Possible Phishing scam

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Possible Phishing scam

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Apr 2018, 12:47

On the way to Tassie and again yesterday I got a call on my mobile phone about “your vehicle accident.”

Have not had one of those for years, barring a small dingle where someone hit my car from behind in the Central Market carpark and broke one of my reflectors.

The first call I just hung up on. Yesterday I got another such call and asked “What accident?” when no more was heard.

:huh

I did have a small amount of damage done to my right front wing while the car was parked about a month ago but doubt it is about that—bastard left without leaving a note.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Possible Phishing scam

Postby johnsmith » 14 Apr 2018, 12:52

HBS Guy wrote:On the way to Tassie and again yesterday I got a call on my mobile phone about “your vehicle accident.”

Have not had one of those for years, barring a small dingle where someone hit my car from behind in the Central Market carpark and broke one of my reflectors.

The first call I just hung up on. Yesterday I got another such call and asked “What accident?” when no more was heard.

Used to get them about 2 months ago, apparently that particular scam has been doing the rounds since 2013 .... since then we've moved back to the 'i'm calling about your internet scammers'

you'll notice they're never specific about your particular accident, they're just fishing

http://www.scamnet.wa.gov.au/scamnet/Scam_types-Attempts_to_gain_your_personal_information-Phishing-Car_Crash_Compensation_Phone_Scam.htm
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

spamone: Animal

Postby MilesAway » 14 Apr 2018, 15:51

Mobile phone?
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 14 Apr 2018, 16:03

MilesAway wrote:Mobile phone?

landline
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Apr 2018, 16:08

iPhone
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Apr 2018, 16:11

johnsmith wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:On the way to Tassie and again yesterday I got a call on my mobile phone about “your vehicle accident.”

Used to get them about 2 months ago, apparently that particular scam has been doing the rounds since 2013 .... since then we've moved back to the 'i'm calling about your internet scammers'

you'll notice they're never specific about your particular accident, they're just fishing

http://www.scamnet.wa.gov.au/scamnet/Scam_types-Attempts_to_gain_your_personal_information-Phishing-Car_Crash_Compensation_Phone_Scam.htm

First time I hung up, second time I asked loudly “What accident?!” and no reply.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 14 Apr 2018, 18:14

johnsmith wrote:

landline

Oh, landline: never pick it up or when you come home you will have messages from the scammers!

Even if I'm home I always let people leave a message: if it's important enough they will and then you can pick up the phone as they are leaving their message! The consequence of picking up every call is that most will be scammers and once you pick up you will be inundated forever!

Conspiracy theory much?

:bike :bike
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 14 Apr 2018, 18:21

MilesAway wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

landline

Oh, landline: never pick it up or when you come home you will have messages from the scammers!

Even if I'm home I always let people leave a message: if it's important enough they will and then you can pick up the phone as they are leaving their message! The consequence of picking up every call is that most will be scammers and once you pick up you will be inundated forever!

Conspiracy theory much?

:bike :bike

I work from home. I have no choice but to pick up when the phone rings.
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby pinkeye » 15 Apr 2018, 02:10

yeah its pretty common.

There is mob of these people.. calling mainly older phone subscribers. One is I'm from Telstra Help Desk, and we're worried about the security of your internet (usually an Indian female speaking)

the other one I've gotten is .. about your recent car accident... or someone in your family has had accident, and its about compensation blah blah blah.

sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 15 Apr 2018, 07:04

I use 3 phones, one for both sections of the business and a private phone, none are connected to the Internet. Only me closest friends and immediate family have my private phone number and only business people have my other numbers. Don't use telstra optus or vodaphone, always use 3rd party providers and my entire ph bill per month for them all, is $30 unlimited calls and texts.

The company runs through a vpn we built ourselves and using linux, we never get any form of phishing or hacks.
Dax
Pitbull terrier

Postby Aussie » 15 Apr 2018, 14:21

Quite a coincidence...this same scam came up at Golf yesterday. Seems quite common.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby johnsmith » 23 Apr 2018, 13:53

i got a new scam today ... recorded message claiming to be federal police on behalf of the ATO. I hung up and two hours later I find it on ABC news :roll :roll :roll

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-23/scam-call-threatens-arrest-warrant-legal-action-ato/9686796
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby Dax » 23 Apr 2018, 16:03

You only get scams if you use windows or apple and companies like telstra and optus. Keep away from them and your online life is safe and enjoyable.
Dax
Pitbull terrier

Postby greggerypeccary » 23 Apr 2018, 19:51

Dax wrote:You only get scams if you use windows or apple and companies like telstra and optus. Keep away from them and your online life is safe and enjoyable.

Yep.

That's why I use Chromebooks to surf the interwebs.

I had one of those ransom screens lock my Chromebook once.

"Pay us $200, and we'll unlock your files".

All I had to do was restart the Chromebook, and the threat was gone.

Without Windows, it had nothing to attack itself to.

I've never, ever had a problem on a Chromebook.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby greggerypeccary » 23 Apr 2018, 19:52

greggerypeccary wrote:
Dax wrote:You only get scams if you use windows or apple and companies like telstra and optus. Keep away from them and your online life is safe and enjoyable.

Yep.

Without Windows, it had nothing to attach itself to.

greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Apr 2018, 20:32

greggerypeccary wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:

Yep.

There is a fantastic book by Neal Stephenson. Has everything in it: distressed damsel, Russian mafia, jihadists, christian taliban and a computer game being attacked by ransomware. Book is called Reamde (ReadMe spelled wrong?)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 24 Apr 2018, 07:03

greggerypeccary wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:

Yep.

You have no control over chromebook, google controls your system and all your data and user history are stored in the google cloud. Nothing secure in that, as google own everything you do and use that data for what ever they want. Which is as bad of not worse that using windows or apple, you have no control over your computing or data.
Dax
Pitbull terrier

Postby greggerypeccary » 24 Apr 2018, 07:52

Dax wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:

Yep.

You have no control over chromebook, ...

Oh, I do.

And I don't get viruses.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 30 May 2018, 14:56

Had another car accident scam phone call this morning. They don’t give up and just reuse whatever call list they have, don’t they?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Off Topic