Electric Vehicles this week

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Re: Electric Vehicles this week

Postby Bongalong » 19 Aug 2019, 19:07

It's just an infrastructure problem at the moment.....
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby DonDeeHippy » 20 Aug 2019, 04:49

Dax wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Dax wrote:This is an interesting article with a graph for many Ev's claimed range and the actual range done by this test. it's notable they all seem to claim longer ranges then they can actually accomplish, the closest to their claim is the Kona. As I have one, they may be driving it like an ICE car, or are terrible drivers. My Kona has exceeded the quoted and most test ranges, just about all Kona users claim they go as far or if it further than Hyundai claims. Telsa seems to be the opposite, with everyone I've talked to saying they can't get anywhere near the range Tesla claims in Aus. From my understanding, this could be related to how regen braking works in each brand. Have been told Tesla regen braking is just crap and now the base model 3 in Aus will be well over $70000 and still have way less range than a Kona.

"How far can Tesla's Model 3 really go? On-road measurements reveal the 'affordable' electric car falls short of its claimed range by 90 MILES"
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/ ... aimed.html

Those are government tests, not done by the manufactures it seems the USA government standards are the closest to real life. I noticed a Hyundai was the worse there with 33% out, if it was manufactures that give out the amounts Hyundai would be the biggest cheaters...good thing it isn’t, I noticed their testing they just do a few laps and work out the range. They didn’t actually drive the vehicles down to say 5% and see what they could do. Not really a good test...
I notice the Tesla was 196 miles and the Kona was 259 that’s about 30% more range and that’s how much bigger the kona battery is to the Tesla :purple

I'm not a hyundai fan, nor a kona fan. It just happens to be the best EV on the market at this time. Ev's cheaper than the Kona, have much less range for their price and the kona has more range than much dearer Ev's. including the model 3. There are very few Ev's that can claim the same value for money, a Kona does at this time. You could probably bet within a couple of years as the industry matures and technology catches up, current tesla and kona will be classed as prehistoric and 1000klm ranges on highway and off road Ev's. Shorter ranges will be the norm for urban transport.

Yes there would be something wrong with the kona if it had less range than the cheep Tesla 3, it’s a smaller lighter car with a bigger battery. :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 20 Aug 2019, 06:04

DonDeeHippy wrote:Yes there would be something wrong with the kona if it had less range than the cheep Tesla 3, it’s a smaller lighter car with a bigger battery. :purple

And much cheaper with just about the same amount of room inside from what I've read and seen, all round a much better vehicle for price and range.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 21 Aug 2019, 04:39

Dax wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:Yes there would be something wrong with the kona if it had less range than the cheep Tesla 3, it’s a smaller lighter car with a bigger battery. :purple

And much cheaper with just about the same amount of room inside from what I've read and seen, all round a much better vehicle for price and range.

What’s Hyundai going to do when it genesis brand releases vehicals, luxury cars cost more no?
As much as I like the kona, the fact is you can buy the petrol version of the car for half price, where the petrol versions of the competitors of the model 3 cars are the same price.... :thumb :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 21 Aug 2019, 06:31

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Dax wrote:

What’s Hyundai going to do when it genesis brand releases vehicals, luxury cars cost more no?
As much as I like the kona, the fact is you can buy the petrol version of the car for half price, where the petrol versions of the competitors of the model 3 cars are the same price.... :thumb :purple

What a complete load of garbage, an Ev will recoup it's price by fuel and maintenance savings over a few years, so the cost effectiveness of an Ev over a similar priced ICE car, levels out and becomes irrelevant. Running and maintenance costs as well as longevity of today's batteries far outweighs the difference in original cost and your tesla is no different, just much more expensive that a kona with less range for the relatively same size car and that goes for all EV's at the moment.

You can bet the Kona will come down in price as other EVs come on the market and they sell more, that's just the economies of scale working. The tesla goes up in price constantly even though production has increased dramatically, and they are still having lots of problems. I put that down to them being so much more computerised than the kona and others, which makes them more vulnerable to system failures, just like this one below and the Kona doesn't have those problems as it's an ICE car converted to an EV and not a computerised Ai EV.

"A Tesla Model X was caught on camera crashing into several parked cars as the driver attempted to park the hi-tech car on a street in Puerto Rico.

It's not clear exactly what caused the car to spin out of control, but the accident was captured on surveillance cameras from a number of angles.

All seems to be well as the driver is at first spotted pulling into a parking space, but the Tesla then spins out of control."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... again.html
Dax
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 22 Aug 2019, 04:49

Dax wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Dax wrote:

What a complete load of garbage, an Ev will recoup it's price by fuel and maintenance savings over a few years, so the cost effectiveness of an Ev over a similar priced ICE car, levels out and becomes irrelevant. Running and maintenance costs as well as longevity of today's batteries far outweighs the difference in original cost and your tesla is no different, just much more expensive that a kona with less range for the relatively same size car and that goes for all EV's at the moment.

You can bet the Kona will come down in price as other EVs come on the market and they sell more, that's just the economies of scale working. The tesla goes up in price constantly even though production has increased dramatically, and they are still having lots of problems. I put that down to them being so much more computerised than the kona and others, which makes them more vulnerable to system failures, just like this one below and the Kona doesn't have those problems as it's an ICE car converted to an EV and not a computerised Ai EV.

"A Tesla Model X was caught on camera crashing into several parked cars as the driver attempted to park the hi-tech car on a street in Puerto Rico.

It's not clear exactly what caused the car to spin out of control, but the accident was captured on surveillance cameras a number of angles.

All seems to be well as the driver is at first spotted pulling into a parking space, but the Tesla then spins out of control."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... again.html

The direct petrol competitor to the kona is a petrol kona and they cost half the price, during warranty the servicing price is the same so you need to recoup $30,000 in cost difference between cost of fuel and electricity, you would need to travel about 500,000 kms to equal cost.....I’m not saying the kona is a bad car but it is double the cost of it’s petrol counterparts...
As the kona is only been around a year hopefully the resale value will be good and recoup a bit on that, no crystal balls though to know..
Yes yes someone panicked and hit the gas pedal instead of the break, happens to thousands of car everyday, boy Dax I can’t believe you fall for that sort of sensationalism, ohh on the same note any more Konas blow up in garages..
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Sep 2019, 05:21

Don, Squire—any more news on EVs???
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 04 Sep 2019, 06:44

HBS Guy wrote:Don, Squire—any more news on EVs???

Lol, they fuckin rock bro!!!!! :bike :bike :bike
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Sep 2019, 09:05

T’anks fo’ that, Bongy. I was hoping for something a little bit more concrete than that!

I DO agree they rock, tho.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 04 Sep 2019, 14:34

HBS Guy wrote:T’anks fo’ that, Bongy. I was hoping for something a little bit more concrete than that!

I DO agree they rock, tho.

:bike :yak yak :yak yak :yak yak :yak yak :yak yak :yak yak :yak yak :yak yak :yak yak :rain :bgrin :bgrin :beer :bgrin :bgrin :beer :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 06 Sep 2019, 04:39

It’s been a bit quit, Porsche has almost realesed a 4 door sedan EV that looks pretty good, very expensive though and the first Tesla 3 have been delivered into australia :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 14 Sep 2019, 08:21

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/09/13/te ... t-compete/

Tesla just recently introduced the Model 3 to Australia, on the first of September. How does the Model 3 compete in Australia? Media outlets in Australia are already reporting sales in the thousands, but initial sales don’t necessarily signify competitiveness. Or do they?

The Driven, an Australian news and electric vehicle analysis website, published an article that leaned into the above question. The article, “Model 3 sales in Australia already in ‘thousands’, tipping scale of adoption,” gives us a quick insight into how starved the market was for Tesla in Australia. Referring to an article from TechAU, Jason Cartwright, creator of TechAU, writes in his article that, “I can confirm that Tesla has received ‘thousands of orders’ and the delivery team is trying desperately to get those orders to customers. Some would say, they’re in delivery hell.” The article headline noted that the Model 3 quickly became the top selling electric vehicle in the country.

Mercedes-Benz dropped 13.1%, BMW dropped 2.4%, Audi dropped 11.8%, Land Rover took the largest drop among the four — 23.1%. Among other brands that took drops in sales were Porsche (-12.8%), Mini (-3.3%), Infiniti (-16.4%), Maserati (-13.2%), and Bentley (-5%). Just as the Model 3 is coming to Australia, competing luxury brands are seeing hard falls. Related? It’s too difficult to say at this point, but let’s look at how the Model 3 competes against some of the top models from those automakers.
The Model 3 is essentially the same price as “competing” premium-class cars. However, fuel (electricity) and operational costs will be much lower for the Tesla. So, in essence, the Model 3 is much more competitive, and by many important measures it’s also an objectively better car than any of its gas or diesel competitors. Just looking at upfront prices

Audi A4 — $61,509
Mercedes C-Class — $63,400
Tesla Model 3 — $67,900
BMW 320d — $67,900
BMW 330i — $70,900

We’ll come back to more total cost of ownership articles, but it’s clear up front that similar pricing at this stage will leave the Model 3 as a much lower cost vehicle over a few years or more in most normal situations. Therefore, Model 3 demand should be quite high

Not only is the Model 3 price competitive with other cars in its class, and likely cost-competitive with much more mainstream cars like the Mazda 3 and Toyota Corolla on a total cost of ownership basis, but it’s basically the safest car on the market (based on US and European test results), it’s the highest tech car on the market (aside from the other two Tesla models), it’s the quickest car on the market.

Tesla Model 3 Performance — 3.4 seconds
Mercedes-Benz C63S — 4.1 seconds
BMW M2 Competition — 4.2 seconds
Tesla Model 3 Long Range — 4.6 seconds
Mercedes-Benz C43 — 4.7 seconds
Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus — 5.6 seconds
Audi A4 45 TFSI quattro — 5.8 seconds
BMW 330i — 5.8 seconds
Mercedes-Benz C300 — 5.9 seconds
BMW 320d Coupe — 6.8 seconds

SO the Tesla Model 3 is selling well in Australia and about the same price as its competitors, one day when the second hand market takes affect I might afford one, unless Tesla make their cars Autonomous then the second hand ones will get very expensive as all the Tesla's that have been sold in Australia have to hardware for it, only waiting for the software to catch up….. :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby DonDeeHippy » 05 Oct 2019, 09:01

https://thedriven.io/2019/10/03/austral ... takes-off/

Sales of new vehicles in Australia slumped sharply again in September, down 6.9 per cent for the 18th consecutive monthly fall, and despite a rise in electric vehicle and hybrid sales and a burst of activity from Tesla’s newly released Model 3.

The Federated Chamber of Automotive Industries, the peak body for the automotive industry in Australia, says the total September sales of 88,181 new vehicle sales was down 6.9 per cent on the same month last year, and the year-to-date total of 811,464 vehicles represents a fall of 7.9 per cent.

As we wrote earlier this week, it is thought that up to 1,500 Model 3s were delivered in September, which would rank it close to the top five passenger vehicles for the month, with the Hyundai i30 topping that list at 2,447, followed by the Toyota Corolla and Kia Cerato and the Mazda 3.
It would also mean that Tesla would be placed number 15 in terms of total sales by brand for the month, and the Model 3 would have sold more than its direct fossil fuel competitors combined – BMW, Mercedes and Audi.

https://insideevs.com/news/374257/1000- ... september/

"The burst of activity that saw even Tesla chair Robyn Denholm helping out with Model 3 deliveries in Sydney last week meant that more than 200 of the electric vehicles were delivered a day in the last few days of the month.
Social media has been full of posts from admiring customers quoting Tesla delivery staff about the pace of deliveries, from up to 70 a day in Brisbane, 400 in five days in Sydney, and similar numbers in Melbourne over the long weekend."

Tesla Sales are going through the roof worldwide, best selling cars (including petrol and diesel cars) in the Netherlands and Norway, best selling electric cars worldwide, They are accepting last orders from China for their USA made cars now and by next month will be selling china Made electric cars from their new factory (china is biggest market for electric vehicles).
Tesla just had it's biggest quarter of 97,000 cars delivered and 110,000 orders so the backlog is increasing for them. :purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Oct 2019, 14:15

Excellent! I don’t care if Tesla or other EV maker wins out but it is great to see the interest in EVs. Now to find less polluting materials for the batteries!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 06 Oct 2019, 05:15

HBS Guy wrote:Excellent! I don’t care if Tesla or other EV maker wins out but it is great to see the interest in EVs. Now to find less polluting materials for the batteries!

lithium batteries are considered non toxic, some parts of the electrodes have rare metals like cobalt, but manufacturers are working on ways to not use that as well, Most old car batteries can be used for home storage after they are no longer good for cars, Nissan and bmw and merc do this, every Tesla that crashes has it's drivetrain and batteries reused in conversions of old cars. The car companies are setting up pretty good recycling centers as well...

A few articals about recycling Tesla's if your interested....
https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/blog/mythbu ... edirect=no
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/06/07/ye ... he-future/

:purple
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Oct 2019, 14:08

Will look at that later. Good to see the recycling happening!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Previous

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market