Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby johnsmith » 08 May 2018, 22:11

HBS Guy wrote:Dinner tonight will amaze you.

certainly did

pork belly, and the crackle was awesome
Baked chicken merrylands
asparagus with fig glaze
baked carrots
baked potato with rosemary
lettuce, tomato and avocado salad

wifey did well tonight. :bgrin :bgrin
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 08 May 2018, 23:15

Sounds nice!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 08 May 2018, 23:19

HBS Guy wrote:Sounds nice!

and tasted even better .... wife only does the full spread like that when we have guests ....

i need more guests :beer
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 08 May 2018, 23:59

I can be there next week if you pay the airfare and put me up!

I will bring a cask of Clare red “Chateau Collapso.”
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 09 May 2018, 00:02

HBS Guy wrote:I can be there next week if you pay the airfare and put me up!

I will bring a cask of Clare red “Chateau Collapso.”

cask? you might get the potatoe skins and greenery from the carrots

I might throw in a chicken bone if you behave
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 09 May 2018, 00:10

:bgrin :bgrin :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 18 May 2018, 14:54

Ahhh got my pasta extruder! Plugs in to the lower power outlet on the mighty Kenwood Chef Platinum! 1400W motor, once it kneaded 2Kg bread dough and I could even feel it getting warm!

Only one die with it, for macaroni, what the cogne, cogni, errr what those in the know call penne. Need one for vermicelli and one for spaghetti. Will get them.

Because place is going down I got the moulie–sieve attachement too, $40 off. Less work for my shoulders. Sieve fits in the bowl and the scraper goes in the bowl outlet.

Be making penne maybe Sunday, let it dry, cook a meal Tuesday.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 18 May 2018, 15:15

had catso chicken for lunch

sounds to similar to the italian word, 'cazzo' :bgrin :bgrin
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 18 May 2018, 15:33

Some neat dies come with the extruder.

Kneading pasta dough is easy, 5 minutes tops. All that rolling gives me the shits tho, roll it through a couple of times, fold double, roll again then roll until the right thickness is achieved then, except for canneloni and lasagna you have to roll it through the bloody cutter!

Not going to buy a roller and a cutter for the Kenwood tho, reckon I can buy a motor for my little machine, cheaper and I get to keep all the cutters it came with.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 18 May 2018, 15:50

HBS Guy wrote:All that rolling gives me the shits tho, roll it through a couple of times, fold double, roll again then roll until the right thickness is achieved then, except for canneloni and lasagna you have to roll it through the bloody cutter!

but the flavour of fresh pasta is well worth the effort
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 18 May 2018, 17:36

Fuck yeah! I adapt the recipe for the basic dough a bit, more yolks, less whole eggs. Lovely yellow dough, nutty tasting when dried, gorgeous!

Will be making a batch of lasagna some time soon. Might buy a kilo of pork and veal mince, divide into 250 or 300g batches, freeze until needed.

If this wintry weather keeps up will be ordering a pigs head and dried peas—Dutch pea soup aka “snert.” Thick, savory, nourishing! With a rookworst, unbeatable on a cold winters day. Even better the next day.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 18 May 2018, 21:03

HBS Guy wrote:Fuck yeah! I adapt the recipe for the basic dough a bit, more yolks, less whole eggs. Lovely yellow dough, nutty tasting when dried, gorgeous!

Will be making a batch of lasagna some time soon. Might buy a kilo of pork and veal mince, divide into 250 or 300g batches, freeze until needed.

If this wintry weather keeps up will be ordering a pigs head and dried peas—Dutch pea soup aka “snert.” Thick, savory, nourishing! With a rookworst, unbeatable on a cold winters day. Even better the next day.

just make sure you use 00 flour
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 18 May 2018, 21:08

I use something like 250g plain flour, 125g durrum flour, 125 durrum semolina.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 18 May 2018, 21:36

HBS Guy wrote:I use something like 250g plain flour, 125g durrum flour, 125 durrum semolina.

whatever works for you I guess.
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby Aussie » 18 May 2018, 21:38

HBS Guy wrote:I use something like 250g plain flour, 125g durrum flour, 125 durrum semolina.

Martian to me.....durrum flour.....durrum semolina. Bet if I went to Coles tomorrow, I'd not find either.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby HBS Guy » 18 May 2018, 21:53

You might find 00 flour.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 18 May 2018, 21:55

HBS Guy wrote:You might find 00 flour.

There are two types of flour here.....plain and self raising. I'm not going beyond them.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby HBS Guy » 18 May 2018, 22:03

ahahahahahaha

Plain would be OK. Pasta flour gets a minimum kneading—don’t want the gluten developed, would make the rolling out impossible.

You can roll pasta out with a rolling pin. I don’t recommend it.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 May 2018, 11:06

Well FUCK!

Bought the fucking attachment, thought I will look up dies for vermicelli and spaghetti.

Saw a die for SQUARE fucking spaghetti! I can make that with my roller/cutter pasta machine! I want ROUND fucking pasta! For FUCKS sake!

Stick to penne. I will send them a nice little email pointing out they got pointy heads and no brains!

There ARE interesting dies. Bigoli, thick strands of pasta traditionally made with buckwheat flour and duck eggs. Will have to try that! And ones for pasta shells and spirals etc. Just not round fucking spaghetti or vermicelli. The dies are bronze so give the pasta a rough surface which is what you want.

I wonder if I can use the mincing attachment, fine screen, without the cutter, of course.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 23 May 2018, 11:17

HBS Guy wrote:Well FUCK!

Bought the fucking attachment, thought I will look up dies for vermicelli and spaghetti.

Saw a die for SQUARE fucking spaghetti! I can make that with my roller/cutter pasta machine! I want ROUND fucking pasta! For FUCKS sake!

Stick to penne. I will send them a nice little email pointing out they got pointy heads and no brains!

There ARE interesting dies. Bigoli, thick strands of pasta traditionally made with buckwheat flour and duck eggs. Will have to try that! And ones for pasta shells and spirals etc. Just not round fucking spaghetti or vermicelli. The dies are bronze so give the pasta a rough surface which is what you want.

I wonder if I can use the mincing attachment, fine screen, without the cutter, of course.

try running your dough through your mincer if you want round ... :bgrin
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 23 May 2018, 13:02

Nah, all the strands will fall together and become one mass.

Nevermind, penne today, will buy a couple more, orichietto and spirali sound nice.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 24 May 2018, 08:16

HBS Guy wrote:Nah, all the strands will fall together and become one mass.

Nevermind, penne today, will buy a couple more, orichietto and spirali sound nice.

i was joking. :grn
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 24 May 2018, 10:52

I know.

Had to use the pasta machine—go to Good Guys today, get the pin-type attachment to my machine—extruder came with a totally different way of attaching the extruder to the low power outlet. Why they change the way of attaching things beats the shit out of me.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 27 May 2018, 20:47

Got a refund on the extruder. Tomorrow might get a ring from The Good Guys. If they can’t do it can order one from Kenwood Australia.

Still angry about the fucking square spaghetti and absence of vermicelli. But there are some interesting dies. The dies are bronze, this means the pasta is rough and can hold a heap of sauce.

In Tassie, once I have my own chooks running in the backyard the pasta I can make will be out of this world. If you don’t have your own chooks you have never tasted an egg! Eaten eggs maybe, tasted them NOPE! I just fucking LOVE backyard eggs: crack one into a frypan and the white just stays with the yolk. I needed to separate some eggs, tum te tum, got the egg separator, crack an egg into it—and it just fucking sat there, white and yolk. Unreal! This is what really truly fresh eggs do!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 04 Jun 2018, 02:14

ahh .the joys of pasta.

Personally I buy Barilla brand. :bgrin

Just wondering if you've made a Kim Chi Soup. I'm hoping for something minimalist, with seafood protein. And maybe rice vermicelli noodles.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic