Interest to Karland

Past election and other vintage threads.

Interest to Karland

Postby Chuck » 11 Feb 2020, 19:39

Since you openly announced ur queer, u most probably find this article interesting.

A farmer from 1810 had more liberal views on homosexuality than 70 countries do today
8:26 AM EST February 10, 2020
London

An English farmer writing more than 200 years ago had more modern and liberal views on homosexuality than many governments do today, an entry in a newly discovered diary shows.
Matthew Tomlinson, a farmer from West Yorkshire in Northern England, wrote in January 1810 that homosexuality was innate and that punishing it by death was cruel.

Responding to reports in the media about a naval surgeon being executed for sodomy -- a typical punishment for homosexuality in the 19th century -- Tomlinson reasoned that penalizing people for something that had been their "nature from childhood" was unfair.

The find has upended historians' assumptions about historical attitudes to homosexuality, contradicting the view that it was unanimously seen as abnormal and dangerous at the time -- and could be considered a more modern attitude than those held by the 70 countries around the world that still criminalize homosexuality.

Tomlinson wrote: "It appears a paradox to me, how men, who are men, shou'd possess such a passion; and more particularly so, if it is their nature from childhood (as I am informed it is) -- If they feel such an inclination, and propensity, at that certain time of life when youth genders [i.e. develops] into manhood; it must then be considered as natural, otherwise, as a defect in nature ... it seems cruel to punish that defect with death."

He goes on to grapple with the question of why God would create people who are attracted to the same sex and then dictate that they should be penalized, writing: "It must seem strange indeed that God Almighty shou'd make a being, with such a nature; or such a defect in nature; and at the same time make a decree that if that being whome he had formed, shou'd at any time follow the dictates of that Nature with which he was formed he shou'd be punished with death."

European societies at the time were significantly more religious than today.

The death penalty was used on those found guilty of sodomy in England and Wales until around the middle of the 19th century, before it was replaced with a prison sentence in 1861.

In 1885, all homosexual acts were made illegal, until homosexuality was eventually decriminalized in 1967.
As many as 12 countries still penalize homosexuality with capital punishment, and it is criminalized by 70 nations, according to the LGBT monitoring group ILGA.

An 'extraordinary' discovery

The surprising passage in Tomlinson's diary was discovered accidentally by Eamonn O'Keeffe, a researcher at the University of Oxford, who had been looking into the role of British military musicians during the Napoleonic Wars.

"This exciting discovery complicates and enriches our understanding of Georgian attitudes towards sexuality, suggesting that the revolutionary conception of same-sex attraction as a natural human tendency, discernible from adolescence, was mooted within the social circles of an ordinary Yorkshire farmer," O'Keeffe said in a press release.

"While Tomlinson's writings reflect the opinions of only one man, his phrasing - 'as I am informed it is' - implies that his comments were informed by the views of others," he added.

Other figures from the era, including the philosopher Jeremy Bentham, also mooted relaxing the punishment of homosexuality -- but little evidence had previously suggested that such views were commonplace.

Several historians have lauded the finding. Princeton University professor Fara Dabhoiwala said in the press release that it "provides vivid proof that, even during times of severe persecution, historical attitudes to same-sex behaviour could be more sympathetic than is usually presumed."

"It is extraordinary to find an ordinary, casual observer in 1810 seriously considering the possibility that sexuality is innate and making arguments for decriminalisation," added Rictor Norton, an American expert on gay history.
© 2020 Cable News Network, Inc. A WarnerMedia Company. All Rights Reserved.

From my perspective it is not normal but a natural behaviour, and I’m tolerant of ur kind!
To me it amounts to being on the fringe of normality in the normal spectrum.
Chuck
mountain lion

spamone: Animal

Re: Interest to Karland

Postby Aussie » 11 Feb 2020, 20:13

Nice to see you are 'tolerant.' For me.....I don't give a flying fuq who he wants to bed, no more than I care to the same extent about who you want to bed. Nothing to do with me.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby Chuck » 11 Feb 2020, 22:13

Aussie wrote:Nice to see you are 'tolerant.' For me.....I don't give a flying fuq who he wants to bed, no more than I care to the same extent about who you want to bed. Nothing to do with me.
Becoming tolerant to homosexual is an extraordinarily move on my part, after what my wife and child went through and the cost involved that they weren’t infected by aids.

At that time, I would have culled them, considering them as not humans!

Prior to that, it wasn’t safe to go to the Flinders Street railway station, without some weirdo peering into ur cubicle in the shit house at the railway station
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby mothra » 12 Feb 2020, 00:24

Jesus.

Fuck right off with your 'tolerance'. Nobody deserves to be merely 'tolerated'.

And why on earth you'd focus so hard on trying to display your 'tolerance' to Karland by 'tolerantly' posting a story about other gay people has me absolutely gobsmacked.

I'm not even going to touch on how your wife and child nearly "got aids (sic) form one".

Just, Jesus.

2020. people. No excuses.
mothra
Duck

Postby Chuck » 12 Feb 2020, 05:56

mothra wrote:Jesus.

Fuck right off with your 'tolerance'. Nobody deserves to be merely 'tolerated'.

And why on earth you'd focus so hard on trying to display your 'tolerance' to Karland by 'tolerantly' posting a story about other gay people has me absolutely gobsmacked.

I'm not even going to touch on how your wife and child nearly "got aids (sic) form one".

Just, Jesus.

2020. people. No excuses.
I thought he would find this historical diary interesting reading!

Simply, pointing out how an event in someone’s life, can turn to hatred at that particular time, due to a blood transfusions.

As time went on and my wife and child never suffered any consequences. My hatred has dissipated into being tolerant and not shunning them at all.
Some are even close friends now, but that doesn’t mean that I should be compelled to view their life style as being normal

So 2020, means zip ur lips, and u believe that constitutes a diverse society?
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby johnsmith » 12 Feb 2020, 15:49

:grn
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby SethBullock » 13 Feb 2020, 13:07

Mothra, I don't know why you reacted to Chuck with such hostility. Why stress over the word "tolerant"? "Accepting" and "understanding" maybe work better? How do you know what he really meant? Sometimes I am looking for just the right word to describe something and I just ... can't ... find it in my head, so I use something else that just isn't ... quite ... right. Close maybe, but not perfectly right.

And John, why the groan?

Life is a journey, and we learn and evolve as we go through it.

I'm 64 years old, and I am not the same as I was when I was 24.

MANY of the beliefs and attitudes that I held when I was 24 - I no longer hold.

It sounds to me like Chuck's attitudes towards homosexuals has changed over time. Why do you guys condemn him for that?
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby mothra » 13 Feb 2020, 14:42

If you can't see what is so glaringly wrong with this Seth, well i can;t help you.
mothra
Duck

Postby SethBullock » 13 Feb 2020, 15:38

Give a try, Mothra.
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet
SethBullock
Warthog

Postby greggerypeccary » 13 Feb 2020, 15:42

SethBullock wrote:Mothra, I don't know why you reacted to Chuck with such hostility.

Did you see what he wrote?
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Chuck » 13 Feb 2020, 18:50

greggerypeccary wrote:
SethBullock wrote:Mothra, I don't know why you reacted to Chuck with such hostility.

Was there any words that suggests that I’ve changed?

How would u react initially if a group of people endanger ur wife and child’s life?

The tests were very expensive to determine if they had been affected by aids.
Especially, being on a single income with a young family and paying of a mortgage.

I think u mustn’t be human but a humanoid that needs info updated to ur skull.
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby johnsmith » 13 Feb 2020, 19:25

SethBullock wrote:And John, why the groan?

it's not the first time he's gone on about this subject Seth.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby greggerypeccary » 13 Feb 2020, 21:26

Chuck wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:

Was there any words that suggests that I’ve changed?

How would u react initially if a group of people endanger ur wife and child’s life?

The tests were very expensive to determine if they had been affected by aids.
Especially, being on a single income with a young family and paying of a mortgage.

I think u mustn’t be human but a humanoid that needs info updated to ur skull.

FFS, please get an education.

Please.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Feb 2020, 08:52

Time to archive this offensive rubbish.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Archive