RIP Neil Armstrong

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: RIP Neil Armstrong

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Oct 2013, 21:36

Leroy @Leroy_Lynch
Former Democrats leader Janet Powell has died, aged 71 http://www.theage.com.au/national/forme ... 2uqm8.html … by @CanberraCamper #auspol sad news http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/sea ... nt=Default
6:48 PM - 1 Oct 2013

Former Democrats leader Janet Powell dies
Former Australian Democrats leader Janet Powell has died, aged 71.

The Age @theage

Name Powell rings a bell but can’t really place the person.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Oct 2013, 21:37

Leroy @Leroy_Lynch
Former Democrats leader Janet Powell has died, aged 71 http://www.theage.com.au/national/forme ... 2uqm8.html … by @CanberraCamper #auspol sad news http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/sea ... nt=Default
6:48 PM - 1 Oct 2013

Former Democrats leader Janet Powell dies
Former Australian Democrats leader Janet Powell has died, aged 71.

The Age @theage

http://www.theage.com.au/national/forme ... 2uqm8.html

Name Powell rings a bell but can’t really place the person. Guess I will have to read the links.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Oct 2013, 08:37

General Giap died today. Hero of Dien Bien Phu, the French “impregnable” fortress in North Viet Nam that Giap besieged and captured!

Legendary Vietnamese general Vo Nguyen Giap dies aged 102

Legendary Vietnamese general Vo Nguyen Giap, whose guerrilla tactics defeated the French and American armies, has died aged 102.

The founding father of the Vietnam People's Army, Giap was regarded as one of Vietnam's most revered figures - second only to late revolutionary leader Ho Chi Minh.

Giap masterminded the Tet Offensive against US troops in 1968, which is often cited as major factor that led to the Americans' withdrawal from the Vietnam War.

"I can confirm that general Giap died at 6:08pm [on Friday]," a government source told AFP on condition of anonymity.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-05/v ... es/5000566

Fuck—102!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Dec 2013, 09:53

RIP Peter O’Toole:

Peter O'Toole, star of Lawrence of Arabia, dies aged 81

Irish actor Peter O'Toole, the star of the 1962 Oscar-winning epic Lawrence of Arabia, has died aged 81, his agent Steve Kenis said.

"He was one of a kind in the very best sense and a giant in his field," Mr Kenis said.

O'Toole was famed for his intense blue eyes, a fondness for drinking and a career on stage and screen that spanned 50 years, ranging from drama and Shakespeare to romantic comedy.

Tributes have been flowing for the film legend, who died at London's Wellington hospital after a long illness.

O'Toole's daughter, actress Kate O'Toole, says the family was "completely overwhelmed by the outpouring of real love and affection".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-16/p ... 81/5158086
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 16 Dec 2013, 12:03

I liked that movie :jump
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Dec 2013, 14:09

yeah, was Ok, dragged on a bit.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 16 Dec 2013, 17:04

Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Dec 2013, 20:05

maybe it was news about O’Toole?

Oscar-winning actress Joan Fontaine, who rose to fame during Hollywood’s golden age as the star of several Alfred Hitchcock classics, has died aged 96, US media reported.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-16/a ... es/5159366
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Mar 2014, 23:45

Vale both Fat Ladies

Loved their non–politically correct cooking.

The last Fat Lady died today:

Clarissa Dickson Wright, one of the Two Fat Ladies, died yesterday aged 66.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/wo ... 857930845#

Despite being born into wealth and privilege she had an applalling childhood. Here’s an interview she did some time ago.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2003/feb/13/gender.uk

(from PBX)

The other Fat Lady, Jennifer Patterson died some years ago, of cancer:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/wo ... mm-premium

(A VERY rare link to the national shit sheet.)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Apr 2014, 16:02

Mickey Rooney dead at 93

Actor Mickey Rooney, the pint-sized screen dynamo of the 1930s and 1940s best known for his boy-next-door role in the Andy Hardy movies, has died aged 93.

(ABC)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Apr 2014, 21:37

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Aug 2014, 09:34

ITV News
View this content on ITV News's website
Robin Williams dies aged 63 from 'apparent suicide'

Comedia Robin Williams has died aged 63 from an apparent suicide, California's Sheriff Department has said.

Wow, suicide?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Austranger » 12 Aug 2014, 09:41

oops, didn't see this here till after I posted a valedictory thread on this.
Suicide though?
Hard to believe, but then again, the classic sad clown perchance?
A Zen master once said to me, "Do the opposite of whatever I tell you." So I didn't.
Any day with a smile in it is a good day
Austranger
mountain lion

spamone: Animal

Postby Aussie » 12 Aug 2014, 10:42

Austranger wrote:oops, didn't see this here till after I posted a valedictory thread on this.
Suicide though?
Hard to believe, but then again, the classic sad clown perchance?

There have been comments for ages about his stability.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Aug 2014, 10:51

Mentions on twitter of bipolar, depression, battling the bottle. Still sad.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 12 Aug 2014, 21:54

Spent his life making others laugh, only to be claimed by depression himself :b
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Aug 2014, 10:39

BREAKING: Lauren Bacall dead at 89
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Austranger » 13 Aug 2014, 10:53

Confirmed, of a stroke.
Oh sweet denizen of my dreams, Femme Fatale of my fevered teens, fair Lady of Light, you will be mourned.
A Zen master once said to me, "Do the opposite of whatever I tell you." So I didn't.
Austranger
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Sep 2014, 07:44

TeemstrayaVermeera ‏@Vermeera 7m
Northern Ireland leader Ian Paisley dies at 88Northern Ireland leader Ian Paisley dies at age 88 http://wapo.st/1AFYQJo via @washingtonpost

View summary

If there was an afterlife I bet Ian would be finding things a bit warm!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Austranger » 13 Sep 2014, 08:25

If there really were any justice in this world or the next right about now he would be doing an imitation of a marshmallow, on a pitchfork!
Any man who uses a god of love, supposedly, to justify death and injury, especially to children, deserves to be burnt at the stake, and let his god sort him out!
Austranger
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Sep 2014, 08:36

A hatemonger and rabble rouser, little different to ISIS etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Austranger » 13 Sep 2014, 09:01

Strange isn't it, Islam, Israel and Christianity all share the same god, supposedly a god of love and peace, yet what is the body-count in his name?
It would run into millions by now, one could even make a very good case for claiming that their god demands human sacrifices, the record is indisputable!
Austranger
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Sep 2014, 09:31

Abrahamist religions have this bloodlust that Hindu and Buddhist religions don’t. Nazism arose in a Christian country and won support partly by fuelling hatred of Jews/Judaism. Today the Jews are doing to Palestinians what Hitler did to them. All those landgrabs on the West Bank is theft pure and simple.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Austranger » 13 Sep 2014, 11:25

While I would have to say I support the Israeli side of that war, and it really is a war, I do agree with your point about the land grabs, they are an act of sheer idiocy under the circumstances.
I get quite antsy about accusations of the Israeli's acting like Nazis though, if there were any truth to that then almost every Western nation is similarly guilty. The simple fact is that Israel is a tiny nation completely surrounded by enemies who have and do actively fund and support a violent and inhuman resolution to their existence, who are, in effect, still attempting to finish the Nazi's "Final Solution".
They've tried a military solution a couple of times but a combination of their own innate corruption and incompetence with the innovation, strength and idealism of the Israelis has seen them well and truly slapped down.
Austranger
mountain lion

Postby Lefty » 02 Nov 2014, 22:09

RIP Bundy - mum and dad's fox terrier :sad . He had been increasingly frail for the past six or eight months. For the past six weeks, he had difficulty walking with his legs continuously going from under him. On Saturday morning he could finally no longer stand up at all. Dad has just had an operation and couldn't carry him and nor could mum so I had to take him into the vet, where he was given a lethal injection (which is a massive overdose of anasthetic).

Took him down into their back yard and buried him beside Doogie and Butch. He will be sadly missed but at least he is no longer in pain.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic