Dirty Power

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Dirty Power

Postby mothra » 11 May 2019, 16:40

Very important viewing.

mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: Dirty Power

Postby johnsmith » 11 May 2019, 16:57

Whilst no real surprise, it's disturbing to see it all laid out like that

time to bring in a federal ICAC to jail all these bastards
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby mothra » 11 May 2019, 17:37

johnsmith wrote:Whilst no real surprise, it's disturbing to see it all laid out like that

time to bring in a federal ICAC to jail all these bastards

It is highly disturbing.

Share it as far and wide as you can.
mothra
Duck

Postby pinkeye » 11 May 2019, 22:02

Not surprising. :S
I could only watch about 5.15 secs of that.
:sad
:thumb
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 12 May 2019, 04:45

I have two GetUp environmental posters in my front yard.

Day after the election I will recycle the corflutes to my Tassie shed, can use them there.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 12 May 2019, 04:57

ahh that is the word I was searching for in my memory earlier today. Corflutes. Heads on campaign posters.

I have wondered what happens to them, over the years. Some remain..lingering on peoples fences or roadside, well past the election date.... visual pollution.

They might be useful as weed barriers.. lay them down on areas with lots of weeds. :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 12 May 2019, 05:40

Only for paths.

No, cut them up and use one or more to protect the MDF in my shelving unit from rain: one set of shelves is close to the door to the little shed and rain could easily reach it when the door is open so put corflute down the end facing the door.Will get contact paper as well and maybe a coat or two of ceiling white paint, nice and cheap, to protect the shelves from leaks etc.

Decided to get a second shelving unit, keep stuff off the floor and at least partly organised.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Texan » 12 May 2019, 07:09

They are great for target shooting. Staple targets to them and set them in front of an earth berm. The best signs have the metal wire bases. The wooden posts tend to get shot and broken in the center of the target.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby Dax » 12 May 2019, 10:00

This is how every aspect of our country is run, vested interests hold the power over all political parties, but it seems the majority are to stupid and programmed to learn the truth and do something about it. It;s the party system that is at fault, every party if the same, even the greens are run by vested interests and have no real policies. They all associate with the corporate and ideological elites, never the people. That alone is proof of their veracity.

But you'll all keep voting for them and nothing will change, until it is to late and that is now, not tomorrow or 5-10 years away.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 12 May 2019, 21:45

Texan wrote:They are great for target shooting. Staple targets to them and set them in front of an earth berm. The best signs have the metal wire bases. The wooden posts tend to get shot and broken in the center of the target.

:bgrin :thumb

now all I need is my old .22 back. Sadly the police have it. Well, DID, back in the day when we had to surrender our weapons.
Apparently they were all destroyed.
Hey.. seems there are plenty more... weapons are being used in violent crimes here, regularly/

UMMM got sucked off-topic.
Sorry... because THIS ISSUE is just as significant .. for us.

Hey.. we have coal mines already. They're pumping out the coal.
They may have a relatively limited life, some of them.... like min. 10 yrs.

Just think about what we can develop it that time frame, that will replace the need for further coal mining.

WE DON'T NEED ADANI'S filthy MINE.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 12 May 2019, 21:55

Dax wrote:This is how every aspect of our country is run, vested interests hold the power over all political parties, but it seems the majority are to stupid and programmed to learn the truth and do something about it. It;s the party system that is at fault, every party if the same, even the greens are run by vested interests and have no real policies. They all associate with the corporate and ideological elites, never the people. That alone is proof of their veracity.

But you'll all keep voting for them and nothing will change, until it is to late and that is now, not tomorrow or 5-10 years away.

Umm you have indicated you'll vote Informal.... I think that is a cop out.
As we used to say back in the day.

Your post (above) suggests voting is a waste of time. Meaningless.
But you are wrong. I'd never voluntarily dis-enfranchise myself of this innate human right ( as found) because of the poor options, and choose an informal vote.

. We must ACT,, always.. in whatever small way we are able... to promote what is right.

Surely you understand that this right was hard fought-for , and remains a precious thing. Many people in the world do not have this vote, this thing you spurn. Or perhaps you are really caning the voters... I understand that BUT don't denigrate this franchise... the right to VOTE.!

Not everyone can bug out completely.. ergo we have to pay attention... we are citizens and we have a responsibility to try the best we can to get what we NEED.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Dax » 13 May 2019, 06:44

pinkeye wrote:
Dax wrote:This is how every aspect of our country is run, vested interests hold the power over all political parties, but it seems the majority are to stupid and programmed to learn the truth and do something about it. It;s the party system that is at fault, every party if the same, even the greens are run by vested interests and have no real policies. They all associate with the corporate and ideological elites, never the people. That alone is proof of their veracity.

Umm you have indicated you'll vote Informal.... I think that is a cop out.
As we used to say back in the day.

Your post (above) suggests voting is a waste of time. Meaningless.
But you are wrong. I'd never voluntarily dis-enfranchise myself of this innate human right ( as found) because of the poor options, and choose an informal vote.

. We must ACT,, always.. in whatever small way we are able... to promote what is right.

Surely you understand that this right was hard fought-for , and remains a precious thing. Many people in the world do not have this vote, this thing you spurn. Or perhaps you are really caning the voters... I understand that BUT don't denigrate this franchise... the right to VOTE.!

Not everyone can bug out completely.. ergo we have to pay attention... we are citizens and we have a responsibility to try the best we can to get what we NEED.

I've said I'll only vote informal if there are no decent independents and will never vote for a major party, or any current party, as they are all the same. The current voting system for this age is a waste of time, it assumes the people are stupid and only the parties are capable of running the country. When the opposite it true, it's the people who are the intelligent ones and the parties the idiots. We meed online voting and governance so the people have the say in all things and not just a small bunch of brain dead ideologues.

It's a cop out to give your vote to party, just so you have a vote. If there are no decent candidates, why give your vote to an idiot from a destructive party and contribute to the destruction of society, when an informal vote gives them nothing. I don't like voting informal and have only done it a couple of times, but won't give my vote to the party system and if everyone did that, the parties would soon be gone for good.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby Bongalong » 13 May 2019, 17:59

If you place a formal vote one of the major parties will get your vote... :bike :bike
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 16 May 2019, 02:37

trying to promote and EXPAND coal production in Australia is simply... MADNESS.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 16 May 2019, 04:10

But if we stop all coal exports like the Green liars say they want our customers will simply turn to other countries. Simplistic crap is for children.

And the coal miners will sue for compensation.

Some more nuanced policy is needed.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 16 May 2019, 21:54

umm I think you are seriously over- complicating the issue.

Err.. what I am saying is... we already have coal mines.. supplying demand.
We can continue to do so until such time as they are used up. Why would coal-miners.. oh you mean the Companies... ? sue.? Ridiculous. They know the writing is on the wall.
We DO NOT NEED A NEW HUGE ONE. Not at all.

We need innovation...

I know you favour Nuclear power (another out-dated idea :roll ) but why support Coal FFS.!
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 17 May 2019, 14:50

No.

1. We are not the only coal-rich nation

2. Mines in operation cannot be closed down without sovereign risk/huge compensation.

Look, I have written reams of stuff here and in the ridiculous MRB that became the Dubyne MRB about CO2, AGW, renewable energy etc etc etc.

Solutions are not simple.

Re Adani you must realise it is a stalking horse for other miners with huge mining leases there, esp Gina.

I doubt we could just say “No!” to Adani because they and the other miners there would sue. Greens don’t care—they will never form governmenr—and will grandstand just to steal votes from Labor (in Victoria maybe.) Parties of Government (Nats/Libs/Labor) know that they cannot make wild promises and grandiose statements.

I hope Adani does not go ahead. Let them build their own railway—to a port on the Gulf so no ships through the GBR—power station, dams for water (NOT out the GBR) etc etc.

Other people hope the mine goes ahead and they get a job: very few will in reality once the building phase is over but they think they will be one to have a permanent job at Adani.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 17 May 2019, 16:30

The claims for jobs regarding adani is false, almost all it's operations will be automated, just like they are doing in WA where they expect to be fully automated within 3 years. Building the railway will also be automated and the only jibs will be small construction of facilities, then nothing but automation.

Time to move into the 21st century with your comments, relying on last century practises is stupid when automation is in vogue. But that's how they con clones, tell the one thing when it's obvious that the opposite is the case.
Dax
Cheetah

Return to Politics