Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Apr 2018, 13:40

Try mixing half your flour, all your water and all the yeast, cover and leave to stand overnight. Then add the rest of the flour and the salt, mix, knead, prove etc. The long ferment will put more flavor in your bread and your time to make it is not noticeably longer.

Bread does not taste like dried bread dough because the yeast changes flavors and adds its own, so give it time and a nice liquid salt–free home to do it in. Works for yeast and sourdough bread.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 17 Apr 2018, 16:00

Been there done that, others I know make bread like you suggest, I'm to lazy to wait that long. As I travel a lot, most times only home for a day or so. Plus never use salt in my cooking ever, like my health to much to ruin it with salt. Salt, takes away the wonderful taste of real food and believe the reason why people use it, is because their taste buds are stuffed, from eating so much junk saturated with salts and sugars. But every one to their own way of living I say.
Dax
Feral cat

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Apr 2018, 17:09

Fair enough, circumstances alter cases. Rye flour starter had big bubbles in it this morning. I have fed it, haven’t thrown any out yet, trying to get it big enough and active enough to make at least a rye loaf this weekend.

Niece and greatnephew where expected here so I whipped up a batch of zandkoekjes, Dutch biscuits, nice and crisp, with a somewhat sandy texture in the mouth.

Needs one ingredient hard to get: basterd suiker (basterd sugar, called by all us boys “bastard sugar” :bgrin ) which is powdered sugar with some invert sugar added. I use muscovado sugar with a tablespoon of Lyle’s Golden Syrup which is, ta da, invert sugar.

There is a variation you can make: once the dough is made split it in half, add a tbsp or two of cocoa to one half, mix in. Roll out both halves of the dough, place the cocoa one on top of the plain one, roll up, bung in the fridge to firm up, cut nice thin sliced onto greased and floured baking tray bake for about 15minutes.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 18 Apr 2018, 19:34

That sounds interesting, sour dough makes really nice bread. Eat a bit of it, but always need a break from it for some reason. My neighbour has her own yeast culture, makes lovely light tasty bread of many combinations.
Dax
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Apr 2018, 19:55

Love sourdough, lovely firm bread, yum!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Apr 2018, 22:39

My sourdough starter is developing rapidly. It has already reached the stage connoisseurs call the “vomit” stage because that is what is smells like right now. Honest!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Apr 2018, 14:22

Will split that starter today, start a wholemeal wheat one. Have a pizza planned for this weekend, preheat the oven, cook the pizza, take pizza out, turn oven up. Pizza finished, throw the loaf into the oven, 40 minutes later—bread!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Apr 2018, 15:42

I bought a kangaroo tail at the Market today. Made soup fro one a long time ago but haven’t got the book with the recipe I used then.

Anyone have any ideas or will I ask Chef Google?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 20 Apr 2018, 16:56

HBS Guy wrote:
Anyone have any ideas

give it to the dog :hlo
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Apr 2018, 18:01

No way, kangaroo tail soup is wonderful!

Will use half the tail to make stock tomorrow, the other half will be sliced, fried and tipped into the soup at the last minute.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 20 Apr 2018, 18:37

Kangaroo tail marinated in red wine or brandy, then either poached in the oven with added herbs and spices. Or after marinating for a couple of days in the fridge, you can take it out, smear it in fresh ground peanut butter then baked in the oven. when poached it comes out a bit like pump roast, very tender and tasty.
Dax
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Apr 2018, 18:43

Next week, maybe—thanks for that, Dax.

But soup this weekend, have my heart set on it.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 20 Apr 2018, 19:21

HBS Guy wrote:No way, kangaroo tail soup is wonderful!

Will use half the tail to make stock tomorrow, the other half will be sliced, fried and tipped into the soup at the last minute.

are you opposed to giving the dog something 'wonderful'? you greedy bastard
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Apr 2018, 19:27

Fuck the bitch!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 20 Apr 2018, 23:13

HBS Guy wrote:Fuck the bitch!

Yeah.. umm ... I agree Kangaroo meat is the leanest meanest meat on the planet... BUT....

just be aware

wild meat, particularly mamalian, is subject to viral infection by the toxo virus.
Thats the short name. It is NOT new. AND, it is quite prevalent throughout the world.
Probably the bizarrest life-cycle parasite/virus known.. kangaroos do carry it. As do cows, sheep, humans. CATS... are the main vector, and the main aim, but to get to cats, the virus infects rats. Go figure.?

Well you see the RATS become fearless, and hate Cats, so they attack cats, and get eaten. And the virus is happy. Humans usually get infected by cats, and it is passed on through the womb. A mother can give this virus to her child , all unknowing. She may never have symptoms.

I, on the other hand, as her child, have significant blindness in one area of my left eye... a HUGE black spot, AND... I tend to be utterly fearless.
I need a huge jolt of adrenaline before I recognise danger.

It has been seriously proposed that this virus affects the brain , not just of rats, but of humans as well.

What an amazing world.

It is so amazing, the sorts of life this Earth fosters.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Apr 2018, 21:02

Pizza was nice but very bready—fucking dough just kept rising! The little quail eggs I bought before Tassie were still there. Checked them, couple suss eggs were given to the Mutt (or Miss Quantity not Quality) rest were added to the pizza for the last minute of cooking. Lovely!

The rye bread looks fucking fantastic! Still in the oven (oven turned off.)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 21 Apr 2018, 21:40

yeah

it is hard to realise that we live in a world of danger, sometimes.

Our society, particularly media, and politicians attempt to obfuscate and misdirect our public perceptions. We are all seemingly so absorbed in our 'social' world, we are becoming more and more ignorant and complacent. Once upon a time......when I was young... you trusted to the ethical behaviour of your fellow local. You also trusted your government to keep your food and drug and water supply safe. Now we know this is but illusion. It is the $ that rules.

I mean.. farmed kangaroo may be free of pests and viruses... I'd hope this particular virus IS screened, in the process of making kangaroo meat SAFE for human consumption. But I 'm not convinced.
After all, like wild pork, the potential is always present. And. after all, PROFIT lies behind ALL these 'products'.

Global climate change will have totally unforseen consequences on the nature and quality and safety of our food and water supply. So try to be ware.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 21 Apr 2018, 22:10

HBS Guy wrote:Pizza was nice but very bready—fucking dough just kept rising!

:clap :clap :clap

wife did one of them once ... bloody pizza was at least 5 inches thick by the time it came out of the oven .... worst of all, she'd invited someone over for pizza that evening .... she's never invited anyone for pizza again ... and all her pizzas since have turned out great.

thems the breaks. :roll
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Apr 2018, 07:41

I added the whole packet of dried yeast, half would have been plenty. Was an inch thick base around the edges but sunken in the centre.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Apr 2018, 21:08

Kingfish is fucking lovely, sashimi or cooked!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 23 Apr 2018, 10:00

greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 23 Apr 2018, 21:54

live export should be banned. :sad
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Apr 2018, 10:26

Bit of cooking today:

1. Batch of, what else, ANZAC biscuits. Will need to walk to local BiLo and buy some rolled oats and I better check the dessicated coconut stocks in the pantry too.

2. Nice batch of chicken stock. Reckon chicken and spinach canneloni or ravioli later in the week. Must buy black peppercorns

3. Make some pork pies—have to buy frozen pastry, do not have the knack of making my own and this kitchen is not the place to try to learn. These will be eaten tomorrow. Have pork to be diced, fennel bulb, sachet mushroom sauce, swiss button ’shrooms. Maybe add a bit of chicken stock to the pies?

3. Lastly, grill a couple pieces of garfish boil, slice and shallow fry a couple spuds.

Yeah.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 May 2018, 16:44

Was going to make broodschotel a bread pudding this week, but that can wait.

Got some mascarpone, neufschatel—cheesecake!

Also bought a quince and a couple of pears, stew in half red wine half water with cloves, cinnamon stick and couple star anise stars. Yum!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 May 2018, 19:54

Cheese cake cooked.

Need to buy some cream to put on top.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic