Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Nov 2009, 19:43

Hmmmmmmm eating a fantastic juicy rock melon with some lovely tangy prosciutto. Soooooo delicious!

Tomorrow, some pasta with tomato sauce then chicken involtini with spinach and a few boiled new potatoes. Pannetone for desert if there is any room :)
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Dec 2009, 21:12

Fuck! Only one entry in the food thread? Hmmmm :grn

Well, just finished some more yummy Maggie beer icecream, quince & bitter almond. Very good, but not smoooooth like I love in an icecream. Yummmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyyy but not my fave,

Picky cunt, aren't I?
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 02 Dec 2009, 21:23

I ate a steak sandwich for dinner.

Boring I know :bgrin

Was thinking I might get enough mangos for a nice Burmese pork curry but I think I will be in South Oz by the time they ripen - fuck all fruit under these conditions.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Dec 2009, 21:35

Recipe????
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 02 Dec 2009, 21:46

Will have to look it up again.

Quite sweet and fruity - as you would expect.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Dec 2009, 22:06

That'd be the mango I guess :roll :purple
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Dec 2009, 17:49

Hmmm thai lime roast chicken for dinner tonight.

Won't start that for another couple hours yet, too fucking hot!

Will do the cheese cake first
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Dec 2009, 21:43

Will have to do the fucking cheesecake tomorrow. My stove is fucked so it is taking too fucking long to cook the fucking chicken and I am fucking hungry! The delicious smells coming from the kitchen does not make the hunger less! AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Dec 2009, 22:23

Hmmm chicken was worth waiting for! Can taste the tumeric! Yum!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Dec 2009, 18:54

FUCK!!! the cheesecake I cooked has a big fucking crack on the top! Sob!

Oh well, quickly cover with the berries & currants :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Dec 2009, 19:54

Man, it is seriously good! Smmmmooooooooootttthhhhhhhh and rich. Sumptuous!

Yet there is some crunch from the macadamia & choc chip desert dip I put on the bottom of the springform.

Fucking filling too!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Dec 2009, 20:34

Hmmmmm I do love dill gherkin! Bought a 3Kg jar of them, will finish them by New Years I bet! Crunch!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Senexx » 08 Dec 2009, 21:31

What is prosciutto?
Aussie cannot be trusted - Guaranteed Betrayal
Senexx
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Dec 2009, 22:07

Prosciutto is Parma ham. Buy it in an Italian butcher/food shop. Sliced really thin delicious with rock or honeydew melon, nice and tangy.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Dec 2009, 11:22

As always, my mind is turning to what to contribute to the Christmass dinner.

I am thinking a potato salad. Not one of these things that look like white bricks cemented by cum.

Think new season, small, yellow-fleshed waxy potatoes, steamed in jackets until just this side of completely cooked. Cool, toss in butter, sprinkle with paprika. I will make some sort of green salad to put the potatoes on, pour over dressing just before serving. I am thinking of dressing this up with some of the superb WA sardines, either bought already cooked and marinated, or cook the sardines myself with fennel seed or fennel bulb sliced thinly (some of this can go in the green salad too.) Place sardines radiating out from the salad, with a dill gherkin in between.

Now, that's what I call a potato salad! Will need a huge plate to put it all on.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Cherie » 09 Dec 2009, 13:30

I was very interested in that recipe until you mentioned sardines :b

I have a recipe for potaoe salad based on a german recipe someone very kindly shared with me..
The ingredients include dill/pickles and sour cream/mayonaisse/egg , if your interested.
Honor to God.

Loyalty to the Country Woman's Association.
Cherie
Jaguar

Postby mantra » 09 Dec 2009, 13:34

That sounds nice Auzgurl. Post the recipe. I'm always looking for good salad recipes. I agree with you about the sardines and the potato salad - very strange combination. If you had to use any fish at all - I would finely chop a couple of anchovies and mix it into the salad.
mantra

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Dec 2009, 13:52

Don't forget these are fresh, not canned, sardines. Well, it was just a suggestion--think I will road trial that this weekend. Can dress it up a bit, a few onion rings overlapping down the length of the sardines
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Dec 2009, 17:15

went to Farmers Market and bought a whole kilogram of fresh, picked-quite-ripe cherries for only $8.00!! Gonna gorge on the bastards! Also bought blackberries fresh fresh fresh eat them with icecream oh yeah i will!!!!!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Dec 2009, 18:23

Looking for a fave chicken curry.

I have chicken :roll and onon, ginger, chilies, garlic, curry leaves, a lime, kaffir lime leaves, lemon grass growing by the back veranda and all the usual spices: star anise, cardamom, nutmeg, mace bark, cinnamon stick, turmeric, fenugreek yadda yadda.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Dec 2009, 18:46

Hmmm Red chicken curry with bamboo shoots. because I am bloody hungry will use the excellent bought thai red curry paste I get from the chinese shop at the Central Market. Will take some to work tomorrow and nuke it and have it for lunch.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mantra » 13 Dec 2009, 19:23

Every time I read this thread - it makes me hungry. I've got a bowl of salad, tiny bit of chicken and some tuna for dinner. There's no point in cooking large meals - they won't get eaten. What do you do with all the food in your garden Monk? You'd have to give it away or do you eat everything you grow and cook?
mantra

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Dec 2009, 20:01

Mostly eat it, like to share some and preserve some, peach butter, sundried tomatoes etc. a big meal half is kept and I freeze it or just microwave it for lunch at the shop, etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Dec 2009, 20:09

Here you go Mantra: a rich sauce made from coconut milk, thai red curry, fish sauce, gleaming red from the chili oil on top, with chicken and bamboo shoot in is depths, garnished with red chili and kaffir lime leaves. spicy! whoooo!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mantra » 13 Dec 2009, 20:49

Too late. I've just had a half bowl of my bland chicken salad - it's done its job. The sauce sounds delicious except for the coconut milk - too rich. I might make a red curry tomorrow though - if it's not too hot a day.
mantra

Next

Return to Off Topic