What Beer Do You Like?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby SethBullock » 10 May 2019, 15:18

But I BELIEVED in helium beer!!!

I WANTED it to be true!!!

:grn

Ah well ... Nobody died, right? (War parent logic)

Ok, I'm good now.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

"You must be a muslim, god nutter or apologist for them." - Dax, to greggery peccary
SethBullock
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby johnsmith » 10 May 2019, 17:03

If only they could get that helium beer to work. Imagine a biker bar full of big burly guys talking like chipmunks.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 10 May 2019, 17:32

I am drinking a BiG Shed “The Hazing” a “NEIPA” a cloudy (obviously) IPA, juicy with hops “You can’t handle the JUICE!”

Ton of hop aroma and flavor, little malt aroma/flavor as is typical of IPAs. It is a nice light color which as you know by now is de rigueur for a pale ale, esp an IPA IMNSHO.

Beer had a nice head that lasted to the end of the glass and left lots of lace on the side of the glass. I DO like a beer to have a nice head!

Quite nice, a “would drink it again” beer. I just wish some brewers would return to the roots of what led to and made an IPA. A LOT of hops, yes, more than is used nowadays. Then months on a sailing ship sailing from London etc port around the cape of Good Hope then up the other coast of Africa and across to Goa. Balance in an IPA is not, uniquely, a matter of malt and hop, more a matter of hop bitterness (IBUs) and flavonoids that some of the hop isoalpha acids turned into with time.

A fresh IPA was not an ale made to be drunk fresh—but todays brewers, like the old Burton brewers, can not afford to keep beer for months.

The only real IPA these days is the one you make and age yourself.

My IPA was a beaut. I used Joe White Pilsner malt—the palest malt I could get at the time—and 375g East Kent Goldings plugs, the closest I could get to actual English hop flowers. Accidentally mashed it far too hot—I thought the bloody thermometer was slowing down to reach 64°C, reached more like 74° :oops Tasted the wort out the kettle: a word instantly popped into my mind: farinaceous. Just the thinnest of thin green lines, the hops trying to make their presence felt. 14 days ferment/conditioning, into a corny keg, into the cellar. FG 1032 dropped down to 1019 over a year. Poor old brewersonly had wooden barrels. If they didn’t fill the barrel completely full, if there was an air pocket in the barrel all the CO2 created on the voyage would move into that airspace until the pressure burst the barrel. Despite the huge hop load a lot of the IPA that reached Goa was spolied: life before Pasteur.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 10 May 2019, 23:16

That Big Shed beer sounds good.

From your description, it sounds a bit like Deschutes' "Fresh Squeezed". It would be interesting to put them side by side and taste them.

"You must be a muslim, god nutter or apologist for them." - Dax, to greggery peccary
SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 10 May 2019, 23:32

Bloody Edinburgh hotel had no Deschutes!

Got a Stone beer, try that in a day or two.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 11 May 2019, 02:53

Don't know much about Stone beers. I'll be interested to find out what you think of it.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 11 May 2019, 07:16

You should be looking for Big Foot—this years is out.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 11 May 2019, 07:37

HBS Guy wrote:You should be looking for Big Foot—this years is out.

I'll definitely watch for it and let you know if I get some. :beer

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 11 May 2019, 07:53

Nah, you have to go chase it. Case all the liquor stores in your area, ask the managers etc. It is pretty scarce!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 02 Jun 2019, 10:52

What's happening on the beer front, guys?

Sprint? John? Weren't you guys doing some brewing?

Me, I've just been drinking my Deschutes beers, Guiness stouts, and beers from the pubs in my area. Nothing really new to report.

I enjoyed this video from Rachelle.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 02 Jun 2019, 10:53

Why doesn't the video show?

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Jun 2019, 13:24

You included “&t=48s” at the end of the URL, board software gets confused. So copy everything up to but not including “&. . .”
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Jun 2019, 13:25

I had a Deschutes Fresh Haze IPA which was nice. A Clare Valley and a Barossa Valley beer, drinkable but not that exciting and very local.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 02 Jun 2019, 13:48

HBS Guy wrote:I had a Deschutes Fresh Haze IPA which was nice. A Clare Valley and a Barossa Valley beer, drinkable but not that exciting and very local.

Glad ya liked the Fresh Haze. I do too.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 02 Jun 2019, 15:09

HBS Guy wrote:I had a Deschutes Fresh Haze IPA which was nice. A Clare Valley and a Barossa Valley beer, drinkable but not that exciting and very local.

Gawd....just tasted one (Deschutes Fresh Haze IPA.) Nah......it has some fruity flavour!

:sad
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby SethBullock » 02 Jun 2019, 15:24

Poor Aussie! :roll

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 02 Jun 2019, 17:40

Tried this one last week (meant to put it up earlier but then forgot about it until now). From New Zealand.

If you get the chance to try one, DON'T. It tastes like dirty dishwater. No real flavour that I noticed. Aussie will probably like it.

If you're a sucker for punishment and are still determined to try it, this is the write up for it from the brewers website

A refreshingly lively lager with hints of tropical, fruit like notes and a mild bitterness.

DB Export 33 has an ABV of 4.6%. This full flavoured lager was launched in 2008 and named ‘Best Low Carbohydrate Beer in New Zealand’ in 2009 and 2010 at the NZ Beer Awards. It also became the first New Zealand low carb beer to win a Gold medal at the prestigious Monde Selection awards in Belgium in 2010, winning Gold again in 2011.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 02 Jun 2019, 22:42

DB was what I drank when I was over there on cricket tours. Yes...it is like VB.
Aussie

Postby SethBullock » 03 Jun 2019, 00:55

Thanks for the warning.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Jun 2019, 04:29

Wonder if I could brew a beer while in Tassie next year? Even if just an extract beer or part mash + extract?

Maybe a Guinness clone? Mash 3Kg pale malt, cold steep 500g roast barley? Just means finding a cheap 17-20L stainless steel pan. No chiller but buy a big plastic trough of some kind—part fill with cold water, stir it clockwise, put the 17L pot in, stir it vigorously anticlockwise, put the lid on, leave overnight. Buy and crush the grain just before departure for Tassie. Hmmmm will think about it. Means buying a new burner but that is OK.

Maybe do a bitter, mix pale and munich malt, some combo british hops: 3Kg pale malt, few grains roasted barley, add a (fresh) can malt extract.

If I am camping I will buy fishing gear, catch and cook some fish! Yeah!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 03 Jun 2019, 15:48

Aussie wrote:DB was what I drank when I was over there on cricket tours. Yes...it is like VB.

I knew you'd like it as soon as I tasted how bad it was. :rofl :rofl :rofl
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 03 Jun 2019, 16:08

johnsmith wrote:
Aussie wrote:DB was what I drank when I was over there on cricket tours. Yes...it is like VB.

I knew you'd like it as soon as I tasted how bad it was. :rofl :rofl :rofl

:up
Aussie

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Jun 2019, 19:50

All frivolity aside, I am drinking an absurdity.

A Danish beer—has to be a lager!

BUT it is brewed in Belgium! Has to be an ale!

It IS an ale! A fucking IPA! Hey, that is a BRITISH beer style! Fucking Vikings steal anything not nailed down!

Wait! Wait! It is not an IPA, it is a Double IPA!

A nice beer. Good strong hops in nose and mouth. Nice persistent head.

No photos, the can is not informative and it is a nicely pale ale with a good head. Worth trying tho, well for anyone but Aussie.

The brewery the beer was brewed for is ØL.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 03 Jun 2019, 20:51

Beer should be beer...not a cordial fruit juice mix drink with alcohol. So there.
Aussie

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Jun 2019, 10:18

Ales have fruity esters which I like. Lagers are fermented cool then lagered cold to remove yeast flavors/aromas. Waste of time IMHO.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic