Brewing beer

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Brewing beer

Postby DonDeeHippy » 11 Jan 2019, 17:49

drinking a beer and thinking of u Monk... it's not a bad brew this one ( I take the beer lottery BWS special) it's a James Boag's Wild River.. good old Tassie beer.... Definitely a Lager, on par with a toothies new (I know im a heathen but I like it).
For once the advertising is correct.... it says its a "refreshing lager" and that it is, so when u finally get to Tas and a hot day worth trying out :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
mountain lion

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jan 2019, 18:47

I want to have a tour through Boags this April, will start enquiring about that. Did enjoy some Boags in the past and drink it on the ferry across Bass Strait.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 11 Jan 2019, 19:37

HBS Guy wrote:I would treat that with a bit of caution.

Dry yeast needs to absorb water via osmosis so the less sugar in the rehydration water the faster the yeast will rehydrate. Then the cell looks after its cell walls and only after that, 30 minutes after pitching is the yeast ready to eat, reproduce etc.

But direct pitching is easier, less chance for things to go wrong. Probably why they published the paper.

I will rehydrate dry yeast every time but do prefer liquid yeasts.

I started off with dry pitching, then rehydrating.

The reason I will revert to dry pitching is this test was done by the yeast manufacturers.
They have a positive vested interest
They would be thorough, scientific and very careful that they are giving the best information.
They want their customers to have the best experience possible
If they make a big mistake, it will cost them customers.
If it is good advice, they will win customers.
Sprintcyclist
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jan 2019, 21:11

It is easier and surer but not better.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 16 Jan 2019, 13:00

Interesting blog chats

.............. Postby 50% Mogman » Thursday Jan 26, 2006 4:15 am

The Thomas Coopers Australian Bitter is a very nice beer.
My beer of choice at the moment.
I made two batches....one with the kit yeast and the other with Safale04.
The Coopers yeast brings out the flavours better.
The next batch I make will definately be done with the supplied yeast and 1.5kg light liquid malt (as per instructions).
Bloody good kit, nine out of ten.

John....

....................... definately becomes quite dark the aussie bitter. I have to say though, that to my taste it is actually quite bitter, and not even remotely like VB of course. Quite identifiably coopers I think, mine turned out not dissimilar from CPA at all.

these kits are generally recomended sto be made with all malt, not dex and a little malt like the other ranges, so i sort of expected them to have a little more bitterness to them to balance the recomended ingredients. I'd really love to know what coopers actually does different! Apart from only selling through HBS' :? ................

http://homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2102

The owner of the local home brew shop said the Thomas Coopers yeast is quite good.
I was not sold on it initially, but this batch is improving well with age.
Still tend to prefer SafeAle US05
Sprintcyclist
Cheetah

Previous

Return to Off Topic