The 'quota' debate.

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

The 'quota' debate.

Postby Aussie » 16 Sep 2018, 18:27

I am on the fence on the matter, but of all the arguments I have ever seen against them, this one has to be the most inane.

exactly bo

do we have QUOTA SYSTEM FOR BRAIN SURGEONS>????.....not that I know of!

I WONdER WHY?.

Gee.....maybe the answer is that there are only so many seats available in Parliament? Farq me dead. And these people get to vote. I am not a fan of allowing political or in-general dick-heads a right to vote. I'd 'quota' that!

:grn
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Re: The 'quota' debate.

Postby pinkeye » 17 Sep 2018, 01:15

I think it has become necessary, and better options do not present.
The time for males to voluntarily share their , until recently held, political power has passed.

For the sake of the nation, we must get some fresh blood in government.

You can be sure that PM Morrison will say whatever he thinks people will buy.

Expect the incredible inertia that has mired down Australian politics since John Howard, to continue with this PM. He has referenced John Howard numerous times since becoming PM. ( A crafty bit of work...that) and he is clearly a disciple and follower of JH. :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG :OMG

JH has yet another incarnation..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jump :jump :bike :bike :bike
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby mothra » 17 Sep 2018, 10:29

pinkeye wrote:I think it has become necessary, and better options do not present.

I think that about sums it up perfectly. Well said.

I have strong reservations across the board about quotas but i think, at the end of the day, we need to be proactive about the many years of prejudice and lack of opportunity for diversity in our professional sectors.

As to the "argument" that was presented to you in your OP, Aussie, well, dumb found a new level. And it was already impressively low.
mothra
Duck

Postby pinkeye » 18 Sep 2018, 00:29

I guess they'll have to be dragged kicking and screaming to face reality.

The fact that they are utter fucking failures who hold power through :roll tradition and partisanship, and that their days are looking numbered.

Surely they must SEE we don't want this Bullshit they call a Government. I don't see anything from PM Scott Morrison that addresses the issues of bullying.
Just denial. IN FACT, I'd have to include the PM among the biggest BULLIES, ( before of course he got the numbers)
Now?? he just doesn't see it. I wonder why? Hmm?

And Dutton should be before the HIGH COURT before weeks end,, or PM Scott Morrison shows his true colours.
THEY MUST UNDERSTAND... we won't stand for any more of this .

POLITICS IN AUSTRALIA is …. No longer all about the old boys club, The ROT has set in.
Last edited by pinkeye on 19 Sep 2018, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 19 Sep 2018, 16:19

The rot has set in: lol :bike
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Postby pinkeye » 19 Sep 2018, 23:29

this is more than rot.

It is that awful toxic mould that can occur in unpleasant places.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 21 Sep 2018, 12:38

Liberal women should insist on quotas within the party, because they work

It is an historic moment for Liberal Party women. Individual complaints of sexist bullying invariably end with the lone complainant being isolated and getting crunched.

But since the Liberal leadership spill, several women have spoken out and two MPs, Julia Banks and Ann Sudmalis, have foreshadowed their exit from parliamentary politics over it. This post-#LibSpill moment holds immense promise — but only if the collective momentum is seized and built upon.

From Prime Minister Scott Morrison down, Liberal Party men are pushing back against women pressing for cultural change within the party.

They don't want to share power for ideological reasons: conservative men like women to know their place, and that place is not in the House of Representatives or the Senate. This ethos is intensifying as fringe and evangelical Christians make ever deeper inroads into Liberal Party branches and preselection processes.

Respected Liberal women like former Liberal Party vice-president Tricia Worth and former Liberal senator Sue Boyce have poured scorn on the internal party mechanisms proposed so far to deal with the problem.

They point out the implausibility, for example, of making a bullying complaint to Victorian Liberal Party president Michael Kroger who denies such bullying exists.

Liberal Party women face an immediate choice. They can be cowed by the "quota girl" sledge of hostile male colleagues, and other unsupportive comments by these men's female enablers such as NSW Liberal Senator Concetta Fierravanti-Wells.

Alternatively, Liberal women can organise to achieve structural change — the only kind that ever sticks — arguing that if it's good enough for "quota boys" like Senator Abetz and Michael McCormack, quotas are all right by them, too.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-21/liberal-party-women-quotas-scott-morrison-sexism/10289148
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Return to Politics