Benefits of exercise

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Benefits of exercise

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Nov 2019, 16:47

When I build my house, fairly soon, I will have eye level oven & grill, bending down and straightening up getting too hard.

I will get a huge gas bottle to run the cooktop and oven.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DerideoTe » 06 Nov 2019, 00:16

HBS Guy wrote:When I build my house, fairly soon, I will have eye level oven & grill, bending down and straightening up getting too hard.

I will get a huge gas bottle to run the cooktop and oven.

Excellent idea.

I complain that I can't see things on the bottom shelf of the fridge that are at the back. Then I noticed that over a period of 2 weekly shopping trips we had 30 eggs in the fridge. So I asked my wife what she intended to do with so many eggs and she told me that when she checked before going shopping there were no eggs in the fridge. So I bent down to her eye level and looked up at the top shelf where the eggs are she was right, she can't see them up there. :bgrin
DerideoTe
Kitten

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Nov 2019, 00:57

I foresee many frittata fir you.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Chuck » 08 Dec 2019, 20:00

I follow the Kung fu artist Bruce Lee exercise regime, that is lots of repetition of light weights.
He claimed his exercise regime improved a person reflex.

But my consumption of stubbies within an hour hasn’t increased.

I simply get too pissed to get additional stubbies and simply nod off.

Chuck
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Dec 2019, 10:13

You eat stubbies? I drink the beer inside them! Boom-tish!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby karlrand » 28 Jan 2020, 19:56

HBS Guy wrote:Very true! Good idea!

A question about ‘Hot Topic’
Given this thread was last posted on 19 Jul 2018, at 14:22, how is it still a ‘hot topic’?

Anyhow I really cant’ contribute much to the benefits of exercise having over 20 years ago properly smashed my knee joints by running too many marathons too often.
Now excerise consists of an exercise bike until my pulse gets too high for my cardiac condition or pottering in the garden.
Wood chopping is now out due to having had a disk removed from my lower spine.
But am I ever jealous when a group of push bike riders or runners pass my house. I miss not just the fitness but the endorphins.
Take my advice, don’t get old, it’s bullshit.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 28 Jan 2020, 21:04

karlrand wrote:Take my advice, don’t get old, it’s bullshit

i always felt it was preferable to the alternative
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Lion

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Jan 2020, 08:11

The bod breaks down with age but, yeah, better than the alternative. Even Mum with her dementia still enjoys visits to/from family, really enjoys eating a nice meal, having a drive and stopping at the odd Op Shop etc. (never finds the crafty stuff she is looking for since all the other old biddies that did craft have pretty much died off and their stuff donated to the op shops in years past and all is gone. Nevermind, she enjoys looking—and I don’t mind too much as I look for books and have bought some beauties for $1-3 etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby karlrand » 29 Jan 2020, 08:21

HBS Guy wrote:The bod breaks down with age but, yeah, better than the alternative. Even Mum with her dementia still enjoys visits to/from family, really enjoys eating a nice meal, having a drive and stopping at the odd Op Shop etc. (never finds the crafty stuff she is looking for since all the other old biddies that did craft have pretty much died off and their stuff donated to the op shops in years past and all is gone. Nevermind, she enjoys looking—and I don’t mind too much as I look for books and have bought some beauties for $1-3 etc.

I recently commented to a long standing friend I suspected I was experiencing early signs of dementia. His instant comment was “How the hell would they know? You’ve always been demented!"
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby Chuck » 29 Jan 2020, 09:12

karlrand wrote:I recently commented to a long standing friend I suspected I was experiencing early signs of dementia. His instant comment was “How the hell would they know? You’ve always been demented!"
Ur suspected medical condition is the main entry criteria for this website!

I’m not sure participating on this site will delay the onset of dementia but its good entertainment value, especially if u purposely retort with a contrarian view against the mob.

Back to exercising!

I follow the Bruce Lee's upper body exercise regime which consists of light weights and a great deal of repetition!
I not sure if he would approve of the weights that I use, considering they are stubbies.

He believed that heavy weights would bulk u up and reduce ur reaction time - I’ve noticed an improvement in my consumption rate.

My knees are stuffed from 'duck waddling' under fighter planes and bombers - don’t think my Peewee legs were suitable for this type of movement
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby karlrand » 29 Jan 2020, 10:44

Chuck wrote:My knees are stuffed from 'duck waddling' under fighter planes and bombers - don’t think my Peewee legs were suitable for this type of movement

I’m sure there’s a few interesting stories there.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby karlrand » 05 Feb 2020, 07:42

Chuck wrote:My knees are stuffed from 'duck waddling' under fighter planes and bombers - don’t think my Peewee legs were suitable for this type of movement

If you indulged in an insane ritual like these blokes, no wonder. At a stretch you could call this calisthenics, It’s a strange little dance though. My back hurts just watching.
(Forward first clip to 6.30.)

karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Previous

Return to Off Topic