Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Jul 2018, 19:58

Hmmmmmmm!!!!!

Nice (tho greenhouse) maters cut into thin segments, sprinkled with salt, pepper, teens sugar. Left to macerate.

Chopped chives and basil leaves, unfortunately, both were tasteless. Sliced a shallot as well.

Nevermind, maters and capsicum, nice. Poured over EVOO and sherry vinegar. Needed more salt, I think.

Nice enough.

Tomorrow I will add some nice hot chilies to the chopped maters. Also vinegar etc. Nice salsa, eat with corn chips.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Jul 2018, 17:13

Stewed some rhubarb. Exciting I know. Whipped some lovely Jersey pure cream to have with it. Must look up creme anglais some time soon!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Jul 2018, 18:46

At the Market I suddenly decided to make canneloni for dinner tomorrow! So to the chicken stall, bought two chicken leg fillets. Paid, bought bread at the next stall, smacked forehead, back to chicken stall, bought bag chicken bones. Nice lot stock at bare shiver on the stove. Tomorrow, strain that, cook chicken leg fillets in it. Chicken and spinach, chicken and mushroom. Bought soup veg for the stock and 6 duck eggs, use one egg and one duck egg yolk to make some rich pasta!

Be good! And can likely freeze for another 1-2 meals when I can’t be fucked cooking!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 10 Jul 2018, 18:55

HBS Guy wrote:At the Market I suddenly decided to make canneloni for dinner tomorrow! So to the chicken stall, bought two chicken leg fillets. Paid, bought bread at the next stall, smacked forehead, back to chicken stall, bought bag chicken bones. Nice lot stock at bare shiver on the stove. Tomorrow, strain that, cook chicken leg fillets in it. Chicken and spinach, chicken and mushroom. Bought soup veg for the stock and 6 duck eggs, use one egg and one duck egg yolk to make some rich pasta!

Be good! And can likely freeze for another 1-2 meals when I can’t be fucked cooking!

bastard. You can't tell me that without offering me some. :h
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Jul 2018, 19:04

Sure, make it down here by dinner time tomorrow—wife and kiddies included—and sit down to some nice tucker!

If the pasta runs out I will have the remains of a Berkshire pork roast to supplement.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 11 Jul 2018, 00:14

huh

I'm just about to finish up cooking Ox-tail soup.

Need to cool it then skim off the fat.

OOh OOh Oooh so delicious.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jul 2018, 19:06

:OMG EVERY joint hurts!

I forgot just how much work cannelloni are!

Made the stock yesterday, strained it and concentrated it a bit this morning. 950ml taken, the chicken cooked in the stock, strain and reserve stock, cut up chicken. Cook the mushrooms in the stock, strain, reserving the stock. Cut the ’shrooms fine. Make the sauce, melt butter, add flour, stir, add the stock whisk whisk whisk until the bloody stock bloody boils! Pour sauce into a jug, cover, cool.

Make the pasta. plain flour, durrum flour, durrum semolina (durrum = high protein) 3 eggs + 1 egg yolk. I use two chook eggs, 1 duck egg, yolk of one duck. Dough needed (not kneaded!) just 1tbsp water. Beautiful color. Knead (not need tho you do) the dough 5 minutes, cover with damp towel, go to lounge and collapse for 30 minutes.

Urgh! Back to kitchen, divide dough into quarters, stretch first quarter, run through pasta machine set on 0, then on 1, then on 2. Fold the dough in half, pressing fingers into the dough to stick the two layers together, run through machine set back to 0, then 1, then 2, then if OK can skip to setting 4 then 6.

The folding and re-rolling the pasta is the trick to get good even stretches of dough. Towards the end of each bit of pasta I might fold the ends in to have nice clean rectangle dough run through at penultimate setting then at the final setting. The pasta for cannelloni is cooked twice so we leave it a bit thick, setting 6 where for other pasta we might go on to 7. For ravioli you might run it out as far as setting 8 (because you have 2 thicknesses of dough in each ravioli. Cut the dough into 30–35cm lengths, flour well then put the next bit of dough on top. If you don’t flour the top of the dough you will end up with ONE thick piece of dough—and you can only run it through the machine so many times before the gluten turns it into bread dough!

Add some cream to the chicken+spinach and chicken+mushroom mix. Cut the first layer of dough up, boil the sheets 2-3 minutes, fish them out, into a colander and run cold water across then put the sheets on a tea towel and rush to put filling on each sheet and roll it up before it becomes a rigid square, bung into a wide shallow casserole, bake.

I bought the pasta machine and plonked away not knowing what the fuck I was doing. Then I bought “Making Artisan Pasta” by Aliza Green. Now I have some idea of what I am doing. It REALLY is worth making your own pasta. I stick as many eggs/egg yolks as I think I can get away with, beautiful egg pasta is the result. The book goes beyond just Italian pasta, items from Turkey etc make it into the book. Recommend it!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 11 Jul 2018, 19:28

HBS Guy wrote:I forgot just how much work cannelloni are!

thats why I never make them. Lasagna is just as good and far simpler
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jul 2018, 19:35

Nothing beats canneloni tho, especially if someone else made them!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jul 2018, 19:55

Make some ravioli next week I reckon.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Jul 2018, 12:08

For Aussie, durum flour and durum semolina:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Jul 2018, 12:09

I try to make the egg content pretty high. Used a duck egg yolk, seen here with a chook egg, and a whole duck egg:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Jul 2018, 12:12

Mushrooms seething in some of the chookstock:
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Jul 2018, 10:32

Things might get a bit windy in Adelaide.

I have probably over a kilo of sweet flat onions. Thinking French onion soup, use up some of the chicken stock I made for the cannelloni, tonight and pissaladiere tomorrow.

Must remember to buy thyme and butter and gruyere cheese. And pitted black olives. And a biggish jar of anchovies.

Might try two recipes from the net:

https://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/recipes/browse-all/french-onion-soup-8664

https://www.delscookingtwist.com/2015/08/05/pissaladiere/
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Jul 2018, 17:26

Ravioli this weekend I reckon

Chicken and spinach
Spinach and pine nuts
Spinach and cheese
Mushroom and chicken
Mushroom

Hmmm I have chicken stock in the freezer I think, better check.

Couple of tricks to ravioli: be very neat when putting the filling in the pockets: if you get filling where the two halves of pasta are pressed together the layers of pasta won’t seal and that ravioli will explode in the boiling water. To safeguard against air in a “pillow” of ravioli expanding and exploding the pillow prick a small hole in the pasta.

What sauce? Would tomato sauce go with the above fillings? Bechamel? Just butter and cheese?

Be making pissaladiére too.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 19 Jul 2018, 18:14

HBS Guy wrote:What sauce? Would tomato sauce go with the above fillings? Bechamel? Just butter?

for the chicken / mushie or chick / spinach

try a rose' sauce (a napolitana sauce with cream added to it, a cross between red and white sauce)

or try a Alfredo sauce
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby greggerypeccary » 21 Jul 2018, 17:44

This is food related.

I'm going for lunch in the next few weeks at the Eiffel Tower (have a trip booked to London).

Tour 56, or something like that (???)

Anyone been there?

Any good?

I've never been to Paris (every other country in Europe, but not France)..
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 21 Jul 2018, 18:28

greggerypeccary wrote:This is food related.

I'm going for lunch in the next few weeks at the Eiffel Tower (have a trip booked to London).

Tour 56, or something like that (???)

Anyone been there?

Any good?

I've never been to Paris (every other country in Europe, but not France)..

My sisters in France now. Her partner has a house near Nice so she spends every alternate summer holiday there.
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Jul 2018, 18:32

Stay away from the Champ$ Ely$ee and you will adore Paris.

IMHO Italy has better food but the French have better bread and incredible patisserie!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 21 Jul 2018, 18:36

HBS Guy wrote:Stay away from the Champ$ Ely$ee and you will adore Paris.

IMHO Italy has better food but the French have better bread and incredible patisserie!

pastries are better in Italy too. You just have to stay away from the tourist traps. Try looking for a pasticceria that's been there for generations
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Jul 2018, 18:38

Will do that next time I am in Italy.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 21 Jul 2018, 19:24

Actually,I'm not doing lunch at the tower now (booked out).

My friend has booked me into a restaurant near the Louvre.

Still gonna be nice :)

I'll be spending 14 days in London.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Jul 2018, 19:29

Have fun!

Simpson’s on The Strand has some nice food, including treacle tarts.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 21 Jul 2018, 19:31

HBS Guy wrote:Have fun!

Simpson’s on The Strand has some nice food, including treacle tarts.

Cheers!

I'm going out to Bath for the first time.

I've heard it's a really beautiful town.

Also going to Jimi Hendix's flat.

A friend lives right next door.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby Sprintcyclist » 22 Jul 2018, 01:30

greggerypeccary wrote:Actually,I'm not doing lunch at the tower now (booked out).

My friend has booked me into a restaurant near the Louvre.

Still gonna be nice :)

I'll be spending 14 days in London.

Well done
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic