Electric Vehicles this week

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Re: Electric Vehicles this week

Postby DonDeeHippy » 16 Jan 2020, 15:56

Dax wrote:As usual, you didn't read my post regarding the satellite system and autonomy or is your programming so strong, you refuse to see reality. Space X who I admire for the way they have gone about entering space by recovering and re-using the rockets, is just contributing to the problem with their thousand so satellites. In my short experience in being a passenger in a model S in the EU, is they do you use GPS and the internet satellite system, it's what they rely upon to get around the country and update their software.

Yes Tesla car's do send information back to base to help autonomy get better, they don't use satellites though it's just plain Wi Fi,,, for now anyway until Space x gets the satellites up....
This is only until the software gets good enough to be autonomous once it is good enough it wont need any internet connection or GPS just it's onboard computer and a download of a map where it wants to go :)

How does Autopilot work?
Built on a deep neural network, Autopilot uses cameras, ultrasonic sensors and radar to see and sense the environment around the car. This robust sensor and camera suite provides drivers with an awareness of their surroundings that a driver alone would not otherwise have. A powerful onboard computer processes these inputs in a matter of milliseconds to help make your driving safer and less stressful.

The powerful onboard computer is also doubled so if one fails the other will take over, if the worse case happens and GPS goes down and both computers fail, the Tesla's are hardwired to pull over safely and allow manual take over....
You only need a pre downloaded map and no GPS or Satellites for it to work..... However with the Ten's of thousands of Space X satellites that are going to be in the sky it shouldn't be a problem even if GPS fails as triangulating shouldn't be hard... :)
The reality is space is huge.. not only is it wide it is deep.... Hundreds of Kilometres deep and hundreds of thousands of Kilometres wide, At the Moment there is not need for Satellites to be with 100 kilometres of each other, if by some miracle 2 happen to crash into each other how will that make a spontaneous effect Dax (see i did read your post) :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby DonDeeHippy » 17 Jan 2020, 08:31

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/01/16/6- ... -per-mile/

6.4× More Accidents In Average US Car Than In Tesla With Tesla Autopilot On (Per Mile)

On its website, Tesla states that, “In the 4th quarter, we have registered one accident for every 3.07 million miles driven in which the drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot but with our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 2.10 million miles driven. For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 1.63 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States, there is an automobile accident crash every 479,000 miles.”

Tesla's Navigation systems are also doubled up so if one fails the other will take over and let the customer know to fix their car..
If my some majic both computer systems fail the Tesla is hard wired to slow down and pull over... Although as the driver is supposed to still be in complete control of the car this wont really be a issue until the Tesla's go Autonomous...

Now that Tesla have almost 1,000,000 cars on the road and they all communicate with the base, there are very interesting stats on how safe this tech is :)

Even without Autopilot and just the active features the Tesla are 4 times less likely to crash....Every car manufactured should be hauled over the coals for not doing the same thing with their vehicals….

1200 deaths a year from car accidents in Australia that's almost 4 deaths a day...... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Jan 2020, 08:50

Artifical intelligence is just about here commercially. That will boost the safety of autonomous driving.

There is one problem: apparently the radar can’t distinguish between a pancake and a stationery truck directly in front of the Tesla (or other radar equipped vehicle. I watch YouTubes by a Swedish trucker who drives a Volvo with radar warning of obstacles and one time a flat balloon on the road triggered the radar warning/braking.)

I installed a dashcam on my Mazda and it warns me if I am getting close to or across lane markings and if I am getting closer to the car in front: gets to be a bit of a pain in busy traffic but it has encouraged me to concentrate on keeping a suitable space behind the vehicle in front,
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 17 Jan 2020, 08:57

HBS Guy wrote:Artifical intelligence is just about here commercially. That will boost the safety of autonomous driving.

There is one problem: apparently the radar can’t distinguish between a pancake and a stationery truck directly in front of the Tesla (or other radar equipped vehicle. I watch YouTubes by a Swedish trucker who drives a Volvo with radar warning of obstacles and one time a flat balloon on the road triggered the radar warning/braking.)

I installed a dashcam on my Mazda and it warns me if I am getting close to or across lane markings and if I am getting closer to the car in front: gets to be a bit of a pain in busy traffic but it has encouraged me to concentrate on keeping a suitable space behind the vehicle in front,

yes but it's 8 camera's and 4 ultra sound units can :)
They work in Unison

The latest update can now distinguish construction sites, flagging and Witches hats and temporary posts...The neural network just keeps getting better at recognising objects and deciding what to do when it encounters them :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Jan 2020, 11:20

Good to hear.

I would use the autonomous to sit back and eat and/or drink something but never take eyes of the road for more than a second. Wonder how it would have coped with the lady cop directing us to a long detour like happened on the way back last Saturday? Driver input required I’d say :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Previous

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market