Islamic State Claims Its Fighter Did Stabbings In Melbourne

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Islamic State Claims Its Fighter Did Stabbings In Melbourne

Postby SethBullock » 11 Nov 2018, 14:19

Islamic State claims its ‘fighter’ carried out stabbings in Melbourne
By Thomas Joscelyn | November 9, 2018 | tjoscelyn@gmail.com | @thomasjoscelyn

Shortly after 4pm local time today, Australian police rushed to the scene of a car fire in Melbourne. The scene turned bloody as a knifeman killed one person, wounding two others, in a stabbing rampage.

The Victoria Police quickly said the assault was “being treated as terror related.” As the “police officers got out of their vehicle,” according to the Victoria Police’s account, “they were confronted by a male who began a physical altercation with them.” The man tried to flee, but confronted the police with his blade after they gave chase. The assailant, a 31-year-old, was subsequently shot and killed.

“The man was known to Victoria Police and federal intelligence authorities by way of his family associations,” the police said in their statement.

Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton subsequently confirmed that the terrorist was known to authorities because of suspicions surrounding his family members. According to BBC News, Ashton identified the stabber as being of Somali origin, adding that he is “someone that is known,” because his “relatives” are “certainly persons of interest to us.” Ashton didn’t explain further.

18-11-09-IS-claims-stabbing-attack-in-Melbourne-Australia-768x256.jpg

The Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack via its Amaq News Agency. See the statement, in Arabic, above.

Amaq claims the terrorist is one of the group’s “fighters,” saying that he carried out the stabbings and “running over” of victims in “response” to calls to target the “nationals of coalition countries.” Amaq has employed similar language after a series of other attacks in the West, repeatedly attributing acts of violence to the Islamic State’s encouragement.

Common Islamic State tactics

The so-called caliphate has not provided any details about the slasher, but his crude tactics — combining a vehicular assault with stabbings — is similar to that used in past small-scale operations. The examples below were previously written up by FDD’s Long War Journal.

In Nov. 2016, Abdul Razak Ali Artan drove a car into pedestrians at Ohio State University before jumping out and wielding a blade. US authorities subsequently revealed that Artan had been, at a minimum, inspired by a pro-Islamic State cleric.

In Mar. 2017, Khalid Masood drove his vehicle into pedestrians near the British parliament, then exited the driver’s seat to stab and slash others.

In June 2017, three terrorists rammed their vehicle into pedestrians on London Bridge and then used knives or other short blades to assault diners at the nearby Borough Market. One of the attackers, Khuram Shazad Butt, was previously associated with Al-Muhajiroun, an extremist organization in the UK that endorsed Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi’s self-declared caliphate.

In July 2018, several youth used a vehicle and knives to assault foreign cyclists in Tajikistan. They killed four people, including two Americans. The Islamic State’s Amaq News subsequently released a video of the group swearing allegiance to Baghdadi before the murders.

A similar scene unfolded in Chechnya in Aug. 2018, when four young adults used at least one car and blades to go after police. The Islamic State again released footage of the young jihadists swearing their fealty to Baghdadi beforehand.

Previous Islamic State plots in Australia

The Islamic State has been tied to other plots and attacks in Australia. Yacqub Khayre, a Somali-born citizen of Australia, took a hostage at an apartment building in June 2017. Police rushed to the scene and some of the officers were wounded in the ensuing confrontation with Khayre, who was shot and killed. According to BBC News, Khayre “called a broadcaster during the siege to say he was acting in the name of the Islamic State.”

Amaq issued a claim of responsibility after Khayre’s short-lived siege. It echoed other statements by the Islamic State’s propaganda arm, describing Khayre as a “soldier” of the group. Amaq’s June 2017 claim can be seen below:

17-06-05-Amaq-claims-attack-in-Melbourne-English-version-768x256.jpg

Two months later, in early Aug. 2017, Australian authorities announced that they had thwarted a “sophisticated” Islamic State plot against aviation. The would-be terrorists, who were communicating with one or more Islamic State members in Syria, attempted to smuggle an improvised explosive device (IED) on board a flight leaving Sydney. Islamic State operatives in Syria shipped components for the IED to their comrades in Australia. [See FDD’s Long War Journal report, Australia disrupts ‘sophisticated’ plot directed by the Islamic State.]

Thomas Joscelyn is a Senior Fellow at the Foundation for Defense of Democracies and the Senior Editor for FDD's Long War Journal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Re: Islamic State Claims Its Fighter Did Stabbings In Melbou

Postby Aussie » 11 Nov 2018, 14:26

ISIS like to claim these wankers are part of their army.....but I say it is bollocks. This bloke, (and it seems other Members of his Family) is just a fuck wit, no hero. And.....just to be a bear poking smart arse for a second......how much more damage could he have done if he had access to a gun, assault rifle etc?
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby SethBullock » 11 Nov 2018, 14:48

Aussie wrote:ISIS like to claim these wankers are part of their army.....but I say it is bollocks. This bloke, (and it seems other Members of his Family) is just a fuck wit, no hero. And.....just to be a bear poking smart arse for a second......how much more damage could he have done if he had access to a gun, assault rifle etc?

Your intelligence community was aware of him and his family because of their associations. My guess is they were immersing themselves in this ideology one way or the other.
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby Texan » 11 Nov 2018, 15:07

Aussie wrote:ISIS like to claim these wankers are part of their army.....but I say it is bollocks. This bloke, (and it seems other Members of his Family) is just a fuck wit, no hero. And.....just to be a bear poking smart arse for a second......how much more damage could he have done if he had access to a gun, assault rifle etc?

I'm glad he was shot and killed by a good guy with a gun. It's a good thing the wanker couldn't get a moving truck and a large crowd. He could have killed 80 like at Nice, France. Idiots are going to kill and there is no stopping them completely. Be a soft target if you want, I choose otherwise.

Guard your borders and control who moves in like your life depends on it, because it probably does.
Texan
Feral cat

Postby Aussie » 11 Nov 2018, 15:24

Texan wrote:

I'm glad he was shot and killed by a good guy with a gun. It's a good thing the wanker couldn't get a moving truck and a large crowd. He could have killed 80 like at Nice, France. Idiots are going to kill and there is no stopping them completely. Be a soft target if you want, I choose otherwise.

Guard your borders and control who moves in like your life depends on it, because it probably does.

Over there, are you getting the story of the homeless bloke, hero who took the wanker on with a shopping trolly?
Aussie

Postby SethBullock » 11 Nov 2018, 15:33

Aussie wrote:
Texan wrote:

Over there, are you getting the story of the homeless bloke, hero who took the wanker on with a shopping trolly?

Our media is consumed with political news and some huge fires in California. Tell the story!
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby Aussie » 11 Nov 2018, 15:39

Here ya go:

Link.
Aussie

Postby SethBullock » 11 Nov 2018, 15:50

Aussie wrote:Here ya go:

Link.

Thanks.
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 11 Nov 2018, 17:22

Texan wrote: Be a soft target if you want, I choose otherwise.

Just think how many he could have killed if he had access to a gun :roll
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby Dax » 12 Nov 2018, 05:49

Texan wrote:

Hasn't stopped the almost daily mass killing in the good ole god fearing USA has it, just the opposite. if he co0ulod have got an ar15 as easily as you can in the USA, we would have seen many more killed. Which is proof our gun laws do work, you just can't stop god nutter from continuing with their slaughter, because it is part of the yahweh doctrine and always has been.
Dax
Pitbull terrier

Return to Off Topic