Says it all!

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale



Just post here—don’t need to join.
.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: Says it all!

Postby Auggie » 09 Jul 2018, 21:00

johnsmith wrote:
Auggie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Auggie wrote:Temporary housing/boarding whilst they wait for their visa and claim to be assessed? How long is that? 6 months to 1 year rent free accommodation??

Access to welfare benefits (even if only temporary when they’re getting started) when neither they nor their parents have contributed as a taxpayer previously?


they are given temporary emergency housing for a period of 6 months. You can apply for it too, it's not limited to asylum seekers. They cannot get the dole unless they have been waiting for a protection visa for at least 6 months, and after that they are given less than 90% of the unemployment benefits awarded to anyone else. Anything they do get over and above that is usually provided charities.


That's now after they've been processed at Nauru. Your plan would be to have them processed in Australia, during which whole period they would be in temporary accommodation for more than 6 months. Some people spend years in detention.


If they were processed in Aust. they would get 6 months of emergency housing, after that they're on their own. It's typically NGO's or the asylum seekers themselves that cover the gap.


Even if it led to a proliferation of homelessness among refugee families? Which it would.
I have officially declared war on OzPol and some of its members. Caesar is marching with his legions on Rome.

A new order must be established!
Auggie
Pain in the Butt
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: 02 Oct 2017, 18:05
spamone: Animal

Re: Says it all!

Postby johnsmith » 09 Jul 2018, 21:41

Auggie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Auggie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Auggie wrote:Temporary housing/boarding whilst they wait for their visa and claim to be assessed? How long is that? 6 months to 1 year rent free accommodation??

Access to welfare benefits (even if only temporary when they’re getting started) when neither they nor their parents have contributed as a taxpayer previously?


they are given temporary emergency housing for a period of 6 months. You can apply for it too, it's not limited to asylum seekers. They cannot get the dole unless they have been waiting for a protection visa for at least 6 months, and after that they are given less than 90% of the unemployment benefits awarded to anyone else. Anything they do get over and above that is usually provided charities.


That's now after they've been processed at Nauru. Your plan would be to have them processed in Australia, during which whole period they would be in temporary accommodation for more than 6 months. Some people spend years in detention.


If they were processed in Aust. they would get 6 months of emergency housing, after that they're on their own. It's typically NGO's or the asylum seekers themselves that cover the gap.


Even if it led to a proliferation of homelessness among refugee families? Which it would.


it was in place for nearly seven years under labor and we didn't see any proliferation of homelessness.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Rhinocerus
 
Posts: 5044
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Says it all!

Postby pinkeye » 09 Jul 2018, 23:26

Auggie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Auggie wrote:Temporary housing/boarding whilst they wait for their visa and claim to be assessed? How long is that? 6 months to 1 year rent free accommodation??

Access to welfare benefits (even if only temporary when they’re getting started) when neither they nor their parents have contributed as a taxpayer previously?


they are given temporary emergency housing for a period of 6 months. You can apply for it too, it's not limited to asylum seekers. They cannot get the dole unless they have been waiting for a protection visa for at least 6 months, and after that they are given less than 90% of the unemployment benefits awarded to anyone else. Anything they do get over and above that is usually provided charities.


That's now after they've been processed at Nauru. Your plan would be to have them processed in Australia, during which whole period they would be in temporary accommodation for more than 6 months. Some people spend years in detention.


Just given one really sensible reason to close all off-shore detention camps/islands.
Be a whole lot better all-round, than the current policy, which is literally costing not only BILLIONS of $$$$$$ ( :roll ) but also human life and sanity. All for a political view which no-one can speak about, because it's all a secret from us.
WELL.. not a secret... just we've been prohibited by our government from knowing the truth, and it just is so obvious what is happening is wrong... its .....

unspeakable.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1643
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 21:59
spamone: Animal

Re: Says it all!

Postby mothra » 10 Jul 2018, 11:07

Image
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 4548
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: Says it all!

Postby johnsmith » 10 Jul 2018, 12:37

mothra wrote:Image



with all their operation secrecy crap, I'd hazard a guess that the real costs of all the efforts made to keep out asylum seekers, including additional aid and funding to nauru and manus govts, cambodia, naval exercises, legal action to stop the press, compensation paid out to refugees, bribes paid to refugees to go back home and all the other associated costs, etc far outweighs the cost of allowing them in country in the first place
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Rhinocerus
 
Posts: 5044
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Says it all!

Postby mothra » 10 Jul 2018, 12:40

johnsmith wrote:with all their operation secrecy crap, I'd hazard a guess that the real costs of all the efforts made to keep out asylum seekers, including additional aid and funding to nauru and manus govts, cambodia, naval exercises, legal action to stop the press, compensation paid out to refugees, bribes paid to refugees to go back home and all the other associated costs, etc far outweighs the cost of allowing them in country in the first place


By a considerable amount. It's criminal.
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 4548
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: Says it all!

Postby Miranda » 10 Jul 2018, 14:16

mothra wrote:Thing is though, therein lies just how sinister the design is.

The one on the left doesn't come with "cultural conflict".


Ah! So you do get it.

So, how do we, as a society resolve this major issue. How do we turn those who fear other cultures into everyone embracing cultural diversity?
Miranda
Chihuahua
 
Posts: 92
Joined: 21 Dec 2017, 12:53
spamone: Animal

Re: Says it all!

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Jul 2018, 15:59

Fear of change runs deep in our conservative friends.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 47506
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Says it all!

Postby mothra » 10 Jul 2018, 16:07

Miranda wrote:
mothra wrote:Thing is though, therein lies just how sinister the design is.

The one on the left doesn't come with "cultural conflict".


Ah! So you do get it.

So, how do we, as a society resolve this major issue. How do we turn those who fear other cultures into everyone embracing cultural diversity?



Because you lack the faculty to discern when you are being mocked i will run the risk of being needlessly insulted by you again enough to respond with a very clear statement that i don't give a flying fuck about xenophobes having their feathers ruffled. I rate people's safety and well-being over idiots who are stuck in the '50s.

I had thought that was implicit in my comment in context but clearly, you never can tell.
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 4548
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: Says it all!

Postby Miranda » 10 Jul 2018, 18:08

HBS Guy wrote:Fear of change runs deep in our conservative friends.


Agreed. And yet change is desperately needed. Ideas are needed. Free and open discussion is needed. We cannot thrive in a society which indulges irrational, unfound fears. 1984 teaches us to fight this mentality. 1984 warns us of the consequences if we don't.
Miranda
Chihuahua
 
Posts: 92
Joined: 21 Dec 2017, 12:53
spamone: Animal

Re: Says it all!

Postby mothra » 11 Jul 2018, 17:54

Speaking of saying it all:

Image
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 4548
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: Says it all!

Postby Auggie » 11 Jul 2018, 18:45

mothra wrote:Speaking of saying it all:

Image


Except when they go around calling for people to be beaten up or killed because they hold a particular belief; or in more benign circumstances, call them names and insult them just because they hold those beliefs.
I have officially declared war on OzPol and some of its members. Caesar is marching with his legions on Rome.

A new order must be established!
Auggie
Pain in the Butt
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: 02 Oct 2017, 18:05
spamone: Animal

Re: Says it all!

Postby mothra » 20 Jul 2018, 13:39

Image
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 4548
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: Says it all!

Postby mothra » 23 Jul 2018, 10:31

Image
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 4548
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: Says it all!

Postby mothra » 23 Jul 2018, 17:31

For all of the persecuted old white guys on Ozpol:


Image
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 4548
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: Says it all!

Postby mothra » 24 Jul 2018, 10:57

Image
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 4548
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: Says it all!

Postby mothra » 09 Aug 2018, 20:39

Anyone come to mind?

https://thenib.com/fault-right
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 4548
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: Says it all!

Postby johnsmith » 09 Aug 2018, 21:18

mothra wrote:Anyone come to mind?

https://thenib.com/fault-right


why limit it to one, there are several good candidates that qualify
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Rhinocerus
 
Posts: 5044
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Says it all!

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Aug 2018, 13:52

A hard life.

Spent half an hour and $120 in the excellent Tanunda bookshop looking at cookbooks
Bought 3cookbooks and Wind in the Willows for a greatniece.

Now waiting for lunch in Saltram winery.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 47506
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Says it all!

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Aug 2018, 18:03

Lunch was fucking delicious! As was the glass of Mamre Brook Riesling.

Bought four bottles of that and one of the Mr Pickwicks Particular Fine Tawny Port. Got 30% off because I had lunch there, most customers only get 20%.

Love the cookbooks. One on sourdough, one on pizza and one called Dolce.

Yum!

Pizza book describes the dough and some succulent toppings. Hmmm find a goody, make the dough tomorrow, bung it in the fridge once it has started rising, market on Thursday—get the makings for say 3 small pizzas. Calzones also get a mention, like a pasty but pizza type filling “pizza in trousers.”
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 47506
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Says it all!

Postby Aussie » 14 Aug 2018, 18:11

Years ago, when I was I Rocky, on the way home from work, there was a pizza joint which made prawn pizza with some sort of sauce. Whatever that sauce was......the overall taste was fantastic and nowhere, have I found that taste replicated, despite my best endeavours.
User avatar
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union
 
Posts: 6093
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 18:25

Re: Says it all!

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Aug 2018, 19:38

Google is your friend. . .
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 47506
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Says it all!

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Aug 2018, 19:53

Miranda wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Fear of change runs deep in our conservative friends.


Agreed. And yet change is desperately needed. Ideas are needed. Free and open discussion is needed. We cannot thrive in a society which indulges irrational, unfound fears. 1984 teaches us to fight this mentality. 1984 warns us of the consequences if we don't.


It does indeed.

ATM the atmosphere is frought and rational debate not really possible. Conservative governments in Australia and the US, even in Great Britain despite the great strides made there in the RE field are trying to slow and halt the rapid move to clean renewable energy. They are also totally wrapped up in pushing the neoconservative agenda: giving tax cuts to the already rich and funding it by removing services to people who totally rely on the services: removing the energy supplement from pensioners after causing the energy price to soar, cutting schools and hospitals, the ABC/SBS, trying to cut university funding etc.

OK all that is a little bit away from what you are talking about, Miranda, but the atmosphere is totally antagonistic to new ideas. Forgive me, I am a physical scientist, not a social one.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 47506
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Previous

Return to Sand Pit

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests