Could Dutton be more overtly racist?

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: Could Dutton be more overtly racist?

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Apr 2018, 10:44

Thread unlocked.

Keep it civil, please.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 13 Apr 2018, 11:47

Memo from a South African: Peter Dutton is entrenching racist white privilege

My child eyes witnessed racism daily in South Africa. I could escape because I’m white

This year marks the 70th anniversary of the implementation of the racist legislation known as apartheid in South Africa. In 1948, laws were signed into effect that forever changed the lives of South Africans, leaving a devastating legacy, which many of us across the world still live with and struggle against.

I am a white former South African living in Australia, grateful every day for my citizenship. But I am here because, partly, of an unearned privilege. I’m a refugee with a gold-class ticket: I have white skin and I speak fluent received pronunciation English.

Apartheid, literally meaning “apartness”, divided South African citizens based on skin colour. We lived under an appalling caste system from 1948 until 1992, which drew for inspiration on Queensland’s 1897 Aboriginals Protection and the Sale of Opium Act, and privileged white colonists while dispossessing an entire indigenous population.

Since colonisation, and certainly from the late 1800s onward, white colonials in South Africa of Dutch and English descent sought to address the “native question” (the “problem” that South Africa was already inhabited by large numbers of black people). On 19 June 1913, the Natives Land Act was passed: millions of black Africans could not own, or rent land in 93% of the country. They were offered areas totalling only 7% of the country, though they made up most of the population. In 1948, more laws, and apartheid, came into being, relieving most black South Africans of most of their human rights.

I grew up during that apartheid era. The Group Areas Act was legislation that forced blacks to live in one area, coloureds and Indians in others, and whites in others. Influx Control kept blacks out of white areas. Black people were forcibly removed from their homes if the white government decided that this would benefit whites. The Native Resettlement Act of 1954 signed into effect by the rightwing Nationalist government meant that black families living too close to white city centres could be forcibly removed from their homes. Sophiatown was once a thriving black area in Johannesburg. Guns and bulldozers destroyed it, hounding its black population out between 1955 and 1960. District 6, a multi-racial area in the Cape was destroyed in the 1970s because people of different skin colours living together was illegal.

While I was growing up in the 1970s, white South Africans had the highest standard of living in the world. Black people had to carry a “pass” in white areas where they worked as servants. Failure to produce one meant instant arrest. Torture and deaths in detention were standard. My child eyes saw on a daily basis police vans stuffed full of black people who had broken Influx Control laws heading off to jail. I lived through a time of appalling injustice and it has marked me forever. Black South Africans have lived through dispossession in spades.

Cyril Ramaphosa, the new South African president is attempting to redress the imbalances of the past, but his proposed land grab looks less like an attempt at redress, and perhaps more like former Zimbabwe president Robert Mugabe’s “resettlement” of white Zimbabwean farmland.

For years now, white South African farmers have been targeted and killed in race-acts against them. Ramaphosa’s silence could be interpreted, rightly or wrongly, as seeming to condone this. If he is condoning this, it is atrocious. But is it more atrocious than apartheid? And is Peter Dutton’s offer of a helping hand to the white farmers racist? Of course it is.

A black child in a township is far more likely to be killed than a white farmer on a farm. I feel for those farmers, just as I felt for the millions of black people I watched suffer under apartheid. But this land-grab has a long history. It’s a reaction and needs to be seen in the context of a larger history of racism and exploitation of black people.

I ran from a dangerous place because I wanted to live a normal life. I have been illegal and poor in several countries. But ultimately, my white skin has given me a privilege over my black friends and family. In Australia, I do not encounter racism because I am white. My Aboriginal friends encounter it every day. I have been able to make my way in society and no one has ever looked at me as a second-class citizen.

So, if I were a white farmer would I be overjoyed at Dutton’s offer to give me a ticket out of danger? Absolutely. But is Dutton, as a white rightwing politician from a country that once had a “whites only” immigration policy, extending a helping hand to white South African farmers, while at exactly the same time sending dark-skinned refugees, families and children back to places like Sri Lanka and Afghanistan where their lives are in absolute danger entrenching racist, white privilege? To my mind, it certainly seems that way.

After 70 years of apartheid in South Africa and a legacy in Australia of the White Australia policy, of entrenching privilege based on skin colour, we once again bear witness to the raising of status of white people’s lives over brown or black people’s. And apartheid continues its insidious journey into the future of both continents.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/10/memo-from-a-south-african-peter-dutton-is-entrenching-racist-white-privilege?CMP=soc_567
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Postby Auggie » 13 Apr 2018, 16:09

Good article.

What Dutton said was unacceptable. He was primarily dog-whistling because he's at risk of losing his seat to One Nation.

No group should ever be prioritized over another in terms of an immigration policy.
It has been demonstrated that no system, not even the most inhuman, can continue to exist without an ideology.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby johnsmith » 13 Apr 2018, 16:19

CaesarAugustus wrote:Good article.

What Dutton said was unacceptable. He was primarily dog-whistling because he's at risk of losing his seat to One Nation.

No group should ever be prioritized over another in terms of an immigration policy.

:thumb
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby mothra » 13 Apr 2018, 16:39

Absolutely.
mothra
Duck

Postby Auggie » 13 Apr 2018, 16:49

mothra wrote:

Absolutely.

Mothra. Please have a look at the videos I posted in other Threads, such as Israel Palestine, and the Gender Wage Gap.
It has been demonstrated that no system, not even the most inhuman, can continue to exist without an ideology.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby mothra » 13 Apr 2018, 20:21

CaesarAugustus wrote:
Mothra. Please have a look at the videos I posted in other Threads, such as Israel Palestine, and the Gender Wage Gap.

Sorry Augie. I watched the first few minutes of the Israel one and gave up.

Was that designed to brainwash children?
mothra
Duck

Postby pinkeye » 13 Apr 2018, 22:39

After 70 years of apartheid in South Africa and a legacy in Australia of the White Australia policy, of entrenching privilege based on skin colour, we once again bear witness to the raising of status of white people’s lives over brown or black people’s. And apartheid continues its insidious journey into the future of both continents.

Thanks for all of that post M.

I also recognise this in our immigration policy. This hidden apartheid.

I grew up in that era. When South Africa was banned from playing Rugby, internationally. ( for example :roll )

But this might not be visible to those too young to remember.. and it is hardly something that's been openly advertised since... BUT......

is it SO ingrained? I think that increasing diversity at all levels may help.

But it seems that only the information just released recently, showing the skewed distribution of CEO's of all major enterprises impacting Australian society as being ,? what was it.. 90+% White anglo/celt/saxon.. male.... has actually gotten through to the mass media!.. I mean this is nothing new is it.?

Perhaps it takes strong women leaders to show the way , now.

I vote for Penny Wong as PM. :clap :clap

:tweed :tweed :tweed
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Auggie » 14 Apr 2018, 15:53

mothra wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:

Which one was that? There were several videos.

Also, can you please elaborate your thoughts? I’m not trying to catch you out; I genuinely believe the video. I don’t see what’s wrong with it?

Btw, remember how you cautioned me not to treat those of other races as children? I would urge you to do the same.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby mothra » 14 Apr 2018, 18:33

CaesarAugustus wrote:
mothra wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:

Also, can you please elaborate your thoughts? I’m not trying to catch you out; I genuinely believe the video. I don’t see what’s wrong with it?

Btw, remember how you cautioned me not to treat those of other races as children? I would urge you to do the same.

:b
mothra
Duck

Postby Auggie » 14 Apr 2018, 22:59

mothra wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:
mothra wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:

:b

Care to elaborate about your thoughts on the videos???
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby pinkeye » 14 Apr 2018, 23:42

does the video(s) have anything to do with DUTTON.?

NO? well imagine that.!! :zzzz :zzzz :tweed :tweed :tweed :tweed :tweed

You don't get to demand/ expect by right... answers to irrelevant questions. Nope.. you don't, nor does anyone else.

Are these videos about Dutton.?
('cos you can bet I've not bothered to watch them) so how do these videos you refer to address the Dutton Racist topic.?
from your previous form, i doubt there is any but the most tenuous of links. So?

Don't expect an answer.
Last edited by pinkeye on 14 Apr 2018, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 14 Apr 2018, 23:45

CaesarAugustus wrote:Care to elaborate about your thoughts on the videos???

mothra wrote:Sorry Augie. I watched the first few minutes of the Israel one and gave up.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 14 Apr 2018, 23:52

johnsmith wrote:

mothra wrote:Sorry Augie. I watched the first few minutes of the Israel one and gave up.

Can it be more OVERT.?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 16 Apr 2018, 17:13

White South African farmers don't need Australia's help, UNHCR says

The United Nations has urged Australia to resettle the refugees who have been languishing on Manus Island and Nauru for the past five years, rather than focusing on the plight of persecuted white South African farmers.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-16/white-south-african-farmers-dont-need-australias-help-un-says/9663696
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby mothra » 16 Apr 2018, 17:53

johnsmith wrote:

The United Nations has urged Australia to resettle the refugees who have been languishing on Manus Island and Nauru for the past five years, rather than focusing on the plight of persecuted white South African farmers.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-16/white-south-african-farmers-dont-need-australias-help-un-says/9663696

Too bloody right.
mothra
Duck

Postby Dax » 16 Apr 2018, 18:52

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Too bloody right.

As the planet is in a state of ideological war, the most aggressive, violent and destructive opponent being religion. As it's aim is total control, or total devastation and we are seeing that in action.

Demanding we bring more of the enemy to our shores, is treasonous. We are already overrun by deranged psychopaths, who have been trying to destroy this country for over 200 years and have no thought for it, or its future at all. When you look around the country, you can see they are getting pretty close to destroying its life force and couldn't give a stuff.

All that counts is their ideological beliefs and how much they can deny reality.
Dax
Feral cat

Postby johnsmith » 16 Apr 2018, 18:54

Dax wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Too bloody right.

As the planet is in a state of ideological war, the most aggressive, violent and destructive opponent being religion. As it's aim is total control, or total devastation and we are seeing that in action.

Demanding we bring more of the enemy to our shores, is treasonous. We are already overrun by deranged psychopaths, who have been trying to destroy this country for over 200 years and have no thought for it, or its future at all. When you look around the country, you can see they are getting pretty close to destroying its life force and couldn't give a stuff.

All that counts is their ideological beliefs and how much they can deny reality.

more rubbish

what we are seeing is the result of overpopulation. It doesn't help that in many cases we're bombing their homes.
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby Dax » 17 Apr 2018, 07:35

johnsmith wrote:
Dax wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Too bloody right.

more rubbish

what we are seeing is the result of overpopulation. It doesn't help that in many cases we're bombing their homes.

Yep, it is over population, 6 billion religious nutters over populated. The religious have been warring since the cult was invented and they will never stop. For some one who claims they are against religion, you sure are a fervent supporter of the, spreading their barbarity everywhere.
Dax
Feral cat

Postby johnsmith » 17 Apr 2018, 08:36

you sure are an idiot.
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 22 Apr 2018, 23:41

Notice how Dutton has kept his mouth shut.!! lately :roll

Man, is HE on the nose, or what.?

Of course political focus has been elsewhere recently, what with Royals, and Nth Korea acting reasonable :roll

But I can't help noticing how the PM has presented in some recent, seemingly crucial , matters.

I mean.. the uhhs and umms come in every sentence almost. Prhaps he's unsure, about what he's commenting on. Actually, I've only heard one, brief soundbite lately where he didn't uhh mmm
Maybe he's used to working to cue cards.?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Auggie » 22 Apr 2018, 23:55

johnsmith wrote:

Yes JS. So why did she give up? You haven’t answered that question for me.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby Auggie » 22 Apr 2018, 23:55

pinkeye wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Can it be more OVERT.?

WHY did she give up?

Can you answer that question?
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby pinkeye » 22 Apr 2018, 23:59

Sorry
Mothra's choices are her own.

I'll give you a hint though.

Read what she posted last times. Try to understand the message.
hey... you got mine.

AND CA???

Do NOT ASK this question again.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Auggie » 23 Apr 2018, 00:01

pinkeye wrote:does the video(s) have anything to do with DUTTON.?

NO? well imagine that.!! :zzzz :zzzz :tweed :tweed :tweed :tweed :tweed

You don't get to demand/ expect by right... answers to irrelevant questions. Nope.. you don't, nor does anyone else.

Are these videos about Dutton.?
('cos you can bet I've not bothered to watch them) so how do these videos you refer to address the Dutton Racist topic.?
from your previous form, i doubt there is any but the most tenuous of links. So?

Don't expect an answer.

So, I asked about the videos on another thread which was related to the topic of the videos. So, can I have an answer?

And pinkeye, stop being a bitch. First you accuse me of asking irrelevant questions in a thread, then I create a new thread to address the question. And I don’t get an answer from anybody.

So, what the fuck more do you want?

Mothra told me that she gave up on the video with no explanation. I asked her not demanded to explain why. She hasn’t yet.

Sure she doesn’t have to answer, pinkeye but then don’t be a fuckin’ bitch and accuse me of demanding answers on irrelevant threads when I’ve done the right thing.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

PreviousNext

Return to Politics