Operation chowhound an untold story

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Operation chowhound an untold story

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Apr 2015, 19:00

Naturally, this hits close to home for me. 1944, the failure of the Harlem battle to grab a bridge over the Rhine saw the provinces of North Holland and South Holland still occupied with the nazis grabbing everything especially food and shipping it to Germany. The article talks of Dutch people eating tulip bulbs and Mum was reduced to that, plus subsisting on a big bag of brown beans.

Stephen Dando-Collins
Tuesday 14 April 2015 Download audio
Stephen Dando-Collins tells of a daring WW2 mission to drop food to the starving, Nazi-occupied Dutch.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/201 ... 215654.htm

Stephen is a prolific historian whose writing and research encompass the ancient and modern worlds.

His latest exploration has been the true story of Operation Chowhound: a secret bomber operation where no bombs were used.

At the end of World War II, the people of occupied Holland were starving. The country's produce was sent to feed Germany, and they were reduced to eating nettles and tulip bulbs.

The Nazi government agreed to turn a blind eye as allied bombers air-dropped a huge amount of food onto Dutch territory. The mission was a great success and prevented a catastrophe.

Many of the American air crews named the food drops as their most significant mission of the war. Says Stephen, "they hated delivering death and here they were, delivering life".

The story of Operation Chowhound has a cast of characters that includes Winston Churchill, a young Audrey Hepburn and Ian Fleming, the creator of James Bond.

Not only that I have a tile celebrating the operation:
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Operation chowhound an untold story

Postby Aussie » 15 Apr 2015, 19:15

Yeas.....great tale. Heard that live on the ABC late last week. Richard Fydler's Conversations. It airs each week day at 11.00 am in Queensland. That was a bewdy.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby Aussie » 15 Apr 2015, 19:18

If I recall.......scheduled (i.e. ~ agreed to by the Germans) food drops from Allied bombers into starving Holland. Some were fired on by mistake. They (as arranged) dropped a green flare....and the Germans stopped shooting to allow the drop to proceed.

Good stuff.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Apr 2015, 19:25

Without it I might not be here—Mum was bloody close to actual starvation.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Apr 2015, 19:30

“Voedsel Vrede Vreiheid” or Food, Peace and Freedom, good things to have. Illustrates too my long held contention that nothing is more political than food.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Apr 2015, 19:46

[youtube]http://youtube/c6r66DCvp9I[/youtube]

Silent video of Op Chowhound. (Real name: Operation Manna. Both names pretty descriptive.)

Wow:
Voedsel Vrede Vrijheid

Tile from the Royal Delft factory (de Porceleyne Fles) commemorating the Allied food drop (Operations Manna and Chowhound) over the Netherlands between April 29 and May 5, 1945.

http://sandradodd.com/leiden/tile

(Aussie edit ~ Tried to fix that link Monk. Dinna work.)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 15 Apr 2015, 20:11

See if this link works.

You have that tile, Monk. Wonder what that is worth these days?
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Apr 2015, 20:55

I have the tile, it will be cemented into my kitchen wall eventually. No idea what is would be worth and no I am not going to sell it. Can tell you it cost Mum eight “gulden” as the Dutch currency is known after the war.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Apr 2015, 23:54

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 16 Apr 2015, 06:50

That tile says "lest we forget" just as much as any ANZAC memorial! Thank Christ the Germans allowed it - they could well have feared a double-cross and shot down all the food transport planes.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Apr 2015, 08:05

Would have been mass starvation of the Dutch population in the provinces of North and South Holland—I was born in South Holland.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 02 Jun 2017, 11:12

A recent event and Article on the Topic.

Link.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Jun 2017, 12:59

They are describing Mum!

She ate tulip bulbs that last, Hunger Winter, of the war, she walked from farm to farm begging food. She was, really, starving to death in the last months of the war. Dad, home, liberated and fed by yanks, was fat and healthy to find his wife thin and on the verge of starvation.

The glory of war. Nah.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Off Topic