Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby johnsmith » 08 Sep 2019, 15:59

my wife is making a batch of anzac cookies as we speak the smell is driving me nuts. I want to scoff them down but apparently i need to wait or risk the wooden spoon :grn
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

spamone: Animal

Postby Aussie » 08 Sep 2019, 16:05

johnsmith wrote:my wife is making a batch of anzac cookies as we speak the smell is driving me nuts. I want to scoff them down but apparently i need to wait or risk the wooden spoon :grn

Classic. A Romanian (?) cooks a Wog ANZAC bikkies. I guess that means they can be citizens then. Welcome to Australia.

:bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby johnsmith » 08 Sep 2019, 16:11

Aussie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:my wife is making a batch of anzac cookies as we speak the smell is driving me nuts. I want to scoff them down but apparently i need to wait or risk the wooden spoon :grn

Classic. A Romanian (?) cooks a Wog ANZAC bikkies. I guess that means they can be citizens then. Welcome to Australia.

:bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

kids just came home from the neigbours place as she went out into the back yard to check her veggie crop ... I was able to steal some cookies and blame it on the kids

:yahoo
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby johnsmith » 08 Sep 2019, 16:11

wog my arse .. i was born here you bloody pom
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 08 Sep 2019, 16:14

johnsmith wrote:wog my arse .. i was born here you bloody pom

You can't call me a bloody Pom. You bloody Wog!
Aussie

Postby johnsmith » 08 Sep 2019, 16:21

Aussie wrote:
johnsmith wrote:wog my arse .. i was born here you bloody pom

You can't call me a bloody Pom. You bloody Wog!

sorry ... i forgot you've no blood in your veins. I'll change it to you vb for blood pommie git
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 08 Sep 2019, 16:28

I'll drink to that!

:beer
Aussie

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Sep 2019, 16:59

Cake wasn’t that great.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 08 Sep 2019, 17:10

HBS Guy wrote:Cake wasn’t that great.

anzac bikies were great. Kids almost finished the first batch of about 20 within minutes of walking in that door (i may have helped). Their mum never stood a chance .... even with wooden spoon in hand. :giggle :giggle
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Sep 2019, 19:28

Will make some to take on the road!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Sep 2019, 08:36

My cake improved overnight, could take enough with me for eating on the way.

For anybody contemplating travel on the ferry to Tas here is a great tip: eat an early dinner before boarding. In the morning buy a cup of coffee if you like then drive from Devonport to Elizabeth Town (a 24 hour bakery/cafe located just after the Elizabeth Town site) and have a nice breakfast there. This will save you a heap of dough and get you MUCH nicer food!

Marion Shopping Centre has a Cheese shop (in the new arcade where Aldi is) and they sell a nice pork pie to be eaten cold. Will buy one of them Thu with a couple bottles chocolate milk, bung half the pie and the milk in the side by side fridge/freezer in the shed and in the morning get all that and two freezer blocks and bung it in my little car fridge (actually, it is called a “cooler” not a fridge because it can keep things hot or cold but can’t cool or warm them. (I actually had the “cooler” said to heat and when I got to Nhill for the halfway stop and reached for a choc. milk—it was lukewarm. Took the “cooler” like 4 hours to warm cold milk to lukewarm! Is fine when only cold things go in and it is set to “cold.” :rofl :rofl :rofl

The cake and biscuits will be well sealed in tins: my little dog is a lovely and loving dog but is also a fanatic and fiendishly clever fucking food thief! They go in my “day bag” (a soft esky, best thing for carrying meat/fish/dairy home on a hot day!) with a toilet roll (loo paper on the road is as absorbent as plastic and as wide as a calculator tape if you are lucky!) a bar of soap, paper towels, a small towel and a tea towel plus my medication incl sea sickness tablets. Few public loos have more than a tap for ablutions after excretion! No soap no paper towels! Small thermos of black coffee, add some choc milk to that.

Have worked out a travel plan incl stops every 2 hours in laybys I have found that do the job and allow a discreet pee. Last stop is just for refuelling—petrol bound to be cheaper in Vic than in Tas! On the way back—stops every hour:- eyes start closing after about 50 minutes driving. Once back in SA I seem to be OK but stop just before the freeway and buy a coffee anyway.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 15 Sep 2019, 02:35

Been thinking about White Bait Fritters lately.
(licks lips )

"Cos when I was buying some oysters and prawns last week, I noticed some frozen little fishies.!!
Called White Bait, when I queried, they agreed.. Nah they're Chinese,.. not NZ white bait. ( that costs a fortune :roll )

So I took my 1/2 doz Tiger Prawns, my dozen Rock oysters and my piece of fresh RED EMPEROR, and went home.

Needless to say, they were consumed with relish.

Umm but I'm still thinking about White Bait Fritters. :bgrin

It brings to mind a memory of my working years. :bgrin

Someone said lets have a KIWI DAY, on the historic date of the Treaty of Waitangi. ( it wasn't me) but .. somehow I agreed and said I'd make White Bait fritters. :roll

Someone else made a PAVLOVA :roll :bgrin
and I forget the rest.
I'd NEVER made them before. :bgrin

Let's just say, to keep a long story short.... I did so 'cos I'd seen NZ White Bait available at a reasonable price, and I wanted to have a go.! I used the recipe in my old Edmunds Cook book, .. a reference that older Kiwis will recognise. :bgrin
I spent hours the night before the morning tea making up the batter with the wee fishies. Then frying them.
I gently layered them between greaseproof paper, in a handy vessel, put them in the fridge , and next day used a microwave at work to heat them. ( I supplied slices of lemon for garnish)
They were so successful, I didn't get to have more than ONE. !!

Never had a cause nor chance to make them since. SIGH.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Sep 2019, 07:37

I had a bowl of whitebait with aioli in Adelaide. Don’t see them often.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 15 Sep 2019, 18:46

Fritters for me.

I think Aioli is yuk.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Sep 2019, 19:01

That is fine, Pinky, we all have our own tastes and likes/dislikes.

Have some really nice pork chops to cook and salad to make—just trying to convince lazy self its time.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 15 Sep 2019, 23:26

I know. I get so bored with food and cooking for myself.
It's sometimes a pleasure, but more often a chore these days.

:roll Even more so with a broken arm.
I swear, I was using my head, to hold in the OVEN Gas Knob, whilst I lit the gas with a dead lighter. Still it sparks, and tha'ts all I need, BUT you have to be quick. The auto-ignition died on my gas oven yrs ago, and I just use an old extinct lighter. :roll
Means putting your arm all the way in so you can feel the gas on your hand, and then you click the lighter, and pull back quickly. :bgrin :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Sep 2019, 01:43

Geez, buy a new oven lighter!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 16 Sep 2019, 16:18

pinkeye wrote:I know. I get so bored with food and cooking for myself.
It's sometimes a pleasure, but more often a chore these days.

:roll Even more so with a broken arm.
I swear, I was using my head, to hold in the OVEN Gas Knob, whilst I lit the gas with a dead lighter. Still it sparks, and tha'ts all I need, BUT you have to be quick. The auto-ignition died on my gas oven yrs ago, and I just use an old extinct lighter. :roll
Means putting your arm all the way in so you can feel the gas on your hand, and then you click the lighter, and pull back quickly. :bgrin :bgrin

:grn
geez............ replace the piezo before you blow yourself up
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 16 Sep 2019, 23:03

:bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

life is all about solving problems.

Hey, haven't blown myself up yet.!! :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Sep 2019, 11:05

Think I will go bake a Breton flat cake—practice for next week when I will bake one to take with me.

That is how inspiring this food thread is!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Sep 2019, 11:47

Dough chilling in the fridge, oven peheating.

Couldn’t find a 7" flan tin, got one bit bigger, won’t press dough right to the edge.

A dry-ish cake, should travel OK. Try it, see what I did wrong :rofl and try and do better next week!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Nov 2019, 13:14

Lovely meal at Paullett’s winery. I chose the “long lunch” 4 courses. Glass rosé to accompany.

First course: sashimi of kingfish with desert lime and shitaki mushrooms etc.
Second course: parfait of chicken. A really lovely chicken pate with crispy and fresh bread and a sauce or dressing made from Davidson plums
Third course: blackened cos lettuce with bush tomato and other things
Fourth course: roast chicken with chili jam and Davidson plums cooked in caramel. Chili jam was good and hot and I hogged it all! Love hot food that is properly hot.

For once—I did NOT ask to see the desert menu!

But it is a funny place where they cook the lettuce but not the fish!

Menu is here.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 08 Nov 2019, 10:01

HBS Guy wrote:Lovely meal at Paullett’s winery. I chose the “long lunch” 4 courses. Glass rosé to accompany.

First course: sashimi of kingfish with desert lime and shitaki mushrooms etc.
Second course: parfait of chicken. A really lovely chicken pate with crispy and fresh bread and a sauce or dressing made from Davidson plums
Third course: blackened cos lettuce with bush tomato and other things
Fourth course: roast chicken with chili jam and Davidson plums cooked in caramel. Chili jam was good and hot and I hogged it all! Love hot food that is properly hot.

For once—I did NOT ask to see the desert menu!

But it is a funny place where they cook the lettuce but not the fish!

Menu is here.

"blackened cos lettuce"

I've never heard of that.

I'm gonna give it a try at home tonight.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Nov 2019, 15:07

Chef Google will tell you how.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 08 Nov 2019, 19:39

greggerypeccary wrote: blackened cos lettuce with bush tomato and other things

no way in hell that constitutes a 'course' ....
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic