Benefits of exercise

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Benefits of exercise

Postby HBS Guy » 04 May 2015, 17:58

In the broader of the two studies, researchers with the National Cancer Institute, Harvard University and other institutions gathered and pooled data about people’s exercise habits from six large, ongoing health surveys, winding up with information about more than 661,000 adults, most of them middle-aged.

Using this data, the researchers stratified the adults by their weekly exercise time, from those who did not exercise at all to those who worked out for 10 times the current recommendations or more (meaning that they exercised moderately for 25 hours per week or more).

Then they compared 14 years’ worth of death records for the group.

They found that, unsurprisingly, the people who did not exercise at all were at the highest risk of early death.

But those who exercised a little, not meeting the recommendations but doing something, lowered their risk of premature death by 20 percent.

Those who met the guidelines precisely, completing 150 minutes per week of moderate exercise, enjoyed greater longevity benefits and 31 percent less risk of dying during the 14-year period compared with those who never exercised.

The sweet spot for exercise benefits, however, came among those who tripled the recommended level of exercise, working out moderately, mostly by walking, for 450 minutes per week, or a little more than an hour per day. Those people were 39 percent less likely to die prematurely than people who never exercised.

At that point, the benefits plateaued, the researchers found, but they never significantly declined. Those few individuals engaging in 10 times or more the recommended exercise dose gained about the same reduction in mortality risk as people who simply met the guidelines.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/04/1 ... ign=buffer

So, sitting 18 hours a day behind a keyboard is not life enhancing, especially when your diet is TV dinners and pizza. I *did* tell IQ I would outlive him :roll :bgrin Proof positive now :jump
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Benefits of exercise

Postby Lefty » 04 May 2015, 23:02

Be fair on IQ, it's not like he had a choice to do anything but sit by himself in front of a keyboard all day every day - the world has rejected him :bgrin

Can't imagine why :roll
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 04 May 2015, 23:09

bwahahahaha
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Cherie » 11 May 2015, 22:46

oh you two- so cheeky :bgrin
Honor to God.

Loyalty to the Country Woman's Association.
Cherie
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 11 May 2015, 22:53

But IQ is happy, now Dominos have $5 pizzas he can afford garlic bread at times. :roll :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 12 May 2015, 20:34

And he's lucky they take orders over the internet - they don't serve cretinous dickheads in their stores :jump Shouldn't really joke about it but I reckon he's the type to run off, join Islamic State and blow himself up (though he'd probably phuk that up as well)
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby xbz2011 » 21 Sep 2015, 15:20

Did I mention I just had a King William Boost Juice, cheese tomato and onion toasted sandwich, cappuchino and a chocolate donut from Donut King both of whom Boost Juice and Donut King I have loyalty cards. Do you think I should sign up for The Biggest Loser?
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands. Douglas Adams
xbz2011
Jack Russell

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Sep 2015, 15:40

Ummm sounds like you might be getting there :roll :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 21 Sep 2015, 16:32

Sounds like he may have been there some time ago :jump
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby xbz2011 » 24 Sep 2015, 17:20

By the way I am a 49 year old female well I was last time I checked :bgrin
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands. Douglas Adams
xbz2011
Jack Russell

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Sep 2015, 19:28

Dangerous time for being overweight—hard to lose it!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Off Topic