What are you doing right now?

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: What are you doing right now?

Postby johnsmith » 10 Feb 2019, 17:30

SethBullock wrote: -8.3 Celcius

:b :b :b

Time to move. Gold Coast is pretty good Seth, you'll never need that wood burning stove to keep you warm again.

You won't be able to walk around with your handguns though. Which is probably a good thing since it's to bloody hot to carry any more than necessary anyway. Just keep them in your safe until you go shooting. :bgrin
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

spamone: Animal

Postby pinkeye » 11 Feb 2019, 01:11

Lols wrote:Went for a lovely (much needed) 2 day break down Port Phillip Bay at son's place in Mount Martha.
Took a walk along the Mornington Pier, beautiful sunshine, sea breeze and amazing to see monuments
of Captain Matthew Flinders, particularly after his remains were just found in London where they were excavating
for the new train line. He had a lead plate on his chest to indicate it was he. Died at a young age of 44, don't know what he
died of, but others were buried nearby also.

very interesting and beautiful.

Matthew Flinders was a real hero of early Australia... the first man to circumnavigate the continent that became the Australian nation, long after his demise. An amazing man....

There is a great book..' Matthew Flinder's Cat ' ..... about a life worth reading about. AND a Cat.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Lols » 11 Feb 2019, 20:37

Matthew Flinders was a real hero of early Australia... the first man to circumnavigate the continent that became the Australian nation, long after his demise. An amazing man....

There is a great book..' Matthew Flinder's Cat ' ..... about a life worth reading about. AND a Cat.

I had a look at that book, and saw a audio e book, costs more than a reading book, but would be good to listen to whilst driving, or cooking/doing dishes etc
Reviews were good. And author Bryce Courtney, what a legend!
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby Aussie » 11 Feb 2019, 22:15

Lols wrote:

I had a look at that book, and saw a audio e book, costs more than a reading book, but would be good to listen to whilst driving, or cooking/doing dishes etc
Reviews were good. And author Bryce Courtney, what a legend!

Ya know what really pisses me? It is as though it was just Flinders and his cat Trim who were on that boat, Investigator. Both Flinders and the stupid cat have statues.....yet no-one else.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby pinkeye » 11 Feb 2019, 22:36

Pisses you off.?
At least I know who Matthew Flinders was, and what was achieved, obviously by ALL involved.

Everyone can't be the hero.

Trim.. sigh... Aussie? people really value their connections with animals, past and present, and I thought it was a great read.

I'd recommend it.

And yes it reflects in many ways the total focus on the European. Of the time.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Aussie » 11 Feb 2019, 22:45

pinkeye wrote:Pisses you off.?
At least I know who Matthew Flinders was, and what was achieved, obviously by ALL involved.

Everyone can't be the hero.

Trim.. sigh... Aussie? people really value their connections with animals, past and present, and I thought it was a great read.

I'd recommend it.

And yes it reflects in many ways the total focus on the European. Of the time.

Can you name even ONE of that 'all?'
Aussie

Postby pinkeye » 11 Feb 2019, 23:04

Only if I still had the book, I admit.

If then, I guess you're saying.
I think the book started on a description of the statue of Trim, tucked away in a spot on a major Sydney building. I'd never heard of Trim before. It went from there.

Aussie.. THIS IS AUSTRALIA.

Remember our history here..?

Of course I understand. If someone were to write a book about the companions of Matthew Flinders on that journey, I 'd read it.
What else is there to say, ….except white folk tend to write about white folk.
You know.? How can they do else.? They cannot write about the 'Dreamtime'. !

Takes a lot of dedication and research to write a book like that. And you can take that both ways.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Aussie » 12 Feb 2019, 08:07

pinkeye wrote:Only if I still had the book, I admit.

If then, I guess you're saying.
I think the book started on a description of the statue of Trim, tucked away in a spot on a major Sydney building. I'd never heard of Trim before. It went from there.

Aussie.. THIS IS AUSTRALIA.

Remember our history here..?

Of course I understand. If someone were to write a book about the companions of Matthew Flinders on that journey, I 'd read it.
What else is there to say, ….except white folk tend to write about white folk.
You know.? How can they do else.? They cannot write about the 'Dreamtime'. !

Takes a lot of dedication and research to write a book like that. And you can take that both ways.

Google Bungaree.
Aussie

Postby SethBullock » 12 Feb 2019, 11:46

Just drove home from work. Temps have risen above freezing, so no snow. But it is frickin' POURING!

Wish I could give you some of it for your rivers.

Could turn to some wet snow tonight says the weatherman. We'll see.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 15 Feb 2019, 00:30

Enjoying a cooler day/night. It was 41' here yesterday. Today..? only 34' :purple

But that's not going to last long. Predicted up to 36' a bit later in the week. I think we might be in for a hammering here soon.
Umm.. another Tropical Cyclone.. called OMA is heading our way from Vanuatu ....

No-one is saying much about it here, except... we are going to get huge seas and WIND. Not much rain. How can that be possible? when it is over water.?

BOM our (bureau of meterology) shows maps in a series of forecasts.

There is a blocking High still lingering to the south, and a low front is approaching, and then apparently receding from the East Coast. The TC OMA is currently a Category 2.

This could be something ELSE.

If only we could get some rain.. no winds to rip out trees, and take off roofs.

There were bushfires south of here, in Nthn NSW.. that destroyed about 8 homes today. An old comrade ( :roll )from OzPol lives there. Tabulam. I do hope he and his family are good.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Texan » 15 Feb 2019, 03:24

80% chance of freezing rain tomorrow in Tulsa, OK and Wichita, KS. I'm supposed to drive to Wichita from Tulsa tomorrow, but I don't know if I want to risk it. I want to see my granddaughter, but I want to live long enough for her to remember me. It's just a 3 hrs drive. I should be ok if I stick to the main highways. There's no guarantee that the roads would be any better on the 5 hour drive to home.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 15 Feb 2019, 04:02

better safe than sorry Texan.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Feb 2019, 17:24

TC OMA? If she is like MY Oma she will be gentle, loving and giving.

Of course, my Oma died in 1958.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Texan » 16 Feb 2019, 18:03

I managed to get to Wichita. The main highways were pretreated with a brine solution to prevent ice and I was able to drive at normal highway speeds. I took my son and his wife to a steak dinner and we settled in before dark came and the roads froze solid with ice. Tomorrow, we will go visit my sons in laws. I'm getting some great baby time. Mrs Texan is soooo jealous right now.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby johnsmith » 16 Feb 2019, 18:10

Texan wrote:I managed to get to Wichita. The main highways were pretreated with a brine solution to prevent ice and I was able to drive at normal highway speeds. I took my son and his wife to a steak dinner and we settled in before dark came and the roads froze solid with ice. Tomorrow, we will go visit my sons in laws. I'm getting some great baby time. Mrs Texan is soooo jealous right now.

Enjoy yourself, and the little one. And take care on the drive back :thumb
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 17 Feb 2019, 00:17

ditto :thumb
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 17 Feb 2019, 00:22

It was cooler here today 31' and mostly overcast. Tomorrow, more overcast and 33'.

I think the next week will be very interesting for us here on the East Coast of Australia.

By Thursday, maybe sooner, we might have an idea .. I hope it's not going to become a big problem, but OMA is set to strengthen and head our way. I have concern about Wind...

Its a given that that the coastal fringe will be eroded badly.. life is always ..

a MYSTERY
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby mothra » 17 Feb 2019, 00:33

It's been really weird down here. January was all high 30s and 40s and stuff and February (tuhs far) is all in the 20s and early 30s.

Not complaining ... but weird.
mothra
Duck

Postby pinkeye » 17 Feb 2019, 01:02

Well we are definitely facing changing circumstances, weatherwise.

I umm did predict the massive floods.. the Monsoon .. this year, back in late December, and I feel you are right. Weather is weird at the moment.

Predictions were for DRY from BOM.. but I didn't think so.. I hoped not. But we certainly got plenty up North.
Not so much, virtually nothing in fact, in SEQ.

Now? Tropical Cyclone OMA.. It is predicted to head our way.. strengthening as it comes. I see the High stalling it... but winds are going to be bad... high seas, and

from there... OMA might prevail.. or the Highs might bat it off....

very interesting........

I'll wait now, as we all will. To see what our Mother dishes up.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Lols » 17 Feb 2019, 17:41

Weather has been mild here. Cooled off a bit thank goodness, and just sunny and pleasant now
Mad week with appointments twice for vet as dear dog has cataracts and then has a urinary tract infection. Vet showed me under microscope what dogs urine sample looked like, it looked tiny shards of glass pieces floating about.
Now it took me some effort to get a urine sample from the dog, trying to guess when he would wee, and following him around with a bowl! But I did get it!
The other appointment was hubby going to a neurologist and found out his feet problem, he has damaged nerves He can’t feel his feet. Says when he walks like walking in rocks. More tests to follow. But at least it’s not something like MS or MND.
Our neighbour just found out he had MND, he went to turn the key to the car, and had no strength to turn the key. His muscles are wasting. Been given 2 years. I wonder if stress brought it on for him, because a few short years ago, his son was killed in a plane crash, he was doing a lot if flying hours for his commercial pilots licence. Now I’m all depressed I will go watch a stupid show called Married at first sight!!
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby pinkeye » 17 Feb 2019, 23:23

Bummer. It is manageable tho…. usually.

He may have damage to his nerves. (oh, you said that already)

umm.. not the central nervous system, the peripheral... numbness to the extremities, that may present as minor or significant, does indicate this.
Personal experience.. I'm a person who experiences similar. The numbness can move around, can be cramping of toes, feet, tendons, burning sensations, and this can occur in the hands as well.

Also, arms, or legs can experience areas of numbness, tingling and/ or burning.

For months, my left upper outer thigh felt like a lump of itchy burny numb blubber.. I'd find myself scratching it, seemingly to get the feeling back I think.

It's gone away now.. these symptoms tend to move around. Anyway I've been told there is no repairing this damage. I manage the associated pain with medication.. and it works well.

Good luck.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby SethBullock » 18 Feb 2019, 05:30

I’m about to watch the Daytona 500. Do they broadcast it in Australia?

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 18 Feb 2019, 08:00

SethBullock wrote:I’m about to watch the Daytona 500. Do they broadcast it in Australia?

Seems not.
Aussie

Postby SethBullock » 18 Feb 2019, 08:18

Aussie wrote:
SethBullock wrote:I’m about to watch the Daytona 500. Do they broadcast it in Australia?

Seems not.

Bummer! Final pit stops have been made. Final laps coming up. Exciting race!

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Feb 2019, 08:51

Sometime in the early 1990s I decided that when my favorite niece had her kids I did not want to be a shuffling, Ventolin puffing, shuffling old fart and gave up smoking. Never smoked again.

Seven years ago less a couple of months I loaded Mum into the car and drove 450Km to Mt Gambier to visit niece and greatniece (and Mum’s grand daughter and great granddaughter. Milly was born 2 days before my birthday—I told my niece she had to tell the doctors to induce her on Sunday not Friday :rofl :rofl :rofl

Mum had had a cornea replacement operation so after refuelling on the way back I had to put drops in her eye on the servos apron.

And as I held Milly she dropped a very loud fart into my hand :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

Be no more great nieces/nephews.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Sand Pit