Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby Ethnic » 16 May 2010, 22:25

HBS Guy wrote:Aren't dogs great? :purple

Dogs suck. The real estate fuckwit came over to evaluate our house and the dog kindly started dragging her arse along the lawn right in front of him. I don't think that adds value to a house.
Ethnic

Postby HBS Guy » 17 May 2010, 08:15

Still looking to buy a new house?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 17 May 2010, 19:37

Small almond puddings (Mrs Beeton) makes 4-5 small puddings

250g almond meal/ground almonds
125g butter
4 eggs
2 tbsp caster sugar
2 tbsp cream
1 tbsp brandy

Mix almonds to a smooth paste with a spoonful water. Warm the butter, mix the almonds with this, add the other ingredients "leaving out 2 eggwhites and be particular that these are wellbeaten [I assume this means fold the meringue into the almond-egg etc mix.]

Mix well, butter some small moulds, half fill them and bake the puddings in a moderate oven (180°C) for 20-30 minutes (I would put them in a bain marie I think!) turn out the puddings. will serve with apricot sauce and whipped cream.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 17 May 2010, 20:41

Almond puddings in the oven!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 17 May 2010, 21:47

Man they are gooooood! eating mine with apricot sauce & whipped cream! Healthy!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 May 2010, 18:18

Paid a visit to Chile Mojo (381 Magill Rd, www.chilemojo.com.au) this afternoon. Looking for chipotle chili sauce got a chipotle and roasted tomatillo sauce! Heat rating 4 (up to 10 is natural chilis, heat ratings over 10 contain capsaicin extract.

Also got a can of chipotle in adobe, whack that into blender and make chipotle paste, great in sweet and savoury dishes. Also got fresh tortillas--gonna have some fun cooking Mexican this weekend!

Also got some premium Dutch cocoa--for cooking rather than drinking--and Mex cooking does use chocolate in some dishes. Gonna be fun!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 21 May 2010, 09:18

Two recipes from Leda Scheintaub "Chipotle, smoky hot recipes for all occasions"

Chipotles are smoked jalapeno chilis. Get them from Chile Mojo in Adelaide or any really good deli/market elsewhere.

Recipe 1 -- Chipotle Paste
Makes 1 cup

4 garlic cloves
200g canned chipotles in adobo
half small white onion minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground cumin

Get blender going, drop in the garlic cloves, add all the other ingredients and process until blended. For Asian dishes add minced lemon grass & ginger, etc

Keeps for 2 weeks in fridge or several months in freezer

Recipe 2 -- Hot, sweet & sour shrimp (prawns)

2 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tbsp sherry (or, I guess, chinese rice wine or verjuice)
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp tamarind paste
2 tbsp packed light brown sugar (I will use the Billington's dark muscovado sugar)
2 tbsp chipotle paste
1/2 tsp ground ginger
450 g large prawns, Australian of course, peeled & deveined
1 tbsp oil
2 medium carrots cut into thin diagonal strips
2 celery stalks, cut into thin diagonal strips
1 medium brown onion, cut into thin diagonal strips
1 capsicum, cut into thin strips
1/4 cup chopped peanuts (I will use cashews or pistachios) for garnish
cooked white rice.

Marinade:
Combine soy sauce, orange juice,sherry, vinegar, tamarind paste, chipotle paste and ginger in a small bow, whisk to combine and dissolve the sugar. Place the prawns in a bowl and toss with 1tbsp of the marinade, bung into fridge and leave to marinade 15 minutes.

Cooking:
In a skillet or wok heat the oil, add the prawns, stirfry 2 minutes or until just cooked, remove prawns and set aside. Add more oil to pan if needed and cook carrots and celery for 2 minutes until slightly softened, add the onion and pepper and cook for another 2 minutes until the veges are crisp-tender.

Whisk the reserved marinade and add with the shrimp to the wok/skillet. Cook, stirring, until cooked through and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Serve with rice, add the chopped nuts for a garnish.

will be cooking this tomorrow! Great Ring of Fire!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 21 May 2010, 09:19

If you like chilis, there is a great little book, cost me just $9.95:

"Chile pepper book, a fiesta of fiery, flavorful recipes" by Carolyn Dille and Susan Bellsinger.

Chilis are very good for you, chockfull of vitamins and anti-oxidants!

hahahahaha one of the bottles of chili sauce was called "Fuckin' Hot"
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 21 May 2010, 11:19

Any one have a good refried beans recipe? Enchiladas, rellende?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 21 May 2010, 11:25

From Chile Mojo website:

Summer Chili
Classic chili con carne calls for cuts of beef usually reserved for long-stewing recipes. Summer Chili is a barbecued quick version using choice grilling steaks.
INGREDIENTS: 1.5 kg striploin or tenderloin/fillet beef, cut into grilling steaks 4 Tbsp. vegetable oil 2 medium brown onions, diced 4 cloves garlic, sliced 1 x 400gm can chopped tomato 1 green capsicum, diced 2 fresh whole Jalapeno or Serrano chiles, slit 3-4 times 2 tsp. salt 5 Tbsp. (50gm) chili powder* 900ml water 4 Tbsp. wheat or rice flour

Directions:
Fire up the BBQ (if using charcoal). Warm a large cookpot to medium heat. Add vegetable oil, onions and garlic, cook until onions are softened and glassy; about 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients (except beef and flour). Bring to a low boil then lower heat and simmer 15 minutes. In the last few minutes whisk flour into the mix, briskly to avoid little dumplings. While chili is simmering, grill steaks (dusted with black pepper and salt) to medium-rare. Cut into cubes and add to thickened chili while still hot.

Service:
Remove whole chiles, reserve for the hothead in your group. As always, chili can be served with flour or corn tortillas, over rice or just in a bowl with cornbread or corn chips. Top with a dollop of sour cream, a blast of hot sauce and some sliced spring onions for colour. This chili, in particular, would love some sliced avocado or guacamole.

*chili powder, with this distinct spelling, is a mix of Mexican chiles, cumin, Mexican oregano, coriander seed and garlic.
Blend your own or find a mix made by a passionate and reputable local merchant.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby annielaurie » 21 May 2010, 11:42

We have several authentic mexican restaurants here where I live. These are two of my favorite dishes!

Enchiladas verdes: green enchiladas made with green enchilada sauce composed of tomatillos and green chilis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enchilada#Varieties

Chili relleno: stuffed green chili peppers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chile_relleno

But I'll bet whatever you are gonna be cooking will taste terrific no matter what it really is ..

:giggle
annielaurie
Administrator

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 21 May 2010, 11:50

Hmmmm those look good!

Good thing is, now I am not working 6 days a week I can do more fancy cooking!

Also bought a book in freezer cooking--so I can make a full scale recipe (always hard to scale down recipes from 6 to 2 say, what is 1/3 of 1/4tsp of salt? How much less pepper to grind in?--and freeze the remainder if suitable. Was only $1 at a book sale so a quick read will give some dos and don'ts.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 22 May 2010, 21:18

Just shelled & deveined nearly a kilo of prawns for the hot sweet sour prawn recipe above. Only raw prawns available were little ones, took half an hour to do all of them! Nevermind, that is the hard work done!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 22 May 2010, 23:14

Ooohhhh fuck but those hot sweet sour shrimp were good! Bu u u u u u r r r p p p!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 May 2010, 17:44

About to dry roast a heap of tomatoes: wash tomatoes, slice in half horizontally, put on enameled roasting tray, if need be cut a small slice off the bottom so tomato is horizontal. Sprinkle lightly with caster sugar, salt and pepper and a few drops EVOO, bung into 180 oven for 2 hours until nearly dried out. Concentrates the tomato flavor--of course there has to be flavor there in the first place! No supermarket tomatoes!!!

Will then blenderise the bastards and add to 2l chicken stock with lots of basil and turn them into a chicken-tomato-basil soup with a chicken breast cut up into small cubes. Maybe add a little finely sliced celery, tad carrot slices. Maybe a traspoon of my chipotle paste to zing it up a bit.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Ethnic » 23 May 2010, 18:33

You seem to be really loving retirement!
Ethnic

Postby HBS Guy » 23 May 2010, 18:45

Oh fuck yeah! Before, I could really only do fancy cooking on Sunday (my only free day) now i can cook as i want any fuckling day of the week and have the time to visit fine food places like Chile Mojo.

Tomatoes been dry roasting for 30 minutes right now! Big heap of (Thai) basil in the kitchen, waiting pulling off the leaves etc.

7.14pm Chicken breast fillet cut up and simmering in some stock with basil. Couple of minutes to go then tomatoes ready, will pass them through the moulie, add the pulp with more basil to the chicken, add some cut up celery and simmer all for a minute, check for seasoning etc. Serve in soup plates with spoon cream in each, softening the tart tomato.

7.30pm everything combined, will let soup slowly simmer 20 minutes. gonna be good! Chucked in a heap of chopped up basil leaves.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 May 2010, 20:56

Soup is fantastic!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 24 May 2010, 19:54

Am on my lonesome tonight, so just eating reheated leftover soup from yesterday. Stirred in a tbsp chipotle paste--fuck it is hot! good tho!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 24 May 2010, 21:29

Found two books of Mrs Beeton recipes but they are not complete, have another one somewhere that I think is an early version of the complete book. Had to look up on the net what 1 gill of milk was--140ml. A fucking gill, not sure I remember that from primary school where we did daily mental arithmetic with all sorts of weird units, poles, perch or rod, chains etc.

Looking especially for pudding recipes for these cold Adelaide winter nights.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Ethnic » 24 May 2010, 21:30

I have a shocking day at work and have been asleep from 4-8. Haven't eaten yet and don't feel like cooking. Vegemite sandwiches, here I come. Need to start expanding the garden so I can just snack on veges when really tired.
Ethnic

Postby HBS Guy » 24 May 2010, 21:36

Poor dear! Hope hubby is rubbing your poor feet and cooking dinn. . .ah Vegemite sangos {shudder}

Have a Coopers and relax?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Ethnic » 24 May 2010, 21:53

Hubby is nowhere to be found, stuck at work. I don't think he has ever rubbed my feet. Wouldn't want to rub his feet. Ugh! Smells like the smelly bastards rolled around in Kim Beazley's sweaty armptis for a few hours. How the hell do people even make these smells?????

Now the Coopers idea I like. Might buy some of their low carb stuff and see what that's like. In the meatime, Pale Ale awaits.....
Ethnic

Postby HBS Guy » 30 May 2010, 12:44

Bought a couple bottles of a nice crisp Sauvignon Blanc at the Farmers Market this morning. this evening as the Wagyu beef roast comes out two whole pears in a wine-sugar syrup go in. Will post the recipe later. Looks oh so yum! a whole pear, looking gorgeous light red color dripping with syrup, hmmm!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 30 May 2010, 19:43

Wagyu beef roast is in oven, underneath are leeks, spuds and a swede. fuck parsnips, swedes rool, OK?

Beef well rubbed with salt and pepper. Will get half a side of beef soon, for freezing, and I told the butchers selling the grass fed beef I want a brisket, the whole brisket incl the cap of fat. By the time I get that I hope to have a weber kettle so I can put bay tree trimmings on the charcoal coals, turn the damper down and sort of slowly cook and smoke the brisket.

Bloody yanks have these great offset smokers. If I was handy with my hands I would weld one up. Alas, two left hands composed of 5 thumbs each :sad I would kill for an offset smoker!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic