What Beer Do You Like?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby SethBullock » 10 Nov 2018, 16:34

HBS Guy wrote:Been out a lot this week, haven’t had a chance to look for Deschutes beer but will look for it tomorrow and the Baron de Ley tomorrow.

Hope you can find it.
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Postby Cracky » 10 Nov 2018, 16:44

HBS Guy wrote:Been out a lot this week, haven’t had a chance to look for Deschutes beer but will look for it tomorrow and the Baron de Ley tomorrow.

I am pretty happy with Australian wine, we do make plenty of good wine here and SA has several classic wine areas. From North to a fair way south we have the Clare Valley—great white wines—the Barossa and its reds, Adelaide Hills also makes nice whites, Southern Vales and its offshoot at Langhorne Creek then way down in the south east is the Coonawarra region on terra rosa soil, incredibly refined yet gutsy reds, great whites.

My favorite winery is Saltrams in the Barossa. Open day two years ago (when I was in their No 1 Club) we did a vertical taste test of cabernet all the way bay to 1979. Bloody nice!

French wine may be better but only when you spend like $500 a bottle. Lots o vin du pays and vin ordinaire gets made there!

I’m sure there are Aussie-made wines that I would like if I took the time and effort to seek them out. I drove up through Barossa valley when I lived in Oz (beginning of the 80’s) but I wasn’t interested in wine back then so I never even stopped to have a taste.

Funny ain’t it, you thinking French wine expensive. It’s all about import I guess. Sure, you can spend your monthly wages on it if you pluck the expensive ones from the shelves but some very drinkable ones are available for a pittance. In fact, I don’t really think there is an import from France (here in Sweden) that is undrinkable whereas the cheapest Italian and Bulgarian isn’t worth a drunkard’s bother.
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." Bruce Lee
Cracky
Jack Russell

Postby Cracky » 10 Nov 2018, 16:47

SethBullock wrote:

Hope you can find it.

https://www.systembolaget.se/dryck/roda ... ley-252501
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." Bruce Lee
Cracky
Jack Russell

Postby SethBullock » 11 Nov 2018, 12:52

Great news, Animals!

I finally got an answer from the Deschutes Brewery to my inquiry. I had emailed, asking if they distributed to Australia. Here is the answer I got!

Hello *******,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us, and for being a fan of Deschutes beer! We appreciate your desire to share your favorite Oregon beer with your friends in Australia, and I have good news! Deschutes is available throughout Australia, as we are distributed by Experience It Beverages: http://www.experienceitbeverages.com.au/ .

Let your friends know to check in at the site provided, and they should be able to score several of our offerings. Other than that, I believe that you can ship beer directly to them, but I believe it’s quite expensive if your carrier knows that the package contains alcohol. Not totally sure of the legalities there, but it may be worth looking into if your friends are in a remote area of the country where craft beer retailers are scarce.

I hope that helps ******! Thanks for reaching out, and for drinking Deschutes. Hope your friends enjoy the beer! Cheers,

So I encourage you to explore the website.

After going to the link, click on Enter Main Site

Click on On Tap at the top of the page. They have two locations - Brookvale and Manly. Click on Troubadour Taps. Pull down to Packaged Beers. On the list is "Fresh Squeezed IPA" (hoppy and citrusy) and Pacific Wonderland Lager (a good choice for Aussie).

You can also check out the Range button to see what all they have.

And they also have the Trade Zone button where it looks like you can create an account and place orders.

Cheers! :beer
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby SethBullock » 11 Nov 2018, 13:04

Tonight's selection ...

Deschutes Obsidian.JPG

Very, very dark brown. Velvety smooth, rich tasting, fresh tasting, well balanced, very light carbonation, 6.4%.

From the bottle: "Notes of espresso and dark chocolate with a roasty finish."

Just sort of sipping this beer. It is very good. Not for gulping to quench a thirst, but, instead, to savor.

Seth
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Nov 2018, 13:39

Enjoyed a 20oz can of Deschutes “Fresh squeezed IPA”

Poured rather dark—the “P” in “IPA” does stand for pale.

HUGE nose, all hops and hops is what you expect in an IPA. Tasted nice and cleanly bitter and the taste lingered for a long time. Be interesting to cellar these for a year. The bitterness should decline as the iso-alpha acids from the hops turn into flavonoids. (There are beta acids in hops but they don’t really do anything.)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 11 Nov 2018, 13:51

HBS Guy wrote:Enjoyed a 20oz can of Deschutes “Fresh squeezed IPA”

Poured rather dark—the “P” in “IPA” does stand for pale.

HUGE nose, all hops and hops is what you expect in an IPA. Tasted nice and cleanly bitter and the taste lingered for a long time. Be interesting to cellar these for a year. The bitterness should decline as the iso-alpha acids from the hops turn into flavonoids. (There are beta acids in hops but they don’t really do anything.)

So you got some! Tell the story!

Yes, Fresh Squeezed is full of flavor, hoppy and citrusy, and the taste does linger. Did you like it?

I never gulp Fresh Squeezed. To do so is a waste. I like to take a small mouthful and swallow and just enjoy all that flavor.
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Nov 2018, 14:42

On the way back from Strathalbyn yesterday I called in at the bottleshop of the Edinburgh hotel in Mitcham. Ordered my usual 3 x 750ml bottles Coopers Sparkling Ale then, remembering, looked in the beer fridge. There is another can, a different Deschutes IPA in my fridge. Will get it now.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Nov 2018, 14:50

Deschutes Fresh Haze IPA.

Smells divine. Pours hazy like it says (just like my Coopers Sparkling) with a big head of big, medium and small bubbles. The beer is paler than the Fresh Squeezed which I applaud. Not as bitter, more flavor, lemony-citrusy. Head hangs around which I like—can’t have a “bucket of suds” without the suds!

Leaves a nice taste in the mouth. Lovely!

I liked both the beers but would like them a bit paler.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 11 Nov 2018, 14:58

HBS Guy wrote:Deschutes Fresh Haze IPA.

Smells divine. Pours hazy like it says (just like my Coopers Sparkling) with a big head of big, medium and small bubbles. The beer is paler than the Fresh Squeezed which I applaud. Not as bitter, more flavor, lemony-citrusy. Head hangs around which I like—can’t have a “bucket of suds” without the suds!

Leaves a nice taste in the mouth. Lovely!

I liked both the beers but would like them a bit paler.

Ah yes, Fresh Haze. Excellent! I mentioned it and put up a picture of mine on pg 1 of this thread.

So glad you're getting a chance to taste these!

:beer
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Nov 2018, 16:08

SethBullock wrote:Coopers beers are available at a few places around Portland. You've got me curious now, so I want to stop in at one of those places one of these days.

Here's what I'm drinking right now. This is delicious!

Fresh Haze.JPG

This is Deschutes Brewery Fresh Haze. Most of Deschutes' products are bottled, so I was skeptical when I saw this in the store in cans. But it is delicious. It's a fairly hoppy IPA but with a slight twist of orange citrus. From the can:

"A hazy twist on your main squeeze, this juice bomb explodes with notes of orange citrus sweetness and a soft malty body."

Damn!

The only bad thing about talking about beer is not being able to sit at a bar together and talking about beer while we sample them. :sad

Tried that one, as I said. Very nice ale indeed.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Nov 2018, 16:22

India Pale Ale, first fully industrial beer: porter from the 18th century was partly industrial. The industrial revolution had proceeded to the point that a lot of coal was burned in the absence of oxygen to get the turpentine and town gas from it. The coke that was left was nearly pure carbon and burned cleanly with no smoke, no flareups etc. So the barley that had been malted until its enzymes had been activated could be kilned on screens above a fire and dried without the malt coloring or picking up smoky flavors.

Ships sailing from London to India sailed empty, hence freight London-Goa were very cheap and there were Indian Civil Service wallahs and troops dreaming of beer. London to Goa by sailing ship is a long journey and in these prePasteur days the beer would spoil. Hops are antibacterial, as is alcohol. So make the beers a bit strong and medicinally bitter with hops. On the docks a cup of sugar was poured into each barrel, to give the yeast something to eat.

It isn’t easy to store beer in wooden barrels: if there is an airbubble in the beer in the barrel all the CO2 created by the yeast will move into that bubble, pressure builds up and the barrel explodes!

So they did all that but still many barrels arrived infected and were emptied into Goa harbor.

When Indian Civil Servants retired to England and asked for their favorite tiple they found it too bitter—and the breweries had no intention of aging the barrels on their premises at their expense so gradually the ale was bittered less and bitters became the ale of choice. There are very nice bitters (NOT VB!) but they do not have the punch of an IPA!

IPA lasted 2-3 decades as a beer style. As well as bitters IPA helped create Pilsner lagers.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Nov 2018, 16:27

As well as beer, porcelain and fine pottery benefitted from coke as a clean fuel. Kiln dust became a thing of the past—used to have black spots in nearly every kiln fired item. I collect bits of porcelain and read about the history of beer.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 11 Nov 2018, 16:30

HBS Guy wrote:India Pale Ale, first fully industrial beer: porter from the 18th century was partly industrial. The industrial revolution had proceeded to the point that a lot of coal was burned in the absence of oxygen to get the turpentine and town gas from it. The coke that was left was nearly pure carbon and burned cleanly with no smoke, no flareups etc. So the barley that had been malted until its enzymes had been activated could be kilned on screens above a fire and dried without the malt coloring or picking up smoky flavors.

Ships sailing from London to India sailed empty, hence freight London-Goa were very cheap and there were Indian Civil Service wallahs and troops dreaming of beer. London to Goa by sailing ship is a long journey and in these prePasteur days the beer would spoil. Hops are antibacterial, as is alcohol. So make the beers a bit strong and medicinally bitter with hops. On the docks a cup of sugar was poured into each barrel, to give the yeast something to eat.

It isn’t easy to store beer in wooden barrels: if there is an airbubble in the beer in the barrel all the CO2 created by the yeast will move into that bubble, pressure builds up and the barrel explodes!

So they did all that but still many barrels arrived infected and were emptied into Goa harbor.

When Indian Civil Servants retired to England and asked for their favorite tiple they found it too bitter—and the breweries had no intention of aging the barrels on their premises at their expense so gradually the ale was bittered less and bitters became the ale of choice. There are very nice bitters (NOT VB!) but they do not have the punch of an IPA!

IPA lasted 2-3 decades as a beer style. As well as bitters IPA helped create Pilsner lagers.

Interesting history.
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 11 Nov 2018, 17:20

Drinking Peroni today. Imported, not the brewed under license. Not bad but I prefer the Japanese beers
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Nov 2018, 17:38

I might pop off an essay on beer when something mentioned strikes my fancy.

IPA was exported all over the place: South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, America.

It WAS an iconic beer style despite its short life. Homebrewers then craft brewers rescued it. Porter was another beer style brewed nowhere until homebrewers rescued it from oblivion.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 11 Nov 2018, 20:49

SethBullock wrote:Tonight's selection ...

Deschutes Obsidian.JPG

Very, very dark brown. Velvety smooth, rich tasting, fresh tasting, well balanced, very light carbonation, 6.4%.

From the bottle: "Notes of espresso and dark chocolate with a roasty finish."

Just sort of sipping this beer. It is very good. Not for gulping to quench a thirst, but, instead, to savor.

Seth

That sounds like my sort of beer.
Might make a stout next time, even though it is not stout weather
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Nov 2018, 21:19

Cold steep say 100g chocolate malt and 400g black patent malt, Sprint and be surprised and pleased at the flavor in your beer.

Get the HBS to crush the grains for you and I will explain cold steeping. It isn’t mashing—the grain is roasted that much no enzymes left, just roasty flavors.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Previous

Return to Off Topic