Brewing beer

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Brewing beer

Postby Sprintcyclist » 14 Oct 2018, 03:28

' ..........  A common temperature mentioned for ale yeast fermentation is 20 degrees C. I must emphasize that this is the temperature of the liquid in the fermenter, not the ambient temperature.

During active fermentation heat is generated so the temperature of the liquid in the fermenter will be higher than ambient.

Your temperature of 16 degrees C for ambient temperature could be just right to achieve the fermentation temperature of 20 degrees F............... '

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/what-is-the-best-temp-for-ale-fermentation.368808/

Gosh - it would have been nice had anyone told me that months ago.
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Oct 2018, 08:34

Yeah, I liked to get ferment down to 18°C, which is why I brewed mostly in the winter.

I brewed a nice Russian Imperial Stout, just a little beer, only 12%abv, put it in the Bathurst competition. It didn’t win a title, poured without a trace of a head. However, a brewer from the Malt Shovel Brewery, makers of James Squire beers, finished at his table (all tables finished before Stout, a huge and popular category) came over to the stout table, poured out some of my RIS and tasted it, said “This is a clever beer!”

I know all this as I was staying with a brewstress friend (a real alewife, brewed the ale for the household) just outside Bathurst and was the steward for the stout table (brought each beer in a jug, blind tasting as it should be) made sure they had forms, crackers and water to cleanse palates etc.

When that Malt Shovel brewer said that about my beer that made me pretty proud I can tell you!

After the stout judging was over I spoke to that brewer. He said he detected a minute amount of autolysis (vegemite taste) which is usually due to heat. He said it wasn’t really a fault, just broadened the range of flavors. That beer fermented sitting on the floor of my garage—must have fermented pretty strongly and likely had a lot of yeast some of which autolysed causing a slight Vegemite flavor. Vegemite is just spoiled brewers yeast after all.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 14 Oct 2018, 10:47

HBS Guy wrote: ......... ferment down to 18°C ..........I

was that 18 degrees the ambient air temp or the wort temp?
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Oct 2018, 16:23

Wort temp.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 14 Oct 2018, 16:56

how did you monitor the wort temp?
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Oct 2018, 17:00

Strip thermometer stuck to the outside of the fermenter.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 14 Oct 2018, 20:28

I will reduce the temp next time. 17 degrees maybe

Am thinking the temp of the outside of the plastic fermenter is not the same as the temp of the wort inside.
Plastic is not a good conductor of temperature.

With the exothermic activity inside the fermenter, there may be a gradient of heat toward the center of the fermenter too.
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby Sprintcyclist » 14 Oct 2018, 20:39

hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm

HDPE - 0.45 Min Value (W/m.K)

https://omnexus.specialchem.com/polymer-properties/properties/thermal-insulation

Now, how do we work this out?
WHo knows physics ?
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 14 Oct 2018, 20:43

Sprintcyclist wrote:hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm

https://omnexus.specialchem.com/polymer-properties/properties/thermal-insulation

WHo knows physics ?

let me know what you need and i'll see if wifey is feeling generous ...she good at that complicated maths stuff (and no good at simple maths)
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Oct 2018, 20:52

Sprintcyclist wrote:I will reduce the temp next time. 17 degrees maybe

Am thinking the temp of the outside of the plastic fermenter is not the same as the temp of the wort inside.
Plastic is not a good conductor of temperature.

With the exothermic activity inside the fermenter, there may be a gradient of heat toward the center of the fermenter too.

Don’t overthink it.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 14 Oct 2018, 20:54

too late, I am an overthinker.
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby Sprintcyclist » 14 Oct 2018, 21:01

johnsmith wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm

WHo knows physics ?

let me know what you need and i'll see if wifey is feeling generous ...she good at that complicated maths stuff (and no good at simple maths)

Thanks John,

I think if I set the temp at a lower temp than the last time, that will be a good experiment.
I have a baseline to work from now.
Calculating it is all well and good, but after that I will still just change the temp.
Often doing things empirically works well
Don't waster her time, but thanks

Feel as the activity changes, so should the temperature.
Early on, maybe 16 degrees, after 1 day, 17 degrees, after 2 more days 18 degrees.
Leave it there.
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby Sprintcyclist » 22 Oct 2018, 13:42

Good news, I was out last night and bought a $12 beer at a pub.
It was dreadful. Flat, no head, a burnt flavour and sickly sweet at the same time.

Had it been one of mine it would have been a stand out failure.
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Oct 2018, 14:26

If the strip thermometer showed 18°C on the outside the beer turned out well, no nasty aromas/flavors.

Some yeasts, the liquid Scottish Ale Yeast 1728 and the Nottingham dry yeast can ferment at lower temperatures still. Contrarywise, the Saison liquid yeast needed to be kept warm, the batches I made and racked into a cube were conditioned in my warm study. Fermented down to 1002!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Oct 2018, 14:26

If the strip thermometer showed 18°C on the outside the beer turned out well, no nasty aromas/flavors.

Some yeasts, the liquid Scottish Ale Yeast 1728 and the Nottingham dry yeast can ferment at lower temperatures still. Contrarywise, the Saison liquid yeast needed to be kept warm, the batches I made and racked into a cube were conditioned in my warm study. Fermented down to 1002!

I saved the yeast cake into two small swing top bottles, made up two brewpacks (part mash) and gave a bottle of the yeast cake with each Pack.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Previous

Return to Off Topic