Electric Vehicals this week

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Re: Electric Vehicals this week

Postby DonDeeHippy » 10 Jun 2019, 14:26

Dax wrote:The revolution is well underway, in the next year or so, we will have a huge number of EV's to chose from and now Toyota and Subaru have taken up the challenge together.

"Toyota and Subaru to develop joint electric car platform
Toyota and Subaru will join forces to form a platform for EVs
1 / 1 photos
Toyota and Subaru will jointly develop a new electric vehicle platform suitable for mid-sized and large passenger cars, including sedans and crossovers.

In addition to this, the two Japanese automakers will also use the new EV architecture to develop a new c-segment crossover together, with each brand selling a version of this vehicle.

According to the two companies, the new platform will use Toyota's electrification technologies and Subaru's all-wheel drive expertise. Both carmakers will shift their existing electric car development over to this new project."

https://www.drive.com.au/news/toyota-an ... rce=theage

Yeah in about 5 years they should get a model out and it will be pretty good hopefully, the new plan Toyota just released a day of two ago seems to be mainly focusing on hybrids and they don't think many pure EV's will be sold even by 2050 , so unless Subaru take up the numbers they wont be in big numbers... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

spamone: Animal

Postby DonDeeHippy » 10 Jun 2019, 14:36

https://insideevs.com/news/353600/toyot ... obal-bevs/

Toyota, after years of neglecting of all-electric cars, announced today a huge offensive with a new platform, global models of various type as well as ultra-compact and walking area BEVs.
The new plan envisions rollout of all-electric vehicles from 2020 (starting with Toyota C-HR BEV and Toyota IZOA BEV twins in China) and Toyota says that by 2025, all models to have electrified version (at least hybrid).
In the early 2020s, Toyota would like to introduce 10 BEV models worldwide, including six global models, based on e-TNGA platform.
If we look at the general plan, you can notice however that expected BEV sales are low compared to hybrid and plug-in hybrid share. Interestingly, Toyota doesn't see much market share for hydrogen fuel cell cars by 2050 either.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Jun 2019, 15:17

Toyota doesn't see much market share for hydrogen fuel cell cars by 2050 either.

NOBODY tell YouLiar!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 10 Jun 2019, 15:31

DonDeeHippy wrote:https://insideevs.com/news/353600/toyota-six-global-bevs/

Toyota, after years of neglecting of all-electric cars, announced today a huge offensive with a new platform, global models of various type as well as ultra-compact and walking area BEVs.
The new plan envisions rollout of all-electric vehicles from 2020 (starting with Toyota C-HR BEV and Toyota IZOA BEV twins in China) and Toyota says that by 2025, all models to have electrified version (at least hybrid).
In the early 2020s, Toyota would like to introduce 10 BEV models worldwide, including six global models, based on e-TNGA platform.
If we look at the general plan, you can notice however that expected BEV sales are low compared to hybrid and plug-in hybrid share. Interestingly, Toyota doesn't see much market share for hydrogen fuel cell cars by 2050 either.

What is a BEV?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 10 Jun 2019, 15:32

HBS Guy wrote:
Toyota doesn't see much market share for hydrogen fuel cell cars by 2050 either.

NOBODY tell YouLiar!

Youliar has been told: youliar is the internet! :bike :bike
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 10 Jun 2019, 15:35

Bongalong wrote:

What is a BEV?

Battery Electric Vehicle
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Bongalong » 10 Jun 2019, 15:38

johnsmith wrote:
Bongalong wrote:

What is a BEV?

Battery Electric Vehicle

Oh, so BEV is FULLY ELECTRIC VEHICLE ?!?

:bike :bike
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 10 Jun 2019, 15:41

Bongalong wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Bongalong wrote:

What is a BEV?

Battery Electric Vehicle

yes, it's not a hybrid
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Bongalong » 10 Jun 2019, 15:52

johnsmith wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Bongalong wrote:

What is a BEV?

Battery Electric Vehicle

yes, it's not a hybrid

Co-generation then offically becomes the status quo!

Who knew ?!!? :roll
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 12 Jun 2019, 06:03

May have to change my mind about a Rivian, Toyota has stepped up its plans for Ev's, by a few years and intends having big 4x4's in a couple of years. Bye bye tesla for Aus as they won't be able to compete in price and terrain ability, tesla's don't do very well on dirt roads they say.

"In a speech, Shigeki Terashi, Toyota's powertrain chief, outlined the company's revised electric vehicle plans.

As part of its new accelerated timeline, the company is now planning to launch 10 EVs into global markets by the "early 2020s"."

https://www.drive.com.au/news/toyota-st ... rce=theage
Dax
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 12 Jun 2019, 06:58

Dax wrote:May have to change my mind about a Rivian, Toyota has stepped up its plans for Ev's, by a few years and intends having big 4x4's in a couple of years. Bye bye tesla for Aus as they won't be able to compete in price and terrain ability, tesla's don't do very well on dirt roads they say.

"In a speech, Shigeki Terashi, Toyota's powertrain chief, outlined the company's revised electric vehicle plans.

As part of its new accelerated timeline, the company is now planning to launch 10 EVs into global markets by the "early 2020s"."

https://--121610.html?trackLink=SMH3&ut ... rce=theage

Yes 10 ev's but still betting on hybrids... If they start now in 5 years they will have vehicles… that's the usual time to go from plan to selling them.. If you look they are only releasing full EV;s in china to begin with.
Whats good about Tesla is they build stuff very fast and if they start selling in numbers here their network will go with it, They just released their Supercharger 3 as well to the public with 250kwh charging.
If Tesla make a 4wd ute it will be able to go on the dirt Dax, I noticed Elon has said they will release a Ute under $50,000 usd as well, I think the Rivien is $75,000 min...
$50,000 USD for their F truck will be about the same price of a Land cruiser, it's not that the Tesla are particularly cheep it's just the land cruisers are so over priced...
will be interesting times.. :purple
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby Dax » 12 Jun 2019, 10:04

We will see and land cruisers aren't over priced, have 2 of them. One is a 1986 more than 30years old a series 60 turbo sahara, which a couple of years ago entered the 1 million klms range and has had a full engine and auto gearbox rebuilt, our senior chef manager and band drummer (lady) drives it.

Then there's my 1991 1hdt turbo cruiser, which has done just over 730000klms and recently had an engine rebuild. Everything else is original and only did that rebuild because an engine reconditioning friend offered to do it for cost, because we installed his solar system for cost.

I expect to change my mind a number of times before settling on an EV replacement for my cruiser, the number of varieties of Ev's will only escalate and prices will drop dramatically as more come onto the market. Sticking with one model and claiming it will be the winner is rather short sighted, If I'd taken that blindly stubborn approach to my life, would never got to where I am and would be dead a few times over.

At the moment am loving the Kona, such a cool little car to drive and overtaking is such a dream, you're past them before they realise you're even there and no need to exceed the speed limit with such incredibly rapid acceleration.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 12 Jun 2019, 12:06

Dax wrote:We will see and land cruisers aren't over priced, have 2 of them. One is a 1986 more than 30years old a series 60 turbo sahara, which a couple of years ago entered the 1 million klms range and has had a full engine and auto gearbox rebuilt, our senior chef manager and band drummer (lady) drives it.

Then there's my 1991 1hdt turbo cruiser, which has done just over 730000klms and recently had an engine rebuild. Everything else is original and only did that rebuild because an engine reconditioning friend offered to do it for cost, because we installed his solar system for cost.

I expect to change my mind a number of times before settling on an EV replacement for my cruiser, the number of varieties of Ev's will only escalate and prices will drop dramatically as more come onto the market. Sticking with one model and claiming it will be the winner is rather short sighted, If I'd taken that blindly stubborn approach to my life, would never got to where I am and would be dead a few times over.

At the moment am loving the Kona, such a cool little car to drive and overtaking is such a dream, you're past them before they realise you're even there and no need to exceed the speed limit with such incredibly rapid acceleration.

Same price of a Land cruiser you can get 2 Navara's use half the fuel ,more power, twice the comfort and the same towing and carrying capacity.
The only plus is with the V8 motors you can rip the baffles out and they sound pretty cool.

Over priced to the shithouse, we use just about every ute and the cruiser's while seemingly tough, are rough ,fuel hungry monsters and still need to spend a fortune to get their suspension up to scratch, just like the others....
We do lots of 4wd jobs and carry around 3 to3.5 tonne trailers everywhere, the toughest out of the lot with hardly any work done is a old Mitsubishi 2008 triton, just unbreakable.... :purple

Although I do wish I had a EV though and trying to juggle the old pocket book to get one, I might have to wait a few years and get a second hand one though....
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 12 Jun 2019, 21:58

Dax wrote:We will see and land cruisers aren't over priced, have 2 of them. One is a 1986 more than 30years old a series 60 turbo sahara, which a couple of years ago entered the 1 million klms range and has had a full engine and auto gearbox rebuilt, our senior chef manager and band drummer (lady) drives it.

I get The Road Ahead... the RacQ Mag.. and they just took a Kona EV from Brisbane to Cairns.
Interesting read indeed.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 13 Jun 2019, 06:44

pinkeye wrote:

I get The Road Ahead... the RacQ Mag.. and they just took a Kona EV from Brisbane to Cairns.
Interesting read indeed.

ahh thanks pink i'll read mine when it gets here, not just chuck in the bin :)
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 13 Jun 2019, 07:25

I found the link its a good read
https://www.racq.com.au/TheRoadAhead/Ar ... er-highway

Mission accomplished, we looked back on a 2122km journey during which we’d recharged six times, for a total of about seven hours. The electricity hadn’t cost us a cent, thanks to the State Government’s extended free-charging period, meaning we’d saved roughly $240 in equivalent fuel costs, or $105 were we paying for the recharges.
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby Bongalong » 13 Jun 2019, 13:24

DonDeeHippy wrote:I found the link its a good read

Mission accomplished, we looked back on a 2122km journey during which we’d recharged six times, for a total of about seven hours. The electricity hadn’t cost us a cent, thanks to the State Government’s extended free-charging period, meaning we’d saved roughly $240 in equivalent fuel costs, or $105 were we paying for the recharges.

*** So you're saying if you paid for the recharges it would cost nearly half of what it costs for the eqivalent in petrol?

--> The business case almost doesn't make sense then to most I would assume... :yak yak :yak yak
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 13 Jun 2019, 23:20

Bongalong wrote:

*** So you're saying if you paid for the recharges it would cost nearly half of what it costs for the eqivalent in petrol?

--> The business case almost doesn't make sense then to most I would assume... :yak yak :yak yak

Well my friend you know what they say about using the word 'assume'.? Yeah? :yak yak :roll :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 14 Jun 2019, 07:34

The thing I noticed is they did 2200km's and it took 7 hours to charge….the free charging network the QLD government did isn't that fast..

the Kona would of been full charged (400km) so 7 hours for 1800km's charge...so about 260km's a hour recharge...

The new chargers being built will do about 800km's a hour and the New Tesla supercharger 3 will do 1000km....It's just being released now .
So in a few years a trip like this will take less than 2 hours of recharging and about 5 breaks , if you have a family or like me and need a break every couple of hours, a EV wouldn't add any more time to my trip than a normal car..
As it is 7 hours isn't much waiting if it's free, if they saved $240 that's a saving of $35 a hour....
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby Sprintcyclist » 14 Jun 2019, 09:29

thanks Don.

that's pretty good. 'petrol' is 1/2 price.
servicing will be a lot cheaper, lets call that 1/4 price.

Good going
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 14 Jun 2019, 17:49

was talking to a Tesla owner today (tesla S)... I asked him how he found the car

his answer "Fucken Brilliant'.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Sprintcyclist » 14 Jun 2019, 19:50

DonDeeHippy wrote:

Same price of a Land cruiser you can get 2 Navara's use half the fuel ,more power, twice the comfort and the same towing and carrying capacity.
The only plus is with the V8 motors you can rip the baffles out and they sound pretty cool.

Over priced to the shithouse, we use just about every ute and the cruiser's while seemingly tough, are rough ,fuel hungry monsters and still need to spend a fortune to get their suspension up to scratch, just like the others....
We do lots of 4wd jobs and carry around 3 to3.5 tonne trailers everywhere, the toughest out of the lot with hardly any work done is a old Mitsubishi 2008 triton, just unbreakable.... :purple

Although I do wish I had a EV though and trying to juggle the old pocket book to get one, I might have to wait a few years and get a second hand one though....

Wow, so Mitsubishis are good?

And, for the money a real bargain
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby Sprintcyclist » 14 Jun 2019, 19:54

Dax wrote:The revolution is well underway, in the next year or so, we will have a huge number of EV's to chose from and now Toyota and Subaru have taken up the challenge together.

"Toyota and Subaru to develop joint electric car platform
Toyota and Subaru will join forces to form a platform for EVs
1 / 1 photos
Toyota and Subaru will jointly develop a new electric vehicle platform suitable for mid-sized and large passenger cars, including sedans and crossovers.

In addition to this, the two Japanese automakers will also use the new EV architecture to develop a new c-segment crossover together, with each brand selling a version of this vehicle.

According to the two companies, the new platform will use Toyota's electrification technologies and Subaru's all-wheel drive expertise. Both carmakers will shift their existing electric car development over to this new project."

https://www.drive.com.au/news/toyota-an ... rce=theage

Toyota and Subaru are a good marriage
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 14 Jun 2019, 20:14

Sprintcyclist wrote:

I've owned a couple in the past... while not as refined as some of the other cars, the damn things just keep going. You couldn't kill them if you tried. And they offer the best warranties (or they did the last time i was in the market, but that was a few years ago)
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Sprintcyclist » 14 Jun 2019, 21:44

johnsmith wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:

I've owned a couple in the past... while not as refined as some of the other cars, the damn things just keep going. You couldn't kill them if you tried. And they offer the best warranties (or they did the last time i was in the market, but that was a few years ago)

yes, well, they have won many paris to dakkar comps.
Sure, those vehicles are different, but Mitsi know how to build them.
My wife has a lancer wagon, great fun wagon. Can really feel the rallying pedigree in it
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

PreviousNext

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market