Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Nov 2019, 19:40

Entree.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 08 Nov 2019, 19:42

HBS Guy wrote:Entree.

except you've got it as the thrid course

even as an entree it's a stretch.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Nov 2019, 20:02

It was like a degustation. Not all courses need to be fullsized. Call it a salad then.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Nov 2019, 10:04

Hmmmm I am cooking bolognese sauce, smells divine!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Roxanna » 16 Nov 2019, 12:08

johnsmith wrote:

In the US they call the main course the entree. :WTF
Roxanna
Kitten

Postby johnsmith » 16 Nov 2019, 12:30

Roxanna wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

:b :b
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Roxanna » 17 Nov 2019, 10:27

johnsmith wrote:
Roxanna wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

:b :b

I know. I was there in 2015 and couldn’t believe my ears. No charcoal lettuce though. :thumb
Roxanna
Kitten

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Nov 2019, 10:59

Of course, the main course is desert.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Dec 2019, 09:44

Just realised I better get ready to make the stollen—German Christmass bread—soon. Need to make the marzipan 3-4 days ahead of time so it is form and doesn’t run in the baking.

Used to buy it from Swiss Glory who one day just disappeared, left the fridges etc in the shops, just not there. Guess they went back to Switzerland? Strange but maybe competition from Bracegirdles was too much?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Dec 2019, 10:04

I must be a masochist: at the Market I bought some chicken thighs and thought: I will make cannelloni!

Luckily tomorrow is not as hot. Bought some 00 flour since durrum flour and semolina are a bit hard to find and chicken stock. Poach the chicken in the stock with some herbs and veges, strain, let cool, chop up. The stock and some passata combined to make the sauce. Wiy lt and chop the spinach finely—doesn’t need much cooking as it will cook in the oven.

Any leftover will go to the family Christmas lunch on Boxing Day. For that I have bought a nut-free panettone (a great nephew is allergic to nuts) and will buy half a kilo of veal and make little chicken schnitzels. Simple and quick enough to make and nice enough—and conventional enough. Couple bigger schnitzels to be lunch for me and Mum on the way to Loxton (if the temperature in Adelaide goes over 35 we are not going: I think it is a stupid idea, we could all meet in Murray Bridge, 45 mins from Adelaide but no.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lols » 21 Dec 2019, 09:12

I guess Christmas is stress less for me because there seems to be a competition between my son’s in-laws who want to have it at their place, do I protesteth? Nope, not a word :bgrin and their new rule is, no one buy presents, just our presence is good enough. Only to bring what we like to drink. So there we have it, I do sweet f- all for Christmas.
To be honest, it feels weird.
Lucky for me my kids birthdays are all nearby so I do shop for that.

About 6 months ago, I wrote about getting a Thermomix, and I must say, I absolutely love it!
I have a key that connects to the internet to about 50,000 recipes world wide.
This is the new way of the kitchen. I hardly use the gas cook top and oven, so this is the future, cook books will be obsolete.
The younger distracted generation won’t have to worry about forgetting they are cooking something and burn it on stove tops. This is where a lot of fires start in the kitchen.
Once set as per instructions on screen, the Thermomix does all the cooking, timing, temperature regulation, and stiring and turning off when done. No splatter no mess, it’s clean cooking.
But the oven does the occasional roasts!
I had my kitchen renewed 2 years ago, and I wish I had a smaller oven and 2 burner cooktop instead of the big 6 burner.
Could of had extra cupboard space instead, since I don’t fully utilise this big cook unit since the thermie came along.
I just ordered their new blade cover so will be doing sous vide cooking with it just like I seen them do on MKR or Masterchef. Never really bothered with that type of cooking before, first thing will be salmon!
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Irish wolfhound

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Dec 2019, 10:54

Would love a thermomix—reduce a litre of stock to 200mm rich glaze. After the house is built.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Dec 2019, 13:13

I strained the stock after the chicken was cooked. Had added a glass of white wine. glorious—could taste chicken, herbs and wine in there!

The stock I started with was not some commercial stock rubbish, bought this at the market, Jaggers stall where they sell vegetable, fish, chicken, veal and beef stocks. So really rich stock to go into the sauce.

Make the pasta as soon as I get back from the shops. Aliza Green has a really great book on making pasta, is what got me started properly.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lols » 22 Dec 2019, 09:04

HBS Guy wrote:Would love a thermomix—reduce a litre of stock to 200mm rich glaze. After the house is built.

I can recommend getting a TM5 with key on eBay or gumtree etc for around the $1000 Mark now. The newer TM6 is pricey.
I love the pumpkin soup in it. So delish and it also kneads the pasta well. Takes a lot of work out of it for me.
I have a spare bowl which comes in handy. The steamer on top is amazing and makes the best meatballs while the bowl part cooks the sauce. I also love the ice cream it makes out of frozen fruit and an egg white. Very healthy.
What else I love about it, the feet on the Thermomix are the weighing scale.
That’s what one has to be careful about, not to drag the machine on its feet. Hence I bought a sliding board so my Thermie sits on that.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Irish wolfhound

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Dec 2019, 11:10

Saw one below $1000. Definitely get one when I can.

I have a Kenwood Chef mixer, the biggest domestic unit they sell, 1400W motor. Plus accessories including a moulie that fits over the bowl and uses the bowl attachment. Anything saves wear on my shoulders has my support! But it doesn’t heat and mix. I can see myself making lots of soups, stews and curries of which I can make a batch for four, eat one and freeze three portions.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Dec 2019, 11:10

Here is a thought: if we do not want to use plastic in the freezer (or anywhere) what can we use?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 22 Dec 2019, 12:10

HBS Guy wrote:Here is a thought: if we do not want to use plastic in the freezer (or anywhere) what can we use?

we use big glass jars (old olive and dill pickle) and pyrex containers, also Ikea do good glass containers... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Dec 2019, 13:35

Wouldn’t want to store liquids in them. . .<crack!>

Glass jars not really stackable. . .maybe some Pyrex ones would be?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 22 Dec 2019, 14:04

HBS Guy wrote:Wouldn’t want to store liquids in them. . .<crack!>

Glass jars not really stackable. . .maybe some Pyrex ones would be?

the trick is not to fill them up to the brim. Leave at least an inch off the top of the jar, freeze it, and then once the liquid is frozen put the lid on ... i cover with cling wrap until it freezes then replace the cling wrap with the lid the next day
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Dec 2019, 16:19

I have had no luck, even in a jar only like 40% full. <crack> Maybe froze it too fast?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Dec 2019, 15:47

I had stuffed and rolled out 3/4 of the pasta tubes when the realisation hit me: I had not cooked the sheets in boiling water! Fuck! Couldn’t go back. I thinned the sauce with some white wine, will cook the stuff at lower heat and longer to get the pasta cooked, maybe put alfoil over the top if it looks like getting too brown. I think I deliberately fooled myself (or my unconscious did) to cut the amount of time I have to be on my feet.

Anyway, done, can bung into oven any time. The sauce tastes superb, rich!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Dec 2019, 20:18

Oh my, the cannelloni was so damn good! Pasta cooked perfectly, filling so damn tasty!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 23 Dec 2019, 21:18

HBS Guy wrote:Oh my, the cannelloni was so damn good! Pasta cooked perfectly, filling so damn tasty!

:up

I haven't had home made cannelloni in years

i miss my mums cooking, she really is a great cook.

The other day my oldest son commented that he thought his mum (my wife) was the best cook in the world ...it nearly made me cry. She tries, and it's not bad cooking, but it's certainly not great. Cooking is not her forte , she hates cooking

I nearly cried because I realised that my poor son won't know what good food is unless he marries someone with far greater skill than his mum. My skills are on par with my wifes, except for my bolognaise sauce.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Dec 2019, 00:35

Hahaha my Mum hates cooking too! Meat and 2 veg about her level. I am a pretty good recipe follower.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Dec 2019, 12:46

Stollen well on the way. Dough made, fruit and spices mixed in, kneaded and left to rise.

Dinner will be easy: rock melon (honeymelon actually) with prosciutte followed by 3 gigantic prawns (more like 3 baby crayfish!) for Mum and a dozen oysters for me (SAMTAS wasn’t wasting time counting out half dozens. No desert but I do have choccies. Triple cream brie and Jahlsburger for cheeseboard, lots nice cherries with that. Muscatels, choccies.

Wine is a bottle of Sevenhill Riesling. With the muscatels and choccies—Sevenhills topaque (tokay but they can’t use that name anymore.) One small glass of each will do.

Sevenhill is a winery run by monks and there is a monastery and a church on the grounds. A few years ago I was about to turn into the gate when a fucking funeral procession came out of it. I kept a sober expression until the last car in the funeral procession went past then burst into hysterical laughter.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic