Getting a Green Vehicle

For scientific papers on AGW, record happenings in the Arctic and the Greenland, Himalayan and Antarctic icesheets. Also weatherstorms and higher than average rainfalls and other extreme weather events.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Getting a Green Vehicle

Postby DonDeeHippy » 11 Oct 2018, 12:10

Well next Friday i'm getting a new Nissan 4x4 ute..... If only I could of waited a few more years to get a electric one..
On the beginning of my journey to get a replacement for my old 2 wheel drive ute.
I only looked at price and started with the Greatwall then the LDV.....
It then occurred to me that, I spend most of my time preaching about making the earth a better place to live..
So I found the best fuel economy on a ute.... found the Nissan Navara
it gets 6.5 little for 100km
the rest r about 8.5 L for 100km which isn't to bad either.
the worst r the ford and Mazda with over 10L for 100km
i'll keep this ute forever and probable be the last ute i buy (unless electric ute become cheep)
so i worked on 200,000 down the track and realized thats 4000l less diesel than the competitors and about a $6000 saving if fuel is $1.50 a litre..

The Nissan utes r $30,000 and the LDV is $27,000 and the Greatwall is $23,000 , take off six grand and its cheaper than a chinses ute and 1 grand more than a greatwall, the suspension on the greatwall is no different from the 2wd and would take probably $1500 to upgrade and no cruise control....
I'm just glad i didnt worry about price and went for best for the environment because i'm pleasantly surprized that in the lifetime of the ute i got the cheapest one anyway :)
:purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Re: Getting a Green Vehicle

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Oct 2018, 12:16

Ahahaha well done!

See my post re more charging stations here? Might get that Elect. Ute yet!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Oct 2018, 12:24

I love how my 2L Mazda3 does far fewer RPM than my admittedly old 2L Telstar did. Courtesy of 2 more forward gears, maybe the 4 valves per cylinder help? I bought a TomTom Go620 SatNav, cost a bit under $300, would have paid for itself in no speeding fines—warns you when exceeding the speed limit. Couple times on way back from Melbourne last April it warned me speed limit had changed from 110 to 100kph. Copped a $420 fine for doing 110 in 100 zone on way back from initial trip to Tassie Aug–Sep 16. So the TomTom only has to save one speeding fine and it has paid for itself. It also helps me go to where I want pretty good. The trip planning in the TomTom Connect software sucks big time tho. Pity, some good rest breaks here and there increase road safety.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 11 Oct 2018, 12:40

DonDeeHippy wrote:Well next Friday i'm getting a new Nissan 4x4 ute..... If only I could of waited a few more years to get a electric one..
On the beginning of my journey to get a replacement for my old 2 wheel drive ute.
I only looked at price and started with the Greatwall then the LDV.....
It then occurred to me that, I spend most of my time preaching about making the earth a better place to live..
So I found the best fuel economy on a ute.... found the Nissan Navara
it gets 6.5 little for 100km
the rest r about 8.5 L for 100km which isn't to bad either.
the worst r the ford and Mazda with over 10L for 100km
i'll keep this ute forever and probable be the last ute i buy (unless electric ute become cheep)
so i worked on 200,000 down the track and realized thats 4000l less diesel than the competitors and about a $6000 saving if fuel is $1.50 a litre..

The Nissan utes r $30,000 and the LDV is $27,000 and the Greatwall is $23,000 , take off six grand and its cheaper than a chinses ute and 1 grand more than a greatwall, the suspension on the greatwall is no different from the 2wd and would take probably $1500 to upgrade and no cruise control....
I'm just glad i didnt worry about price and went for best for the environment because i'm pleasantly surprized that in the lifetime of the ute i got the cheapest one anyway :)
:purple

I invariably do not buy the cheapest 'whatever.'
I always refuse the cheapest quote.
You have bought the 'dearest' ute. Congratulations.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little.
When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all.
When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.
The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done.
If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

John Ruskin
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Oct 2018, 12:46

That is not my Mum’s philosophy :rofl :rofl :rofl

It is why I bought only Apple computers for my businesses, they lasted well. The young son of a computer shop owner was amazed I bought a brand name monitor for one of my computers instead of a no-name cheapy. Pays off in the long run!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 11 Oct 2018, 14:12

Nissan makes a good engine to! almost bulletproof.
The thing just keeps going no matter how much you neglect it, or at least my old pulsar did. I used to thrash the crap out of it and it never let me down
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby DonDeeHippy » 12 Oct 2018, 08:29

yeah this will be my third new Nissan ute... if its as good as the other ones i'll have it along time :)
my last one I put on about 250k and then it sat on the land for 6 years then my son had it as his first car....u could imagine the thrashing it got for the last 18 months of its life.... that was 5 years ago and its still going as a farm runabout
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Pitbull terrier

Postby Sprintcyclist » 12 Oct 2018, 10:55

DonDeeHippy wrote:yeah this will be my third new Nissan ute... if its as good as the other ones i'll have it along time :)
my last one I put on about 250k and then it sat on the land for 6 years then my son had it as his first car....u could imagine the thrashing it got for the last 18 months of its life.... that was 5 years ago and its still going as a farm runabout

Well, if you have bought 3 Nissans, they certainly have your vote.

As JohnSmith said - nissans are known for good engines
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby dissilymordentroge » 17 Oct 2018, 10:41

Sprintcyclist wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:yeah this will be my third new Nissan ute... if its as good as the other ones i'll have it along time :)

Well, if you have bought 3 Nissans, they certainly have your vote.

As JohnSmith said - nissans are known for good engines

Except for some of their Pintaras which could blow gaskets easily.
As to the idea of ecologically sound transport we still have to ask questions about how the extra electricity is going to be generated to run them.OK if you’re charging off your own solar panels at home but do we know the source of power at public charging stations? THen we have the yet to be faced questions of the disposal of old auto batteries some of which contain some very nasty chemicals.
The Human Race is insane.
dissilymordentroge
Jack Russell

Postby DonDeeHippy » 18 Oct 2018, 09:01

well, EV's are lot more economical than a ICE so use about 3-4 times less energy to use, also the grid is getting cleaner and cleaner.
Even if all ev's where powered by coal power plants, 1 the pollution wouldn't be straight from the tail pipe and into big cities
and 2 the pollution would be far less because 1 million ICE vehicals will polute more than 1 power station.
However as our grids r getting cleaner so will EV's get cleaner.
The Batteries in EV's a rather large and worth while to Recycle, lithium batteries are considered non toxic and only the cobalt in them is considered dangerous. Tesla and other battery manufacturers r changing the design to get rid of cobalt as well.

Considering the Battery in a Tesla has the capacity to make a vehicle go 1.6 million km's, it will take awhile before they r thrown away :)
DonDeeHippy
Pitbull terrier

Postby dissilymordentroge » 20 Oct 2018, 23:12

DonDeeHippy wrote:
Considering the Battery in a Tesla has the capacity to make a vehicle go 1.6 million km's, it will take awhile before they r thrown away :)

How many Teslas have already travelled 1.6 million KMS ? I hope you’re right though.
dissilymordentroge
Jack Russell

Postby DonDeeHippy » 21 Oct 2018, 06:26

dissilymordentroge wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:

How many Teslas have already travelled 1.6 million KMS ? I hope you’re right though.

well the S is only 6 years old so none.... But there is a company in LA that does a drive it yourself service between LA and san Francisco and they have a few vehicles that have done 800,000 km's :purple
DonDeeHippy
Pitbull terrier

Postby dissilymordentroge » 22 Oct 2018, 19:32

DonDeeHippy wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:

well the S is only 6 years old so none.... But there is a company in LA that does a drive it yourself service between LA and san Francisco and they have a few vehicles that have done 800,000 km's :purple

In Australia the real problem is the lack of public charging stations. In Tasmania I’ve yet to see one.
dissilymordentroge
Jack Russell

Postby fisherman » 23 Oct 2018, 01:43

DonDeeHippy wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:

In Australia the real problem is the lack of public charging stations. In Tasmania I’ve yet to see one.

What about New Zealand? How's there?
fisherman
Feral cat

Postby pinkeye » 23 Oct 2018, 01:54

Nice to have money :bike :roll
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Return to Global Warming and Australian Energy Market