Electric Vehicals this week

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Re: Electric Vehicals this week

Postby Bongalong » 18 Dec 2018, 14:32

"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby Sprintcyclist » 18 Dec 2018, 14:59

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:nissan are releasing an electric van.
you can hire electric motor homes in NZ

How would an electric motor home go ?
could have a motor on each wheel, so it is a 4WD when required.

seams the biggest problem with vans is the aerodynamics, they use about double the power than the sedans, and so far they put in fairly small batteries for some reason, Tesla put up to a 100kwh battery and the biggest van battery is about a 40 or 50 KWH one so only about 150km's of range, that's empty, as a campervan the range would be worse,
I guess if u r like me and only like to drive a hour or 2 while exploring they would be great...... :purple

yes, that was my thoughts.

Still, suppose we have a breakthrough in solar cells and they are now 60% efficient instead of 6% .......

solar panels on the market r about 15-17% there r ones on the horizon that should beat the 20% mark in a few years :)

I don't like the idea of lots of solar panels on a van or a campervan though , as everytime we camp we find shade and would be a bit useless for us, might get some charging driving along , I use a portable solar panel with lots of lead and follow the sun :)

:purple

Good points about camping in the shade while charging batteries.
Ah, someone told me solar panels were 6% efficient, maybe they said 16
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 01 Jan 2019, 13:49

Sprintcyclist wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:

seams the biggest problem with vans is the aerodynamics, they use about double the power than the sedans, and so far they put in fairly small batteries for some reason, Tesla put up to a 100kwh battery and the biggest van battery is about a 40 or 50 KWH one so only about 150km's of range, that's empty, as a campervan the range would be worse,
I guess if u r like me and only like to drive a hour or 2 while exploring they would be great...... :purple

Still, suppose we have a breakthrough in solar cells and they are now 60% efficient instead of 6% .......

solar panels on the market r about 15-17% there r ones on the horizon that should beat the 20% mark in a few years :)

I don't like the idea of lots of solar panels on a van or a campervan though , as everytime we camp we find shade and would be a bit useless for us, might get some charging driving along , I use a portable solar panel with lots of lead and follow the sun :)

It varies wildly: it's a get what you pay for kind of thing...
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 01 Jan 2019, 14:26

Bongalong wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:

It varies wildly: it's a get what you pay for kind of thing...

If you use an mppt controller, wire your panels in series, you can get good charge in the shade and most panels are between 18-19% efficient. The solar panels on my bus act like a second roof in summer, which stops heat getting on the roof and also allows air flow for the panels.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 03 Mar 2019, 05:38

https://insideevs.com/tesla-base-model-3-price/

We are incredibly excited to announce that the standard Model 3, with 220 miles of range, a top speed of 130mph and 0-60mph acceleration of 5.6 seconds is now available at $35,000! Although lower in cost, it is built to achieve the same perfect 5-star safety rating as the longer-ranged version, which has the lowest probability of injury of any car ever tested by the U.S. Government.
In addition, we are introducing the Model 3 Standard Range Plus, which offers 240 miles of range, a top speed of 140mph, 0-60mph acceleration of just 5.3 seconds and most premium interior features at $37,000 before incentives. For 6% more money, you get 9% more range, more power, and an upgraded interior.
To achieve these prices while remaining financially sustainable, Tesla is shifting sales worldwide to online only.
Tesla had promised a US $35,000 model3 and said when they where mass producing enough of them , they would release it. Now they have and with Government incentives in USA it will lower the price more , Tesla still have 400,000 pre registrations for the Model 3 (with a $1000 deposit) and now it looks like they will start to fill those registrations
This is huge news for the West and making a really good cheep Electric car will be a game changer :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby johnsmith » 03 Mar 2019, 08:46

DonDeeHippy wrote:https://insideevs.com/tesla-base-model-3-price/

We are incredibly excited to announce that the standard Model 3, with 220 miles of range, a top speed of 130mph and 0-60mph acceleration of 5.6 seconds is now available at $35,000! Although lower in cost, it is built to achieve the same perfect 5-star safety rating as the longer-ranged version, which has the lowest probability of injury of any car ever tested by the U.S. Government.
In addition, we are introducing the Model 3 Standard Range Plus, which offers 240 miles of range, a top speed of 140mph, 0-60mph acceleration of just 5.3 seconds and most premium interior features at $37,000 before incentives. For 6% more money, you get 9% more range, more power, and an upgraded interior.
To achieve these prices while remaining financially sustainable, Tesla is shifting sales worldwide to online only.
Tesla had promised a US $35,000 model3 and said when they where mass producing enough of them , they would release it. Now they have and with Government incentives in USA it will lower the price more , Tesla still have 400,000 pre registrations for the Model 3 (with a $1000 deposit) and now it looks like they will start to fill those registrations
This is huge news for the West and making a really good cheep Electric car will be a game changer :purple

An all electric car that available to everyone. That'll be the game changer the market has been waiting for. :thumb
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby DonDeeHippy » 03 Mar 2019, 09:59

johnsmith wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:https://insideevs.com/tesla-base-model-3-price/

An all electric car that available to everyone. That'll be the game changer the market has been waiting for. :thumb

yup id say in a year they will start making right hand drive ones and start seeing in Australia :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 23 Mar 2019, 06:14

Tesla is now the top seller IN North America and Europe and Australia, not sure about Africa and South America , hard to find data.... Tesla is building a factory in China (the biggest seller of EV's) and is supposed to be finished by the end of the year... Next year is might have the best selling cars in every Continent…... ;)
:purple :purple :purple
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Mar 2019, 11:06

Go Tesla!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 24 Mar 2019, 08:33

DonDeeHippy wrote:Tesla is now the top seller IN North America and Europe and Australia, not sure about Africa and South America , hard to find data.... Tesla is building a factory in China (the biggest seller of EV's) and is supposed to be finished by the end of the year... Next year is might have the best selling cars in every Continent…... ;)

Next year there will be many more electric vehicles available and many much cheaper than tesla. There are at least 10 manufacturers aiming to release new electric cars and SUV's this year and more next year. The ones that provide low cost vehicles are the ones that will take the market, rather than the expensive autonomous and bells and whistles ones. Wait until the $10000 or less urban vehicles come on the market, then we will see a real switch to electric.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 24 Mar 2019, 09:42

Dax wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:Tesla is now the top seller IN North America and Europe and Australia, not sure about Africa and South America , hard to find data.... Tesla is building a factory in China (the biggest seller of EV's) and is supposed to be finished by the end of the year... Next year is might have the best selling cars in every Continent…... ;)

Next year there will be many more electric vehicles available and many much cheaper than tesla. There are at least 10 manufacturers aiming to release new electric cars and SUV's this year and more next year. The ones that provide low cost vehicles are the ones that will take the market, rather than the expensive autonomous and bells and whistles ones. Wait until the $10000 or less urban vehicles come on the market, then we will see a real switch to electric.

well actually Tesla are the cheapest EV's for range , yes there will be low range electric cars (100-150km range) . None will be cheaper for the 300-400km range though, Tesla earlier this month released their $35000 dollar car with over 400km's of range and they are selling like hotcakes.... Next year will be no competition for Tesla maybe the year after that... The other manufactures are having a terrible time trying to source batteries and its expected to take 2 years for the battery manufactures to catch up to demand..... Tesla make their own and built the biggest factory in the world to build them....
Hyundai is about the only other cheaper good car and they just cant make the batteries for them though.
So unless you only need a car that can go 50-75 km's from your house Tesla are the best option and will be for a few more years.
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Mar 2019, 11:38

Yeah, lots of the announcements by other car makers re their electric cars are strictly vaporware. I would love to see some competition for Tesla!

I would also like to see much more of a move to self driving cars—yes, I am aware some fatalities with cars on autonomous drive—because finally the horrific road toll will go down.

I watch a few dash cam channels and the number of stupid, slow, roadhogs, idiots texting as they drive etc etc has turned my hair white! FFS cutting across 4 lanes of motorway/freeway traffic to get to an exit—what is that about?

I use my Tomtom to be sure to be in the right lane in good time and cruise control to stay 1Kmh under the speed limit. As more satnavs are in use cops will once again have to patrol the roads: the Tomtom warns me of redlight and some speed cameras so fixed cameras will catch fewer and fewer. Good! A visible Police presence on the roads will stop a lot of bad road behavior (and calm down road rage maybe.)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 24 Mar 2019, 12:38

yup autonomous driving only has to be better than our worse drivers
better than someone late for work and 10 mins late and can only get to work on time if they drive like the devils is behind them
better than someone tired after not sleeping for 24 hours or working in the sun for 12 hours
better than someone Texting or doing a crossword or talking on the phone
better than young P platers and middle ages salespeople that think they own the road...
better than Tail gaters (a third of accidents in AUs happen because the car behind is too close)

1200 deaths a year, almost 4 deaths a day and most could be stopped with just minimal driving aids :)
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Mar 2019, 13:59

Bongalong—guest posting is not there to allow you to circumvent a ban, OK? :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Guest » 24 Mar 2019, 14:05

DonDeeHippy wrote:yup autonomous driving only has to be better than our worse drivers
better than someone late for work and 10 mins late and can only get to work on time if they drive like the devils is behind them
better than someone tired after not sleeping for 24 hours or working in the sun for 12 hours
better than someone Texting or doing a crossword or talking on the phone
better than young P platers and middle ages salespeople that think they own the road...
better than Tail gaters (a third of accidents in AUs happen because the car behind is too close)

1200 deaths a year, almost 4 deaths a day and most could be stopped with just minimal driving aids :)

No, I don't agree.

Then again you have a few good examples....

:roll

PS: WHY THE BUGGER NOT? :beer

Postby Dax » 25 Mar 2019, 06:32

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Dax wrote:

well actually Tesla are the cheapest EV's for range , yes there will be low range electric cars (100-150km range) . None will be cheaper for the 300-400km range though, Tesla earlier this month released their $35000 dollar car with over 400km's of range and they are selling like hotcakes.... Next year will be no competition for Tesla maybe the year after that... The other manufactures are having a terrible time trying to source batteries and its expected to take 2 years for the battery manufactures to catch up to demand..... Tesla make their own and built the biggest factory in the world to build them....
Hyundai is about the only other cheaper good car and they just cant make the batteries for them though.
So unless you only need a car that can go 50-75 km's from your house Tesla are the best option and will be for a few more years.

You need to keep up with what is actually happening in the EV world, this is just one of the Aus manufacturers at the forefront of EV energy storage manufactures.

http://www.avass.com.au/avass-products

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whGerngnjXM

Autonomous vehicles will fail in the end, they are already discovering that in the aviation and heavy rail industry and it will be the same with private and public transport. Technology is more fallible than automation and human action, in the end we will have backup systems to cover human mistakes and full automation will be restricted to certain areas where technological failures won't cause human deaths.

To fully automate transport, you'd have to separate heavy transport from private and public transport, then you can avoid most crashes and transport disasters.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby Bozzza » 25 Mar 2019, 15:31

There is certainly much to separate in order to make simple algorithms socially acceptable.... otherwise there is no point !! It's not all software and hardware.......... context matters from inception!

You need a plan... that takes time to talk to the involved stakeholders and indeed figure who they are... this is big scale change we're talking about and if you don't take the time to talk about what's needed from those using the system then there will just be continuous patching up!

:OMG
Bozzza

Postby DonDeeHippy » 26 Mar 2019, 05:29

http://evtalk.com.au/
there Dax this site isn't bad for Australian EV news...…. :purple
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby johnsmith » 31 Mar 2019, 09:21

Australia's first manufactured wholly electric car is about to be launched ..coming in at about $40k

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-31/tesla-australias-first-electric-car-queensland/10944402

it's a pity this useless govt. doesn't get on board and provide assistance in some way shape or form.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby DonDeeHippy » 31 Mar 2019, 12:32

https://www.ace-ev.com.au/ace-cargo/
looks to have a range of 150-200km's , it would almost work for me as I need to travel 180km every week to get to work.... not a bad looking little car hope they do well :purple
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby Sprintcyclist » 31 Mar 2019, 12:51

DonDeeHippy wrote:https://www.ace-ev.com.au/ace-cargo/
looks to have a range of 150-200km's , it would almost work for me as I need to travel 180km every week to get to work.... not a bad looking little car hope they do well :purple

Looks really good. Give it a charge on wednesday night.

............. Key benefits
Australian made electric commercial vehicle. Drive range on one charge 150 – 200km at partial load . Lower fleet greenhouse emissions by over 70%*
Home charging period – maximum 8 hours. Lower running costs by up to 85%* .0-50km/h acceleration in under 7sec
Maximum speed 100km/h .Maximum pay load 500kg ..................

.......... * Electric at $1.80 / 50km vs petrol average of $9 / 50km. Source www.fleetcare.com.au. .......

Might be a bit slow on acceleration, prob be ok in traffic, in a few years some will have a better acceleration.
Will have no or low service costs.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Mar 2019, 13:30

Electric vehicles have lightning acceleration. That chews up charge, of course.

180Km be OK for me in Adelaide but in Tassie I fear not enough—have to travel for all but the most minor things: could likely manage but have to make sure it always starts with ≥95% charge.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 31 Mar 2019, 16:10

HBS Guy wrote:Electric vehicles have lightning acceleration. That chews up charge, of course.

180Km be OK for me in Adelaide but in Tassie I fear not enough—have to travel for all but the most minor things: could likely manage but have to make sure it always starts with ≥95% charge.

:hlo Also, hills! Plenty of constant terrain to cope with: that has to chew the juice so to speak!!

:Hi

Bet, yeh: saying all that it presents the most excellent of excellent challenges--> WOULD ELECTRIC CARS COPE IN TYPICAL RURAL TASSIE?
:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :scare :PC :PC :PC :PC :PC :c
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 31 Mar 2019, 16:11

HBS Guy wrote:Electric vehicles have lightning acceleration. That chews up charge, of course.

...also can the lightning acceleration be dialled back to deliver better battery performance ??
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 31 Mar 2019, 16:55

Sprintcyclist wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:https://www.ace-ev.com.au/ace-cargo/

Looks really good. Give it a charge on wednesday night.

............. Key benefits
Australian made electric commercial vehicle. Drive range on one charge 150 – 200km at partial load . Lower fleet greenhouse emissions by over 70%*
Home charging period – maximum 8 hours. Lower running costs by up to 85%* .0-50km/h acceleration in under 7sec
Maximum speed 100km/h .Maximum pay load 500kg ..................

.......... * Electric at $1.80 / 50km vs petrol average of $9 / 50km. Source http://www.fleetcare.com.au. .......

Seven seconds for the quarter mile is way faster than your average car today. This is not the first Aus electric vehicle, there are a number of manufacturers building and running them, the link I posted earlier proves that and they have been on sale for at least a year.

Might be a bit slow on acceleration, prob be ok in traffic, in a few years some will have a better acceleration.
Will have no or low service costs.
Dax
Cheetah

PreviousNext

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market