Most men in the US and Europe could be infertile by 2060

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Most men in the US and Europe could be infertile by 2060

Postby johnsmith » 12 Sep 2018, 15:55

Miranda wrote:Well done Smith! Because your progeny falls within a particular date range, you think that your children's children are safe, yes?

no, sensationalist opinion pieces that people post on forums typically have no bearing on whether or not I think my children are safe. Is that how you decide on your children safety? by overreacting to sensationalist articles?

Miranda wrote:What if, as Pinkeye postulates, that it is environmental issues as the underlying cause of the reduced sperm count and not a lucky birth date?

what if it's not? Will that then make your faux hysteria look any less ridiculous?
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

spamone: Animal

Postby johnsmith » 12 Sep 2018, 15:58

Aussie wrote:Just to show Mothra that when it comes to being an insufferable duck, I am equal opportunity.

nah, i seem to have gotten over my phobia. Whilst i still don't like them, pictures don't bother me anymore. I can even stand next to one now (at wildlife parks, etc) and it won't bother me. As long as I don't have to touch it. Used to be a time when I couldn't even got into the snake exhibits at zoo's etc.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby Sprintcyclist » 12 Sep 2018, 16:21

johnsmith wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Great post!

not particularly, especially when the story starts with 'Sperm count in men from North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand declined by 50-60% between 1973 and 2011'

given that my oldest was 2 at the end of that period, and my youngest wasn't born, it's not likely to be about them regardless of what Miranda says. :oops

gosh, that is a steep decline
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 12 Sep 2018, 16:24

Sprintcyclist wrote:gosh, that is a steep decline

i just follow the road as it is laid out before me.
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby Miranda » 12 Sep 2018, 17:18

johnsmith wrote:
Miranda wrote:Well done Smith! Because your progeny falls within a particular date range, you think that your children's children are safe, yes?

no, sensationalist opinion pieces that people post on forums typically have no bearing on whether or not I think my children are safe. Is that how you decide on your children safety? by overreacting to sensationalist articles?

Miranda wrote:What if, as Pinkeye postulates, that it is environmental issues as the underlying cause of the reduced sperm count and not a lucky birth date?

what if it's not? Will that then make your faux hysteria look any less ridiculous?

Ah! So it has nothing to do with the providence of your children's birth dates and everything to do with Mothra's allegedly sensationalist opinion piece; to wit I am, allegedly, expressing 'faux hysteria', yes?

The article comes from a reputable organization, which is the norm for Mothra. The article is evidence based. The info presented is well known by many.

Your just being a dipshit cause that's what you do best. :WTF
Miranda
Jack Russell

Postby mothra » 12 Sep 2018, 17:38

pinkeye wrote:re the topic?
Male sperm count has been in decline for some decades now at least. Not new News.
It is also across most species.. plus mutations resulting from degraded sperm are becoming more and more common, and YES .. some areas are worse than others .

It is obviously due to environmental degradation, caused by industrial pollution.

Too bad, so sad :roll

Xeno-oestrogen are a particular concern. Pop up in all sorts of things, from plastic to herbicide.

Phyto-oestrogen play a role also but significantly less, Men have, after all, been knocking back beer for centuries while still being able to knock up women and hops are highly phyto-oestrogenic.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 12 Sep 2018, 19:16

Miranda wrote:Ah! So it has nothing to do with the providence of your children's birth dates and everything to do with Mothra's allegedly sensationalist opinion piece;

for some stupid reason you seem to think I need to justify myself to you. I've bad news for you on that score buttercup

Miranda wrote:The article comes from a reputable organization, which is the norm for Mothra. The article is evidence based

the study may or may not be reputable, however you haven't been given enough of the facts to make that judgement one way or the other. To know that for sure you need to at least know how the study was performed, just wishing it is so doesn't prove anything. Although having said that I would tend to give the study the benefit of doubt since it is from a reputable university. All that is however irrelevant. The claim that it somehow proves most men will be infertile by 2060 is sensationalist garbage. Opinion designed to attract headlines. Unlike you, I have a lot more faith in mans ability to survive.

Miranda wrote:Your just being a dipshit cause that's what you do best

Only a true moron would think my first post on this thread was anything but an attempt at humour. You appear to be well qualified in the moron department.
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Sep 2018, 20:07

mothra: hops are highly phyto-oestrogenic.

So that is why those drinking far too much beer especially loooong sessions develop real–looking breasts. I didn’t realise it was the hops.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 12 Sep 2018, 22:22

HBS Guy wrote:mothra: hops are highly phyto-oestrogenic.

So that is why those drinking far too much beer especially loooong sessions develop real–looking breasts. I didn’t realise it was the hops.

Now you tell me
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby pinkeye » 13 Sep 2018, 00:34

well. allegedly smoking lots of dope also gives men breasts.

Ah Ha... :roll

But seriously, this IS an important issue. I'm not sure why JS objects so strongly to this information. Facts are facts, like it or not.

As for our off-spring.?? they can only face more and worse of same. How can it not be so?

More deformed children and still-births.. we reap what we sow.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 13 Sep 2018, 08:30

pinkeye wrote: I'm not sure why JS objects so strongly to this information.

i don't object to the information, nor do I think the study is crap. i just think the 'most men infertile by 2060' is sensationalist crap. I seriously doubt most men will be infertile by 2060, no matter what the headline says.
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby pinkeye » 13 Sep 2018, 22:45

so you reject the information, as is your right.

but it isn't new News.... scientists have been saying this for at least 30 years. I was an adult back then, and thought the information most concerning.
But nobody gave a stuff about it. Like so much science it was basically ignored.

Lets face it people, there is too much information out there for any human agency to pull it all together.

If there is ONE positive use for AI ? it would be to create the Ultimate Library....

(at least it'd keep them busy for a little while)
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Sprintcyclist » 13 Sep 2018, 23:49

pinkeye wrote:so you reject the information, as is your right.

but it isn't new News.... scientists have been saying this for at least 30 years. I was an adult back then, and thought the information most concerning.
But nobody gave a stuff about it. Like so much science it was basically ignored.

Lets face it people, there is too much information out there for any human agency to pull it all together.

If there is ONE positive use for AI ? it would be to create the Ultimate Library....

(at least it'd keep them busy for a little while)

yes, I have read this sort of news for well over 25 years
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 14 Sep 2018, 08:29

pinkeye wrote:so you reject the information, as is your right.

no, i reject the writers predictions.
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Sep 2018, 11:29

Just imagine it is right==> end of the world! :OMG
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 14 Sep 2018, 12:35

HBS Guy wrote:Just imagine it is right==> end of the world! :OMG

Exactly ...you think humans might do something about that before it got to that stage?
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Sep 2018, 13:01

Remove all plastics from everywhere?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 14 Sep 2018, 13:06

HBS Guy wrote:Remove all plastics from everywhere?

not so sure it's all about plastics
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby pinkeye » 14 Sep 2018, 23:39

No you're not. Plastics (?) that shit comes LATER. What we're facing now is decades and decades of industrial chemical and plastics pollution.

You could employ all the unemployed people in the world, right now, .. ( or press them into slavery) to recycle, collect, dredge up as much as is humanly possible, over generations, and we will never be able to turn the tide of filth and foulness. Well, you get the idea. :roll

Those of you who have visited widely in the world, and seen how many many people are forced to live in absolute ghettos ..You ever wanted to live there.?

Happy to come home.? Hrmph :roll :jump

Nature affects ALL of us. We live on this EARTH. Some of us may never really see the natural world, except from behind glass. The days are made up of cityscapes, and to and fro-ing... do you smell the wind?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Previous

Return to Off Topic