Imagine if men were afraid to walk home alone at night

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Postby mothra » 09 Oct 2018, 11:02

There was uproar when women discussed an imaginary 9pm curfew on men, but the anger is misdirected

What do women really want? And what would the crazy feminists do if they finally managed to steal all the rights from men, lock them up at night and keep the power for themselves? Well, the answers are just in, thanks to a thought experiment, and they might surprise you. “Ladies … what would you do if all men had a 9pm curfew?” mused Danielle Muscato in a random Tuesday morning tweet, adding: “Dudes: read the replies and pay attention.”

Thousands of women responded, and the rather pathetic outcome is that if women found themselves in charge of the world, they would … walk places, sometimes, without feeling scared. Home from the station after work, maybe, or in the woods alone at night. Some would take the chance to buy their groceries while the shops are quiet. Lots would go for a run. Many said they would even listen to music on earbuds while doing so. Radical!

Men did read the replies, and some of them were furious. Demanding a 9pm curfew because you believe that all men are rapists is stupid, hysterical and basically the same as racism, they said, even though nobody had recommended imposing a curfew, or said that all men were anything. And, while it was sad to read how little it would take to make a lot of women really happy, it was also depressing to see people getting so angry about a hypothetical curfew, when women’s movement is curtailed in real life all the time.

Nearly four years ago, a man was sexually assaulting women in London, and police advised all local women to avoid walking alone at night until they caught him. This was December, so it was dark pretty much all the time. And the man still hasn’t been arrested. This is an actual curfew on women, recommended by the authorities (though of course I break it all the time to go out to work and back, and some men have told me that I jolly well deserve to be raped if I’m going to be so stubborn about it). Imagine if the police had instead asked men to stay in at night because of the behaviour of one man. The horror! Alongside the official advice, there is all the self-policing women do, sacrificing things we enjoy such as exercise or going out with friends or getting the night bus home. But nobody seemed to be angry about that.

A lot of the feelings seemed to be misdirected. Why were people so upset about several thousand women who spent a few seconds on a Tuesday morning enjoying imagining what they might do if they didn’t have to feel afraid? Where is all the anger towards the small proportion of men who make us have to be scared? And how could anyone read the thousands of responses from women who have reason to believe they can’t safely go out at night, and conclude that the real threat is to men?

Of course, some men did read the replies and pay attention, and their responses were very telling. “Wow, I feel horrible right now,” said one. “None of this has ever occurred to me as an issue. I run, I go do whatever I want whenever I want. Why aren’t women filled with uncontrollable rage all the time?” It’s a very good question, and I increasingly think he’s right, we should be.

Another man addressed me directly about this, asking, “When did it become socially acceptable to just bash men openly?”, and “Well what exactly do you propose we do about it, then?” Don’t tempt me, mister. Because when the crazy feminists finally take over the world, and steal your rights, and keep all the power for ourselves, people asking stupid questions like that will be the first to be locked up at night. And then we’ll go for a walk. A really long one. With our earbuds in.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/08/women-men-curfew-danger-fear?CMP=fb_gu
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: Imagine if men were afraid to walk home alone at night

Postby johnsmith » 09 Oct 2018, 11:07

firstly, the politicians would take the matter more seriously
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby Sprintcyclist » 09 Oct 2018, 11:19

mothra wrote:Imagine if men were afraid to walk home alone at night

There was uproar when women discussed an imaginary 9pm curfew on men, but the anger is misdirected

What do women really want? And what would the crazy feminists do if they finally managed to steal all the rights from men, lock them up at night and keep the power for themselves? Well, the answers are just in, thanks to a thought experiment, and they might surprise you. “Ladies … what would you do if all men had a 9pm curfew?” mused Danielle Muscato in a random Tuesday morning tweet, adding: “Dudes: read the replies and pay attention.”

Thousands of women responded, and the rather pathetic outcome is that if women found themselves in charge of the world, they would … walk places, sometimes, without feeling scared. Home from the station after work, maybe, or in the woods alone at night. Some would take the chance to buy their groceries while the shops are quiet. Lots would go for a run. Many said they would even listen to music on earbuds while doing so. Radical!

Men did read the replies, and some of them were furious. Demanding a 9pm curfew because you believe that all men are rapists is stupid, hysterical and basically the same as racism, they said, even though nobody had recommended imposing a curfew, or said that all men were anything. And, while it was sad to read how little it would take to make a lot of women really happy, it was also depressing to see people getting so angry about a hypothetical curfew, when women’s movement is curtailed in real life all the time.

Nearly four years ago, a man was sexually assaulting women in London, and police advised all local women to avoid walking alone at night until they caught him. This was December, so it was dark pretty much all the time. And the man still hasn’t been arrested. This is an actual curfew on women, recommended by the authorities (though of course I break it all the time to go out to work and back, and some men have told me that I jolly well deserve to be raped if I’m going to be so stubborn about it). Imagine if the police had instead asked men to stay in at night because of the behaviour of one man. The horror! Alongside the official advice, there is all the self-policing women do, sacrificing things we enjoy such as exercise or going out with friends or getting the night bus home. But nobody seemed to be angry about that.

A lot of the feelings seemed to be misdirected. Why were people so upset about several thousand women who spent a few seconds on a Tuesday morning enjoying imagining what they might do if they didn’t have to feel afraid? Where is all the anger towards the small proportion of men who make us have to be scared? And how could anyone read the thousands of responses from women who have reason to believe they can’t safely go out at night, and conclude that the real threat is to men?

Of course, some men did read the replies and pay attention, and their responses were very telling. “Wow, I feel horrible right now,” said one. “None of this has ever occurred to me as an issue. I run, I go do whatever I want whenever I want. Why aren’t women filled with uncontrollable rage all the time?” It’s a very good question, and I increasingly think he’s right, we should be.

Another man addressed me directly about this, asking, “When did it become socially acceptable to just bash men openly?”, and “Well what exactly do you propose we do about it, then?” Don’t tempt me, mister. Because when the crazy feminists finally take over the world, and steal your rights, and keep all the power for ourselves, people asking stupid questions like that will be the first to be locked up at night. And then we’ll go for a walk. A really long one. With our earbuds in.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/08/women-men-curfew-danger-fear?CMP=fb_gu

I am 100% with you here Mothra.
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby Bongalong » 10 Oct 2018, 21:59

Walking home at night is dangerous for men and women.

Mothra, men and women are not the same you f'n fruitcake.

:Hi

If men and women were the same women would be drafted to war.... you f'n fruitcake :Hi :Hi
Free what?
Bongalong
Irish wolfhound

Postby pinkeye » 11 Oct 2018, 00:28

Sprintcyclist wrote:
mothra wrote:Imagine if men were afraid to walk home alone at night

Where is all the anger towards the small proportion of men who make us have to be scared? And how could anyone read the thousands of responses from women who have reason to believe they can’t safely go out at night, and conclude that the real threat is to men?

our earbuds in.

I am 100% with you here Mothra.

Sorry I deleted some of the comment, /// but the points made are valid. oh yes indeed.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 11 Oct 2018, 00:30

Bongalong wrote:Walking home at night is dangerous for men and women.

If men and women were the same women would be drafted to war.... you f'n fruitcake :Hi :Hi

ERR sorry Mr Fruitcake.. when was the last draft of men to WAR.? Oh yeah in Australia I mean. :roll Frikkin'idiot fruit cake fool. Do you even know.? :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 11 Oct 2018, 14:40

pinkeye wrote:
Bongalong wrote:Walking home at night is dangerous for men and women.

ERR sorry Mr Fruitcake.. when was the last draft of men to WAR.? Oh yeah in Australia I mean. :roll Frikkin'idiot fruit cake fool. Do you even know.? :bgrin

Haven't you got metho to drink?

Free what?
Bongalong
Irish wolfhound

Postby Auggie » 12 Oct 2018, 21:33

We, men, are inherently more violent than women. I believe this to be a fact. This doesn't men more powerful than women, it makes them more flawed. Because of their inherent violence, men need to control and restrain their animalistic traits, whereas women don't have such inclinations to do so.

The biggest secret in the history of man and woman is this: the woman is inherently superior to the man because she is closer to the divine than the man; she is more evolved whereas the man isn't.
The taxpayer - that's someone who works for the Federal Government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination. - Ronald Reagan.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby Bongalong » 15 Oct 2018, 15:59

Auggie wrote:We, men, are inherently more violent than women. I believe this to be a fact. This doesn't men more powerful than women, it makes them more flawed. Because of their inherent violence, men need to control and restrain their animalistic traits, whereas women don't have such inclinations to do so.

The biggest secret in the history of man and woman is this: the woman is inherently superior to the man because she is closer to the divine than the man; she is more evolved whereas the man isn't.

Did women build society did they?

You're full of shit buddy
Free what?
Bongalong
Irish wolfhound

Postby Auggie » 15 Oct 2018, 17:33

Bongalong wrote:
Auggie wrote:We, men, are inherently more violent than women. I believe this to be a fact. This doesn't men more powerful than women, it makes them more flawed. Because of their inherent violence, men need to control and restrain their animalistic traits, whereas women don't have such inclinations to do so.

Funny that all powerful men were either married or had numerous female concubines/mistresses? Do you think that men would've been able to 'build' society without the gratification and support that women provided to them?
The taxpayer - that's someone who works for the Federal Government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination. - Ronald Reagan.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby Bongalong » 15 Oct 2018, 18:43

Auggie wrote:
Bongalong wrote:

Funny that all powerful men were either married or had numerous female concubines/mistresses? Do you think that men would've been able to 'build' society without the gratification and support that women provided to them?

Do you think back-pedalling actually helps you make an argument?

:bike :bike :b
Free what?
Bongalong
Irish wolfhound

Postby Auggie » 15 Oct 2018, 19:04

Bongalong wrote:
Auggie wrote:
Bongalong wrote:

Do you think back-pedalling actually helps you make an argument?

:bike :bike :b

Do you think that evasion helps you make an argument?
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby pinkeye » 16 Oct 2018, 23:50

Auggie wrote:
Bongalong wrote:

A more than fair comment. They had their wives, concubines and slaves to feed and care for them. :roll Lets not forget their mothers. ! AND .. many rich womean supported their husbands, just like now. :roll

Get over yourself Bongalongggg.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 18 Oct 2018, 19:43

pinkeye wrote:
Auggie wrote:
Bongalong wrote:

AUGGIE IS FULL OF SHIT,... IF YOU CAN'T WORK THAT OUT THEN THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM!
A more than fair comment. They had their wives, concubines and slaves to feed and care for them. :roll Lets not forget their mothers. ! AND .. many rich womean supported their husbands, just like now. :roll

Free what?
Bongalong
Irish wolfhound

Postby Auggie » 18 Oct 2018, 20:20

Bongalong wrote:
pinkeye wrote:
Auggie wrote:
Bongalong wrote:

AUGGIE IS FULL OF SHIT,... IF YOU CAN'T WORK THAT OUT THEN THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM!

You can talk up the car all you want, but it's the engine that matters. Women are the engine of men.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby fisherman » 19 Oct 2018, 01:38

This topic title essentially portrays 90% of the German men in Germany. The irony of life.
fisherman
Feral cat

Postby pinkeye » 19 Oct 2018, 01:41

Do you mean 90% of German men are afraid to walk alone at night.? .

Seriously?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby fisherman » 19 Oct 2018, 02:21

pinkeye wrote:Do you mean 90% of German men are afraid to walk alone at night.? .

Seriously?

Correct. I'm serious. I'm Bulgarian-Macedon-Italian and I've lived in Ticino, Switzerland and in Veneto, Italy. Germany was two feet away from me so I'd often take a drive to Bavaria. I also had a girlfriend from Germany. They simply don't go out because men and women are afraid. I only saw some skinheads outside at night who were pretty peaceful by the way. And migrants obviously. Lots of them.

If you happen to see someone outside and ask him a question in English at night, say ask for directions, he'll most likely make a distance between you two and on a very fast pace like almost running.
fisherman
Feral cat

Postby pinkeye » 19 Oct 2018, 03:07

it's a sad man-made world
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby fisherman » 19 Oct 2018, 06:52

pinkeye wrote:it's a sad man-made world

Sweden and Germany have the biggest feminist communities. The gender roles have been reversed there.
fisherman
Feral cat

Postby mothra » 19 Oct 2018, 13:56

fisherman wrote:

Sweden and Germany have the biggest feminist communities. The gender roles have been reversed there.

If the gender roles have been reversed, it's not feminism.
mothra
Duck

Postby fisherman » 19 Oct 2018, 13:57

mothra wrote:
fisherman wrote:

If the gender roles have been reversed, it's not feminism.

Yes, it is. It's modern feminism aka women turned into men, and men are feminised into little sassies.
fisherman
Feral cat

Postby mothra » 19 Oct 2018, 14:02

That's not even a little bit what feminism is.

I suggest you forget everything you think you know and re-educate yourself from the ground up.
mothra
Duck

Postby fisherman » 19 Oct 2018, 14:08

mothra wrote:That's not even a little bit what feminism is.

I suggest you forget everything you think you know and re-educate yourself from the ground up.

No need but thanks.

Feminism in 1940:

Feminism in 2020:

Feminism has been classified by many as a mental disease.
fisherman
Feral cat

Postby mothra » 19 Oct 2018, 14:19

Fine by me. Keep embarrassing yourself then.
mothra
Duck

Next

Return to Off Topic