Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby pinkeye » 21 Oct 2018, 03:28

johnsmith wrote:
pinkeye wrote:I see no milk on those DOLMADES

fisherman wrote:. Problem is I'm out of Bulgarian milk (you call it yogurt, we call it just milk, or kiselo mlyako)

the yogurt Pink :hush

Dolmades and Sarmi are he same thing ..... one is the Greek name, the other Romanian/Bulgarian

yeah I figured that out. But that white thing to the left of the Dolmades..? isn't that a poached egg?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby fisherman » 21 Oct 2018, 03:31

pinkeye wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
pinkeye wrote:I see no milk on those DOLMADES

fisherman wrote:. Problem is I'm out of Bulgarian milk (you call it yogurt, we call it just milk, or kiselo mlyako)

the yogurt Pink :hush

Dolmades and Sarmi are he same thing ..... one is the Greek name, the other Romanian/Bulgarian

yeah I figured that out. But that white thing to the left of the Dolmades..? isn't that a poached egg?

Milk. Bulgarian milk, synonyms: sour milk, salty yogurt. Pick one. I'd respect Bulgarian and call it that way.
fisherman

Postby DonDeeHippy » 21 Oct 2018, 08:17

nope yogurt is definitely a Indian word derived from Yoga and they used to drink it after a injury hence yoga & hurt = yogurt
It's true sorry to say:purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Irish wolfhound

Postby johnsmith » 21 Oct 2018, 08:22

:rofl
you're on a roll today Don
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby dissilymordentroge » 21 Oct 2018, 08:37

DonDeeHippy wrote:nope yogurt is definitely a Indian word derived from Yoga and they used to drink it after a injury hence yoga & hurt = yogurt

What are you smoking? I want some !
The Human Race is insane.
dissilymordentroge
Jack Russell

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Oct 2018, 09:54

Something, not sure what, but something is telling me dissy went to a nun school and did not like the experience. Me too.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 21 Oct 2018, 12:05

maybe t was something he ate :roll
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Irish wolfhound

Postby Texan » 21 Oct 2018, 15:32

I had beef fajitas last night. Sizzling steak strips, with pico de gallo, guacamole, refried beans, rice, cheddar cheese, grilled onions and peppers, all inside hot buttered flour tortillas. Nothing beats Tex-mex, but steak and potato is a close 2nd.
Texan
Feral cat

Postby Aussie » 21 Oct 2018, 15:58

Texan wrote:I had beef fajitas last night. Sizzling steak strips, with pico de gallo, guacamole, refried beans, rice, cheddar cheese, grilled onions and peppers, all inside hot buttered flour tortillas. Nothing beats Tex-mex, but steak and potato is a close 2nd.

Jayzuz.....that'd feed me for a week!

Nothing beats a good T-bone, mashed potatos and peas.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby fisherman » 21 Oct 2018, 16:04

DonDeeHippy wrote:nope yogurt is definitely a Indian word derived from Yoga and they used to drink it after a injury hence yoga & hurt = yogurt

Very stupid. It's a Turkish word -- yoğurt. We can bet €50 if you'd like. Bulgaria was at the time part of the Ottoman Empire. So they ate our milk and called it yogurt. Nothing to do with India. Indians never invented anything besides public defecation. Yes. Indians shit in their rivers, and on their streets.

Google: INDIA PUBLIC DEFECATION
fisherman

Postby johnsmith » 21 Oct 2018, 17:36

fisherman wrote:

Very stupid. It's a Turkish word -- yoğurt. We can bet €50 if you'd like. Bulgaria was at the time part of the Ottoman Empire. So they ate our milk and called it yogurt. Nothing to do with India. Indians never invented anything besides public defecation. Yes. Indians shit in their rivers, and on their streets.

:grn

he was yanking your chain
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby johnsmith » 21 Oct 2018, 17:37

Texan wrote:I had beef fajitas last night. Sizzling steak strips, with pico de gallo, guacamole, refried beans, rice, cheddar cheese, grilled onions and peppers, all inside hot buttered flour tortillas. Nothing beats Tex-mex, but steak and potato is a close 2nd.

making me hungry just reading it. I love mex .
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby dissilymordentroge » 21 Oct 2018, 20:44

HBS Guy wrote:Something, not sure what, but something is telling me dissy went to a nun school and did not like the experience. Me too.

No, I escaped that but was exposed to enough of Rome’s doings behind the scenes when studying the pipe organ for 11 years at a Catholic cathedral.
dissilymordentroge
Jack Russell

Postby pinkeye » 22 Oct 2018, 01:33

:bgrin :bgrin that is funny :thumb
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby fisherman » 22 Oct 2018, 03:28

johnsmith wrote:
fisherman wrote:

:grn

he was yanking your chain

fisherman

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Oct 2018, 16:34

Porterhouse steak tonight, with tomato, capsicum (bell pepper,) chili and mushrooms.

Tomorrow—lamb backstrap with chats and wilted spinach.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Oct 2018, 17:54

I found out that the family Christmas lunch is in Adelaide (well, Coromandel Valley) and THAT means—Taygen and Milly will be here Christmass Eve and I can entertain them to an elaborate Christmass Eve dinner.

Have roughed out a menu:

Entree
Curried duck or some Thai “moneybags” stuffed with duck, prawn etc.

Soup
Cold soup, flavored with duck meat

Red wine
Chilled rosé

Pasta
Home made pasta with duck eggs

Salad
Warm duck salad

Roast
Fried duck breast with blueberries
Truffle and mushroom risotto

Desert wine, botrytis riesling
Desert
Icecream and mango
Fresh seasonal fruit

Coffee
Port
or
Muscat
muscatels

Might be overdoing the duck.

Like the entree to feature duck, maybe the chilled (be bloody hot I am thinking Christmass) soup needs only duck stuck or not have duck at all.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby dissilymordentroge » 23 Oct 2018, 19:12

HBS Guy wrote:I found out that the family Christmas lunch is in Adelaide (well, Coromandel Valley) and THAT means—Taygen and Milly will be here Christmass Eve and I can entertain them to an elaborate Christmass Eve dinner.

Have roughed out a menu:

Entree
Curried duck or some Thai “moneybags” stuffed with duck, prawn etc.

Soup
Cold soup, flavored with duck meat

Red wine
Chilled rosé

Pasta
Home made pasta with duck eggs

Salad
Warm duck salad

Roast
Fried duck breast with blueberries
Truffle and mushroom risotto

Desert wine, botrytis riesling
Desert
Icecream and mango
Fresh seasonal fruit

Coffee
Port
or
Muscat
muscatels

Might be overdoing the duck.

Like the entree to feature duck, maybe the chilled (be bloody hot I am thinking Christmass) soup needs only duck stuck or not have duck at all.

Sure is overloaded with duck. Maybe you’ve got a back yard overoaded with them and want to reduce the numbers?

Rosé by the way isn’t a red wine or did you mean Rosé AND a red wine?

I wouldn’t bother with the duck & or prawn ‘moneybags’ if you’re having pasta later on. Australian prawns, shelled and de-veined and quickly sautéd with garlic & ginger, served on sliced cos lettuce with a lime wedge on the side would be a better bet. Given the rest of your menu I’d limit the number of (largish) prawns to three per person.

Ice-cream and mango is better on a hot SA Christmas Day than plum pudding with brandy butter. How about giving it a lift though with something like a splash of quince liqueur? Let me know if you decide to go with that & I’ll send you some of my home brew.
Home made pasta with duck eggs sounds great depending on how you treat the duck eggs. I’d whisk them with a little cream chopped italian parsly, fresh tarragon and duck liver paté (bought) warmed gently and folded into the pasta at the last minute. Decorate with a few small chunks of the paté and more of the chopped parsley.
I’d make the pasta the first coarse followed by the soup which to compete with the Thai curried duck &/or prawns should be in the style of Vietnamse Duck Pho (made the day before!) or similar. A smallish bowl would be enough.
https://honest-food.net/duck-pho-call-it-phuk/
I wouldn’t have muscat and muscatels - too similar. Muscat and cherries if you can get them this year would be a better combination.
As to the Rosé I’d go to the effort and expense of the best Rosé in Australia from THREE WILLOWS which just happens to come from near my place in Nth Tas.
[url][URL=http://s185.photobucket.com/user/pickleberry_photos/media/fullsizeoutput_ff9_360x_zpskh0nhwto.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
Last edited by dissilymordentroge on 23 Oct 2018, 19:36, edited 5 times in total.
dissilymordentroge
Jack Russell

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Oct 2018, 19:20

Yeah, overloaded, but only the first draught.

Duck terrine on slices baguette might make a nice entree. Plain chilled soup before or after entree.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Oct 2018, 19:23

I put rosé as the red (=non–white wine) because it can be chilled.

Happy to have white wine all the way through, that can be chilled and it is a poultry–heavy menu anyway.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby dissilymordentroge » 23 Oct 2018, 19:31

HBS Guy wrote:I put rosé as the red (=non–white wine) because it can be chilled.

Happy to have white wine all the way through, that can be chilled and it is a poultry–heavy menu anyway.

I’d go with the rosé all the way and finish with a choice of some of your best apple cider (if not too dry) & a sweet desert wine of some kind. Or you can add a dash of quince liqueur to the apple cider. Don’t cringe, it really works.
dissilymordentroge
Jack Russell

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Oct 2018, 19:49

Will look for vodka and quinces Thursday.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Oct 2018, 19:50

No cider yet, plant the trees next April.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby dissilymordentroge » 23 Oct 2018, 20:16

HBS Guy wrote:Will look for vodka and quinces Thursday.

Email me a post office box number or name a post office & I’ll send you a bottle. You haven’t time to make quince liqueur properly between now and december. The commercially available stuff,especially that from Japan, is overpriced crap.
dissilymordentroge
Jack Russell

Postby johnsmith » 23 Oct 2018, 20:30

where's mine? :WTF

just kidding. I wouldn't know what to do with it anyway.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic