
Lols wrote:
SethBullock wrote:My wood stove allows you to enjoy the sight of a fire in your living room, but it doesn't let all the heat just disappear up the chimney.

Exactly the same as our free standing wood heater, and unlike open fire place, at least we can control the amount of wood burning by choking off the air with a lever, and have it simmer all night enough to keep the chill from forming.

We used to have an open fireplace in the last place, and we got a coonara fire place insert, was the best thing we ever did.

Philistine!!!!!!!!

:OMG

Wrong word starting with "p" try 'practical' :B
When one uses it as primary source of heating, who gathers the wood, chops the wood, stores the wood? It's a lot of hard work, and to make the wood last longer, it's better in an enclosure, of course, I luv an open fire place, but most have that as a feature, party time, glass of wine, just to make an ambient mood. It's a yuppy thing that :roll
We have trees that fall down from mad weather conditions, which upsets me, as I love the trees to remain, and stay strong in their place, but alas, we then we use that for the following year's wood supply, letting it mature a year so it burns better. Nothing goes to waste here...see, practicality :bgrin
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Postby Lols » 06 Dec 2018, 19:12

Aussie wrote:My daughter keeps native bee hives in her backyard patio. Seems to be no shortage of bees.

Glad to hear that, but when we had that bee shortage here, where it's vineyards, orchardists, strawberries etc. It was a bad couple of years.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Aussie » 06 Dec 2018, 19:21

Lols wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Lols wrote:
SethBullock wrote:My wood stove allows you to enjoy the sight of a fire in your living room, but it doesn't let all the heat just disappear up the chimney.

Exactly the same as our free standing wood heater, and unlike open fire place, at least we can control the amount of wood burning by choking off the air with a lever, and have it simmer all night enough to keep the chill from forming.

We used to have an open fireplace in the last place, and we got a coonara fire place insert, was the best thing we ever did.

Philistine!!!!!!!!

When one uses it as primary source of heating, who gathers the wood, chops the wood, stores the wood? It's a lot of hard work, and to make the wood last longer, it's better in an enclosure, of course, I luv an open fire place, but most have that as a feature, party time, glass of wine, just to make an ambient mood. It's a yuppy thing that :roll
We have trees that fall down from mad weather conditions, which upsets me, as I love the trees to remain, and stay strong in their place, but alas, we then we use that for the following year's wood supply, letting it mature a year so it burns better. Nothing goes to waste here...see, practicality :bgrin

Nah. Nah. Nah.

I hate to see it, when I walk into homes, as I have in Tasmania visiting friends, to see those old open fireplaces bricked in or whatever and replaced with those oven things. I'm not agin those oven things...I have had them as well, and they do provide cosy warmth, but.....to farq with the original historic thing......only a PHILISTINE would do that.

So there.

:B
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby Lols » 06 Dec 2018, 20:18

Aussie wrote:
Lols wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Lols wrote:

Philistine!!!!!!!!

Nah. Nah. Nah.

I hate to see it, when I walk into homes, as I have in Tasmania visiting friends, to see those old open fireplaces bricked in or whatever and replaced with those oven things. I'm not agin those oven things...I have had them as well, and they do provide cosy warmth, but.....to farq with the original historic thing......only a PHILISTINE would do that.

So there.

:B

Now Aussie..look at moiye :meet

When one walks into my home, the smell of that wood in the air, with the warmth of the fire (and it's a beautiful kind of warmth, not like those ducted heatings)....it's comforting, everyone loves it, and you can go near the freestanding fireplace and still warm yer bum near it! And yes, we still see the flames flickering from the fire, warm, ambient, and...practical!
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Miranda » 06 Dec 2018, 21:27

Extreme heatwave to stretch from northern WA to Adelaide and Melbourne

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-06/ ... e/10590776
Miranda
Jack Russell

Postby Dax » 07 Dec 2018, 06:15

Aussie wrote:That does not sound too good at all!

What is surprising is, we've had a lot of rain lately and I left the front door open to the house yesterday arvo, yet no mossies were in the house during the night. That could change any time and even though I don;t lie mossies, would not he good to not see any more.
Dax
Irish wolfhound

Postby Dax » 07 Dec 2018, 06:19

Lols wrote:
Dax wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Dax wrote:The one thing that stands out for me this winter is, no flies, no bees, no European wasps, very few birds in the garden and virtually no insects. To me that's a worrying sign.

Thought you were in Australia?

:b

No Tassie. This is the first year we have had almost no native bees feasting on our gardens. Really noticed it when our wattle went into bloom and they are normally covered in little native bees buzzing round. This year almost none and all our flowering plants we use for attracting them, they ain't hanging round. Same with lots of our white gums, are dying off because it is too hot for them. We normally have lots of bell birds, parrots, etc, none so far this year and our magpies have not returned at their usual time.

I found that happened here about 2 years ago, I wondered where all the bees were. I even went into the Council office to ask if they knew about this.
And was told....it's to do with technology, all the new communication towers being put up....and the orchardists were struggling to yield one third cherries from their trees, and the pickers that come into work at the summer season during cherry season, has only 5 weeks work instead of 11 or more.

The honey situation seemed dire, and bee keepers were saying their bees were stressed and the honey consistency wasn't it's usual self.

I am happy to say, I see heaps of bees out there this summer, such a joy to see them. I don't know what's changed for that to happen, but hopefully it stays this way.

That may well be the case, as we've had fixed wireless NBN installed down here in the last couple of years and from what I'm told it is getting more and more congested. They have shown that wireless does effect birds and insects pretty badly and they either succumb or learn to live with it. Our average temps here have shot up in the last few years, according to BOM, our area's average has risen 3deg and it feels like it, especially during winter.
Dax
Irish wolfhound

Postby Tally » 07 Dec 2018, 13:33

HBS Guy wrote:Is going to be brutal.

39°C here today, 37°C tomorrow and so on.

Air conditioners going, no Hazelwood power station, aging coal plants crashing offline too bloody often. Probably not much wind.

And I have a 98 year old to look after. What if power goes out for a day—or two—on a 40+°C day?

Hobart—low to mid 20s but no use to me yet!

Today is just horrible :(

No AC and I'm caring for a person in poor health. I've got a 2 fans going and I'm misting us both with a spray bottle.
Luceat Lux Vestra
Tally
puppy

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Dec 2018, 14:13

With a passive solar strawbale home I won’t need much heating, small woodfire.

Most open fireplaces are inefficient—somewhere I have a book on open fireplaces I bought when contemplating a house in Tassie. I remember a chimney that was folded like a concertina, lot of surface area, lot of heat transfer through the wall of the chimney.

I will ensure an open fireplace will be enough by making the house small with a quarter of the area a conservatory, whole area under 100sqm/1070sqft. Less to clean, less to warm.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lols » 07 Dec 2018, 18:58

And today's weather was.....

Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Lols » 07 Dec 2018, 19:08

HBS Guy wrote:With a passive solar strawbale home I won’t need much heating, small woodfire.

Most open fireplaces are inefficient—somewhere I have a book on open fireplaces I bought when contemplating a house in Tassie. I remember a chimney that was folded like a concertina, lot of surface area, lot of heat transfer through the wall of the chimney.

I will ensure an open fireplace will be enough by making the house small with a quarter of the area a conservatory, whole area under 100sqm/1070sqft. Less to clean, less to warm.

Our last place, was a double brick house, (Daniel Robertson brick...double baked or longer baked, more expensive hardy brick etc), with double brick interior walls as well, and we had big eaves all around the house, plus insulation, terra cotta roof tiles, the windows had heavy drapes with block out lining, on a concrete slab, with wool carpet and cork floor tiles, and with a fireplace insert, the wood heater needed to only tick over on low heat, to keep the house very comfortable.
It was the most amazing place, and the floor was never cold. It never went under 12 degrees in winter, and was cool as in summer, hardly ever needed to use the air con. Best place ever! Thus the electricity was a economical amount, cheaper than this house we are in now, with huge windows everywhere, and vaulted ceilings with windows up there as well!! Nightmare to cool and to heat.

The strawbale home should be much the same as our last home, only need to tick over the fireplace and it will be comfy for ages, and your wood will last longer, so you don't have to keep filling up the fireplace too often.
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 07 Dec 2018, 19:21

sounds like you mexicans are copping it this week. We've had out turn.

It's much more bearable this week with an overcast day in the mid 20's. :bgrin
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 07 Dec 2018, 20:21

johnsmith wrote:sounds like you mexicans are copping it this week. We've had out turn.

It's much more bearable this week with an overcast day in the mid 20's. :bgrin

Yes....and 19 C overnight. Great.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby pinkeye » 08 Dec 2018, 01:24

Tally wrote:

Air conditioners going, no Hazelwood power station, aging coal plants crashing offline too bloody often. Probably not much wind.

And I have a 98 year old to look after. What if power goes out for a day—or two—on a 40+°C day?

Today is just horrible :(

No AC and I'm caring for a person in poor health. I've got a 2 fans going and I'm misting us both with a spray bottle.

You're doing good..
This is going to be a bad summer.
I wonder if you have thought of doing what my Mum used to do in the dry heat of a Riverina Summer. She's wet old sheets in the laundry tube, and hang them over any available window,. the airflow through the windows cause a similar outcome to Evaporative Coolers.

No AC is bad.
Best wishes to you and yours.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 08 Dec 2018, 01:25

Lols wrote:
Aussie wrote:My daughter keeps native bee hives in her backyard patio. Seems to be no shortage of bees.

Glad to hear that, but when we had that bee shortage here, where it's vineyards, orchardists, strawberries etc. It was a bad couple of years.

That is bad news.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 08 Dec 2018, 01:37

I live in a place which has lots of bees.

Last couple of months or so all I can hear is the Buzz, and all I can smell is the nectar in the blossoms....
well, close. Huge winds brought down some branches, all smothered in blossom last week, and the heat was awful, but now.. it's cool.

My two ( that I know of) Native Bees Nests are humming... I also have a rogue nest of European Bees, high up. They are currently getting on OK. I get the occassional Blue-Banded Bee, and have had, in the past.. Australia's version of the BumbleBee.. the Carpenter Bee.

I hope that this summer doesn't take too hard a toll on our wildlife, BUT I have no real hope for the future.

I gave up watching David Attenborough programmes years ago.

Depresses the shit out of me. They are in effect, museum artifacts. :sad

Memorials. :sad
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Dec 2018, 08:40

Will buy a big bottle au de cologne, Mum can wipe herself with a cloth wetted with it, as it evaporates it will cool her.

I remembered suddenly that I had a bar fridge: that and a small generator will keep food cold, provide cold water etc and the genny can power a fan or a small poratble ac.

Wet sheet would work well: put it over the front screen door and arrange a draft with a window open somewhere. Won’t work well for most of January tho, that is now Qld weather, hot & humid.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 09 Dec 2018, 02:29

yeah it is most effective in the drier more arid areas.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Dec 2018, 08:32

Will be fine in Feb which is always hot.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 10 Dec 2018, 02:19

so now it is cool here, relative to Average Temperatures. Well that is fine by me.
Might get some rain from the remnants of TC Owen, but nothing worth the mention really.

Need more widespread rain..
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Lols » 10 Dec 2018, 13:55

We now have a perfect pleasant day, sunny, little breeze, and 25 deg C.
It did rain a bit overnight, so at least it cools things off a bit and keeps the greenery damp.

But these drastic drops in temp of approx. 20 deg is a killer, the bones ache, and I think, am I getting old? Or is it my bones are a better predictor of weather changes!!
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Bongalong » 10 Dec 2018, 16:45

SHE'LL PROBABLY TELL YOU NOT TO PUT THE AIRCON ON DURING THE DAY......... :beer :gsp :gsp :gsp :gsp :gsp
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Dec 2018, 18:19

Can’t put it on in a blackout, dopy!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 10 Dec 2018, 23:31

err have you been having blackouts.?

I mean you're talking about them, and maybe I'm asking.. is SA suffering blackouts.... due to USAGE, not storm,,..??

Just curious, cos a around my area did drop out some thousands, ( not me) due to storms recently. Not an endemic failure of the power system.??

I mean over here on the east coast ALL we hear is how bad it is in SA .
Well, that's the drift. I've never believed it personally. Just garbage put out by propaganda machines for political parties.

SA has been THE pioneering state in Australia and if it weren't for the ferocious heat, and potential unliveability in the Future, it would be an attractive place to settle.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 11 Dec 2018, 05:20

HBS Guy wrote:Can’t put it on in a blackout, dopy!

Blackout, what's that. :rofl
Dax
Irish wolfhound

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic