Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Dec 2019, 16:23

Slightly darker than I like stollen out the oven and dressed with melted butter and icing sugar.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Dec 2019, 05:58

Christmas Day in the Riverland. The nice chicken and veal schnitzel I had made—waterlogged from melted ice in the esky. Try and find takeaway places—all shut. Roadhouse of the service station at Blanchetown was open—45 minute drive away, just drove for four hours so not appealing but an option. Reluctantly—McDonalds was open and it was by a service station.

So drive, fill up with petrol, while inside paying for the petrol looked for McDonalds, was all Hungry Jack then spotted McD, across a little side road from the servo.

Decided on cheeseburgers and a green salad plus a frozen treat. Dear god, this is big business? A tiny bun, fluorescent orange cheese, very ordinary salad and an oversweet “frozen treat.” Last time before this “experience” I am sure the buns were bigger. Hopefully—no next time!

i threw the schnitzels and the containers I put them in in the rubbish bin at the caravan park. Bloody useless things!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Dec 2019, 06:03

Be off to the market soon. Want some blueberries and raspberries, make a marbled jelly with a cardamom blancmange as the base.

Recipe from: Jellymongers: Glow-in-the-Dark Jelly, Titanic Jelly, Flaming Jelly by the World's Foremost Purveyors Bompas & Parr.

Real jellies made with sheet gelatin. Not kid stuff made with brightly colored crystals, yuck.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Jan 2020, 07:24

Well, I reckon I will get ready and wander down to Holm Oak winery to do some tasting, maybe some buying and maybe some BBQ to eat:

BIRD & HERD
Our friends at Bird n’ Nerd BBQ are back and will be cooking up some succulent American style goodness at Holm Oak’s cellar door on the following weekends:

Saturday 4 January and Sunday 5 January

https://www.holmoakvineyards.com.au/cellar-door/

On the way back stop at Bunnings in Launceston and load up on bags of gypsum. That won’t stop, need to re-gypsum every 3 years, this lot is just for local application around the cherry and apple etc trees around the two pergolas and where the vines will go by the back fences. Also on a couple 20cm deep cracks in the soil : been quite dry in Tassie I suspect. Under the dry layer—plenty of moisture! :WTF
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Jan 2020, 18:53

Bit of a scratch dinner:lamb chops, pork chops broad beans! Yes, still going down here! And bok choy.

Tastes OK!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Jan 2020, 11:57

Just made Mum and me coffee using our coffee machine and the little yellow Harlequin cups by Wedgewood.

Good strong coffee flavor—more coffee liquid than milk! I find a tiny tsp sugar makes this a perfect strong coffee.

Like the cups too:
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Previous

Return to Off Topic