Deniers’ Delight—Jacobshavn glacier

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Deniers’ Delight—Jacobshavn glacier

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Mar 2019, 12:16

That grifter Dubyne was splashing this over Twitter the last couple days “Due to deepening GSM” and similar lies.

What am I talking about? The Jacobshavn glacier on the west coast of Greenland is contributing a bit less to Greenland ice loss, growing a bit thicker and even advancing a bit.

Why is the glacier thickening/advancing a bit? Bit of a puzzler for the scientists who noticed this:

a team of scientists from the United States and the Netherlands found that the glacier is likely growing due to colder ocean currents. In 2016, a current that passes by Jakobshavn Glacier was cooler than usual, making waters near the glacier the coldest they'd been since the mid-1980s.

This cooler current came from the North Atlantic Ocean, more than 600 miles (966 kilometers) south of the glacier, according to data from NASA's Oceans Melting Greenland (OMG) mission and other observations.

So—why did this cooling current happen? Warm currents melted the sea ice shelves around Greenland, causing the glaciers on Greenland to slide faster into the sea.

It appears that the cold water is the result of a climate pattern known as the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO), which makes the northern Atlantic Ocean slowly switch between warm and cold water about once every 20 years, the researchers said. The cold phase just recently started, and has cooled the Atlantic Ocean in general, they said. In addition, some extra cooling of the waters around Greenland's southwest coast helped keep the glacier chilly.

But this crisp change won't last forever. Once the NAO climate pattern flips back, the Jakobshavn will likely start melting faster and thinning again, the researchers said.

"Jakobshavn is getting a temporary break from this climate pattern," Josh Willis, of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory and the principal investigator of OMG, said in the statement. "But in the long run, the oceans are warming. And seeing the oceans have such a huge impact on the glaciers is bad news for Greenland's ice sheet."

A change in an oceanic oscillation does not cause global heating or cooling—it just moves heat around so parts will be hotter than usual.

https://www.livescience.com/65080-greenland-glacier-growing.html

NASA: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/cold-water-currently-slowing-fastest-greenland-glacier

The weather record is very noisy, blips and flips aplenty. As I said, this is not a sign of global cooling, other parts of the Atlantic will now be warmer than before.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Deniers’ Delight—Jacobshavn glacier

Postby DonDeeHippy » 28 Mar 2019, 16:51

yeah lee and bobby both jumped on this one, I noticed in the report they said it's total mass is still shrinking , just not as much....
"NASA research shows that Jakobshavn Glacier, which has been Greenland's fastest-flowing and fastest-thinning glacier for the last 20 years, has made an unexpected about-face. Jakobshavn is now flowing more slowly, thickening, and advancing toward the ocean instead of retreating farther inland. The glacier is still adding to global sea level rise - it continues to lose more ice to the ocean than it gains from snow accumulation - but at a slower rate." :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Mar 2019, 16:58

I would imagine they both did.

AMO—does not cause global cooling/heating, just redistributes heat/cold. Booby would not have a clue: he has clearly not had a tertiary (or even senior HS) education. Lees has not had much of an education, resents that and, I think, is scared shitless by AGW.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 28 Mar 2019, 21:56

as we all should be.. but..

some people are so entrenched in humans as the children of God, they think everything will be fine. :roll
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Mar 2019, 16:36

The remains of the two tropical cyclones will cause some effects on east coast:

Moisture formed from the Top End’s ex-tropical Cyclone Trevor is set to spawn snow flurries and dropping temperatures along the east coast of the country as communities continue to confront the deluge of two tropical cyclones in Western Australia and the Northern Territory.

Snow is expected to fall in Tasmania, Victoria and southern parts of New South Wales, with enough moisture in the atmosphere to produce two to five centimetres of snow at some of Australia’s main ski resorts on Saturday and Sunday.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/weather/2019/03/29/big-chill-tropical-cyclones/

Will the grifter Dubyne once again claim “Three states carpeted with snow” to indicate a dusting of snow in the alpine areas? Is the Pope Catholic?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 30 Mar 2019, 13:11

Is this glacier on the east or the west side of Greenland?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 30 Mar 2019, 13:13

HBS Guy wrote:I would imagine they both did.

AMO—does not cause global cooling/heating, just redistributes heat/cold. Booby would not have a clue: he has clearly not had a tertiary (or even senior HS) education. Lees has not had much of an education, resents that and, I think, is scared shitless by AGW.

Dreggsie is just another useless c*** who hates his kids : :beer He possibly plays guitar lol :bgrin
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Mar 2019, 16:39

Bongalong wrote:Is this glacier on the east or the west side of Greenland?

West.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Mar 2019, 16:47

A climate scientist writes in Forbes about the slowdown of the J. glacier:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marshallshepherd/2019/03/26/the-good-bad-and-ugly-of-greenlands-jakobshavn-glacier-slowing-and-gaining-mass/#38b054dc2179

Bit of context:

A loooong period of retreat, not going to be changed overmuch by the NAO which last 5-20 years.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 31 Mar 2019, 16:13

HBS Guy wrote:

West.

Well, don't west coast have cold currents?

:OMG

No, seriously: that was a question because I don't know :Hi
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Mar 2019, 16:59

West coast experienced warm currents that melted the ice shelves that hold glaciers back. Now an oscillation within the North Atlantic has sent cold water north, slowing the Jacobshavn temporarily. These oscillations occur every 5-20 years so must have happened before during the time the Jacobshavn has been retreating.

Oscillation means masses of warm and cold water are moved around—somewhere the North Atlantic is warmer than before—what is that going to do? Ocean oscillations do not cause heating or cooling, just rearranges masses of cold and warm water.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 31 Mar 2019, 17:03

Bongalong wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:

West.

Well, don't west coast have cold currents?

:OMG

No, seriously: that was a question because I don't know :Hi

Rising sea temperatures along with heating atmosphere is what is causing the rapidly melting world glaciers, the currents coming to the arctic used to be cold, now they are warm. Check out the world maps of current flows and you will see the driving force for everything climate wise, is the southern ocean and by the time the currents reach the north, they have warmed considerably.

In the past the northern currents came form deep in the ocean, now with rising sea temps, they are coming from closer to the surface and so are effected by heat transference from the atmosphere to the oceans.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby Bongalong » 31 Mar 2019, 17:17

I believe Antarctica is sometimes referred to as the blender because heat comes via the ocean from the equator and the thermohaline cycle drags this heat to the bottom and when it hits the bottom it shoots back up to the equator along the ocean floor.

This is how heat is distributed through the ocean depths.

But the North hasn't got that continent at the pole like we have redistributing all that head to all the worlds oceans.
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Mar 2019, 17:20

It is the ocean that does it, the thermohaline does reverse at the Arctic, cold water sinks. Problem is so much melting the water is fresh and so lighter than the water it floats on.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 31 Mar 2019, 17:24

HBS Guy wrote:It is the ocean that does it, the thermohaline does reverse at the Arctic, cold water sinks. Problem is so much melting the water is fresh and so lighter than the water it floats on.

Lol, is that the complication? The thermohaline reverses at the north pole?!!?

:c :gup :gup :gup :gup :gup :gup :gup :gup :gup :gup

(Yeh, uh: I don't think I quite get why...................... :gsp :stop :stop :stop :stop :stop :stop :stop :stop :stop :stop :gsp :gsp :gsp )
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Mar 2019, 19:50

Then you need to read up a basic source about the global thermohaline circulation—and how it is being affected by AGW.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 01 Apr 2019, 10:46

HBS Guy wrote:Then you need to read up a basic source about the global thermohaline circulation—and how it is being affected by AGW.

Yeh, well, I don't really understand what you're saying so.... thus the public is confused!

It's a propaganda game... it's called politics!

If you subsidise a section of the regulated marketplace then it's going to become harder and harder to withdraw that injection because the rest of the economy has weaved its tentacles around it. If you want to tell the voting public to go get an education then they will just stick with the devil they know..... aslong as they've got beer and breaded chicken in the fridge why should they, en masse, give a shit?

Get a brain buddy :beer
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Dax » 01 Apr 2019, 12:20

Only fools refuse to learn about the reality of the world they live in and the effect it will have on them and their future.

If global thermohaline circulation stops, things may cool down in the nth hemisphere for awhile, before really heating up and it will change the weather patterns dramatically and not for the better.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby Bongalong » 01 Apr 2019, 12:32

Dax wrote:Only fools refuse to learn about the reality of the world they live in and the effect it will have on them and their future.

If global thermohaline circulation stops, things may cool down in the nth hemisphere for awhile, before really heating up and it will change the weather patterns dramatically and not for the better.

Well, was monk saying it was reversing in the Arctic or it simply reverses as a normal matter of course?

:bike

He won't explain....
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Apr 2019, 14:16

The North Atlantic Oscillation is now sending cold water north and, presumably, warm water south. In 2-17 years that will reverse once again. This oscillation has happened all through the time the Jacobshavn glacier has retreated over how ever many decades.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 01 Apr 2019, 14:18

HBS Guy wrote:The North Atlantic Oscillation is now sending cold water north and, presumably, warm water south. In 2-17 years that will reverse once again. This oscillation has happened all through the time the Jacobshavn glacier has retreated over how ever many decades.

WHAT ABOUT THE THERMOHALINE CYCLE?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Apr 2019, 14:41

The thermohaline circulation is in trouble.

Both Arctic and Antarctic—more melt water which is fresh water and so floats on top of the warmer but heavier, due to the salt content of that water. The Gulf Stream, the part coming from the Gulf of Mexico along the east coast of the US is sort of being blocked by the cold fresh water. So the warm water in the “Atlantic Conveyor” heads west rather than north.

This was expected to give the British Isles cold winters and very hot summers. Yet England had 21°C days this winter and Holland had 18°C days. Incredible! Holland averages 18°C over summer! It was fucking cold when I lived there as a young child, cold even in summer!

If you want to know more, DRAH, do some research. I will be fascinated to know how knowledge/events are progressing.

Couple winters ago England had the “Beast from the East” but this NH winter the US copped it—a bow in the Jet Stream let Arctic air move south over parts of Canada and the CONUS. Yet Alaska has been warm for some years—the shape of the Jet Stream.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 01 Apr 2019, 14:48

I thought I followed up your Holland clue and found that 18C wasn't such an anomaly! (I'm not sure if you said 18C before, maybe more like 15C?!!?)
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Bongalong » 01 Apr 2019, 14:50

Secondly, if you want to tell me to go and do some homework then bow to the apathy of democracy my friend and don't go thinking you are one measure of a cut above the fray!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Apr 2019, 17:15

I said 18°C and that is indeed an anomaly for a Dutch winter!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Next

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market