Electric Vehicals this week

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Re: Electric Vehicals this week

Postby Bongalong » 18 Dec 2018, 15:32

Free what?
Bongalong
Cheetah

spamone: Animal

Postby Sprintcyclist » 18 Dec 2018, 15:59

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:nissan are releasing an electric van.
you can hire electric motor homes in NZ

How would an electric motor home go ?
could have a motor on each wheel, so it is a 4WD when required.

seams the biggest problem with vans is the aerodynamics, they use about double the power than the sedans, and so far they put in fairly small batteries for some reason, Tesla put up to a 100kwh battery and the biggest van battery is about a 40 or 50 KWH one so only about 150km's of range, that's empty, as a campervan the range would be worse,
I guess if u r like me and only like to drive a hour or 2 while exploring they would be great...... :purple

yes, that was my thoughts.

Still, suppose we have a breakthrough in solar cells and they are now 60% efficient instead of 6% .......

solar panels on the market r about 15-17% there r ones on the horizon that should beat the 20% mark in a few years :)

I don't like the idea of lots of solar panels on a van or a campervan though , as everytime we camp we find shade and would be a bit useless for us, might get some charging driving along , I use a portable solar panel with lots of lead and follow the sun :)

:purple

Good points about camping in the shade while charging batteries.
Ah, someone told me solar panels were 6% efficient, maybe they said 16
Sprintcyclist
mountain lion

Postby Bongalong » 01 Jan 2019, 14:49

Sprintcyclist wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:

seams the biggest problem with vans is the aerodynamics, they use about double the power than the sedans, and so far they put in fairly small batteries for some reason, Tesla put up to a 100kwh battery and the biggest van battery is about a 40 or 50 KWH one so only about 150km's of range, that's empty, as a campervan the range would be worse,
I guess if u r like me and only like to drive a hour or 2 while exploring they would be great...... :purple

Still, suppose we have a breakthrough in solar cells and they are now 60% efficient instead of 6% .......

solar panels on the market r about 15-17% there r ones on the horizon that should beat the 20% mark in a few years :)

I don't like the idea of lots of solar panels on a van or a campervan though , as everytime we camp we find shade and would be a bit useless for us, might get some charging driving along , I use a portable solar panel with lots of lead and follow the sun :)

It varies wildly: it's a get what you pay for kind of thing...
Free what?
Bongalong
Cheetah

Postby Dax » 01 Jan 2019, 15:26

Bongalong wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:

It varies wildly: it's a get what you pay for kind of thing...

If you use an mppt controller, wire your panels in series, you can get good charge in the shade and most panels are between 18-19% efficient. The solar panels on my bus act like a second roof in summer, which stops heat getting on the roof and also allows air flow for the panels.
Dax
mountain lion

Previous

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market