Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Mar 2010, 14:16

Bugger!

Sitting where i am I see a cookbook called "Ice Cream" and have an icecream maker sitting in the scullery but I have painful muscle spasms and no interest in making icecream :sad

Hopefully by Sunday things will be back to normal!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Mar 2010, 12:18

A lot more back to normal! Am reading the icecream making book! Bought plenty free range, organic eggs at Farmer's market! Looking forward to home made icecream soon!

Oh me, oh my! Strawberry semifreddo, Rum, fudge and golden raisin semi-freddo. I am freaking putting on weight just reading this freaking book!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Apr 2010, 18:43

Wondering around the market this afternoon, it ain't summer no more, what to cook? Hmmmm chicken soup! So, 2Kg chicken frames (bones) some chicken mincemeat (groundmeat) for dumplings and bought a packet frozen chicken and mushroom chinese-style dumplings. Might turn it into tomato soup with a bottle tomato sauce (& lots fresh picked & torn across basil leaves.) So Sat fixed, what else? Pizza!

Oh yeah! Pizza, one meat one, one seafood! Got some pizza flour, some (shd be tomato, so who cares) capsicum pesto to put on base, 100g pancetta to be basis of meat pizza, be unreal! Some roma tomatoes, thinly sliced chili salami to go with it, pitted kalamatta olives, fresh picked herbs and 3 bocconcini of mozzarella cheese oohhhhhh gooooooood hmmmmmmm!

Seafood pizza, small scoop marinara mix, small prawn meat, some calamari rings and four marinated WA sardine fillets: when pizza is cooked these taste a little bit like anchovies but nowhere near as salty. Some of the olives, some of the chili salami etc.

Some homegrown capsicum, homegrown herbs--next year again some homegrown tomatoes, home-grown, home-sundried tomatoes!

So, basic pizza dough for two big pizzas:
400g plain flour (pizza flour if you can get it)
1 tsp salt
1 cup slightly warm water, sprinkle one sachet dried bakers yeast over water, add a drop EVOO, let stand 15 mins, stir, chuck into basin containing sifted flour & salt, mix until dough leaves sides of basin, knead, place in oiled bowl, cover and bung somewhere a bit warm until doubled in size. Lightly flour a work surface, turn the dough onto it, divide into two, put one half aside, roll out the first bit to about half the size, then spin until it covers a pizza tray with two cm gap between dough and edge of pizza tray.

Cover with a tomato paste, herbs, sliced tomatoes, topping, cheese, bung into nice hot oven, cook, 25-30 min.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Apr 2010, 19:12

I want to make pesto.

Problem is, got soooooo much basil. How can I make and preserve a shitload of pesto? Freeze it I guess?

Help, anyone know?????
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Ethnic » 10 Apr 2010, 20:17

I have always only made fresh pesto and used all of it but my Nonna freezes hers if that helps. She freezes it into small cubes so its easier to handle.
Ethnic

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Apr 2010, 20:25

Excellent, thx Celly!

with cold weather coming my presently luxuriant basil plants will go all weird and blah soon.

Will make and freeze a batch tomorrow, then get more pinenuts and make another next weekend using the Thais basil
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Apr 2010, 20:27

Actually, will look for pine nuts at Farmers Market tomorrow, then make one giant batch!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Apr 2010, 15:36

OK! Somehow the lid and instruction book had walked (or not walked, still in bloody car!) but now the bowl of my icecream machine is in the chest freezer, needs 15-20 hours, I will give it till Tuesday morning. I have milk, cream eggs, vanilla--first batch of icecream will be made Tuesday! Wheeeee!

Do one or two basic ones first, then get into more fancy icecreams/sorbets what have you.

Might still get a "proper" icecream machine later, one incorporating a freezer but if so, so what, can make two different icecreams at once, like that's a bad thing! For $40 I will be happy with this one for a while!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Apr 2010, 21:36

Meat pizza was delicious! tomatoes and herbs entirely covered with slices of pancetta with a ring of chili salami on top of that, then slices mozerella. Very yummy!

That is what you call a pizza! I fucking hate commercial pizzas where everything is cut up into tiny slivers, that isn't how you normally eat ham etc! Whole slices pancetta topped with whole slices chili salami, that's how I do it!

The pieces of white stuff are buffalo mozzarella cheese, the only cheese for a real pizza! You buy them as small pillows called bocconcini. Not cheap!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Apr 2010, 21:44

Seafood pizza is even better than the meat one!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Apr 2010, 12:07

Vanilla icecream

1. freeze bowl in freezer (D'uh!) for 15-20 hours with storage lid on bowl

2. take lid off then put bowl on centre drive shaft, place stir paddle in place, put clearview cover over bowl

3.Ingredients:
2 cups milk
1 cup cream
3 egg yolks (crack, separate one at a time, make sure egg is good, add yolk to a small bowl, whites to a separate bowl
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract

4. Stir milk and cream in saucepan over medium heat until mixture almost boils. remove from heat;

5. Beat egg yolks, sugar and salt until smooth and creamy, slowly stir in 1 cup of milk mixture into beaten egg yolk mix;

6. Return egg-milk mix to remaining milk-cream in saucepan, cook over medium heat stirring constantly until mixture thickens slightly, remove from heat, stir in vanilla extract;

7. Pour mixture into pouring jug, cover and cool. Place in fridge until mix is chilled;

8. Stir mix and pour into rotating freezer bowl. Process until desired consistency is achieved (the remove clearview cover, put lid on bowl put bowl in freezer. Eat the icecream dummy!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Apr 2010, 23:06

Eating a nice big chunk of rump steak. The cow it came from was entirely grass fed, no grain! Grain is bad for cows even if it does pack on the weight (protein + carbohydrate etc) and I can tell you this steak is melt in the mouth tender and has great flavor!

I have ordered half a side of cow from the people farm these cows: premium quality beef got $8.95/Kg and it will fit nicely in my chest freezer!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 21 Apr 2010, 20:56

We used to raise and kill our own when I was a kid on my parents acerage.

Slaughtering was an anatomy lesson - blechhh!
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Apr 2010, 21:03

hahahaha it will come already skinned, cleaned and butchered.

$8.95/Kg is cheap when even the supermarkets charge $13-16.95 for beef and I do have the freezer space! I always had the idea that the cost of running the freezer could be offset through cheaper meat. Looking for a side of lamb or hogget too sometime.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 21 Apr 2010, 21:09

Hehehe, when I was 18 - 22 I was still living on that acreage in a little bungalow we built about 50 metres from the main house, on the other side of a shed. We used to hold wild raging parties there - I remember one where we put a roo hindquater on the spit along with the usual pig. We told them it was "spring lamb" - two dozen drunks scoffed it down and came looking for more :bgrin

Nothing wrong with roo actually. Very lean meat, bit strong flavoured but drunks don't notice that.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Apr 2010, 21:36

Haven't had a lot of 'roo but what I had was fine, 'roo steak, roast and 'roo tail soup. (Hmmm will see if I can get the oxtail with the rest of the half a side and make oxtail soup!)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 22 Apr 2010, 06:10

I imagine it would be like anything else - if the meat came from a big old man roo rather than a smaller, young animal then it would probably be chewier and stronger flavoured.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Apr 2010, 20:41

A pan of tomato sauce is simmering in the kitchen--I added a chicken stock cube, be interesting to see how that improves the flavor, I mean, Celly's Nonna couldn't be wrong!

30 mins later: Hmmmmm has a delicious savory taste!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Apr 2010, 18:53

Getting close to dinner time. Cooking some snapper fillets according to a recipe in that Indian cookbook! Looks good!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 05 May 2010, 20:17

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 May 2010, 15:08

Le Gratin Dauphinois

1.25lb/.6Kg waxy potatoes, peeled
1.5oz/45g butter
small clove garlic, crushed (optional)
salt, pepper, freshly grated nutmeg
2oz/55g Gruyere cheese, grated
1/2pint/300ml single cream

Slice spuds into 1/8"/3mm thick slices--a mandolin makes this easy and soak in cold water. When needed, drain and thoroughly dry the potato slices with a cloth. Mix butter and garlic and use a third to grease a shallow ovenproof dish. Spread half the potatoes on the bottom, sprinkle with seasonings and half the cheese then dot with half the remaining butter. Whack remaining spuds evenly at the top, sprinkle with seasonings and cheese and pour the cream over, dot with remaining butter. Cook in low oven, 310°F/155°C fior about 90 minutes until potatoes are creamy and surface is golden.

This will be served with a veal and pork pie and either peas and carrots or spinach fresh picked out of my garden. Winter is here, enjoy!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 May 2010, 15:37

Veal and ham pie--UK, 1860ish (Guess the author?)

2lb best end of neck veal
.25lb boiled ham (I got spareribs, also bacon)
2tbsp minced savory herbs (from garden, rosemary, parsley, thyme, sage, a chili might get included for a bit of kick :purple )
.25tsp freshly grated nutmeg
2 blades of mace pounded
pepper and salt to taste, strip lemon peel finely minced
yolks of 2 hard boiled eggs, sliced thinly
.5pint water
.5pint or tad less good strong stock or gravy
Puff pastry

Cut veal into nice square pieces, put a layer of them on bottom of pie dish. Sprinkle with some herbs, spices, seasoning (s&p) & lemon peel. Add layer thinly sliced ham. Repeat until pie dish is nearly full and last of the ham is on top.

Lay a line of puff pastry around edge of dish and pour in the water, cover meat with a sheet of puff pastry. Brush over with the yolk of an egg (add the white to the meat--JM) and into a moderately hot oven for 1-1.5 hours. with a funnel pour in the (hot) stock.

Can add some mushroom or oysters to enrich pie.

Something like that I reckon.

Now, who is the author, wrote a famous book on household management 1859-61.

Now while pie is in oven I will peel and core 2 nice big pears. Put in very shallow oven proof dish. I will put some sultanas in the space where the core was, maybe a tsp brandy then choc chips and some Kahlua or Tia Maria sealing with some more sultanas. Some moist brown sugar (Billington's light muscovado is tops) and a bit more Kahlua in the bottom of the dish. Bung in a hot oven 30-45 mins or until the pears are cooked and soft: easy and tastes fantastic.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby AiA in Atlanta » 15 May 2010, 09:58

Bought grass-fed beef and pastured eggs (the ones that are orange on the inside) today from a local farmer. A Great Pyrenees named Henry guards the hens and a Pembroke Welsh Corgi guards everything else.
AiA in Atlanta

Postby HBS Guy » 15 May 2010, 10:17

I have been buying grass fed beef! Tender as tender can be! Will buy half a side and store in tn chest freezer.

Aren't dogs great? :purple
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 16 May 2010, 22:08

The pie, made to Mrs Beeton's recipe, was deelish! So were the baked pears with whipped cream! Hmmmm, goooooooooooood!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic