Gardening

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Gardening

Postby Sprintcyclist » 09 Oct 2018, 20:09

HBS Guy wrote:One of those preformed jobs is a possibility. The butyl(?) rubber sheets are pretty bloody pricy from memory.

Any fixed shape pond will require a lot of digging, 300–500mm deeper and wider than the pond, fill with dolomite sand to give the required depth and some protection from movement by the clay.

Would love a nice big ($$$!!!) pond with a “waterfall” a “stream” with “rustic bridge” over it and a “lake” where water lilies can grow, all powered by a couple discreet solar panels. (Water lilies do NOT like water on the tops of their leaves or currents in the water.) Need native fish to eat mosquito larva.

indeedy, the small pond we bought required a lot of digging. then I struck a major root, so could not dig more.
Built up some surroundings with extra soil. It has no waterfall or bridge. Much too small for that.
Is under an existing tree, the shade is good for them.

Course, if you are getting a guy in with a machine to dig holes for trees, move the trees around, rip up some areas, carve in a path - he can dig up the pond zone too !!!!!!!
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Oct 2018, 21:23

Oh man, that brings back memories. . .

I had an orange tree stump. Bloody thing resprouted so muggins decides to dig it out. This was before my hip replacement operation. Dig hole, saw smaller roots. Was one big one, would be a Olympic swimming pool sized hole I would have to dig to be able to saw it. No fucking way! What to do? Drove to Bunnings, bought hatchet, chopped that root. Was like 5 metres long, right across where the pond was going to go. Phew!

Then dig the hole for the pond. Got it a fair way down, 50cm maybe, put in sand, level the sand, plastic then the pond. Had asked for one with no outlet—was going in the ground! Got one WITH an outlet :WTF Oh well, put the pond in the hole, spare plastic on the bottom then sand (river sand) and pots with water plants and one big branch from a self seeded tree come up where 3 fences came together!

Filled it with water, added the one native fish I had then, admired it, staggered inside and collapsed into bed. Next morning, pond half empty. Outlet wasn’t on tight FFS!.

Anyway, worth it:

Feeding the native fish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEReXixiHAQ

Pond is 65cm deep, 1.8m across, 1800L capacity. To install similar in Tasmania would require digging a 3 metre diameter hole 1.2M deep and filling it most of the way with sand, then putting a bloody big, awful swimming pool fence around it. Not inviting.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Oct 2018, 12:39

Email to the guy with the tractor that did the rotary hoeing, sent just now:

I need to get some drainage ditches dug on each side of those strips you rotary hoed for me last March and the soil removed from the ditches added to the strips. Before that I would like the strips ploughed as deep as you can, then the spoil from the ditches put on top. That will make it easier to dig the holes to plant my cider apple and cherry trees.

This would be Monday 14th April 2019. That will give me Sunday to repeg the cider apple trees and peg the cherry trees—they will be planted very differently to how I envisaged originally!

Do you have an augur or other way of digging the holes for the trees? That would really help! You remember how hard that so-called soil is! Finally, I will order a heap of loam, you can grab that and distribute near the planting holes?

So drainage ditches and loam, lift the trees up out of permanent water below the top of the soil, lift it up out of frost (hopefully) because my Tassie location gets more rain than Adelaide and of course is rather cooler which is why I want to move there. Reading “The Apple Grower” and early blossoming trees may lose blossoms to late spring frost so they should not be on the east or west side of the “orchard.” Great, possibly the 1002nd revision of the planting plan of the cider apple trees! :OMG I think I can do things (rocks at base of tree, maybe 3-4 big black plastic drums filled with rainwater to prevent frost—the water can be used to water the tree in summer. Doubt I can use smudge pots in town :rofl :rofl :rofl
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Oct 2018, 13:34

Hmmm

3—4Oct
3—4Oct
4/10—1/11
3—4Oct
3—4Oct
4/10—1/11
3—4Oct
3—4Oct
4/10—1/11
2–3/10?
2–3/10?
1/11

That is the blossom times for my trees.

Earliest is 2-3 Oct, i.e. second and third week of October. There could be frosts then so some protection against frost are needed.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 10 Oct 2018, 15:00

Sounds like good work with the tractor guy.

It is the only way of doing it.
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Oct 2018, 16:15

If I lived there I could do it with pick and shovel, pick a time the clay isn’t so rockhard, as it is. . .tractor guy, HELP!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Oct 2018, 16:22

Sprintcyclist wrote:Sounds like good work with the tractor guy.

What did you think of my pond?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 10 Oct 2018, 21:05

HBS Guy wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:Sounds like good work with the tractor guy.

What did you think of my pond?

Beautiful, lovely colours.
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Oct 2018, 14:50

Emailed tractor guy, no response yet. Sent a text to his phone, will see, bound to be someone else around there has the right machinery. Want him to do the work when I am there, he made some mistakes back in March.

OK, if continuous temperatures of 86°F are expected put red and black currants and gooseberries in shade, mulch ground more heavily. Finally! 86°F is 30°C. Not sure HM continuous days at 30°C will get but obviously currants etc are more shade tolerant. They will go in Row 2 with the cider apples slotted for that row. Will still get nice morning sun. Red currant, black currant, gooseberry or jostaberry (cross black currant and gooseberry.) Probably go for gooseberry despite the thorns, prefer heritage varieties.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Oct 2018, 14:58

Gooseberries are the least cold tolerant and because they flower early in spring need some protection against late spring frost. So plant it near an early-blooming cider apple tree, extend the frost protection measures, will give better protection to the cider apple tree.

Creating berms to plant the trees/currants etc into helps a bit against frost as well: a decent slope to the land would help but it is as it is. Get the ditches done, add some more sand maybe and bought loam, create a nice berm 20cm high (after everything settles down, soil always settles a bit after digging.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Oct 2018, 15:59

Brambles aka drupe fruits, raspberries and blackberries (and their hybrids) love sun.

You cannot give a blackberry too much heat or too much humidity!

Doubt I will plant blackberries unless I can find a seedless type. Birds get to my blackberries there is just WAY too much vacant land around here where blackberries can grow from the seed shat out of a bird. No way do I want that put down to me!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Oct 2018, 16:06

Rhubarb wants full sun too, so in the vege or herb patch not under trees. Probably keep part of the raspberry row for a double row of rhubarb, 5-6 plants.

I assume rhubarb freezes OK? Or stew it and can it, add some lemon juice to increase acidity.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Oct 2018, 16:30

Blackberry—declared a noxious weed in Tassie, not for sale there. Raspberry isn’t mentioned and nurseries sell them so won’t go feral.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 14 Oct 2018, 09:00

I just started organising my vege patch at my new place.

I don't have a lot of options in regards to location because of the layout of the house/pool/shed etc, but i have a strip of about 10 m x 1200 mm along the pool fence which was full of ornamental plants. It will get a lot of sunshine once the damn rain goes away so will be well suited to grow veges.

I've been ripping them out the plants and digging out the pebbles (hate the damn rocks), replacing rotten wooden sleepers with concrete ones, back filling with bags of soil blended to grow veges, and so far I've planted tomatoes, capsicum (three types) and lettuce. ... and I'm only half way along. Also going to try some beans and some cucumber.

I also want to grow a passion fruit vine along the pool fence. It might sound crazy, but pool is at back of house, and my outdoor area is on the side. The house is a H shape so from where we sit in the outdoor area, we can't see the pool fence anyway so I may as well put the fence to good use since the aesthetics don't matter.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby DonDeeHippy » 14 Oct 2018, 10:15

johnsmith wrote:I just started organising my vege patch at my new place.

I don't have a lot of options in regards to location because of the layout of the house/pool/shed etc, but i have a strip of about 10 m x 1200 mm along the pool fence which was full of ornamental plants. It will get a lot of sunshine once the damn rain goes away so will be well suited to grow veges.

I've been ripping them out the plants and digging out the pebbles (hate the damn rocks), replacing rotten wooden sleepers with concrete ones, back filling with bags of soil blended to grow veges, and so far I've planted tomatoes, capsicum (three types) and lettuce. ... and I'm only half way along. Also going to try some beans and some cucumber.

I also want to grow a passion fruit vine along the pool fence. It might sound crazy, but pool is at back of house, and my outdoor area is on the side. The house is a H shape so from where we sit in the outdoor area, we can't see the pool fence anyway so I may as well put the fence to good use since the aesthetics don't matter.

the only thing I think is crazy is than more ppl don't grow edible gardens around their homes..
Choko vines r also really good and very hard to kill ;) :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 14 Oct 2018, 10:28

DonDeeHippy wrote:

the only thing I think is crazy is than more ppl don't grow edible gardens around their homes..

I agree. I never understood why people dedicate hours to grow a useless flowers or shrubs, when with the same time, hey can grow fresh vege's to eat. If it were up to me all the palms and eucalyptus trees on my property (about 24) would have been cut down in the first week, and replaced with edible fruit bearing trees...... but wifey dearest likes her palms (cause she never has to deal with the mess).

i don't like/eat choko's .
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby DonDeeHippy » 14 Oct 2018, 10:47

johnsmith wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:

I agree. I never understood why people dedicate hours to grow a useless flowers or shrubs, when with the same time, hey can grow fresh vege's to eat. If it were up to me all the palms and eucalyptus trees on my property (about 24) would have been cut down in the first week, and replaced with edible fruit bearing trees...... but wifey dearest likes her palms (cause she never has to deal with the mess).

i don't like/eat choko's .

It's a great feeling to give away produce u grow.... Give the choko's away and feel great ;)
I don't know much about dates..... but could they be planted.... palms and food :)
Coconuts as well :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 14 Oct 2018, 10:49

With trees I'm going to put in peach, nectarines and figs.

I'm just waiting for wifey dearest to find a job, then while she's at work, out will come my chainsaw to make some room.
By the time she gets home it'll be to late :gsp
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby DonDeeHippy » 14 Oct 2018, 10:51

Good old Wal (footrot flats fan) :purple
DonDeeHippy
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 14 Oct 2018, 10:52

DonDeeHippy wrote:Good old Wal (footrot flats fan) :purple

Used to love footrot flats. :yellow
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Oct 2018, 16:21

There will be argy bargy at casa Smith that can be heard in the next suburb :bgrin

But yeah, grow some veges. Broadbeans must be the easiest veges to grow, grow nothing else, pick, pod, parboil, dry, bag, shove into freezer. Don’t plant too early, 1.5m broadbean stalks too vulnerable to winter storms.

Spinach/chard/silverbeet nearly as easy. A few snail pellets or beer traps to keep snails at bay is all it takes. Pick and come again broccoli.

Anyone pretty much can grow a lemon tree. And peach.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 14 Oct 2018, 16:31

HBS Guy wrote:There will be argy bargy at casa Smith that can be heard in the next suburb :bgrin

But yeah, grow some veges. Broadbeans must be the easiest veges to grow, grow nothing else, pick, pod, parboil, dry, bag, shove into freezer. Don’t plant too early, 1.5m broadbean stalks too vulnerable to winter storms.

Spinach/chard/silverbeet nearly as easy. A few snail pellets or beer traps to keep snails at bay is all it takes. Pick and come again broccoli.

Anyone pretty much can grow a lemon tree. And peach.

House already has a lemon tree .... in need of some desperate pruning though. On my to do list

Summer starts early here, i don't get winter frosts in winter.

I'll have to try some of your suggestions. I'm a greenhorn when it comes to growing veges so the easier to grow, the better for my ego. Apart from a few tomatoes in pots I've never had the opportunity to try other things until now.
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Oct 2018, 16:45

Tomatoes are easy. Need lime—check soil pH, if acid to neutral dig in dolomite, else dig in gypsum. Dig in TONS of organic matter, I use two bags compost to one bag cow manure. Keep the water up. Two spotted mite and black fly main problems—spray sulphur dioxide. Alternately spray seaweed extract. If you get blossom end rot a spray of epson salts is good.

Greenleaf veges: chard, cabbage, lettuce, endive needs nitrogen—cow manure is good.

Beans—need lime.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 14 Oct 2018, 16:49

don't complicate things monk.
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby Sprintcyclist » 14 Oct 2018, 16:53

johnsmith wrote:With trees I'm going to put in peach, nectarines and figs.

I'm just waiting for wifey dearest to find a job, then while she's at work, out will come my chainsaw to make some room.
By the time she gets home it'll be to late :gsp

that might not lead to matrimonial harmony or the best end result for your garden
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic