Billionaires Made So Much Money Last Year...

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Billionaires Made So Much Money Last Year...

Postby mothra » 16 Apr 2018, 23:55

Billionaires Made So Much Money Last Year They Could End Extreme Poverty Seven Times

The global economy created a record number of billionaires last year, exacerbating inequality amid a weakening of workers’ rights and a corporate push to maximize shareholder returns, charity organization Oxfam International said in a new report.

The world now has 2,043 billionaires, after a new one emerged every two days in the past year, the nonprofit organization said in a report published Monday. The group of mostly men saw its wealth surge by $762 billion, which is enough money to end extreme poverty seven times over, according to Oxfam.

According to separate data compiled by Bloomberg, the top 500 billionaires’ net worth grew 24% to $5.38 trillion in 2017, while the world’s richest person, Amazon.com Inc.’s Jeff Bezos, saw a gain of $33.7 billion.

“The billionaire boom is not a sign of a thriving economy but a symptom of a failing economic system,” said Winnie Byanyima, executive director of Oxfam International. “The people who make our clothes, assemble our phones and grow our food are being exploited.”

Oxfam published the report as global leaders, chief executives and bankers arrive in Davos, Switzerland, for the World Economic Forum’s annual meeting. Noting that many of the world’s elite say they’re concerned about income inequality, the charity said most governments are “shamefully failing” to improve the matter.

Oxfam called on governments to limit shareholder and executive returns, while ensuring workers receive a living wage. It also recommended eliminating the gender pay gap and raising taxes on the wealthy, among other suggestions.

“People are ready for change,” Byanyima said. “They want a limit on the power and the wealth which sits in the hands of so few.”

http://time.com/money/5112462/billionaires-made-so-much-money-last-year-they-could-end-extreme-poverty-seven-times/
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: Billionaires Made So Much Money Last Year...

Postby johnsmith » 17 Apr 2018, 00:02

the rich get richer and everyone else suffers for the privilege
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby mothra » 17 Apr 2018, 00:22

johnsmith wrote:the rich get richer and everyone else suffers for the privilege

It's obscene, isn't it. Absolutely obscene.
mothra
Duck

Postby pinkeye » 17 Apr 2018, 02:06

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:the rich get richer and everyone else suffers for the privilege

It's obscene, isn't it. Absolutely obscene.

Thats Capitalism...
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Auggie » 24 Apr 2018, 17:40

Seems as if we're all jealous that people have more money than us.
It has been demonstrated that no system, not even the most inhuman, can continue to exist without an ideology.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby mothra » 24 Apr 2018, 19:07

CaesarAugustus wrote:Seems as if we're all jealous that people have more money than us.

But of course. And the only women who complain about sexual harassment are the fugly ones nobody would want to harass anyway.

Impeccable logic.

Only non-politicians complain about politicians.
mothra
Duck

Postby MilesAway » 24 Apr 2018, 19:18

CaesarAugustus wrote:Seems as if we're all jealous that people have more money than us.

Ever heard of improvement of system?

Clue, it gave us everything!
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 24 Apr 2018, 20:13

:nah :nah
no ....

now if you had said that 'it seems like we're dismayed at all the greed', you might be onto something.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby Auggie » 24 Apr 2018, 20:30

mothra wrote:

But of course. And the only women who complain about sexual harassment are the fugly ones nobody would want to harass anyway.

Impeccable logic.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Can you be blunt please?
It has been demonstrated that no system, not even the most inhuman, can continue to exist without an ideology.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby Auggie » 24 Apr 2018, 20:31

johnsmith wrote:

no ....

now if you had said that 'it seems like we're dismayed at all the greed', you might be onto something.

Why is greed a bad thing? You don't want more money?
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby johnsmith » 24 Apr 2018, 21:42

CaesarAugustus wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

no ....

greed is the root of all evil

I want a little more money, enough to not have to ever worry about money again.... any more than that and I'll give it away anyway

look at gina fatfart... she took her daughter to court for years to deny her daughter money her father had left her .... 4 or 5 billion not enough for the fat cow? she needed the 2 that was going to go to her daughter? what a pig of a person she is for that. I can't think of a worse person.
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby Auggie » 24 Apr 2018, 21:45

johnsmith wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

no ....

greed is the root of all evil

I want a little more money, enough to not have to ever worry about money again.... any more than that and I'll give it away anyway

look at gina fatfart... she took her daughter to court for years to deny her daughter money her father had left her .... 4 or 5 billion not enough for the fat cow? she needed the 2 that was going to go to her daughter? what a pig of a person she is for that. I can't think of a worse person.

Ah, that's different. When greed interferes with Family loyalty, then I believe that's evil.

When it concerns other people, then it is not necessarily so.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby mothra » 24 Apr 2018, 21:48

CaesarAugustus wrote:
mothra wrote:

Impeccable logic.

Can you be blunt please?

You're saying criticism is fuelled by jealousy. I've always found it a ridiculous argument.
mothra
Duck

Postby Auggie » 24 Apr 2018, 21:49

mothra wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:
mothra wrote:

Impeccable logic.

Can you be blunt please?

You're saying criticism is fuelled by jealousy. I've always found it a ridiculous argument.

So then what is it?? A sense of social justice??
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby johnsmith » 24 Apr 2018, 21:50

I think GREED is always evil'. Especially when you walk over those less fortunate to acquire it which is what people like trump and murdoch do.

wanting more is not greed, that's just ambition. Wanting more than you need or will ever use is Greed.
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 24 Apr 2018, 21:50

CaesarAugustus wrote:So then what is it?? A sense of social justice??

tell me, when you criticise mothra's comment is that because you are jealous?
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby Auggie » 24 Apr 2018, 21:51

johnsmith wrote:

Jealous of what?
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby mothra » 24 Apr 2018, 21:52

CaesarAugustus wrote:

"Billionaires Made So Much Money Last Year They Could End Extreme Poverty Seven Times" ... and children are dying. Like, actually dying.

And you accuse us of jealousy?
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 24 Apr 2018, 21:54

CaesarAugustus wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Jealous of what?

I don't know ... you're the one who claimed criticism stems from jealousy
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby Auggie » 24 Apr 2018, 21:56

mothra wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:

"Billionaires Made So Much Money Last Year They Could End Extreme Poverty Seven Times" ... and children are dying. Like, actually dying.

That they could end poverty with so much money is just a lie. Money won't eliminate poverty by itself. It's a nice slogan, but untrue.

What will eliminate poverty is institutions and state building? Yes, money helps, but if you don't have the institutions and state to do it, the money doesn't mean anything.

I don't think it's jealousy in your case, I think it's a sense of social justice you have.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby Auggie » 24 Apr 2018, 21:56

johnsmith wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Jealous of what?

I said criticism of billionaires having so much money that 'they can eliminate' poverty.

I don't care that a person has more money than me. You?
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby johnsmith » 24 Apr 2018, 22:03

CaesarAugustus wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Jealous of what?

I said criticism of billionaires having so much money that 'they can eliminate' poverty.

I don't care that a person has more money than me. You?

'that they have more money than me'? no, I don't give a shit about money beyond what i can do with it. Accumulating money for the sake of it is pointless in my opinion.

that so many billionaires have so much money while billions of kids have no food, I care greatly. These guys are never use all that money.

Someone like Bill Gates I admire greatly, uses his excess money to help others ... given away over $35BILLION to date

Someone like Gina rinehart i genuinely despise. I wouldn't spit on her if she was on fire.
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby mothra » 24 Apr 2018, 22:07

CaesarAugustus wrote:
mothra wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:

That they could end poverty with so much money is just a lie. Money won't eliminate poverty by itself. It's a nice slogan, but untrue.

What will eliminate poverty is institutions and state building? Yes, money helps, but if you don't have the institutions and state to do it, the money doesn't mean anything.

I don't think it's jealousy in your case, I think it's a sense of social justice you have.

No Augie. The means with which to house, clothe, feed, medicate, educate and provide water for every person on earth has been calculated by greater minds than yours or mine. They reckon they can put a ticket on it. I believe them.

That would, of course, require vast buyouts and confiscations but things have kinda been acquired unfairly so, y'know.

We can't promise peace ... but we can provide for many, many millions more displaced than we do. We. Us. So we can buy $5 t-shirts instead of $10 ones, have a car each, watch telly, and everything comes wrapped in plastic for our convenience. We actually throw away enough food every year to feed everyone on the planet ... yeah?

Does none of this strike you as obscene?

And your mind goes to people that see a problem with this being jealous?
Last edited by mothra on 24 Apr 2018, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
mothra
Duck

Postby Auggie » 24 Apr 2018, 22:08

johnsmith wrote:that so many billionaires have so much money while billions of kids have no food, I care greatly. These guys are never use all that money.

They use it for their children and their family. Sure, the father has 10 lamborghinis, but maybe the son wants 10, the daughter, the niece, the nephew, the brother, the sister, the mother, the father. And maybe the father has 20 houses, but the son wants 20, the daugther, the niece, the nephew, the brother, the sister, the mother, and the father.

And so on...

I sympathise with poverty. The best way to eliminate poverty is to call out dictatorship and corrupt regimes, and to create functioning states and institutions.

I've heard this argument before in the case of the Japanese 'getting rich because they stole money from the Chinese' without considering that the Japanese went through a fundamental shift in state-building and institutions which laid the foundations for their success.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby mothra » 24 Apr 2018, 22:11

CaesarAugustus wrote:
I sympathise with poverty. The best way to eliminate poverty is to call out dictatorship and corrupt regimes, and to create functioning states and institutions.

Most poverty is a direct result of colonialism and it's continuing impact.

We put most of the corrupt regimes there because it suited us well to do so.
mothra
Duck

Next

Return to Politics