What Beer Do You Like?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby Aussie » 06 Nov 2018, 17:15

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Aussie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
A pint of Guinness each day can help stop you going deaf, new research shows.

I'm framing that and sticking over my bar :giggle :giggle

Dickhead! There goes the "I didn't hear you Dear," defence!

yes , but if u only get better hearing while drinking does it matter :purple

Think about it. She sees the beer intake increase.....but no improvement in the hearing.......??????
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby DonDeeHippy » 06 Nov 2018, 17:29

if only id been drinking Guinness id have a answer :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Irish wolfhound

spamone: Animal

Postby johnsmith » 06 Nov 2018, 19:06

Aussie wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Aussie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
A pint of Guinness each day can help stop you going deaf, new research shows.

I'm framing that and sticking over my bar :giggle :giggle

Dickhead! There goes the "I didn't hear you Dear," defence!

yes , but if u only get better hearing while drinking does it matter :purple

Think about it. She sees the beer intake increase.....but no improvement in the hearing.......??????

doesn't say it improves hearing . :roll
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby Cracky » 08 Nov 2018, 05:15

Beer is like coffee - whatever is available is what you are used to - is what you like.
Perlenbacher from Lidl. It's cheap and it tastes good.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." Bruce Lee
Cracky
Jack Russell

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Nov 2018, 17:13

Yes, some people drink what is available, even VB {shudder}

But I like to smell hops and maybe malt in my beer which should not be too fizzy or too cold (barley wines, big ass beers are carbonated a bit more than other beers, balance the shitload of malt) and have beery flavor and finish on a nice note that hangs around in my mouth. And I prefer ales.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Cracky » 08 Nov 2018, 17:32

HBS Guy wrote:Yes, some people drink what is available, even VB {shudder}

But I like to smell hops and maybe malt in my beer which should not be too fizzy or too cold (barley wines, big ass beers are carbonated a bit more than other beers, balance the shitload of malt) and have beery flavor and finish on a nice note that hangs around in my mouth. And I prefer ales.

I never gave all of that much specific thought but I see the wisdom in your words. If I took a gulp of something well-carbonated I'm sure I'd spit it out. And as far as your comments about hops (or yeast) I have to say that nearly all of the beer from the former Warsaw Pact countries can take their brew and shove it. Some think Czech beer is fair dinkum but I don' like it. It's only a shade better than Russian swallop.
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." Bruce Lee
Cracky
Jack Russell

Postby DonDeeHippy » 08 Nov 2018, 17:57

I know it’s not beer , but at least it’s Alcohol , I usually have white spirits and soda water... well tequila and soda water and lime...
A friend has my shared love of tequila and he put the bottle in the freezer and has shoots with lime juice and I am hooked, actually any spirit in the freezer and in a shoot glass is pretty nice.

Ohh and note about tequila if it doesn’t say 100% agave then is actually 2 spirits ( usually white spirit or dodgy white rum)
No wonder so many ppl think it’s so bad , u drink a cheep bottle and Instant mixed drinks..... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Irish wolfhound

Postby SethBullock » 08 Nov 2018, 18:08

Cracky wrote:Beer is like coffee - whatever is available is what you are used to - is what you like.
Perlenbacher from Lidl. It's cheap and it tastes good.

I suppose what you say is true about what you're used to. I looked at a couple of reviews of this beer, and, well ... if you're used to it ... :roll
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby Cracky » 08 Nov 2018, 18:31

SethBullock wrote:I suppose what you say is true about what you're used to. I looked at a couple of reviews of this beer, and, well ... if you're used to it ... :roll

You've committed a cardinal sin. NEVER read the reviews until AFTER you've tried it yourself. If you're looking for a hotel or a restaurant then sure, alright but when it comes to taste (the kind that affects your buds that is) always taste first, review second.

I'm not a beer-drinker, telling the truth. Wine's my thing. Strictly with a meal. But I don't drink white wine. It's for women. Anyway, I heard that the wine from the Moldavia Republic was good stuff so when I went down for a look-see I bought a bottle of red wine (it was a dark bottle) and brought it back with me. When I pulled the cork I discovered it was white (fuck!) but had to drink it. Christ! It was the best wine I've ever tasted!
Cracky
Jack Russell

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Nov 2018, 20:55

ahahahaha

White wine is nice on a hot day, I even add ice. Nice with delicately flavored dishes.

A nice gutsy shiraz tho is what really hits the spot with me.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Cracky » 09 Nov 2018, 01:49

HBS Guy wrote:ahahahaha
White wine is nice on a hot day, I even add ice. Nice with delicately flavored dishes.

I reckon I can see a glass of the stuff with ice, yeah.

HBS Guy wrote:A nice gutsy shiraz tho is what really hits the spot with me.

I was bent on French wine for a long time. I tried to get on board with the stuff from Portugal but it never did it for me. Italian wine is good if you go for the pricey stuff otherwise, it's all plonk. American, South African, Australian? Nah. There is a variety of European and one or 2 Chile wines I can drink depending upon my mood but all in all it's Spanish wine that does it - particularly Baron de Ley. I'll bet if I were wealthy I could find unlimited beauties, but I'm not. Unfortunately, I'm off all alcohol until the surgeon puts this knee right and I can get off the pain-killing tablets. I've got a bottle of Baron de Ley on the shelf waiting to be consumed.
Cracky
Jack Russell

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Nov 2018, 07:42

I was off alcohol from 1 Feb to end May when I had the hip replacement operation. Managed it no problems.

Slightly more of a problem—the opiates they hand out WAY too freely. I had a little tussle with myself about taking another one tho I wasn’t in any great pain. Didn’t take one and never thought about taking them again.

Talked about it with Annie who was on long term opiate prescription, seems thirty tablets (of Endones in my case) brings you to the border of dependency. Counting the morphine injected into my spine, 4 tablets daily for 4 days plus 9 I had taken at home got me close to that number. Returned the 11 Endones I had left to the hospital pharmacy soon after.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Texan » 09 Nov 2018, 08:10

HBS Guy wrote:I was off alcohol from 1 Feb to end May when I had the hip replacement operation. Managed it no problems.

Slightly more of a problem—the opiates they hand out WAY too freely. I had a little tussle with myself about taking another one tho I wasn’t in any great pain. Didn’t take one and never thought about taking them again.

Talked about it with Annie who was on long term opiate prescription, seems thirty tablets (of Endones in my case) brings you to the border of dependency. Counting the morphine injected into my spine, 4 tablets daily for 4 days plus 9 I had taken at home got me close to that number. Returned the 11 Endones I had left to the hospital pharmacy soon after.

It took my mom almost a year to get off the pain meds after back surgery. She has never drank alcohol or had any kind of addictive leanings toward anything before.

I used to drink like a fish and act like an idiot long ago. I straightened up just before I met the lovely Mrs. Texan and stuck with it for 27 years. I still drink at home sometimes, but I never did around my boys while growing up. I felt I needed to be an example for them. I still don't drink if I'm driving or carrying a gun, which is almost always, so I only break out the Southern Comfort and pour it into a Coke about 3-4 times/year. One bottle usually lasts me about 2 years. I have no problem with people drinking alcohol, but I don't want to influence others poorly. When we go out with the neighbors, I'm the designated driver. It works for me.
Texan
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Nov 2018, 09:35

Yup, apart from one glass of wine or beer when out dining somewhere, I do my drinking at home. Too old to drink myself ratarsed tho I have had the odd beer breakfast when young and stupid.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 09 Nov 2018, 09:50

Texan wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:I was off alcohol from 1 Feb to end May when I had the hip replacement operation. Managed it no problems.

It took my mom almost a year to get off the pain meds after back surgery. She has never drank alcohol or had any kind of addictive leanings toward anything before.

I used to drink like a fish and act like an idiot long ago. I straightened up just before I met the lovely Mrs. Texan and stuck with it for 27 years. I still drink at home sometimes, but I never did around my boys while growing up. I felt I needed to be an example for them. I still don't drink if I'm driving or carrying a gun, which is almost always, so I only break out the Southern Comfort and pour it into a Coke about 3-4 times/year. One bottle usually lasts me about 2 years. I have no problem with people drinking alcohol, but I don't want to influence others poorly. When we go out with the neighbors, I'm the designated driver. It works for me.

Wow HBS, that is a scary thing.
I heard legal drugs kill more people than illegal drugs.

Good on you Texan, you are a better man than I am.
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Nov 2018, 10:06

I knew dependency could be an issue, was warned about it in the pre-admission lecture. (They give you the lecture about a month before the op or so it was with me. They then tell you—no alcohol for a month before the operation. Was not a problem.

I wrote a blog about the operation and before and after: http://polanimal.com.au/wp/2013/03/21/a-total-hip-replacement-operation/

I tweeted that blog quite a bit for a while, some replied they were going to have the same op and thanked me for the info. Hope it helped them.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Cracky » 09 Nov 2018, 15:56

I don’t take tablets gladly and I normally only use one during the year for particularly bad headaches so you can imagine how desperate I was to accept the prescription of 2 morphine tablets daily for the pain in my knee. But I might have been licking lollies for all the good they did and I suspected it was nothing more than a placebo. After about 2 months of those I went to another doctor who told me to get off the stuff immediately and he gave me Paracetamol and Pronoxen, taken eight in a day. These are wonderful and I’ll be on these till my surgery after the New Year. Meanwhile the bottle of Baron de Ley looks on broodingly. :mad
Cracky
Jack Russell

Postby Cracky » 09 Nov 2018, 16:00

Texan wrote:It took my mom almost a year to get off the pain meds after back surgery. She has never drank alcohol or had any kind of addictive leanings toward anything before.

Jesus!

Texan wrote:I used to drink like a fish and act like an idiot long ago. I straightened up just before I met the lovely Mrs. Texan and stuck with it for 27 years. I still drink at home sometimes, but I never did around my boys while growing up. I felt I needed to be an example for them. I still don't drink if I'm driving or carrying a gun, which is almost always, so I only break out the Southern Comfort and pour it into a Coke about 3-4 times/year. One bottle usually lasts me about 2 years. I have no problem with people drinking alcohol, but I don't want to influence others poorly. When we go out with the neighbors, I'm the designated driver. It works for me.

I'll bet your mother's condition had something to do with your "new" (sober-ish) outlook?
Cracky
Jack Russell

Postby Aussie » 09 Nov 2018, 17:29

Meanwhile the bottle of Baron de Ley looks on broodingly. :mad

Pills or no pills....I'd be knocking the top off that!
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby Cracky » 09 Nov 2018, 18:09

Aussie wrote:
Meanwhile the bottle of Baron de Ley looks on broodingly. :mad

Pills or no pills....I'd be knocking the top off that!

Don't entice me!
Cracky
Jack Russell

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Nov 2018, 18:34

Yes, don’t imperil the knee operation!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Cracky » 09 Nov 2018, 20:24

HBS Guy wrote:Yes, don’t imperil the knee operation!

Thank you.
Cracky
Jack Russell

Postby Texan » 10 Nov 2018, 08:07

Cracky wrote:
Texan wrote:It took my mom almost a year to get off the pain meds after back surgery. She has never drank alcohol or had any kind of addictive leanings toward anything before.

Jesus!

Texan wrote:I used to drink like a fish and act like an idiot long ago. I straightened up just before I met the lovely Mrs. Texan and stuck with it for 27 years. I still drink at home sometimes, but I never did around my boys while growing up. I felt I needed to be an example for them. I still don't drink if I'm driving or carrying a gun, which is almost always, so I only break out the Southern Comfort and pour it into a Coke about 3-4 times/year. One bottle usually lasts me about 2 years. I have no problem with people drinking alcohol, but I don't want to influence others poorly. When we go out with the neighbors, I'm the designated driver. It works for me.

I'll bet your mother's condition had something to do with your "new" (sober-ish) outlook?

She had her bottom 6 vertebrae straightened and she was 3 inches taller when she came out of surgery. They put her on a rotating frame and did surgery from the back and then rotated her over and operated from the front. She now has a titanium spine. It was pretty intense, and she is 72. She doesn't heal like she did when she was younger. She developed blood clots and had other rehab related issues. I don't think she is going to get her upper back done after that rehab. I don't think she could handle it.

I've been pretty sober for 28 years. I always acted like an idiot and made stupid decisions when I was drunk. I don't miss it.
Texan
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Nov 2018, 08:36

Been out a lot this week, haven’t had a chance to look for Deschutes beer but will look for it tomorrow and the Baron de Ley tomorrow.

I am pretty happy with Australian wine, we do make plenty of good wine here and SA has several classic wine areas. From North to a fair way south we have the Clare Valley—great white wines—the Barossa and its reds, Adelaide Hills also makes nice whites, Southern Vales and its offshoot at Langhorne Creek then way down in the south east is the Coonawarra region on terra rosa soil, incredibly refined yet gutsy reds, great whites.

My favorite winery is Saltrams in the Barossa. Open day two years ago (when I was in their No 1 Club) we did a vertical taste test of cabernet all the way bay to 1979. Bloody nice!

French wine may be better but only when you spend like $500 a bottle. Lots o vin du pays and vin ordinaire gets made there!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Cracky » 10 Nov 2018, 16:24

Texan wrote:She had her bottom 6 vertebrae straightened and she was 3 inches taller when she came out of surgery. They put her on a rotating frame and did surgery from the back and then rotated her over and operated from the front. She now has a titanium spine. It was pretty intense, and she is 72. She doesn't heal like she did when she was younger. She developed blood clots and had other rehab related issues. I don't think she is going to get her upper back done after that rehab. I don't think she could handle it.

Cripes, that's scary news. I'll be having knee surgery in January (so they tell me) and it'll be close to my 72nd. birthday. I wasn't too worried about it but I am now. :?

Texan wrote:I've been pretty sober for 28 years. I always acted like an idiot and made stupid decisions when I was drunk. I don't miss it.

Congratulations to you! That's a tough road I've heard. I've only had one close call with alcoholism. My best mate (back in the mid-70's) had a rough time with his divorce and complete separation from his two-year-old daughter so he was stumbling drunk every night of the week. Not long after I got divorced myself so I started sharing my grief with him, drunk as a skunk every night. But after only 2 weeks of it I could see where I was heading so I up'd and quit, as they say in your part of the world. My friend carried on drinking for years (getting worse and worse) until he finally found Jesus and a new woman who gave him 2 sons. Unfortunately, he didn't give up his heavy smoking habit and cancer took him last year.
Cracky
Jack Russell

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic