Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Jan 2019, 16:42

No complaints!

Tomorrow—jellies!

Blancmange
Strawberry
Cherry
blueberry
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Agness » 08 Jan 2019, 17:41

the point of pav is telling what you loaded it up with- so? Cream and ------?
Agness
Rainbow lorikeet

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Jan 2019, 18:27

Cream and . . . fruit.

Tomorrow—Thai fish cakes. Bought some cod, $29.99/Kg. Usually use deep sea bream $15/Kg. Using bought Thai red curry paste: if I make my own most of it would go off before I could begin to use it all.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Tally » 09 Jan 2019, 12:04

I've never made a pav from scratch and just buy the ones from the fridge with the shell and soft meringue :hush
Luceat Lux Vestra
Tally
Jack Russell

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Jan 2019, 17:09

There is a little Family Circle cookbook “Cheesecakes pavlovas and trifles” I got via ebay for about $5.00. If you visit a few op shops you might get it a bit cheaper. The one I made worked alright.

OK, relish made and cooling in the fridge. 16 little balls of cod, red curry paste, green beans, coriander/cilantro, fish sauce, egg ready to pop in the deep fryer. Love my Thai fish cakes!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Jan 2019, 20:58

Fish cakes finally cooking—I’m starving!

Tasted one, had to used a lot of cornstarch and it shows in the taste, unfortunately. Ah well, still nice and spicy.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 09 Jan 2019, 23:13

still haven't tried to make them... uh huh... but I had a beautiful thai spicy soup I cooked the other night. Rice Vermicelli always.

I'd previously made some stock.. from prawn heads lemon grass, ginger, chilli, curry leaf, lemon rind and juice, black pepper etc etc..
I mashed then sieved it , then I froze the liquid in two batches. Oh yummy.

The second effort was the charm The first was OK but I was distracted.
Second time round ( I'm doing this again :bgrin ) I added a little soy sauce, what I thought was an overdose of Sesame Oil, and OD on sugar.. A dash of fish sauce AND

Oh my goodness me.. it's I good thing I didn't make more... I would have burst like that Monty Python skit.... :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Jan 2019, 11:23

Ha!

Well, I bought 6 nice, ripe if small mangoes at the market just now. I am going to make mango butter with cardamom! YUM!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Jan 2019, 18:46

Just bringing this to the front for tomorrow—can’t find the bloody book “Tart and Sweet” that has the complete recipe:

I have simmering

2.5Kg mangoes, peeled and chopped—have the stones in there too, stew the flesh off them, get some nice pecting
230ml each orange and lemon juice
tsp cardamom seeds, dry roasted and ground
2 scoops sugar

This makes a rather nice mango and cardamom butter. Will have to buy some orange juice but should have enough lemons, I think. don’t have 2.5Kg/5lb mangoes anyway. Nevermind, can into 100ml jars.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 10 Jan 2019, 19:23

what a waste of mango :roll
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Jan 2019, 19:57

No way.

These are very ripe, can get better eating mangoes (reflected in the price, $1.50 each.

Will eat this in winter, bit of summer on my plate.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Jan 2019, 17:29

Heh, still buying cheap cookbooks and some not quite so cheap.

Spent some time in op shops today, got some cooking and gardening books, 50¢ to $2.00, good value. Also 2 Earth Garden magazines with 3 articles on gardening in clay. These mags were free: I will write down any info and pass them on to another op shop.

Today I received through the post a really nice book: “A bowful of broth” by Miranda Ballard. Also received “Johannes Kepler and the new astronomy” which should be interesting. Kepler had a medieval mind yet his astronomy, reformulated by Newton is very modern, dispensing with the whole geocentric astronomy and it s fiddly rubbish to try to make it work.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 14 Jan 2019, 22:09

ummmmmmmmmmmmm

yeah righteo :bgrin

I actually consider recipes as guides only, and sometime tyrants. I've actually tried a few actual 'recipes'.... and end up with so much washing up, it's a real pain in the ……….

Besides... I only have to please myself. :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jan 2019, 09:57

Fried peaches for breakfast. Yum.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 16 Jan 2019, 10:03

greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Texan » 16 Jan 2019, 10:25

Roast beef, stewed in water and cream of mushroom soup with onions, potatoes, and carrots, poured into a bowl and flavored with pepper, salsa, and cheddar cheese. Dinner.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible.
President Sam Houston
Texan
Cheetah

Postby Dax » 16 Jan 2019, 10:36

Texan wrote:Roast beef, stewed in water and cream of mushroom soup with onions, potatoes, and carrots, poured into a bowl and flavored with pepper, salsa, and cheddar cheese. Dinner.

Wonderful heart attack food.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby greggerypeccary » 16 Jan 2019, 10:40

Texan wrote:Roast beef, stewed in water and cream of mushroom soup with onions, potatoes, and carrots, poured into a bowl and flavored with pepper, salsa, and cheddar cheese. Dinner.

Mmm, yum.

The salsa is a little unusual, though.

Not that popular here in Australia, except as a dip for corn chips.

greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby Texan » 16 Jan 2019, 11:02

greggerypeccary wrote:

Mmm, yum.

The salsa and grated cheddar was my idea. The lovely Mrs Texan didn't include that. I flavor many things with salsa at times. Sometimes, I put it in scrambled eggs, black eyed peas, green beans, and on reheated steak leftovers to give it a little moisture and zest. I won't ruin a hot steak off of the grill. I also dip grilled cheese sandwiches in salsa. These aren't normal mainstays of even the Texas public. It's just one of my little salsa quirks. I usually use the extra chunky salsa for adding to foods so that the salsa doesn't just overwhelm the taste of the food, except on reheated steaks. Microwaved steak leftovers need a little extra help.

When I make breakfast, I fry the bacon first and poor off the bacon grease, but use the seasoned pan to scramble my eggs. Add biscuits and gravy or jelly with orange juice and you have a good breakfast. Our biscuits are kind of like your scones. Your biscuits are our "cookies".
Govern wisely, and as little as possible.
President Sam Houston
Texan
Cheetah

Postby greggerypeccary » 16 Jan 2019, 11:10

Texan wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:

Mmm, yum.

The salsa and grated cheddar was my idea. The lovely Mrs Texan didn't include that. I flavor many things with salsa at times. Sometimes, I put it in scrambled eggs, black eyed peas, green beans, and on reheated steak leftovers to give it a little moisture and zest. I won't ruin a hot steak off of the grill. I also dip grilled cheese sandwiches in salsa. These aren't normal mainstays of even the Texas public. It's just one of my little salsa quirks. I usually use the extra chunky salsa for adding to foods so that the salsa doesn't just overwhelm the taste of the food, except on reheated steaks

When I make breakfast, I fry the bacon first and poor off the bacon grease, but use the seasoned pan to scramble my eggs. Add biscuits and gravy or jelly with orange juice and you have a good breakfast. Our biscuits are kind of like your scones. Your biscuits are our "cookies".

Interesting.

Another word difference came up there - jelly.

Here in Australia, jelly is a desert (which we often have with ice-cream).

What you call jelly, we call jam.

So, what do you call what we call jelly? :?

Jelly:

Jam:
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby greggerypeccary » 16 Jan 2019, 11:48

greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby greggerypeccary » 16 Jan 2019, 11:55

Do Americans have junket?

greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jan 2019, 16:07

A jam is a conserve or a preserve I suppose?

Can have fruit jellies—pectin the setting agent. Red currant jelly the most well known I guess.

Jelly—set by gelatine. Use leaf gelatine, not the powdered gunk.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Jan 2019, 16:07

Junket, hmmm, my sis made junket a couple times, not that exciting and never made it again or even thought about it.

Damn, can’t think of the name now but a dish of milk and wine was a test how good a young woman’s cooking was.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lols » 31 Jan 2019, 19:46

I've been addicted to watching MKR (My Kitchen Rules), and amazing how a lot of recipes that most have always made, seem to stuff up on the night.
Is it all the cameras in their faces that make them nervous or something?

It reminds me of students performing at concerts at the end of the year. If they are not used to being in front of large crowds, and have always played their musical instrument alone,
they would feel intimidated.
So having known this all my life, I used to do antics to make my young piano students so they would be fail safe.

Pretending there are crowds of people in the room, and some would giggle, some would get up and walk somewhere, some would talk, some would just stare, etc.
And I would literally do cartwheels to make them distract proof! :giggle Yes, all that acting worked, they were crowd proofed!!! And perfomed beautifully and happily.
Pays to have a kooky teacher :thumb :yahoo
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic